RBC Dexia Reviews

2.8

RBC Dexia CEO Doug McGregor
Doug McGregor
1 Rating

Pros
  • Professional work environment, good compensation, worked with very good team members and learned a lot from each of them (in 7 reviews)

• Good work life balance, able to work shift hours so can get in and out early or what ever suits you (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • it would be nice to see senior management invest in their staff more (in 4 reviews)

• They tried to outsource all the jobs to Malaysia without getting the OK from the regulator or from the clients (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Place to begin Career...

Current Employee - Tech Support in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Tech Support in New York, NY

I have been working at RBC Dexia

Pros

The people are good to work with. Lot's of industry experience and willingness to train and teach Junior Staff. Work environment pace very fast.

Cons

Limited upward promotability. Unable to advance as area always looking to outsiders to bring in expertise. Once bitten / twice shy / three strikes and I was out...

Office is small, opportunities limited. Noticed lots of externals coming into organization into Senior positions. A little un-motivating as you don't want to try hard to work due to lack of recognition

Summer Intern

Current Employee - Securities Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Securities Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at RBC Dexia as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Good work environment
    - People were always pleasant and helpful
    - There was some training material available to learn more which I took advantage of

Cons

- The work was not too challenging but that was to be expected considering the position
    - It felt like there was a bit of a culture of excess sometimes, but it's a bank so I guess you have to expect that too

None really, my experience was good, training material was available, compensation level was good, there weren't benefits but it was a summer job.

Good

Former Employee - Securities Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Securities Analyst in London, England (UK)

Pros

Cons

Sometimes there's a feeling of a culture of excess, would've liked more opportunities for professional development, the management just does their own thing and didn't listen to suggestions

Focus more on professional development

I loved working at RBC Dexia but should never have transferred internally.

Former Employee - Senior Administrator in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Senior Administrator in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at RBC Dexia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Everyone very friendly and chatty. Nicest place I've ever worked.
    Good perk was getting a bus pass free and clear as a benefit.
    Good bonus.
    Employees did a lot of socialising together and there was a committee to arrange staff nights out. Met my husband at one of them!
    Once I was trained I was let do my job without interference, but the support was there when I needed help.

Cons

I switched from TA to Fund Accounting - huge mistake - FA very boring job, no client interaction. Mostly priniting off massive reports and ticking thru them ALL day. I thought a change would be as good as a holiday but I was very wrong, had to leave the company to get out of FA. (Was too embarrassed to ask for another transfer).
    Interview process was a bit too casual, got the sense that they were asking certain questions out of habit and not listening to answers. I suppose I shouldn't really complain since they hired me.

Give some variety or some more interaction to the poor Fund Accountants- very high turnover in that department.
    Keep doing what you're doing otherwise, RBC Dexia is a lovely place to work.

Can seem directionless...

Former Employee - Technical Systems Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Technical Systems Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at RBC Dexia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The groups are relatively small which means you get to know your team and in most instances Senior Managers relatively easily

Cons

Uncoordinated efforts and mismanagement in general leads to a lot of wasted effort and underutilized staff

Streamline and focus on strategic initiatives and have your managers utilize staff better ensuring they are recognized for their work

frustrating and demotivating

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at RBC Dexia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good location close to financial core

Cons

Disorganized management, excessive meetings, poor vision, exploitive managerial techniques, unhappy staff

needs better vision to manage personnel more humanely

Great bunch of employees, terrible management (most of them are gone now)

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at RBC Dexia full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Under the old management, spending was out of control, no clear direction

Now under RBC, it's integration pain, but should be much better with RBC management

Cons

Job loss, Treatment of RBC Dexia employees

Whoever you are keeping, treat them well, not differently than other RBC employees

Good people, dying company

Former Employee - Senior Technical Analyst in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Analyst in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at RBC Dexia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people in some areas. Others are very self-serving and will try to palm off work to other areas and avoid any liability for mistakes or deliverables.

Cons

Poorly paid. Not growing. Management seems intent in cutting off their nose to spite their face. A lack of investment in employees nd off-shoring is the wrong focus for client service and attracting new clients.

Instead of sending roles overseas find some salespeople that can win new business.

Depressing experience, I really saw how NOT to run a company

Former Employee - Senior Fund Accountant in Zürich (Switzerland)
    Former Employee - Senior Fund Accountant in Zürich (Switzerland)

I worked at RBC Dexia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

some nice people but most of them have quit over the last 6 months

Cons

-Poor Salary
    -Extremely bad management
    -French Mafia, if you aren't French then you have no chance in this company. Basically all the French speakers have been sent out to all the other branches from Luxembourg and have their own little clique. If you don't speak French then you have no chance to go any where in this company. They look out for each other and persecute the others.
    -They tried to outsource all the jobs to Malaysia without getting the OK from the regulator or from the clients!!! Since then this company has gotten worse and worse.
    -There is a hiring stop in Zürich and lots of people have quit, those that are left have to do more and more work, who in turn also get tired and also quit!!

-Be honest
    -Hire some good workers who speak more than one language!
    -Listen to your workers we deal with the clients everyday we know what they want

Pretty good experience on a challenging global project, but too many hands steering the ship.

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at RBC Dexia as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Strong PMO approach, methodology, etc. Development of standards, templates, processes, auditing etc. were still in progress but on the right track.

Cons

The IT teams are very fragmented, making collaboration very challenging. There were too many hands steering the ship on a global project, several changes in the management and operational teams, and a lack of willingness to deal with poor vendor performance.

RBC Dexia Photos

office
Three Friends (Photo thanks to Flickr user Reto Fetz, Some Rights Reserved)
RBC Dexia (Toronto, ON) (Photo thanks to Flickr user JasonParis, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo