RBC Insurance
www.rbcinsurance.com Mississauga, Canada 1000 to 5000 Employees

RBC Insurance Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014
RBC Insurance – “Outside Look”

RBC Insurance President and CEO Neil Skelding

Neil Skelding

Pretty good

Mississauga, ON (Canada)

ProsAll the perks of a big company, lots of opportunities if you go looking for them. Many of the people I have met so far are very friendly and eager to share their experiences. The internal job website is very useful to see what else is out there.

ConsNone so far, though some coworkers seem pretty cynical and lack ambition, there seems to be a lack of talent. I imagine the hours would be tough for someone with more responsibilities.

They no longer exist

Agent (Former Employee)
    Spartanburg, SC

ProsThey had great managers. They had achievable requirement for conference trips. They gave you a book of business to work from which was extremely nice. That was my first introduction into insurance services and I didn't realize how good I had it from that standpoint.

ConsTheir products available to sell were limited. Part of this was due to them being on the market to be sold. RBC had banks in the Southeast and had purchased Liberty Life Insurance Company as their insurance arm in 2000 and then in 2010 RBC sold Liberty Life and has completely pulled out of the United States.

Working for RBC Insurance was a demotivating experience.

Licensing Specialist (Former Employee)
    Greenville, SC

ProsRBC Insurance had great products, but that is where it stops. The building had a small gym/exercise room and a cafeteria.

ConsRBC Insurance offered no opportunities for professional growth or career advancement. There was no information and knowledge sharing. It was like "us vs. them." Everything was kept at a hush-hush. It was a threatening environment. If we did not meet our outrageous goals then we were threatened with termination on a daily basis. The treatment of a team members was not equal. There were obvious favored teammates who did not have to meet their goals. By the way, I met my goals (killed myself doing it) and ended up quitting because of the low pay and even lower morale. This job turned me into a workalholic.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the dead weight. Treat all of the employees with respect and fairly. Set meetable goals and stop threatening termination. Positive reinforcement works better.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A Good Company

Agent (Current Employee)
    Baton Rouge, LA

ProsCo - workers are great to work with and all are team players. Pay is average to above average.

ConsCompany doesn't advertise at all and you have limited products to offer your clients.

Advice to Senior Management.

RBC Insurance U.S.

Director, Agency Development (Former Employee)
    Greenville, SC

ProsRBC is a strong company financially. Generally, the people in the Greenville office are terrific to work with. The home office is in a beautiful facility, and benefits are good.

ConsThe parent company is not committed to growth of the insurance company in the United States. The U.S. home office has been troubled by weak leadership at the top and within the distribution channels..

Advice to Senior ManagementThe U.S. operation has some terrific talent, but you need to get the right leaders on the bus, and get the wrong leaders off!

Horrible work environment

Underwriting Support (Former Employee)

Pros8-4 job, no over time needed

ConsToo much competition
    No respect amongst team members or from management

Definitely more about the dollar then the customer or even employee.

RBC Licensed Insurance Advisor (Former Employee)
    Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsNice people work there and those people work very hard. You can still see the hope in the new employees.

ConsYour best was never good enough.
    Some managers didn't have the skill sets to be a manager.
    My manager spelled my name wrong for the first 6 months. Felt like an employee number at times and not the employee.

7 years In IT

Part of IT (Current Employee)

ProsGood peers, training is provided

ConsPoor management, limited room for growth, managers have favourites, directors don't care to provide fair direction for mangers.
    Pay is average but expectations are extremely high standard for your job. People leave and are not replaced, other staff is expected to pick up the slack.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider keeping your employees by being fair. Cost of living has gone up, RBC has had profit earnings but this is not passed on to staff, instead they only provide increases to limited few (ones that are in flight).

Huge Learning Experience

Life and Living Benefits Advisor (Current Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros-Great support
    -Base pay included
    -Industry leading institution

Cons-OTE is lacking due to compensation structure
    -Alot of micromanagement

Advice to Senior Management-Change the comp structure to better reward the performers and get rid of the slackers. They are wasting resources.

tsa

TSA (Former Employee)
    Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Prosgreat company, nice management, love to work for them

Conslow salary, no promotion in years

Advice to Senior Managementtoo slow

Worked for RBC Insurance? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at RBC Insurance reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for RBC Insurance CEO Neil Skelding. All 32 reviews posted anonymously by RBC Insurance employees.