RBC Insurance Reviews

3.6

RBC Insurance President and CEO Neil Skelding
Neil Skelding

Review of RBC Insurance

Current Employee - Senior Disability Claims Adjudicator  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Disability Claims Adjudicator in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at RBC Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There is a good working environment.

Cons

Senior Management always takes a reactive approach with staffing issues and wait for 3 or 4 employees to leave before they readjust salaries. They also tend to promote people based on seniority rather than merit and potential for growth.

Take a risk and promote people with potential and stand behind your decisions. Promoting the more senior people is not the way to go.

They no longer exist

Former Employee - Agent  in  Spartanburg, SC
    Former Employee - Agent in Spartanburg, SC

I worked at RBC Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

They had great managers. They had achievable requirement for conference trips. They gave you a book of business to work from which was extremely nice. That was my first introduction into insurance services and I didn't realize how good I had it from that standpoint.

Cons

Their products available to sell were limited. Part of this was due to them being on the market to be sold. RBC had banks in the Southeast and had purchased Liberty Life Insurance Company as their insurance arm in 2000 and then in 2010 RBC sold Liberty Life and has completely pulled out of the United States.

Working for RBC Insurance was a demotivating experience.

Former Employee - Licensing Specialist  in  Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Licensing Specialist in Greenville, SC

I worked at RBC Insurance

Pros

RBC Insurance had great products, but that is where it stops. The building had a small gym/exercise room and a cafeteria.

Cons

RBC Insurance offered no opportunities for professional growth or career advancement. There was no information and knowledge sharing. It was like "us vs. them." Everything was kept at a hush-hush. It was a threatening environment. If we did not meet our outrageous goals then we were threatened with termination on a daily basis. The treatment of a team members was not equal. There were obvious favored teammates who did not have to meet their goals. By the way, I met my goals (killed myself doing it) and ended up quitting because of the low pay and even lower morale. This job turned me into a workalholic.

Get rid of the dead weight. Treat all of the employees with respect and fairly. Set meetable goals and stop threatening termination. Positive reinforcement works better.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A Good Company

Current Employee - Agent  in  Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Agent in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at RBC Insurance

Pros

Co - workers are great to work with and all are team players. Pay is average to above average.

Cons

Company doesn't advertise at all and you have limited products to offer your clients.

RBC Insurance U.S.

Former Employee - Director, Agency Development  in  Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Director, Agency Development in Greenville, SC

I worked at RBC Insurance

Pros

RBC is a strong company financially. Generally, the people in the Greenville office are terrific to work with. The home office is in a beautiful facility, and benefits are good.

Cons

The parent company is not committed to growth of the insurance company in the United States. The U.S. home office has been troubled by weak leadership at the top and within the distribution channels..

The U.S. operation has some terrific talent, but you need to get the right leaders on the bus, and get the wrong leaders off!

Good Opportunity for the right type of Salesperson

Current Employee - RBC Licensed Insurance Advisor
    Current Employee - RBC Licensed Insurance Advisor

I have been working at RBC Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pays a steady base salary

Cons

Cold Calling and late nights

RBC is a strong financial company with a lot of growth opportunities

I have been working at RBC Insurance for more than 3 years

Pros

Good compensation and benefits, brand recognition.

Cons

Moving up in your career can be difficult unless you're good at networking

Claims Examiner

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster  in  Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at RBC Insurance full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Room for growth, great benefits, stock options and sick days paid when required. Great coverage and prices for personal banking if employee. No fee account allowed

Cons

No team spirit, unrealistic goals passed down from upper and Middle Management, back biting and lack of moral. Divide and conquer attitude from upper and middle management, non cohesive sneaky behaviour not fitting of RBC's mission statement.

Please look into the practice's of your middle management and see if the leadership is in step with what RBC profess to be. In practice it is really not. Too many hidden agendas.

WARNING - Do your full due diligence and homework before joining!

I worked at RBC Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

RBC Insurance is (RBCI) associated with one of the best brands in Canada/North America.

I can only provide context about Alberta Field Sales.

Every employee in Field Sales (think of of those adjacent RBCI branches next to a RBC Royal Bank) has practiced and been coached to let you know "Why RBCI". Most of the reasons are linked to the parent RBC Umbrella. Every position is unique with its own Pros and Cons.

90% of your employee experience will be contingent on which area of RBCI you work in, which province, and who your direct leader is.

I recommend to anyone thinking of joining RBC Insurance to do your "homework" which should include 1) talking to people that work there, 2) reaching out to previous RBCI employees (use your LinkedIn!), 3) Mystery shop the RBC Insurance area that you are looking at, and 3) Asking lots of great questions. Dig deep and ask about their employee engagement, sales results, and turnover. Ask about the time in role for most of the leaders and their direct reports. Ask some key questions around their metrics - how many advisors met target last year, how many are meeting, how many made variable pay. Who were in the top 15/20/25% last year and are they still around?

RBCI has a LOT of reporting in place and this information is readily available.

Overall the salary, benefits, and total compensation are good. Banking and Insurance benefits to employees are really good.

Cons

The employee engagement results have been very poor relative and absolute to the rest of the RBCI and even RBC organization. Ask for your individual business unit's engagement scores and compare across and up.

There is a culture of disrespect for the employees which ultimately impacts the customer experience.

This is an environment of "crisis management", "reactive fire drills", and "micromanagement" (think LOTS of tracking and reporting of 85% of your activities, being directed what and how to do your job, and participating in low value conference calls and meetings.

Do not confuse RBCI with RBC or RBC Royal Bank - night and day. Their value propositions are not similar.

Ask about the employee engagement scores of the last tow Regional Leaders (Regional Vice Presidents). They are currently looking for a another new leader for Alberta.

A LOT of great leaders and advisors have left RBCI in the last 12-18 months - find out why.

The on-boarding and training is limited and very "self managed".

The senior leaders in Toronto are unable to relate to others outside of Ontario.

Do your homework and make an informed decision before you join.

Look at your key metrics (especially around your employee engagement) and investigate.

There are systemic and root issues that have been ignored. Y

You will not attract the talent you want.

RBCI has the potential to be an amazing organization...

Horrible work environment

Former Employee - Underwriting Support
    Former Employee - Underwriting Support

I worked at RBC Insurance as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

8-4 job, no over time needed

Cons

Too much competition
    No respect amongst team members or from management

Worked for RBC Insurance? Contribute to the Community!