RBC Wealth Management

Updated October 16, 2014
3.3

RBC Wealth Management President and Co-CEO Mark Standish
Mark Standish

Pros
  • The Work Life Balance is very respected here (in 8 reviews)

• Some of the people are nice to work with/for (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and high pressure environment (in 4 reviews)

• Technologically, in terms of the back office systems, they are somewhat lagging behind (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Summer Intern

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at RBC Wealth Management as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Well structured internship program with comprehensive training and after work events. Paid well hourly and included overtime.

Cons

My department was quite small and wasn't hiring for full time

Definitely not a leading edge company. Very good benefits. Limited growth opportunities for employees

I worked at RBC Wealth Management full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are very good. Work/life balance very good but declining.

Cons

One of the most politically motivated organizations I've been a part of over 25 years of industry experience. Lack of vision (maybe local level?).

N/A

Missing the boat

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at RBC Wealth Management full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Generally good people, decent benefits, organizational growth underway in US which opens the possibility of positive change. Financially strong parent provides a degree of security during bad times.

Cons

Parent company is very bureaucratic, slow to react, lacks sense of urgency, misunderstands US market. Pinches pennies in all the wrong places - e.g. Technology platform is antiquated (quite literally, obsolete - IE 7, Microsoft Office 2003, major latency issues....make day to day activities daunting) and the organization is seemingly unwilling to fix it. Notable gender bias, although that is unfortunately not unusual for the industry. Mentally exhausting place to work.

Eventually you're going to have to invest in technology infrastructure. The longer you put it off, the harder and more expensive it will be. We will not be competitive in our industry and will have a very hard time retaining employees otherwise.

Great company to work for - great people.

I have been working at RBC Wealth Management

Pros

Great people who truly care about clients and employees

Cons

Dependent upon your role - too much work with not enough employees

Excellent Benefits, Low Recognition, Generic Vision

I worked at RBC Wealth Management full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Experienced good work/life balance, inclusive and diverse mindset, supervisors and managers very kind. Great twin cities presence with a wannabe national presence.

Cons

Most support departments have reporting to Canadian HQ, which creates a lot of wait and see for budgets and projects. CEO John Taft primarily out for his own legacy, although he is well-liked in the field and a media darling.

Get a vision, support projects with discipline

A lot of work with no reward.

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at RBC Wealth Management full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great customer service experience. Very high paced and demanding of high organization skills. If you don't have organization, you will learn it quickly.

Cons

Repetitious, fast paced customer service with many upset brokers that yell at you over the phone. High stress industry, Low base salaries compared to industry standards, and no growth potential.

Flexible, Low Stress, Fast Paced Environment.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at RBC Wealth Management as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The Work Life Balance is very respected here. People's time is respected and you aren't asked to work long hours unless there's some urgent business which usually isn't the case.
    Compensation and Benefits are good and they have a generous tuition reimbursment program.
    Little micro-management and lots of room for growth. If you're willing to grow your role, you will be allowed to.
    Upper management makes a real effort at listening to employee needs i.e. doubling their efforts to encourage peer driven awards and recognition.

Cons

Not the BEST employee discounts offerings
    Project/budget approval process can be lengthy.
    There really isn't much to complain about here.

Go to another financial firm

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at RBC Wealth Management full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the people are nice to work with/for.

Cons

The Management/Supervisors care more about liking you on a personal level than how hard of a worker you are. Also, every 2 years the employees take a survey about the management, but the last survey was so bad that it took management almost a year to tell us the reviews. Also, the branches take a review on the back office employees (which that is what I did) and even though the reviews were very good.....management said it could be better. It is like a compliment on one hand and a slap in the face on the other.

Fast growing organization with great people

I worked at RBC Wealth Management full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Intelligent, hard-working, results-driven, yet unusually caring group of Investment Bankers.

Cons

While the organization successfully took advantage of the opportunities left by larger IBanks in the past few years, there were some understandable "growing pains" felt administratively and culturally.

Retain the valuable knowledge Analysts and Associates gain in their initial >80 hr/week over the course of 2 years out of school, versus seeing them go to competitors for the next step in their career.

Colleagues were very nice however I believe staff was underutilized.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at RBC Wealth Management full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Staff was great and never had issues with scheduling time off.

Cons

Compensation was lacking and felt that the talents of a lot of the staff members were underutilized which limited any growth potential for employees.

I feel that most of the staff has been there for a very long time, which their loyalty is great, however I think they may want to realize the importance of fresh faces and ideas and utilize differing viewpoints. I think when you are hiring someone new it may be a good idea to use their previous experience to RBC's benefit by looking at what things are different and what things work better/worse.