RBG Advertising Reviews

Parkash Ahuja

Totally Transformed Company

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Walnut Creek, CA

Pros

Recently RBG went through a fundamental change in how the business is conducted in this boutique advertising agency. The company created a shared vision, communicated to the employees, and created a road map to implement that vision. The vision is focused on team building, positive work environment, balance of life, superior client services, relentless attention to detail, and having fun together. The employees get meals three days a week, unlimited healthy snacks - fruits - protein bars - coffee - tea everyday. Employees are encouraged to take their vacation time off, and to top it all - the employees are given 100% company paid medical/dental benefits. WOW.

Cons

The time it is taking to fully implement the change RBG embarked upon and to change people's perception about this company. It is already a different company than it used to be, and more changes are yet to come.

Advice to Management

Continue to do the right things for employees and everything else will fall at its place including the service levels.

Wrong Train to Board, Destined to Derail.

I worked at RBG Advertising full-time

Pros

Learning what type of agency not to work for.

Cons

This is a small agency with about 10-15 employees. They take on a huge caseload to try and turn more profit, which makes the agency seem fruitful. However, this is not the case. The owners have recently purchased the agency, taking on more work than they have the capacity to handle. This leaves the staff extremely overworked and way underpaid. Instead of decent benefits and competitive salaries, they entice their staff with free dinners and paid lunches. Furthermore, the career ladder at RBG is extremely short. The staff consists predominantly of young professionals. Often these first time employees will work for lower wages in hopes to make a breakthrough into the industry. This is due to the fact that the agency does not have the finances to pay someone more experienced. The interns are exploited for cheap labor with false promises of employment after the completion of their internship. When a staff member is on leave, an intern fills that individual's shoes, which goes against CA guidelines for interns. RBG Advertising preys on these two groups of young professionals as a cheap labor source. The work coming out of this agency is mediocre and does not compare to other agencies in the San Francisco Bay Area. Some of the staff hold position by default with little to no formal training for that role. The duties of an intern consist mainly of busy work. There is no learning/mentorship gained from this internship. There nothing educational learned such as client interaction, or business operations related to a specific role, etc. There is a lack of professionalism and good moral practices within this agency. Management belittles interns by ridiculing and yelling at them. The owner rudely and passively attacks people in the workplace. An employee was asked to bring friends to the office when a big client is visiting to make the space seem more staffed. Sexual prejudice is an issue at RBG as well. Only good-looking interns are cute enough to sit at the front desk. This company is under new management but adheres to old management policies that are unfavorable for employees. When reading other comments on Glassdoor, you will see a similar trend of issues relating to poor business practices. RBG usually rebuttals negative Glassdoor posts by blaming former management. However, both new and old management have the same issues.

Advice to Management

Create a work a environment where worth is paced on their employee.

One of the worst places I have ever worked:

Former Employee - Media Buying Intern in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Media Buying Intern in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at RBG Advertising full-time

Pros

Small Agency. Good and intelligent co-workers.

Cons

Awful leadership. The CEO at the time was one of the most demeaning people I have ever met in my entire life. During daily morning meetings, he would berate interns that were never properly trained, inform them how much smarter than them he is - call them stupid, idiotic, yell, quote how much money he had in the bank as reasoning for why he was/is so much better than everyone else in the office. The VP of the company ran everything - she is very capable and intelligent, I honestly have no idea why she never started her own company or moved somewhere she would be more valued. CEO treated her as a glorified secretary, HR director, training manual. INTERN CITY: more interns at the company than full-time employees. With one week of informal training, sometimes less, the CEO expected interns to be able to operate as experienced media buying professionals. Should interns not be able to immediately perform or provide results in line with expectations they would be fired/let-go without warning.

Advice to Management

Get over yourself and treat your employees with even a tiny amount of respect, maybe then they would want to contribute more.

RBG Advertising Response

Feb 9, 2015 – Managing Director

We sincerely apologize and understand how you may feel this way. You may have been at RBG some time ago (although your post is recent) and there have been numerous changes for the better since then ... More

Terrible Internship "Opportunity"

Former Employee - Intern in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at RBG Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was excited when I landed this internship in the East Bay at a small Agency to get my feet wet in the industry, I quickly learned that this experience would be a nightmare. The only pro was the people I met who were duped into the same "opportunity" I was. Most of them are very successful in advertising now.

Cons

The President of the company is extremely psychotic and verbally abusive. I am very capable of taking harsh criticism and be yelled at, but this man bordered on downright terrible. He used to rate me on a number scale which I found very degrading and offensive. The company claims to hire interns based on performance but when I was there I noticed that there were only a handful of employees and a huge number of interns (which changed daily, interns literally left crying after their first day and never came back - I would say about 90%). One of the employees told me they hadnt hired an intern in years and the system was used to avoid salary and healthcare costs. This was very discouraging for a hardworking intern looking for a break. There was so much misleading dishonesty that it was depressing to go to work each day. Lastly, beware of positive reviews on this site. It came to my attention that the Presidents wife was creating fake accounts on here to write rave reviews. I lasted the full term of my internship, but not a single other intern in my class did, nor did the many after them. Hold out for something better.

Advice to Management

Be honest with your interns. It is good for the resume, but there is no growth. People deserve to know the truth.

RBG Advertising Response

Dec 16, 2014 – Managing Director

We sincerely apologize and understand how you may feel this way. You may have been at RBG some time ago and there have been numerous changes for the better since then. We acknowledge that the ... More

Phenomenal Agency. Far beyond expectations.

I have been working at RBG Advertising full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I originally came upon this job thru a recruiter. Interview process was pretty significant, but I found it to be a challenge. When I got the job, I was excited but still unsure what to expect... This opportunity has turned out to be a position and company far above my expectations. The team here is amazing and very supportive of one another. The leaders are brilliant. I feel like I made the right decision by accepting this job. I have already been promoted 3 times and I love that my hard/smart work and dedication has been acknowledged in that way. Sometimes I guess we stumble upon something and it turns out to be the best "stumble" we've ever made. I look forward to many more years of success and growth here.

Cons

No doubt that those who don't work hard or do their job well will find it to be a challenge here. I have had no issues as long as I do what I have promised for my clients and my team members. Anyone with less of a positive experience likely knows why and aren't likely cut from the right cloth for this position.

Hired directly from Internship!

I have been working at RBG Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This was such a great opportunity for me. I got the internship after graduating from college. I have learned an amazing amount about marketing, advertising and media. Yes it was a lot of hard work. But so worth it. 2 days before my internship was over - I received a job offer! I am so happy! My family has been very supportive and they were really excited for me also. This was defiintely the best decision I made. I hightly recommend the internship program to anyone who wants to grow and have opportunities available to them that they otherwise wouldn't have without the experience already.

Cons

There are definitely some long hours here and it is very fast paced. Still able to have work life balance as weekends are my own.

8. Great Organization. Awesome job!

Current Employee - Account Manager in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at RBG Advertising full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have had a great working experience at the company. I have learned so much about analytics, metrics and optimizing campaigns so that clients get the best results and performance out of their campaigns. The environment here is fast paced and very exciting. I like the team that I work with. Everyone works together which is very nice. The CEO himself has actually groomed and mentored me quite a bit. You would never find that in a large organization. I enjoy working here.

Cons

Very fast paced. Long hour and a lot of metrics and analytics. I really enjoy numbers so I guess that isn't really a con for me - but something to be aware of. You really need to be comfortable with math and Excel to do well here.

9. Extraordinary Agency and Experience

Current Employee - EVP in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - EVP in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at RBG Advertising full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The neuroscience, analytics and metrics performed at this agency are phenomenal. So you learn a lit more than at a standard agency and this advances you well beyond your peers. This agency is very forward thinking and are doing things that other agencies haven't even begun to embark on. My experience here has been very positive. I have had other job offers since joining this team, but see my strongest future here.

Cons

Long hours and hard work. But so far has seemed to pay off for me.

10. Solid Company for Great Career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at RBG Advertising full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have found this company to be a great opportunity for me. Management very fair and supportive. Everyone here works well together and definitely helps each other. Client base is strong and I truly enjoy working with the clients that I am managing. Lots of opportunity for growth here. Promotions are given freely with merit. I think that's awesome because there is no red tape. If I perform, I am rewarded and that is how I prefer it. Rather than with a large company where everything is standardized.

Cons

Definitely a lot of work. Lots of deadlines and hurdles, but the nature of the beast I guess. I am the one who chose this field. Surely not for the faint of heart.

11. Company launched my career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at RBG Advertising full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

i worked at RBG for over 5 years and I can honestly say that this organization truly launched my career. At first I thought that it wasn't going to work out. But then I got into the swing of things and really caught on. Now I consider myself head and shoulders above others in the agency world. We wore so many hats that I am able to do most anything which had made me very marketable now that I have moved on. I look at the experience as a great one that surely paid off for me.

Cons

This isn't easy work. Expectations are high and you will swim or sink. But the team is awesome so they really do help you out. I miss everyone.

RSS Feed </> Embed