RBG Advertising

Updated October 19, 2014
Updated October 19, 2014
3.5

Parkash Ahuja

Phenomenal Agency. Far beyond expectations.

I have been working at RBG Advertising full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I originally came upon this job thru a recruiter. Interview process was pretty significant, but I found it to be a challenge. When I got the job, I was excited but still unsure what to expect... This opportunity has turned out to be a position and company far above my expectations.
    The team here is amazing and very supportive of one another. The leaders are brilliant. I feel like I made the right decision by accepting this job.
    I have already been promoted 3 times and I love that my hard/smart work and dedication has been acknowledged in that way. Sometimes I guess we stumble upon something and it turns out to be the best "stumble" we've ever made.
    I look forward to many more years of success and growth here.

Cons

No doubt that those who don't work hard or do their job well will find it to be a challenge here. I have had no issues as long as I do what I have promised for my clients and my team members. Anyone with less of a positive experience likely knows why and aren't likely cut from the right cloth for this position.

Lots of opportunity, but interns are exploited

I worked at RBG Advertising as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Small agency: In part because the agency was so small, interns were given the opportunity to touch multiple pieces of business and gain experience across multiple outlets: media, account, analytics.
    - Location: Decent location in downtown Walnut Creek.

Cons

- Small agency: During my time at RBG, there were more interns in the office than full-time employees. This was a problem because they exploited and overworked interns, expecting them to produce work they would otherwise have hired a full-time employee to do despite having minimal experience. At the end of the internship, instead of hiring people full-time, the standard procedure was to extend the internship for a few more months (presumably in order to continue getting the same amount of work without compensating employees fairly)
    - No work/life balance: I was told there would be long hours and because of this, an East Bay candidate was strongly preferred. What they didn't communicate before accepting was that the hours would be 12 hours per day, no exceptions. On Fridays, we worked 10 hours and were expected to believe we were being "rewarded" by getting out "early". Compensation was a small monthly stipend. We were made to feel guilty for eating lunch out of the office, requesting time off, etc.
    - Management: CEO has no respect for his employees and daily staff meetings consisted of him chewing out employees with insults rather than any type of constructive feedback. Tyrannical, condescending and downright abusive attitude made for a hostile work environment.
    - Extremely high turnover: Over the course of my internship, I saw more than 10 people start and quit. The majority of these people quit within one week of beginning, both interns and full-time employees alike.

It has been a few years since my experience at RBG and somewhere between the fake, positive reviews and more recent reviews, it seems things may have taken a turn for the better. I can only hope improvements have been made, as it seemed this place was ready to go under by the time I finished my internship.

The advice I would give to management is to begin treating your employees with respect and offer opportunities from growth fueled by training, proper supervision and constructive feedback. Work/life balance has room for drastic improvement and non-existent culture should be developed in order to increase employee retention.

The worst company I ever worked at and I worked at 8 other companies.

I worked at RBG Advertising as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

They had a coffee machine, and it wasn't bad.

Work-life balance was ok.

Cons

Not enough clients, income coming in, growth.

Pay was the worst of any of the 8 companies I worked at.

They were not happy about asking for time-off.

Company values were off.

If you can't pay people well I advise you to have less people which would save money to invest into an environment that's easier for people to work in. I understand that the CEO wanted the company to grow but a tyrannical attitude is not the way at such a small and transparent company. E.X. scared away a good employee.

Oct 13, 2014Managing Director

We sincerely apologize and understand how you may feel this way. We acknowledge that the previous RBG culture was in line with your comments. In the past 6 months, however, RBG has undergone a ... More

Internship: Cheap Labor Opportunity for RBG

I worked at RBG Advertising as an intern

Pros

I learned about how ad agencies work and I imagine it could have been a good stepping stone if I had been smitten with advertising enough to devote every waking moment to it.

Cons

I thought I would be mentored and learn something here while working hard, but it turns out they just use their interns for free labor (since I'm pretty sure they fund their interns with government money). I worked late every day and (literally) all weekend, and experienced a fair bit of verbal abuse from the company's owner and manager. There's a culture of 100% complete devotion to work here, and the managers are not afraid of humiliating you to get what they need out of you. Additionally, the ad campaigns were outdated and artistically underwhelming.

I ultimately felt that I was treated with disrespect, and would not recommend this internship to anyone--there must be better agencies out there where your hard work is rewarded with better learning opportunities and higher quality output.

Oct 13, 2014Managing Director

The biggest scam...RUN the other way!

Former Employee - Media Intern in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Media Intern in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at RBG Advertising as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The are no pros to this company. They should close up shop now.

Cons

If you don't want to waste your time, run the other way. This company is full of scammers. They abuse interns, overworking and underpaying them. There are only 6 real employees, they hire endless amounts of interns to do their dirty work. Morale is horrible here...I was depressed coming in everyday. The execs are degrading and speak to you as if you're incompetent. Do not use their website as a reference for their work/clientele, because they really only work on 3 healthcare accounts.

Please stop abusing interns because that is all you can afford. If you can't pay actual employees to have your business running successfully, you need to shut down.

Oct 13, 2014Managing Director

This company is full of scammers, hence the fake glowing reviews

I worked at RBG Advertising as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Absolutely nothing. They do not care about you as an employee. They take advantage of poor graduates just looking to get their foot in the door. Don't waste your time.

Cons

-Management is horrible/verbally abusive/"professional" bullies
    -CEO does not know how to manage his team or run his company
    -No real room for growth - they start you as an intern to pay you the bare minimum and over work you. If you decide to quit before your 4 month contract, you will OWE them money (which I would think is illegal). Read the fine print on the contract before signing anything, or better yet, DO NOT work here!
    -ONLY 5-6 actual employees, the rest are interns

Close down. You are wasting your client's money and time, not to mention your staff who somehow manage to come in everyday despite the poor morale.

Oct 13, 2014Managing Director

Hired directly from Internship!

I have been working at RBG Advertising full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This was such a great opportunity for me. I got the internship after graduating from college.
    I have learned an amazing amount about marketing, advertising and media.
    Yes it was a lot of hard work. But so worth it.
    2 days before my internship was over - I received a job offer! I am so happy!
    My family has been very supportive and they were really excited for me also.
    This was defiintely the best decision I made. I hightly recommend the internship program to anyone who wants to grow and have opportunities available to them that they otherwise wouldn't have without the experience already.

Cons

There are definitely some long hours here and it is very fast paced. Still able to have work life balance as weekends are my own.

Great Organization. Awesome job!

Current Employee - Account Manager in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at RBG Advertising full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have had a great working experience at the company. I have learned so much about analytics, metrics and optimizing campaigns so that clients get the best results and performance out of their campaigns. The environment here is fast paced and very exciting. I like the team that I work with. Everyone works together which is very nice.
    The CEO himself has actually groomed and mentored me quite a bit. You would never find that in a large organization. I enjoy working here.

Cons

Very fast paced. Long hour and a lot of metrics and analytics. I really enjoy numbers so I guess that isn't really a con for me - but something to be aware of. You really need to be comfortable with math and Excel to do well here.

Extraordinary Agency and Experience

Current Employee - EVP in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - EVP in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at RBG Advertising full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The neuroscience, analytics and metrics performed at this agency are phenomenal.
    So you learn a lit more than at a standard agency and this advances you well beyond your peers.
    This agency is very forward thinking and are doing things that other agencies haven't even begun to embark on.
    My experience here has been very positive. I have had other job offers since joining this team, but see my strongest future here.

Cons

Long hours and hard work. But so far has seemed to pay off for me.

Solid Company for Great Career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at RBG Advertising full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have found this company to be a great opportunity for me. Management very fair and supportive.
    Everyone here works well together and definitely helps each other.
    Client base is strong and I truly enjoy working with the clients that I am managing.
    Lots of opportunity for growth here. Promotions are given freely with merit. I think that's awesome because there is no red tape. If I perform, I am rewarded and that is how I prefer it. Rather than with a large company where everything is standardized.

Cons

Definitely a lot of work. Lots of deadlines and hurdles, but the nature of the beast I guess. I am the one who chose this field. Surely not for the faint of heart.