RBS Worldpay
www.rbsworldpay.com Atlanta, GA 1000 to 5000 Employees

RBS Worldpay Reviews

Updated Mar 21, 2014
RBS Worldpay – “270 Cambridge Science Park (Photo thanks to…”

RBS Worldpay CEO Philip Jansen

Philip Jansen

Pros:
  • "Good pay and benefits within the industry"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Remote work environment outside of ATL"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "I am amazed at the high turnover that remains though I left months ago I still see it"
    in 3 reviews
  • "The senior management team are disingenious, so that it is very likely that the FSA will investigate them soon"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Lots of support, growing and adapting to a changing marketplace

I have been working at RBS Worldpay full-time for more than a year

ProsThere are residuals and base salary. They give you lots of training and support on an on going basis. They listen and make changes when possible. Always seeking out new and improved ways of delivering a world class product. Smart people in management and a diverse organization.

ConsLike any opportunity it is what you make it. This industry requires a work ethic and accountability. Also an ability to adapt and learn new processes quickly.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe wheels could move a little faster at times. However in fairness, it is not always possible.

selling merchant services on the edge of the financial services chain

I have been working at RBS Worldpay full-time for more than 3 years

ProsStraight-up sales, walk into any business or networking event and find prospects. Enjoy autonomy, transactional sales, flexible hours, build your own business network, health care, decent training, increasingly sophisticated sales tools and infrastructure make this a fairly sticky gig. some smart folks in middle management.

ConsNo base salary. No residuals if not at quota. Less than 25% of sales team makes annual quota in the non-bank-affiliated SBM unit. Soul crushing to be instrumental in the merciless application of metrics mean that the less profitable customer accounts see regular hikes is fees, which erodes te referral base. in effect, the merchant services marketplace enforces a harsh regressive tax on the market; the smaller and more vulnerable the merchant the higher their fees will be.

Advice to Senior ManagementFirst stop being so stingy. Implement triple-bottom-line accounting. Recognize that even the business world is a community, and treat employees and customers accordingly.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Troublesome Environment

Help Desk Specialist I (Former Employee)

I worked at RBS Worldpay full-time for more than 5 years

ProsYou will get a check

ConsYour Pay or Acknowledgement will not be appropriate

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your employees

Too much micro management over the hourly employees.

Help Desk Specialist I (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at RBS Worldpay full-time for less than a year

ProsPeople get promoted often. You can really move up internally if you have the stomach to handle the micro management.

ConsThey get promoted because they have a high turnover rate. They are extreme micro managers. They force out the good people who would do the hard work but they have no concern because of their antiquated policies.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micro managing.

Not a good company to work for due to woeful management practices.

Account Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at RBS Worldpay full-time for more than a year

ProsBain is selling the company,

ConsPoor management resulting in lack of service, costly products, 90% turnover of sales force over the last five years, and most customers are leaving or have left due to these issues.

Great product and support but no residuals

Account Executive (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

I have been working at RBS Worldpay full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWorldPay has recently added great products and support tools from a secure mobile unit and terminal to a donation program.

ConsIf have a bad month, pay falls to below living. Cold calling is the way of life in markets where there is saturation and companies willing to say anything to get a sale.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not with hold residual income at any time.

Don't do it, just say no

Senior IT Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at RBS Worldpay full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMost of the front-line working people are incredibly kind and very knowledgeable. Many of them have been at this company for years and years and know just about everything there is to know about the credit card processing industry. Most of these people will literally give you the shirt off of their back. This would be a good place to get started in the processing industry and then move on to a place where you are appreciated.

ConsIt is not just a little ironic that Bain is listed by glassdoor.com as one of the best places to work. Since buying WorldPay (formerly Lynk, RBS WorldPay), Bain has been stripping and under-investing in this company. So, if you are in software development, expect to be working with (read: maintaining) 15+ year old software. On the personnel side, Bain has also been stripping out many of the hard-fought perks, like generous PTO and tuition reimbursement. There is no training at this company, no employee orientation, so you are thrown straight into the fire. For new hires, many of your peers are too busy to help you learn anything, so you must be a quick-study and very resourceful… and that’s just to keep your head above water. Most of the top management are paid bonuses to save money, so expect understaffing to be rampant and raises just about nonexistent. There is much infighting among the c-level management. Favoritism is standard. This company has never been particularly well-run or stable, but now that Bain is shopping them around for sale (see article in the WSJ), it is every man for himself. It is a toxic environment and it isn’t getting better. If you must work here, develop a thick skin and a mercenary attitude.

I thought it was going to be a great opportunity. It wasn't.

Account Executive (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at RBS Worldpay full-time for less than a year

ProsGood comp plan. Great systems. Everything is right at your fingertips.

ConsWay too much reporting and "mandatory" conference calls. Every morning, there were 2 conference calls about what you are going to sign that day. The first one was for everyone. The second one was required for those who are not on track to hit their goals. There didn't seem to be room for anyone unsure of what to do. All they want to know is how many are you going to sign. And then, if you missed your number, they set up another conference call to explain to upper management why you didn't hit your number. Also, there were countless reports that contain all the info from these conference calls that had to be submitted. If all I do is attend conference calls and complete reports, how can I go on sales calls so that I am on track? During the interview process, I was impressed and thought that this would be a great opportunity. Once I was onboard, everything changed.

Advice to Senior ManagementI understand the need for reporting. But, with so many conference calls and reports, and yelling at people on these calls, it makes for a bad environment. If someone is not achieving their numbers, there should be a focus on what is holding that salesperson back. Is it training? Or something else? The constant reporting and yelling make for an environment of constant turnover.

Its ok

Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at RBS Worldpay full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThings are changing. The company is struggling to find its identity and there are growing pains. But, there are still good people there that will work with you.

ConsThere is a silo-heavy feel and its buttressed by the division of labor within the building. 4th floor is operations/hourly employees. 3rd floor is IT and Risk/Marketing, each in their own wing. 2nd floor is executives and human resources. 1st floor is IT infrastructure and product development. These people dont talk to each other, but talk freely amonst themselves. Very strange

Constant re-orgs and lay offs.

IT Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at RBS Worldpay full-time for more than 8 years

ProsNone since Bain took over and are trying to lower costs to sell.

ConsTerrible senior management only concerned with getting their severance when the next round of lay offs is announced.

Bain consultants are running the place looking for any cost savings possible to make Worldpay look more profitable when they are sold.

Constant re-orgs and layoffs. Truly the worst work environment I have ever seen.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust come honest with whats happening. Don't carry on cloaking in HR double speak about values.

Worked for RBS Worldpay? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at RBS Worldpay reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for RBS Worldpay CEO Philip Jansen. All 53 reviews posted anonymously by RBS Worldpay employees.