RCN
www.rcn.com Princeton, NJ 5000+ Employees

RCN Reviews

Updated Apr 27, 2014
RCN – Herndon – “off to the right a bit you can see RCN, the once…”

Jim Holanda

Good place to work

SMT (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

Prospay and benefits are comprable to industry standard

ConsConstant change of reporting facilities

Advice to Senior ManagementN/a

Great people, committed to employees and great pricing on fiber and coax products

Manager (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsCompany values the employees and creates a fun, laid back environment that contributes to friendly interaction. I like the employee value statement.

ConsHavent been at RCN very long but I have not seen too many cons. One minor issue is that they have been through several changes in management so sometimes information about the network is hard to come by.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire an outside company to give you a clear picture of the network and be more transparent with information.

Small Company in A Big Way

Call Center (Former Employee)
    Arlington, MA

ProsClose knit group of employees with the average worker being at the company for 10 years. Free CPI with premium channels and TiVo. Company outings and incentives. Very well matching 401k and Ok benefits.

ConsSince people have worked here so long it's hard to move up from a lower position.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more feedback to your employees, like performance metrics on a bi monthly or monthly basis. Tighten down on office culture and rule out ipods, ipads, and phones during work.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work if you're lookign for a staedy paycheck and benefits.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Wilkes-Barre, PA

ProsGood 401K and Benefits, Competetive compensation package, job opportunity in depressed area, caring frontline management

ConsScheduling is inconvenient at times due to 24/7 hours of operation

This company is extremely frustrating to work for, you receive "no" training , tools or support in the field.

Account Manager (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThe actual product was good if you could make the moon and sun align and the customer actually received the product.

ConsThey had very little money for builds and no competitive pricing for the business customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn your market place, in order to compete.

While employed at RCN I was promoted numerous times.

Senior Territory Sales Manager (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGreat training,promoted from with in. unlimited oppurtunties if you were willing to put in the hard work.

ConsUnfortunately RCN over built and over spent causing them to relocate out of the city and downsize staff dramatically.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to get promote services in outer boroughs such as Bronx, Brooklyn. Avoid giving Buiding Management Commissions and focus on individual sales. The product sales itself.

Managers, managing managers, whom are managing managers.

Enterprise Account Representative (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGreat work/life balance.. with regards to being able to essential "make your own hours" and be at the driver seat of your success in the company.

ConsRevolving door with regards to Management.. Lack of support from Sales Managers & directors.

Marketing, & Operations bend over backwards to support the sales staff, however Sales directors are incompetent at best.

Demanding numbers without understanding the opportunity (or even taking the time to analyze the market demographics)

Inconsistency in the companies ever changing agenda leading to uncertainty in employees..

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of grabbing the bull by the horns and getting hands dirty, Sales Management effectively remove themselves from direct responsibility by hiring more middle managers and smaller managers. (Redundancy & management level instead of investment on the ground in the form of Sales Force & support)

Managers, managing managers, whom are managing managers. The lowest level manager becomes inundated with the daunting task of reporting to 5 people instead of one. for a task that can be handled by two children.

Great company

Customer Satisfaction Technician (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

Pros- Good pay and benefits (medical, dental, vision, 401k, annual bonuses)
    - Good business culture. RCN cares about its employees, so employees return the favor

ConsRCN is very good when it comes to promoting from within, but that also means you have to know the right people in such a small company

I had a great experience working at RCN and with the Patriot Group our senior leadership.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood work environment focused on customer services

ConsI wish they had a network in Florida

Would not work there again!!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Wilkes-Barre, PA

ProsSome good people there to work with. Others are all for them self. There are a few people that have been working there 10+ years and surely know what there doing.

ConsIts a who you know kind of company, really. Extremely high turn around, It would almost be safe to say they have gone threw every good employ in the Wyoming valley area. They don't pay what other telecommunication outfits have to offer.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep an eye on the commercial care department, and it's management team. They are the laughing stock of the place.

Worked for RCN? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at RCN reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for RCN CEO Jim Holanda. All 27 reviews posted anonymously by RCN employees.