RCO Legal

Updated January 27, 2015
Updated January 27, 2015
1.9

Stephen Routh

Pros
  • casual dress code and im able to listen to my music (in 6 reviews)

• PTO- start with 4 weeks of PTO (includes sick time), relaxed environment for a law firm, very relaxed dress code (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Otherwise no training, which creates many issues in the ability to successfully perform the job (in 7 reviews)

• But, their extremely high turn-over rate speaks more to the truth of the situation (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great work environment for college graduates interested in the legal profession.

Former Employee - Quotes Specialist in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Quotes Specialist in Bellevue, WA

I worked at RCO Legal full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working as a Quotes Specialist provided me the opportunity to work along side other legal professionals at all levels, from attorneys to clerks. Critically, partners at the firm provide their employees with the job flexibility to pursue professional legal development.

Cons

Company programs such as the RCO soccer team and weakly yoga sessions were cut.

Terrible company

I worked at RCO Legal

Pros

No pros. This company sucks.

Cons

Terrible company. Managers lack leadership. Parking is a nightmare.

Take a leadership class.

Just like any other foreclosure firm

Former Employee - Foreclosure Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Foreclosure Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at RCO Legal full-time (more than a year)

Pros

1. People are friendly for the most part. They are really the saving grace of the company.
    2. Learned how to do my job on the job.
    3. Training other people was encouraged.
    4. Normal workday hours, unless a deadline had to be met, then employees were encouraged to come in on weekends.

Cons

1. Very unstable company. First they were with Prommis, who filed for bankruptcy. Then the two law firms underneath that umbrella split (McCalla Raymer and Johnson & Freedman). J&F says that they merged with RCO Legal, but they were actually acquired.
    2. Several lay offs.
    3. Little growth. Definitely a place for a job, not a career.
    4. No one seems to know what to do, so you're left to make mistakes and figure it out on your own. That would be fine if the one client that they have left wasn't unhappy.
    5. The firm lost a big client because of its lack of organization.
    6. Management doesn't take responsibility for their lack of knowledge.

Understand the role of your employee's jobs and how long it takes to complete tasks before unrealistic expectations are expressed.

Dissatisfied Employee

Current Employee - Judicial Foreclosure Specialist in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Judicial Foreclosure Specialist in Portland, OR

I have been working at RCO Legal full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits and time off; met some wonderful people to call friends

Cons

No feeling of job security; more care for quantity of work than quality; no opportunities for advancement or growth; no raises or bonuses; poor training. The job can be pretty stressful at times and there are unrealistic expectations placed on you for your day-to-day work. There seems to be a constant push to put out more work as fast as you can without any regard to proper review to make sure the work is viable. Constant rushing produces constant mistakes and time wasted redoing work. And no matter how hard you work, management can always be counted on to find something wrong. When you're asked to ask more questions and you do, nobody seems to remember that you have asked about something; you're asked to show more initiative, but then when you do, you get reamed for taking that initiative, Training is lousy - nobody has time to really sit with anyone so you'll receive horrible training and then be expected to perform at the highest level and if you fail, it all gets dumped on you. Management and team leads don't help shoulder some of the responsibility for that.

Quality should always trump quantity, especially in this business. I would rather take an extra fifteen minutes or so to make sure I'm doing one thing right rather than rush so I can get three things done and then end up having to do those three things over again. Your employees are the life's blood of your company. Keeping the clients happy is fine, but doing it too much at the expense of your employees, the employees are going to jump ship, then what do you have?

This was not a steady working environment.

Former Employee - Paralegal in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Paralegal in Atlanta, GA

I worked at RCO Legal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A pro used to be a steady paycheck, but there were a number of layoffs, so that is isn't relevant. Maybe the location would be a pro, since it is in the Buckhead/North Druid Hills area.

Cons

This company was formerly Prommis Solutions, then it changed to Johnson & Freedman after Prommis declared bankruptcy. RCO Legal acquired Johnson & Freedman less than two months after the Prommis bankruptcy. Lots of changes, low pay, layoffs, and a number of ramifications from mismanagement and improper legal handling of cases took its toll on the company and its employees.

Let it go. You all have bled it dry.

Chaos.

I worked at RCO Legal (less than a year)

Pros

The office is located on Eastside.

Cons

Lots of stress and parking is offsite.

Really frustrating experience

Former Employee - Judicial Foreclosure Specialist in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Judicial Foreclosure Specialist in Honolulu, HI

I worked at RCO Legal full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I came with a substantial amount of experience, but for the new entrants, working at RCO is a great way to learn the intricacies of the respective type of law.

Cons

Very unrealistic workload. The managers are completely inept at understanding the workload problem and putting into place procedures to solve it.

Focus on doing great work and the rest falls in line ... Emphasize attention to detail. It's the mistakes, however minor, that cause the delays. Get it right the first time.

Company has gone downhill

Current Employee - Anonymous in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at RCO Legal full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Decent paid time off (don't try to take more than a week at a time though), flexible hours, great co-workers, supports team environment

Cons

Management hires and promotes their friends and family, no training which creates a situation where the few people that know what they are doing have to handle the majority of the work, they don't want to pay people who have knowledge what they are worth.

Stop giving priority treatment to your friends and family and start caring about your hard working employees. How can you tell who that is? Check with your clients they will let you know who goes the extra mile for them. Also, check with some of your managing attonreys to make sure they are the ones causing the problems in the depts. Inappropriate behavior at the top looks really bad!

No training. Clients shouldn't trust this law firm

Former Employee - Paralegal in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Paralegal in Honolulu, HI

I worked at RCO Legal full-time (less than a year)

Pros

All the employees are miserable. Misery loves company, so there's a lot of "we're in this mess together"

Cons

Absolutely no training. You watch an hour video on your first day. If clients knew that their work was being handled by confused kids who management hires (because they're cheap) and then fails to train, clients would RUN. I feel like this firm is guilty of malpractice almost! I had to quit because I couldn't get the training I needed (having been hired even though I told interviewers that I had no mortgage banking experience but was willing to LEARN), and I felt liable for the work I was doing (because I didn't know what I was doing).

Ton of turnover. Uncompetitive low pay.

If you only need a paycheck this *might* be a last resort

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at RCO Legal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

After 4 years my job has degraded to being just a paycheck. My hopes of a good career and future are completely gone.

Cons

Very poor middle management who can't make a decision to save their souls. Very disfunctional, disorganized and a poor working environment with outdated equipment. The worst part of my job at RCO is the dishonesty, extreme favoritism and unappreciative bosses who only care about furthering their careers while trampling on those who have done great things to make them look good.
    There have been numerous large layoffs in the recent few months including an entire development team, an entire office with many other people leaving of their own choice as the company outlook looks and feels grim.

Treat your employees with the respect, dignity and honesty that they deserve. Give them credit and sincere appreciation for all of the dedicated hard work that they give to their teams, managers and the company. Poor company culture.