RDX

Updated May 27, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Buddy Flerl

Positive company with a good outlook

PMRC Technician (Current Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsGood environment - The people are very helpful and seem patient about new employees learning the processes and procedures. Just moved into a new facility and the company appears to be strong and continuing to grow and expand its product lines. Appears to be very good opportunities to advance within the company from the entry level positions.

ConsSalary - Starting off they don't pay very well. The benefits are a little on the higher end of mediocre. The training coming into the company is scattered and incomplete, however it seems the management level is constantly working on improving this issue.

Great, right to the point where management threw me under the bus

PMRC Tech (Former Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsLaid back environment, good benefits/PTO policy for all involved. very little overhead for employees.

ConsMid/High managers tend to blame issues on their subordinates and implement solutions without considering how it affects those below them. These solutions often create worse problems because of it. Expect your working conditions, frequently used utilities, and internal applications to become more convoluted or less function very noticeably after about 6 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementDiscuss things with your subordinates before throwing them under the bus for what are possibly your mistakes, and learn from them how to make something better.

Great place

Network Manager (Current Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsHard work, but good work. Lots of pushing the boundaries on your comfort zone. "all other duties" in the job description is something that gets tested every day. 90% of the time thats a good thing.

ConsWell it's a symptom of growing as fast as RDX is, very crowded. 10% of the "all other duties", but such is life.

Advice to Senior ManagementDoing OK thus far.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great - If You're Not Part Of The PMRC

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Extremely easy to get hired into the PMRC, the company's primary support center. They only require the barest of IT skills, and an IT degree is more-or-less an assured in.

- You'll work with a host of relational database technologies. I did a lot of MS SQL, Oracle, and MySQL while I was there, including whatever OS install you can think of.

- You'll learn a good bit about database administration, but not much else. Development isn't there, report writing isn't there, and scripting (generally) isn't there.

- If you don't know how to professionally and thoroughly solve problems, you will.

- You'll probably enjoy the sense of community with your fellow PMRC techs. While they last.

Cons- Rotating shifts every 2-4 weeks. It doesn't matter if you're Superman, this is going to put you on a countdown timer. I've seen people last two weeks, a month, three months, and some even a year. Whenever that timer stops, you're going to go crazy. It is extremely difficult to adapt to.

- The other departments hate you. Most DBA's don't really like you because you're quite honestly a nuisance. You simply don't know the things they do. As they come to see your name more over time, they'll either dislike you more, or begrudgingly accept you.

- The pay is really lackluster IF you have tech skills. You're essentially making minimum wage in IT.

- Punishment is really hard. You're going to mess up at some point, and unless you're a competent tech the hammer is going to fall hard. You probably won't get fired, but you'll get a slew of ticked off people wanting to take every opportunity to remind you that you messed up.

- What does it say about a company's culture when you'd rather deal with clients than management?

Advice to Senior ManagementI'd suggest learning how to increase morale in one of the harshest environments in the city.

A great place to learn and grow if you are willing to put in the time

Database Administrator (Current Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsIf you put in the time and effort you can grow your career fast
    Very knowledgable employees willing to help
    Very challenging work that constantly increases your skillset
    You get to work with a large variety of database architectures you would not get the chance to work with elsewhere
    Easily accessible management that makes a solid effort to listen to their employees

ConsThe mens bathroom smells like the dickens

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up

Excellent place to start your career or expand your technical skill sets.

Manager (Current Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsTraining program that takes entry level personnel and trains and mentors them in their careers. Can choose from management, technical (DBA, OS, apps) tracks. Everyone enjoys watching you progress in the organization and helps you along the way.

More senior people get the benefit of working on many different database/OS/advanced feature combinations. Since they support many different companies, you get a chance to support many different technologies. You get to learn from over 100 other tekkies that are really good. People that are stronger in an advanced feature are always willing to train you.

I don't feel like an expense to be managed.

ConsYou have to be on top of your game because you are challenged with new things all of the time. Must be willing to always learn. Customers expect you to be their expert so you have to show that. Different customer personalities to deal with but their CRM team helps.

Very challenging technically. Great for people that rise to the occasion but not so good if you want to be the Maytag repairman. Over 100 technicians working the same office. You have a lot of people to work and get along with.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep growing the company. Continue to focus on the employees.

A wealth of opportunity, this place is the digital equivalent of Willy Wonka's golden ticket!

Pittsburgh, PA

ProsI get to work with some of the brightest minds in Pittsburgh on a daily basis. Not only are the people great, but there is also a great sense of community within the company, it really is one big extended family. The opportunity to get your hands in to interesting projects is boundless, and upper-management will not only listen to what you have to say, but will incorporate good input in to their gameplan. If your looking to be mentally engaged and have a feeling of accomplishment at the end of the day, this may be your bag.

ConsIf you are not personally invested in the company, the hours can be long. RDX is a place where you can achieve great things, but those looking to clock-in and get a paycheck need not apply.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs the company continues to grow, do not lose focus on the corporate culture.

Company cares about it's Employees and Clients

Employee (Current Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsThis company is growing like crazy! It does everything in it's power to minimize the impact on the employees. I feel great going to work everyday. The upper Management always has the best interest in mind when it comes to employees. The pay is above average and the benefits are great! I really hope that I continue my career for a long time with this organization. It blows my mind that anyone would say anything bad about RDX. They must have been bad employees or just not good at their job!

ConsI would change nothing at this time!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing! The day to day management of this company is second to none!

PMRC job is good for experience - but have an exit plan!

PMRC Tech (Former Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsYou can get hired to the PMRC without direct database experience, or even knowledge. And, as mentioned already on here, you will definitely learn a lot. You have to go into this job knowing that their "you'll be off the rotation in 6 months" speech is B.S. Yes, SOME people are good enough and get in at just the right time so that 5-6 months later, they are the best person in the department, and one of the higher departments is looking. Realistically, you have to expect it to be a year...

Cons...unfortunately, it is really easy to burn out after 6 - 9 months. And if you start burning out, they just don't care. You get a "we all went through it" speech, and that's it. Policies can change weekly, and you are expected to be 100% on top of current policy or you will be (at minimum) written up or, possibly fired if your screw up made a client mad and they need a scapegoat. Which wouldn't be horrible if the management communication plan wasn't "I'm sure it will get passed through the grapevine". Your days off can change weekly, but they'll send out an email with a major change, and not think about who isn't working those days and won't know about it until they come in two days later. Even though it burns them time and time again, they don't learn from this. I don't expect people to be perfect, but I do expect them to learn from their mistakes. Especially when they fire people for that exact reason. I will note that my review here is based entirely on the PMRC [entry-level] position, and if you are already a DBA coming in from the outside, I've heard that it is not bad at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare at all about the well being of your employees.
    Although being able to get hired with minimum experience is nice, it also means they know they can go find someone else to replace you easily enough. You are not a person to this company. Everyone is nice, but in the end, they answer to senior management who only cares about the bottom line (and blatantly says so). They're just looking out for their job.

Great People, Interesting Work, You will never be bored

Pittsburgh, PA

ProsThe dbas are some of the smartest (and most personable - a lot to say for a company comprised primarily of 'techies') I have ever worked with. There are fantastic opportunities for sharing knowledge, and learning from fellow DBAs, and you get to work with just about everything since there are customers on the bleeding edge, and customers trailing far behind, as well as customers with fantastic budgets, and customers on a shoe-string. Each type of customer has different challenges, and helps sharpen a DBAs skill-set. If you don't like to be bored, or be staring at a clock to see when the day will end, this is a great place to work. If you need intellectual stimulation and a challenge to feel good about your job, this is a great place to work. If you are looking for variety in your job, and the idea of doing the same thing day after day sounds like torture, this is the perfect place to work.

ConsIt is not a purely 9 - 5 job. There is occasional off-hours work and you do have to participate in an on call rotation as well, about every eight weeks. During a crunch time, you may average as many as 55 hours a week during a given month. I have certainly worked more at other places, and less at others. The jobs I have voluntarily left, as opposed to a contract for a project with a distinct timeline ending, or a company going under or the company I was working for getting purchased and moving to a new city, have all been due to having too little to do and being bored.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf I thought I had good advice to share with upper management, this would not be the forum that I would use to convey it.

Worked for RDX? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at RDX reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for RDX CEO Buddy Flerl
. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by RDX employees.