RE/MAX

Updated January 27, 2015
4.2

RE/MAX CEO and Director Margaret M. Kelly
Margaret M. Kelly

Pros
  • Friendly environment, training, work life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Increases internet sales because of brand recognition (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Commission based which is unstable form income (in 8 reviews)

• Very high desk fees compared to competing brokerages (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great compnay

Current Employee - Realtor in Gulf Shores, AL
    Current Employee - Realtor in Gulf Shores, AL

I have been working at RE/MAX full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for. Like no other in the industry.

Cons

No cons to me.

Great Company

Former Employee - Real Estate Agent in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Real Estate Agent in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at RE/MAX

Pros

Great company to work for. Lots of room to grow. Commission based. Great advertising opportunities.

Cons

None that I can think of. It's really what you make of it and how much effort you want to put into the job and getting the sale.

Great Company

Current Employee - N/A in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - N/A in Denver, CO

I have been working at RE/MAX full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Benefits, Vacation, Environment, Work Life Balance

Cons

Limited pay increase. Lack of pay structure

Structured pay increases.

REMAX Classic goes above and beyond to help their agents succeed.

Current Employee - Realtor in Canton, MI
    Current Employee - Realtor in Canton, MI

I have been working at RE/MAX full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

REMAX Classic offers classes and additional training free to all their agents. Whether you a fairly new agent trying to make your way or a seasoned agent, Classic is there to support you and give you the tools to take your career to the next level. It's hard not to succeed at Classic.

Cons

The only cons are industry con's, not REMAX Classic cons. As a Realtor, you have no guaranteed income. The start up cost can be hefty and making a name for yourself requires lots of hard work. My best advice is to take real estate seriously and treat your first coupe of years the same you'd treat college or an internship.

Keep it up! I've worked for other brokers. I personally liked all of them, but Classic management are not only great people, they also give us the tools to succeed.

Good Place to work

I worked at RE/MAX full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They keep up with technology and new processes, a family feel even though they have several office. Caring owner and management

Cons

They have not kept up with staffing in crucial depts such as HR and IT

Best Real Estate Company

I have been working at RE/MAX

Pros

Great company, support and traning

Cons

Lots of Competition in the field of Real Estate. Must be a mover and shaker.

RE/MAX is fabulous!

Current Employee - Realtor in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Realtor in Boston, MA

I have been working at RE/MAX full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic training by the industry led top selling agents in the business is great. We collaborate on projects, share cutting edge training and run our own businesses. RE/MAX is not always the best fit for every agent out there. Only the best motivated and entrepreneurial are best suited for the RE/MAX model.
    My business went up over 35% in my first year just by being a RE/MAX agent! How cool is that? Way cool!

Cons

I have yet to come across one in 6 years.

Kep the training spot on!

Good company, great marketing and advertising

Former Employee - Real Estate Agent in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Real Estate Agent in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at RE/MAX

Pros

The exposure you have to the market place is unmatched in real estate.

Cons

The fees are too expensive. Hard to justify.

Lower the fees.

HQ Political Nightmare (RE/MAX HQ - a.k.a. RE/MAX, LLC)

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at RE/MAX full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The job itself was pretty easy and most people put in far less than 40 hours a week. The other employees are amazing, met some of my favorite people there.

Plenty of great training opportunities to help you advance your next career, however they won't help you much at this one. If you are looking for professional development, be prepared to seek it out yourself and hold yourself accountable.

Time off flexibility

Cons

They used to emphasize how great the company culture was, and from I hear it used to be pretty great. The year prior to their IPO, the focus on culture started to rapidly decline. The smaller salaries that they pay used to be compensated by the culture and not hating your job. Now that they are well into their IPO, the culture is pretty much all gone with the exception of being able to bring your dog to work 1 day a year.

If/when you start there, don't be surprised to see and hear about almost every single employee looking for a new job. I've only worked at one place where the staff morale was this low and they ended up going bankrupt (with turnover being a large part of it in my opinion).

Don't expect to be trained. There are little to ZERO training guides, manuals or procedures. You will be told that training someone for a position with so much "grey area" is a tough thing to do, so learn as you go and ask co-workers. Don't be surprised if you're held accountable for things you are not trained to do or informed are your responsibility.

Almost every person in a management position was promoted due to the ability to do their non-manger job well. However, the company doesn't train management to become good or effective managers which results in a lot of company waste. Many of the management has also reached their levels due to political connections within the company (or so I was told). Many of them that were accused of this seemed to half commit to their responsibilities in my eyes.

As I mentioned as a pro, the job(s) themselves are pretty easy. The con to that is people spend a lot more time creating and driving drama instead of contributing to difficult or complex tasks. This also allows people to come in very late and leave pretty early.

There are other cons, however I don't feel they are legal to share since it is a public company and I'm unsure of what has been released to the public at this point.

I've heard many of you complain that you hate the amount of staff turnover at the company, yet nobody does anything about it. Voice your opinion and please stop being afraid of the upper upper management slapping your hand. Make the company a better place to work and resulting in a better company overall.

If you take any advice, please let it be this: STOP falling back on the excuse of, "That's the way we've always done it" because it will be the one thing that takes the company down. Industries change and so do the management styles that go along with them. Learn to adapt and overcome. You have some tremendous talent in the building, however only 10% of it is ever utilized.

I understand that once a company goes public that things will change. Please bring back the culture that you used to have and still brag about although it's been gone for a very long time. The staff that is still there deserves it and so do you. If there are things/events that cannot come back due to lawyers/investors/IPO policies, then come up with other ways to add to the culture.

RE/MAX OPPORTUNITIES

I have been working at RE/MAX

Pros

It's the biggest real estate company in the world and the USA. It has outstanding brand recognition and resources available to it's agents

Cons

It's not for the newbie realtors. You need to be successful in real estate and have a following in order to be successful with the company.

None