REC Solar

www.recsolar.com

REC Solar Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014
REC Solar – “REC Solar Fun”

Paul Detering

Uncertain future

Mainstream Energy (Current Employee) San Luis Obispo, CA

ProsFor the most part great people
    Experienced team mixed with young professionals so good balance in most teams
    A very good resume of projects
    Based in San Luis Obispo but national footprint

Cons3 CEOs in 3 years
    Ownership is looking to bale.
    Very shortsighted now that investors want out
    Marketing budget cut way back
    Too many good people leaving
    Latest CEO looking to build his resume and does not care about much else

Advice to Senior ManagementFind someone to buy the company and go retire. Unfortunately the rest of us need to make a living and can't cash out. There is a lot of potential in the company but it is not being given a chance.

changes in coorprete structure

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosthe company will make more money

Consall of the employees are unhappy

good easy job,lots of overtime

Solar Installer (Former Employee) Cal-Nev-Ari, NV

Prosthere is alot of overtime

Consmanagement could be alittle easier goin

Advice to Senior Managementhire more diversity

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fast paced industry and company

ProsPassionate people, contributing to services that help customers have an impact on their energy footprint, people working together to make a difference, finding improvements, collaborative environment. High integrity. Doing the right thing.

ConsLots of changes very quickly means that clear processes aren't always communicated. Need to invest more in training new hires and managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in future as much as possible. Communicate more about company direction.

Challenging opportunity in growing industry

ProsLots of highly motivated talented individuals from various industries have settled in Solar with REC. Lots of opportunities within the solar industry and REC is a good starting place.

ConsPerformance driven management is too intense for some employees. Don't join this sales team if you are a mid level performer.

Advice to Senior ManagementAfter reading some of the other reviews I felt the need to write this. HR and managers need to do a better job of setting the right expectation about job requirements.

Exciting learning opportunity in a new fast paced industry

Sales (Current Employee)

ProsLots of opportunity to excel. Fast paced environment with new challenges every day. New industry where a new comer can get a foothold.

ConsHigh employee expectations. Industry competition requires constant improvement. Too busy with internal policy and not enough time spent on supporting employees or departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on supporting new employees, sink or swim mentality works for some but not all. Do a better job of removing the poor producers, nothing worse than seeing low performers holding back others simply because they've been around for a long time.

Good people, good team; Insufficient sales

Project Manager (Former Employee) Somerset, NJ

ProsI worked in the East Coast office in 2012, but I got to know many of the people from the San Luis Obispo HQ during a 2 week initial training period there. As an EPC manager, I found the people that I worked with to be supportive and mission oriented, and working well together. In the few cases where there were disagreements, we were able to work them out without too much difficulty. Their construction supervisors were knowledgeable too, and kept the jobs moving so that we were able to meet challenging schedule goals, and finish projects with good profit margins.

Of course, I can't speak to changes since late 2012--I haven't worked there since then.

ConsEither they had insufficient amount of staff selling commercial projects on the East Coast, or they just weren't making the right connections, because the sales volume declined, which led to layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake a stronger effort to retain existing, proven staff. If there is a slowdown in part of the company, look for temporary assignments they can fill in other parts of the company. This has several advantages:
    a) it builds employee loyalty and increases morale in an industry that suffers from uncertainty
    b) it provides cross-training so that employees have a broader perspective of different aspects of the company. Not only does the re-assigned person learn from his new position, but people in his new department will likely learn from his previous experience.
    c) it enables you to benefit for a longer time from the people whom you've trained and who know the company's culture
    d) it saves you from losing experienced staff (whom you've invested training in) to your competitors
    e) it reduces your unemployment rating and associated taxes.

In some cases, you might find people willing to take a temporary pay cut in order to fit into another position, while waiting for their original position to reactivate when new jobs come in.

Company too full of entitled and arrogant 20-something year-olds

Manager (Current Employee) San Luis Obispo, CA

ProsGood benefits. Good mission to bring solar energy to mainstream-- their motto as Mainstream energy. However, the pricing for installation seems to vary depending on what the sales person can get the client to pay in terms of price per watt. Their commission goes way up if they oversell above the minimum price. A questionable business practice, but lucrative for the company as well as the sales person.

ConsTraining programs are weak at best and are run by recent college graduates who are arrogant and possess minimal social skills. Training should not be handled by these personality types. Company has a reputation for high turn-over. 3 CEOS in 3 years and high turn-over in several departments due to apparent high level of dysfunction.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your people and treat them well for working diligently on behalf of the company mission. Provide solid training programs and guidelines for your new employees so they have a solid foundation to benefit the company. Monitor the training skills of new trainers and ascertain that new employees are not subject to their eye-rolling arrogance and poor training skills.

REC Solar Human Resources Manager responded to this review

Nov 1, 2013

As an organization, we appreciate candid feedback and strive to make improvements and clarify questions so our employees are informed. Thank you for your post. We have reviewed information and ... More

Incredible People...Incredible place to work...

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Luis Obispo, CA

Prospeople who care about others. Great growth plan. Company poised for a big future in the industry! They care about their employees as well as the customers.

Consnot any to speak of

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing! Open up in more states so we can go help them too!

Solar is a booming business

Sales Consultant (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsGreat company to work for

ConsCompany historically provides non-competitive pay at all levels

Advice to Senior ManagementSIx Sigma training

Worked for REC Solar? Contribute to the Community!