REC Solar
www.recsolar.com San Luis Obispo, CA 50 to 149 Employees

REC Solar Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014
REC Solar – “REC Solar Fun”

Paul Detering

A company that hires you to keep you.

Residential Solar Consultant (Current Employee)
    Scottsdale, AZ

ProsGood training, management, peer support. You feel like you are part of a team. Flexible work schedule. Appreciation for you as a person and respect for your balance of life. Benefits start one month after hire. And on the lighter side, if you want to bring your dog to work they allow that, just be sure your dog has good manners. Salary plus commission makes it a good place to work.

ConsThe drive to work is pretty far from where I live. Other than the drive, it is a pretty decent place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management, keep doing what you are doing. Very few jobs I have had where the upper management gets on the floor and helps new consultants plan and make the sale. This is exceptional and shows how much you care.

Management HELL

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    San Luis Obispo, CA

ProsThe co workers you have will be some of the best friends you will ever have. Very extensive location base so if you are looking to move, you might be able to stay with the company in a different location.

ConsManagement sucks, they expect way too much for the pay they offer. Benefits keep getting skimpier and skimpier and our share of the cost keeps skyrocketing. The CEO turnover is out of this world. Actually the entire company turn over is crazy. They have a reputation in the area for "Burn and Churn" they work you will you can't take it anymore, use all your ideas up and then kick you to the curb.

Good corporate solar company that did not pay all the commissions owed.

Outside Sales Consultant (Former Employee)
    Chico, CA

ProsVery organized company with great people. For a corporation they had a family like atmosphere. Lots of support! decent pay if you work hard. Fair about allowances.

ConsThe only negative is because of family issues I had to leave and they kept over $4,000 of my commissions from already sold jobs. I gave a months notice thinking I was helping but found out once you are leaving they keep what they can. It's too bad because I really enjoyed the company. I still have yet to go to the labor board about this.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe fair to who sold your projects. ETHICS!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Painful

Foot Canvass (Former Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsIndependence and that is about it.

ConsThey are all about the sales numbers and not about training their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to train your employees and offer career paths for those who want to grow within the company

Good solar company, young atmosphere, into technology, not ethical in all areas.

Sales (Former Employee)
    Sacramento, CA

ProsGood people, positive attitude, good leadership, freedom to work your job right.

ConsToo techie, long hours, changing commission structure and procedures regularly. Because of family matters I had to move and they kept commissions on sold jobs with my name on the contracts. The sales program is a bit cheesy and is targeted for a younger crowd.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the momentum as a company but stay consistent and pay the person who got the deal signed for you. There is money allotted for commissions and you take the low road on this.

Flag Review
    REC Solar Human Resources responded to this review Mar 4, 2014 EditDelete
    We are a very ethical and fast-growing company with a performance-based culture. It is important for us to be transparent and drive the right behaviors by ensuring we thoroughly review and have our ... More

Awesome

ProsGood Work Culture and Work life Balance

ConsNeed to have a good compensation

Advice to Senior ManagementGood Work

Growing company with emphasis on a quality customer experience.

ProsLots of growth, diversity of positions, several locations (country-wide)

ConsLittle reward beyond pride and experience, advancement requires extreme talent and skill, however is then reviewed as "average", unjust distribution of "favor" between departments, hopelessly incompetent shared services (Facilities, IT & HR)

Advice to Senior ManagementIt doesn't make sense to drive improvements on teams that are already goal-driven and constantly improving. Focus on teams that are bloated and inefficient.

Good company with lots of promise and poor executive management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    San Luis Obispo, CA

ProsGreat people and culture. Many caring and compassionate individuals. Good mission and vision. Managers and even senior managers are good and effective. Executive management is lacking.

ConsExecutive management has been terrible, with much turnover and continued lack of understanding of the business. This seems to be driven from the board down through CEO level and other executive management. Executive management does not value employees and does virtually nothing to ensure retention.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to take care of and value your employees. Executive management needs to take an interest in fostering the skills of employees through training and mentor-ship and needs to understand that non-competitive salaries and minimal investment in employees and business do not lead to top quality talent.

Amazing leadership, heavy workload, chaotic processes, fantastic colleagues

San Luis Obispo, CA

ProsColleagues are incredible: genuine, smart, talented, real, unassuming. Building great working relationships is easy. People are genuinely caring, and fun to work with, though the environment can be stressful due to the volume of work and tendency to change direction on a dime.

ConsHeavy workload, and some leadership is challenged in helping their teams to manage it. Very chaotic processes which can be unwieldy/amorphous/flawed. Some lack of business savvy exhibited by certain mid-level leadership. And low comp, too low for the cost of living in the area.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe prepared, because, like it or not, a comp overhaul will probably be in the company's future. While salaries in the region are lower than NorCal and SoCal, they do not correlate to the cost of living, which is still very high in the Central Coast.

Great Company to work for

ProsUnbelievable culture and ideology. Great working atmosphere. Excellent management. Lots of career opportunities. Bringing solar to the mainstream that effects millions of home owners.

ConsThere are none I can currently think of. The company drives great results and gets great production from all of the different marketing campaigns and the sales representatives are amazing at what they do..

Worked for REC Solar? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at REC Solar reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for REC Solar CEO Paul Detering. All 45 reviews posted anonymously by REC Solar employees.