REC Solar
www.recsolar.com San Luis Obispo, CA 50 to 149 Employees

REC Solar Reviews

Updated Mar 24, 2014
REC Solar – “REC Solar Fun”

Paul Detering

A company that hires you to keep you.

Residential Solar Consultant (Current Employee)
Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at REC Solar full-time for less than a year

ProsGood training, management, peer support. You feel like you are part of a team. Flexible work schedule. Appreciation for you as a person and respect for your balance of life. Benefits start one month after hire. And on the lighter side, if you want to bring your dog to work they allow that, just be sure your dog has good manners. Salary plus commission makes it a good place to work.

ConsThe drive to work is pretty far from where I live. Other than the drive, it is a pretty decent place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management, keep doing what you are doing. Very few jobs I have had where the upper management gets on the floor and helps new consultants plan and make the sale. This is exceptional and shows how much you care.

Awesome

ProsGood Work Culture and Work life Balance

ConsNeed to have a good compensation

Advice to Senior ManagementGood Work

Good solar company, young atmosphere, into technology, not ethical in all areas.

Sales (Former Employee)
Sacramento, CA

I worked at REC Solar full-time for more than a year

ProsGood people, positive attitude, good leadership, freedom to work your job right.

ConsToo techie, long hours, changing commission structure and procedures regularly. Because of family matters I had to move and they kept commissions on sold jobs with my name on the contracts. The sales program is a bit cheesy and is targeted for a younger crowd.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the momentum as a company but stay consistent and pay the person who got the deal signed for you. There is money allotted for commissions and you take the low road on this.

Flag Review

REC Solar Human Resources responded to this review

Mar 4, 2014

We are a very ethical and fast-growing company with a performance-based culture. It is important for us to be transparent and drive the right behaviors by ensuring we thoroughly review and have our ... More

Growing company with emphasis on a quality customer experience.

I have been working at REC Solar full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLots of growth, diversity of positions, several locations (country-wide)

ConsLittle reward beyond pride and experience, advancement requires extreme talent and skill, however is then reviewed as "average", unjust distribution of "favor" between departments, hopelessly incompetent shared services (Facilities, IT & HR)

Advice to Senior ManagementIt doesn't make sense to drive improvements on teams that are already goal-driven and constantly improving. Focus on teams that are bloated and inefficient.

Great Company to work for

I have been working at REC Solar

ProsUnbelievable culture and ideology. Great working atmosphere. Excellent management. Lots of career opportunities. Bringing solar to the mainstream that effects millions of home owners.

ConsThere are none I can currently think of. The company drives great results and gets great production from all of the different marketing campaigns and the sales representatives are amazing at what they do..

Amazing leadership, heavy workload, chaotic processes, fantastic colleagues

San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at REC Solar full-time for more than a year

ProsColleagues are incredible: genuine, smart, talented, real, unassuming. Building great working relationships is easy. People are genuinely caring, and fun to work with, though the environment can be stressful due to the volume of work and tendency to change direction on a dime.

ConsHeavy workload, and some leadership is challenged in helping their teams to manage it. Very chaotic processes which can be unwieldy/amorphous/flawed. Some lack of business savvy exhibited by certain mid-level leadership. And low comp, too low for the cost of living in the area.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe prepared, because, like it or not, a comp overhaul will probably be in the company's future. While salaries in the region are lower than NorCal and SoCal, they do not correlate to the cost of living, which is still very high in the Central Coast.

Good company with lots of promise and poor executive management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at REC Solar full-time

ProsGreat people and culture. Many caring and compassionate individuals. Good mission and vision. Managers and even senior managers are good and effective. Executive management is lacking.

ConsExecutive management has been terrible, with much turnover and continued lack of understanding of the business. This seems to be driven from the board down through CEO level and other executive management. Executive management does not value employees and does virtually nothing to ensure retention.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to take care of and value your employees. Executive management needs to take an interest in fostering the skills of employees through training and mentor-ship and needs to understand that non-competitive salaries and minimal investment in employees and business do not lead to top quality talent.

good easy job,lots of overtime

Solar Installer (Former Employee)
Cal-Nev-Ari, NV

I worked at REC Solar full-time for less than a year

Prosthere is alot of overtime

Consmanagement could be alittle easier goin

Advice to Senior Managementhire more diversity

Uncertain future

Mainstream Energy (Current Employee)

I have been working at REC Solar full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFor the most part great people
Experienced team mixed with young professionals so good balance in most teams
A very good resume of projects
Based in San Luis Obispo but national footprint

Cons3 CEOs in 3 years
Ownership is looking to bale.
Very shortsighted now that investors want out
Marketing budget cut way back
Too many good people leaving
Latest CEO looking to build his resume and does not care about much else

Advice to Senior ManagementFind someone to buy the company and go retire. Unfortunately the rest of us need to make a living and can't cash out. There is a lot of potential in the company but it is not being given a chance.

changes in coorprete structure

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at REC Solar

Prosthe company will make more money

Consall of the employees are unhappy

Worked for REC Solar? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at REC Solar reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for REC Solar CEO Paul Detering. All 42 reviews posted anonymously by REC Solar employees.