REC Solar Reviews

Updated August 5, 2014
Updated August 5, 2014

3.3

Paul Detering

Good company with lots of promise and poor executive management.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at REC Solar full-time

Pros

Great people and culture. Many caring and compassionate individuals. Good mission and vision. Managers and even senior managers are good and effective. Executive management is lacking.

Cons

Executive management has been terrible, with much turnover and continued lack of understanding of the business. This seems to be driven from the board down through CEO level and other executive management. Executive management does not value employees and does virtually nothing to ensure retention.

Learn to take care of and value your employees. Executive management needs to take an interest in fostering the skills of employees through training and mentor-ship and needs to understand that non-competitive salaries and minimal investment in employees and business do not lead to top quality talent.

Uncertain future

Current Employee - Mainstream Energy  in  San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Mainstream Energy in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at REC Solar full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

For the most part great people
    Experienced team mixed with young professionals so good balance in most teams
    A very good resume of projects
    Based in San Luis Obispo but national footprint

Cons

3 CEOs in 3 years
    Ownership is looking to bale.
    Very shortsighted now that investors want out
    Marketing budget cut way back
    Too many good people leaving
    Latest CEO looking to build his resume and does not care about much else

Find someone to buy the company and go retire. Unfortunately the rest of us need to make a living and can't cash out. There is a lot of potential in the company but it is not being given a chance.

changes in coorprete structure

I worked at REC Solar

Pros

the company will make more money

Cons

all of the employees are unhappy

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

good easy job,lots of overtime

Former Employee - Solar Installer  in  Cal-Nev-Ari, NV
    Former Employee - Solar Installer in Cal-Nev-Ari, NV

I worked at REC Solar full-time for less than a year

Pros

there is alot of overtime

Cons

management could be alittle easier goin

hire more diversity

Fast paced industry and company

I have been working at REC Solar full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Passionate people, contributing to services that help customers have an impact on their energy footprint, people working together to make a difference, finding improvements, collaborative environment. High integrity. Doing the right thing.

Cons

Lots of changes very quickly means that clear processes aren't always communicated. Need to invest more in training new hires and managers.

Invest in future as much as possible. Communicate more about company direction.

Challenging opportunity in growing industry

I have been working at REC Solar full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of highly motivated talented individuals from various industries have settled in Solar with REC. Lots of opportunities within the solar industry and REC is a good starting place.

Cons

Performance driven management is too intense for some employees. Don't join this sales team if you are a mid level performer.

After reading some of the other reviews I felt the need to write this. HR and managers need to do a better job of setting the right expectation about job requirements.

Exciting learning opportunity in a new fast paced industry

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at REC Solar full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of opportunity to excel. Fast paced environment with new challenges every day. New industry where a new comer can get a foothold.

Cons

High employee expectations. Industry competition requires constant improvement. Too busy with internal policy and not enough time spent on supporting employees or departments.

Focus more on supporting new employees, sink or swim mentality works for some but not all. Do a better job of removing the poor producers, nothing worse than seeing low performers holding back others simply because they've been around for a long time.

Good people, good team; Insufficient sales

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Somerset, NJ
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Somerset, NJ

I worked at REC Solar full-time for less than a year

Pros

I worked in the East Coast office in 2012, but I got to know many of the people from the San Luis Obispo HQ during a 2 week initial training period there. As an EPC manager, I found the people that I worked with to be supportive and mission oriented, and working well together. In the few cases where there were disagreements, we were able to work them out without too much difficulty. Their construction supervisors were knowledgeable too, and kept the jobs moving so that we were able to meet challenging schedule goals, and finish projects with good profit margins.

Of course, I can't speak to changes since late 2012--I haven't worked there since then.

Cons

Either they had insufficient amount of staff selling commercial projects on the East Coast, or they just weren't making the right connections, because the sales volume declined, which led to layoffs.

Make a stronger effort to retain existing, proven staff. If there is a slowdown in part of the company, look for temporary assignments they can fill in other parts of the company. This has several advantages:
    a) it builds employee loyalty and increases morale in an industry that suffers from uncertainty
    b) it provides cross-training so that employees have a broader perspective of different aspects of the company. Not only does the re-assigned person learn from his new position, but people in his new department will likely learn from his previous experience.
    c) it enables you to benefit for a longer time from the people whom you've trained and who know the company's culture
    d) it saves you from losing experienced staff (whom you've invested training in) to your competitors
    e) it reduces your unemployment rating and associated taxes.

In some cases, you might find people willing to take a temporary pay cut in order to fit into another position, while waiting for their original position to reactivate when new jobs come in.

Company too full of entitled and arrogant 20-something year-olds

Current Employee - Manager  in  San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at REC Solar full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits. Good mission to bring solar energy to mainstream-- their motto as Mainstream energy. However, the pricing for installation seems to vary depending on what the sales person can get the client to pay in terms of price per watt. Their commission goes way up if they oversell above the minimum price. A questionable business practice, but lucrative for the company as well as the sales person.

Cons

Training programs are weak at best and are run by recent college graduates who are arrogant and possess minimal social skills. Training should not be handled by these personality types. Company has a reputation for high turn-over. 3 CEOS in 3 years and high turn-over in several departments due to apparent high level of dysfunction.

Value your people and treat them well for working diligently on behalf of the company mission. Provide solid training programs and guidelines for your new employees so they have a solid foundation to benefit the company. Monitor the training skills of new trainers and ascertain that new employees are not subject to their eye-rolling arrogance and poor training skills.

REC Solar Response

Nov 1, 2013Human Resources Manager

As an organization, we appreciate candid feedback and strive to make improvements and clarify questions so our employees are informed. Thank you for your post. We have reviewed information and ... More

Incredible People...Incredible place to work...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at REC Solar for less than a year

Pros

people who care about others. Great growth plan. Company poised for a big future in the industry! They care about their employees as well as the customers.

Cons

not any to speak of

Keep doing what you are doing! Open up in more states so we can go help them too!

Worked for REC Solar? Contribute to the Community!