RED Interactive Agency Reviews

Brian Lovell

Amazing people and culture

Former Employee - Senior Mobile Developer in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Mobile Developer in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at RED Interactive Agency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing company to work at, the culture and the people are the best part. They will only hire you if you fit the company's culture which imo is super important. Everyone is super pumped about what they're doing and this is a huge plus because people will really try their best to come up with extraordinary work. Creative space and great office location. Good work / life balance, at least in my field of work in the company.

Cons

They're divided into 2nd / 3rd floor spaces and this gap is pretty hard to close, it makes it hard to interact with the 'other' floor of the company. Compensation might not be the best out there but you'll be really happy working here.

2. One of the best digital agencies on the west coast, but going through some growing pains.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at RED Interactive Agency full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Open door policy. - Everyone is super friendly - Awesome work culture - RED works with huge clients - Great Health Insurance and Benefits - Close to the beach/ great location - RED has a very diverse/smart group of people

Cons

- Not a lot of ownership of work - Can feel like mostly production at times - Titles don't really seem to matter or dictate day to day responsibilities - Management not transparent about vision or company structure within teams

Advice to Management

Figure out a way to incentivize and keep your top talent besides just monetary gain. Delegate responsibilities and give more ownership to top talent so it feels less like everyone is doing production. Hire and develop more junior/ lower level talent. Also, try promoting more from within and keep track of progress.

Excellent company where the people make the difference

Former Employee - Account Director in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Account Director in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

Here are the highlights: Competitive salary High standards for hiring Creative and strategic people Approachable, smart CEO and a President who leans in CDs are extremely well-rounded Overall, you can't go wrong with working at RED, especially if you're a sociable, friendly person who likes the agency life. If you have a problem with the occasional long week, changing scope and fluctuating requirements, then you probably shouldn't work for an agency. One thing that you may want to consider is how you like to work. Everyone at RED works in an office (often shared with other people, but still in a room), so there isn't open seating. That means you have to make an effort to get to know your neighbor. Everyone is SO friendly so it shouldn't be hard, but if you're not one to say hello, you may feel isolated. You have a lot of autonomy to run your project/accounts the way you feel they should be run. That isn't always the case elsewhere, so it's a great thing here. You are encouraged to forge your own path, and RED will support your journey. Leadership will support you through and through. I could definitely see myself at RED long-term. I left as a personal choice, but it had nothing to do with RED as a company. It's a stellar outfit with amazingly smart people.

Cons

Highlights: It's the agency life, so sometimes work-life balance isn't the best There is a division of upstairs and downstairs that is hard to bridge If you're a good producer or account person, you may get more work, not less, because you're reliable.

Advice to Management

I'd like to see a situation where strong producers are rewarded with more leadership responsibilities and not more projects. It's a double-edged sword: You know you can count on these rockstars, but putting difficult projects on their plate is often seen as a punishment, not a reward. Don't burn out your best players. They should be rewarded for being amazing and not "punished" with the task of clean-up crew for difficult projects. Give strong producers the chance to mentor junior producers. Producers are as good as the habits they keep, and those with good habits can teach others the best practices of running a smooth project. Small rewards go a long way. Giving a comp day to someone who has really busted his/her tail or a thank-you gift card from leadership means a lot. I once had a president of a company leave a hand-written thank you note on my desk after a series of 70+ hour work weeks when I didn't think anyone had noticed. I remember it to this day and how encouraged it made me feel. Sometimes just being thanks sincerely can be a great reward. Also, don't underestimate how much people look up to you. Sometimes people have opinions on a project but they feel they can't voice their opinion because it goes against the thoughts of someone on leadership. I think encouraging people to have different opinions that are backed up with solid rationale should be encouraged. Otherwise, many times people will bend to whatever leadership suggests, even if that person may know more about the project and the project's history to make a different (maybe better?) decision. I know that sounded like a lot of negative things, but it's really a testament to how much the leadership team is doing right. The culture, the people and the cohesive roadmap (the weekly company meetings are something I think every company should do) are all indications of what RED is doing right. Leadership (at least in my short time at RED) is a strong team that knows itself well and strives to improve itself everyday. It's much more strategic than many other leadership teams I've encountered, and deserves credit for working to constantly improve itself and its processes.

Designer

Current Employee - Designer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Designer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at RED Interactive Agency full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They want to change from a production shop to something bigger.

Cons

They represent themselves differently than what they are... This is not an agency- it is a place that picks up the digital work other agencies do not want to do...

Advice to Management

Don't force your employees to write good reviews. It is a scam. Just say you are a production shop and the people coming in will be happier with what they do!

RED Interactive Agency Response

Jul 9, 2015 – CEO

We appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback on your brief tenure at RED. We are always looking to find ways to improve. And while we value your perspective and will give it thought and ... More

Good People

Pros

- good salary - smart people - forward thinking

Cons

- employment/HR practices are questionable

Nice place to work, a little boring at times

I have been working at RED Interactive Agency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people for the most part. Well stocked kitchen. Easy parking. Talented designers.

Cons

There is frequent downtime between projects and frequent closed-door meetings make me fear for my job. HR seems less than genuine and can add a little drama. The office can seem a little slow and boring at times.

Advice to Management

Take time to check in with everyone on an individual basis. There is almost a family environment here, but some people feel left out.

RED Interactive Agency Response

Feb 10, 2015 – CEO

Thanks for the feedback. It’s good to hear that you enjoyed the people at RED (for the most part) and appreciated the well stocked kitchen and convenient parking. We hope that these little perks help ... More

Good company, nice environment.

Pros

People are really nice and talented

Cons

Upper management only trusts a few people

Great Culture

I worked at RED Interactive Agency full-time

Pros

I loved working at RED. Awesome people, work I can feel proud of. Their VP, HR cares in a way that I have not seen before at previous agencies. And the CEO and President are both accessible and care.

Cons

I do not have any "cons" about this agency but only about the overall industry and trends toward a lack of work- life balance and crazy-making. Again, industry-wide.

A great place to grow your career

Pros

-The team at RED has supported me as I have built my career. As a younger employee, I have received incredible support and encouragement as I've learned the ropes and identified my interests. I know that they "have my back" and want to see me succeed as an employee. I've witnessed many employees come on board and receive the support necessary to find their sweet spot within the company. - I love the people here. All of the employees are strong in their fields and take pride in their work. They are constantly working to improve their own skill set and educate themselves on what's next in the industry. That general attitude has encouraged me personally to learn and grow within the space and truly understand how things are changing in digital, creative, and advertising. - The employees at RED have very little ego. Everyone (including upper management) is very approachable. - They are very flexible with people with families or other circumstances. People that have families are able to leave at 6 on the dot to be with their kids. In general, the work life balance is really great.

Cons

Process here is unique. So, if you've worked in places with more general processes or structures, there can be a steep learning curve. But, generally, people are patient when on boarding. Most people find this gives them the freedom to work in a way that makes sense for their individual work style, while still working with a team.

The Best Place I Have Ever Worked

I have been working at RED Interactive Agency full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've had enough jobs over my career to know that I have found my home. The creative energy at RED is something that motivates me everyday. Everyone at RED wants to push boundaries and create amazing work, something that is very important to me. There is an incredible culture at RED where everyone seems to really like each other and enjoy spending time together during and after work. Also, management at RED has been incredibly supportive; it truly does feel like a family.

Cons

There isn't a ton of hierarchy here. So, for some, that can be a con. For me, and most people at RED, it means less red tape and bureaucracy. We have leaders at RED, not managers.

RSS Feed </> Embed