REI
www.rei.com Kent, WA 5000+ Employees

REI Reviews

Pros:
  • "Work life balance is really good and def helpful if you have a family"
    in 47 reviews
  • "If you are looking for part-time work to subsidize your income this is a great job"
    in 39 reviews
Cons:
  • "The pressure of having to sell memberships when most people are already members was too much for me"
    in 37 reviews
  • "I wanted 32 or more but a lot of the workers are part time, 10-15 hours"
    in 29 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Best work experience of my life.

Analyst (Former Employee)
    Kent, WA

ProsGreat people - REI has an active, engaged workforce. Pleasant culture - the need to find balance between working hard and having fun is not only acknowledged but encouraged.

ConsSome managers were reluctant to ask employees to be accountable - but I think that happens in any organization and is thankfully it is rare at REI.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay focused on high levels of job satisfaction. Remain committed to quality product that everyone in the organization can be proud of. Continue to give back by supporting great causes.

Horrible experience, don't work at this location!

Northville, MI

Pros-Customers can be awesome
    -Discounts (50% off REI products, 30% off all other brands)
    -Pro-dealing through companies
    -Work parties and management bringing on food which helped especially on days where there was a big sale
    -Breaks were fair and reasonable
    -Awesome pay for the job (start out at $9.90 an hour)

ConsAt my location, I had the unfortunate experience of working with management who were corrupt. They based their decisions based on politics and popularity of the individual. If you weren't in their inner circle, you weren't treated fairly. There was NO POSSIBLE WAY to make any of the managers happy. You think you're doing it right, and a manager tells you you're wrong. I was also shoved out of the way by a manager (literally) for dealing with a customer in the wrong way. The registers were made so that our backs were constantly to the customers and management would complain about us never looking back to see if customers were in line. ALSO, I worked there for a year and there was NO hope that I would ever move off of Frontline. I know that I did a great job, but management failed to base hours and promotions on job performance. There was absolutely no positive reinforcement. If something was my fault, I was battered and criticized until I cried. I had one specific manager that would constantly berate me, no matter what I did. It just seems like it would be a great place to work if the management wasn't as awful as it was at the Northville, MI location. Don't work here. STAY AWAY.

Advice to Senior ManagementPOSITIVE REINFORCEMENT. Stop giving us the negative and tell us what we are doing right and how we can fix the wrong. Berating our performance is not going to help fix the situation, it will just make us not care even more. Also, stop pressuring the employees to sell memberships, when they aren't commission based and it also makes the job more fun when they're pushed so hard!

It's all about who you directly work with... & it's totally corporate.

Falls Church, VA

ProsIt's a relatively easy job, even in customer service with difficult customers that come there w/ problems.

ConsThe ideals/image of REI & the reality are not exactly the same. Very corporate
    The scheduling became increasingly difficult.
    Low compensation
    Having to push "memberships"
    Boredom factor... it is retail after all. Could be worse (as in sales associate)
    It's not as portable of a job as one would think... I know one person who moved cross country & was promised close to FT hours but kept getting less than 20h/wk.
    Evaluations are done thru some system that was clearly brought (bought) from some management consulting (software) company... not always reflective or considerate of all the factors.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvery company has to evolve but its a shame REI has evolved so far away from it's roots & values. Big fast growth isn't always best.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent Part-Time Job!

Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee)
    Fairfax, VA

ProsFantastic discounts
    Wonderful diverse community of people
    Generous starting hourly pay
    Good health benefits for part time
    You will mostly work with liberal open minded ladies and gentlemen

ConsAt times I feel that the fact I was never a boyscout / girlscout counts against me in the social structure of the store.

Advice to Senior ManagementPunishments and rewards should be more clearly defined.
    Training should be more extensive in all aspects.

A great part time job

Sales Specialist (Former Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsFull benefits to part time employees. Great discounts. Great environment.

ConsManagements focus on membership sales goals. Managements actual knowledge of given departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome more knowledgeable of departments you are overseeing.

Big Box Retailer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Berkeley, CA

ProsGreat people on the floor, most of the time. Some of the old timers get away with murder and store manager are too ignorant or too much of a coward to deal with them. Great discounts and for the most time customers are really great people.

ConsDon not let your self be fooled by their excellent marketing REI is only a COOP on paper, this COOP is run in the same manner Walt Mart is, just look at the rate it is growing and REI pays horrendous salaries. It could easily compensate its staff full time and part time much better and ensured a much lower turnover. As well store managers end of the year bonuses are calculated in such fashion that saving monies is only beaten by department sales, they will schedule new part times as often as possible until they become too expensive.
    I loved working for REI initially and was promoted rapidly, however the hunt for members and turning away from the COOP model really turned me off. As well the political correctness is overwhelming and if you’re not a liberal (hardcore) then this is not the place to work. Finally if the members actually where informed of employee salaries I am sure they as COOP “owners” would have a thing or two to say about the COOP leadership ways of treating the sales staff, take one look at store managers and the leaderships end of the year bonus and you know this is no longer a COOP.

Advice to Senior ManagementREI is a Big Box Retailer
    Advice to senior leadership at HQ, wake up stop being fooled by retail directors find a new metrics to score for bonuses and for crying out loud. Either you are a COOP or come out and change your model or with that you must educate and train your retail managers.

Awesome experience!!!

Issaquah, WA

ProsGreat company,benefits, great ambience!!! The staff is super openly friendly and profesional!!

ConsHaven't found one that I can count as a con!

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the enthusiasm and encouraging your employees

Education, engaging, but overall it's still retail.

Sales Specialist (Current Employee)
    Lynnwood, WA

ProsBenefits are fantastic. Both medically and through the ProDeal system. Also, time off is granted for almost any reason (again, due to retail).

ConsDuring slow retail times of the year (January - March) it is extremely difficult to get the hours you need in order to pay rent.

Advice to Senior ManagementPositive feedback on a regular basis is MANDATORY to maintain happy employees. My immediate supervisors were fantastic, but the Store Manager had much to be desired.

Great employer who cares about its employees

Kent, WA

ProsWork life balance, growth oppotunity and a company that does the right thing are three of the main reasons to come to REI.

ConsREI has some times when change is hard to make happen. This is changing, but it makes for interesting change management issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing the job that you are doing. Sally Jewell is extremely forward thinking and with her leadership, we are moving in the right direction and setting the CO-OP up for success.

REI was the best place I worked.

Sumner, WA

ProsBenefits for part time employees, encouraging environment, flexibililty with scheduling, opportunity to advance, great employee perks.

ConsMay not be great for someone looking for full time work. When I was there, the hours were good, but not really guaranteed.

Worked for REI? Contribute to the Community!

REI Videos

REI – Why Work for Us?

We Think It's Important to Feel Good About Where You Work People love working at REI because it's a place where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while enjoying a work-life balance. Another reason is that… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at REI reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for REI CEO Jerry Stritzke. All 32 reviews posted anonymously by REI employees.