REI

REI Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

REI President and CEO Jerry Stritzke

Jerry Stritzke

Pros
  • Possibility for work life balance, support and advancement in other divisions(in 52 reviews)

• If you're looking for a part time job that pays well this is a great place to start(in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • The pressure of having to sell memberships when most people are already members was too much for me(in 38 reviews)

• I regret ever getting involved with REI as a full-time gig(in 31 reviews)

Fantastic outdoor company to work for.

Sales Specialist (Former Employee) Reading, MA

ProsThe management team is excellent. Great training, excellent benefits, the best products to sell. A pleasure to go to work. And decent pay for retail.

ConsCouldn't get enough hours, the most in the year I was there was 20. I wanted 32 or more but a lot of the workers are part time, 10-15 hours.

AWESOME!

Sales Specialist (Current Employee) Redmond, WA

ProsPeople are great...coworkers and customers. Great discount.

ConsHours can be hard to get in slow times...the stores are VERY budget conscience.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp foster long term career goals for employees.

One of the best retailers to work for!

Sales Specialist (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsI love the gear, our customers and the team I work with. I never dread going to work and find myself putting in extra time. I love what REI stands for and find it easy to talk about the Co-Op. I really appreciate the direction that executive management is taking our company.

ConsPay is not the best, but fair considering comparable employers. Management above the store level seems to be more interested in their own career advancement. I think our marketing folks are too focused on the next trend and sometimes lose site of our core customer and our competencies.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep pushing us to exceed our customer's expectations. Keep pushing to improve the technical tools that help make our jobs effective and efficient. This is especially important relative to the selling process in the store (as opposed to the online experience).

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Employer

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Troy, MI

ProsGreat Discounts on gear, Great work-life balance.

ConsIt's Retail. Unless you are looking for management experience, there not too much room for growth.

Values are changing from genuine and authentic to corporate and fear-driven

Marketing (Current Employee) Kent, WA

ProsSome great people at REI. The pro deals can't be beat. Good health benefits.

ConsStaff is overworked, work life balance varies by director, employees feel a sense of fear that they could be laid off at any time. Layoffs are covered up by managers blaming performance and leaving employees confused and embarrassed. Managers and Directors who don't embrace REI values (or do anything in the outdoors for that matter) are hired, and make changes that have negative impacts across the company. Technology is not supported with enough staff to maintain it. Leadership is not open to change or suggestions, unless it is their change or their suggestions.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn and Live REI culture and activities. Be open to change in ways that you wouldn't be in a cutthroat environment. Realize you don't have all the answers.

Great place to work with awesome people!

Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) Northridge, CA

Pros-Most the customers are extremely friendly
    -You get very good discounts on items around the store
    -You get good benefits
    -It's a good store to move up in if that's what you're interested in
    -If youre an outdoors person, you will be surrounded by awesome like minded people

Cons-You have to try and sell memberships to everyone, even if you know for a fact they don't want one

It's a family

Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) Berkeley, CA

ProsREI has taken excellent care of me over the years. They've paid me tuition reimbursement for school, given me a grant of gear to run a marathon, contributed largely to my retirement savings and just clearly have the best in mind for their employees. Schedules are flexible and the team works hard to make time-off requests work so you can have a full life. The company proudly supports gay marriage, and works hard to be a good employer for minorities including but not limited to racial and ethnic minorities and sexual and gender minorities (trans people). Oh, and your coworkers will become the shining light you look forward to daily. :)

ConsIt's still a co-op and a family, which is great, but the very fact that people are so valued and trusted means no micromanagement. Sounds awesome until you have to humor someone else's dumb idea. Keep this in mind when you pitch your own dumb ideas. Everybody's opinion counts.
    Also, staffing varies hugely throughout the year. It's a retail necessity. I advise anyone to have REI be a second job if they're not going into management.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood job, Jerry Stritzke! You rock and I appreciate what you do. Thanks for allowing us to host free classes for employees, thanks for lots of awesome things, like the gear bank and being open to hearing from all REI employees. Thanks for meeting us in person, too. I do request that you please re-vamp the review process so that most people don't have to be told they're average (sucks to hear that, no one likes to think of themselves that way), and also please keep up the hard work to promote women and minorities. The job is not done yet.

It was great

Employee (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsYou get to meet a lot of out door enthusiats

ConsHours weren't the best. Don't expect to get the weekends off or any of the major holidays. Also, be willing to stay late.

Advice to Senior ManagementNA

My experience at REI has been a roller coaster of highs and lows.

Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe people that you work with and the quality of the customers that shop at REI are outstanding. Inspiring, educating and outfitting customers is a joyful, rewarding, and important mission and is truly interesting and inspiring.

ConsThe pay is not enough to afford to keep up with the rising cost of living or to afford to take my family on any of the incredible adventures that we outfit our customers for. Staff get starved for hours and turnover is consistent because they just can't pay their bills on what we provide.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt seems to me that the leadership above the store level is woefully out of touch of the staffing needed to realistically deliver on our service promise at the store level. There is an ever rising tide of unfunded expectations on the stores to keep up with the programs, directives and initiatives which are frequently disorganized and rushed that come out of REI headquarters. The payroll provided to stores to keep up with the fleet of people at our headquarters sending tasks to the stores takes away from our mission of inspiring our customers to succeed in their pursuits. Customers aren't inspired at all by not having the help they expect and that we promise because we consistently run way too thin with available sales help. We exceedingly fall short on that promise because we just aren't staffed sufficiently for the detailed and complicated nature of our business. So my advice is staff our stores better, not create more work for already very overtaxed store store teams. They need to be inspired too.

Help us, help you.

Retail Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe people that I work alongside everyday keep me coming back. I have never worked with such a committed crew.

ConsStretched too thin to provide the prescribed customer engagement. Directives from HQ are disjointed and unrealistic at a store level.

Advice to Senior ManagementPayroll is supremely underfunded to maintain adequate staffing levels. Staff are burned out resulting in higher turnover and customers not finding the level of service they have come to expect. Super high expectations for a pay scale that is below industry standard. Add incentives for your knowledgeable, committed and dedicated staff. Stop rolling out half-baked processes and procedures.

Worked for REI? Contribute to the Community!