REI Reviews

Reset
3.9
REI President and CEO Jerry Stritzke
Jerry Stritzke

Pros
  • Had forgot what work-life balance was like until I came here (in 60 reviews)

• It is a good part-time (emphasis on (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • The pressure of having to sell memberships when most people are already members was too much for me (in 41 reviews)

• Hours are intentionally shy of full time for 80% of staff; maybe to cut costs for employee benefits (in 37 reviews)

1. Great company overall

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA

I have been working at REI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work-life balance, active & outdoorsy culture, gear discounts. Company is growing and becoming more innovative and creative. Collaborative atmosphere and employees love the company. Authentic to its values.

Cons

Career development is not made a priority. Poor technology holds the company back. Kent is a depressing location and very long commute for most.

Advice to Management

Keep up the push for more speed, creativity, and innovation. Take career development seriously and focus on developing an internal talent pipeline.

2. Great company, coworkers, & customers. Pay is notsogreat.

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at REI (Less than a year)

Pros

Actually live their values. Management really does try to do the right thing by customers and employees. Lowest proportion of coworkers are buttheads and higher proportion are genuine friends than any other place I've ever worked. Love for the outdoors.

Cons

Pay sucks, but that's with all retail. Have to work evenings/weekends.

Advice to Management

Pay a living wage. Don't wait for national minimum wage.

3. Sales specialist

I have been working at REI full-time

Pros

REI is overall a great place to work. You generally have great coworkers/environment, good benefits, cool products, mostly great customers, etc.

In my experience, management has been really great about work/life balance and allowing for employees to go back to school, explore other career opportunities part time etc.

REI also has a pretty great track record in terms of giving back to the community.

Cons

Despite the great environment, it is still a retail job. Customers can be pretty absurdly demanding/entitled (maybe due to return policy and membership).

The experience can also be a little too focused on membership sales.

Advice to Management

Not all that much to say! I suppose if I had to say something, it would be to make the performance standards and pressure of selling memberships secondary to providing customers with a good experience, not the other way around.

5. Absolutely LOVE working here

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Buford, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Buford, GA

I have been working at REI part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great laid back atmosphere, easy access to growth within company, performance review system based on performance and not an arbitrary time period, amazing discounts and vendor programs,access to employee use gear and educational classes or outings

Cons

starting pay is a bit low but with the frequency of performance reviews, that can change quickly (I got my first raise within 3 months of being hired)

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to keep doing what they are doing. It is obviously working and creating a fantastic place to work.

6. REI Still Growing

Current Employee - Operations Managet in Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Operations Managet in Kent, WA

I have been working at REI

Pros

REI is a fun and fast pace place to work. It has great benefits and we are really getting back to what we should be about a great place to get outdoor gear. The new CEO has renewed the great culture that has always been here

Cons

It would always be nice to make more money with a higher base rate, but the trade off for 15% retirement and the summit bonus makes up for it

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on the customer and employees so we can continue to grow like we've been growing this year

7. REI

I have been working at REI

Pros

Very laid back environment. Management is very supportive of employees needs and wants. Have a great "Yay day" incentive where employees pick any 2 days of the year for a paid day off as long as they are doing something outside and learning.

Cons

Inconstant hours. I started on swing shift but prefer to work days. With the busy and slow season it is hard to have a consistent pay check.

8. Great for part-time work while in college

I have been working at REI

Pros

Great team of people, empowering work environment, amazing discounts.

Cons

Low upward mobility, you need to give a lot of availability, but often receive low hours.

9. All About the Coop

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist

I worked at REI part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at REI was the best opportunity I was afforded during my Senior year of high school. As the youngest staff member at the time, I was treated as an equal and expected to perform at the same level as my peers.

Cons

Because most people had worked retail before, I was not as prepared to work the register and spent a lot of time learning on-the-go. The return policy can be frustrating, but this was the best opportunity I could have had to learn customer service skills. Absolutely loved my job.

10. Sales Specialist

Current Employee - Sales Specialist
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist

I have been working at REI part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, positive people, happy customers who come looking for advice on their adventures.

Cons

At retail level the communication between HQ and store is broken. You just deal with what they say, fit or not. Leadership seems a bit lost on strategic direction. Internal communications non existent.

Advice to Management

Establish better communication channel throughout the company. Listen to what the stores tell you is important to their customers and let them differentiate a bit. It won't kill the business but help customers understand not all stores are exactly the same due to location and market.

11. Great Work Environment

I have been working at REI

Pros

Great place to work, the people are awesome and the management really has your back and is there for you both on and off the job

Cons

hourly wage isn't great but it is a retail job so can't expect that much

RSS Feed </> Embed