REI Reviews

Updated October 17, 2014
3.6

REI President and CEO Jerry Stritzke
Jerry Stritzke

Pros
  • Had forgot what work-life balance was like until I came here (in 58 reviews)

• If you're looking for a part time job that pays well this is a great place to start (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • The pressure of having to sell memberships when most people are already members was too much for me (in 41 reviews)

• Hours are intentionally shy of full time for 80% of staff; maybe to cut costs for employee benefits (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights

Uplifting place to work

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at REI part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Going to work was enjoyable. I appreciated the fact that my coworkers were all interesting people from walks of all life an all ages.

Cons

Weekend commitments and retail holiday hours.

None. I appreciated my upper management.

A great part-time job with awesome benefits

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist, Sales Specialist in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at REI part-time (more than an year)

Pros

A fun place to meet interesting people and learn a lot about gear and the outdoors.

Cons

Not a career job. Slow days can be really dreadful.

Great company with huge potential under new leadership.

I have been working at REI

Pros

A great company with an amazing legacy and an extraordinary potential if new leadership embraces the potential to leverage customer data, customer experience and omni-channel loyalty based from the co-op membership model.

Cons

In the past the company has been very risk averse and slow to evolve. In many ways this has served them well, especially in the 2008 economic downturn. However when it comes to the digital landscape and the rapidly changing shopping landscape they have exposed themselves greatly to both those doing multi/omni-channel shopping better at one end of the spectrum and Amazon doing commodity shopping at the other.

The new CEO seems to have vision in this territory and they've announced that they will be hiring a CMO, a position that's never existed at REI. Both of these are hopeful and encouraging signs.

Love working with great people at REI!

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Asheville, NC

I have been working at REI part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love working with people that share my interest for the outdoors and interacting with customers who are excited to be headed to the trail or to the river. Pro deals and employee discounts are a big plus here. I love the culture and history of the Co-Op.

Cons

Pay is not the best and only provide part-time hours, but work environment and additional perks, such as employee discounts/pro deals, are a big plus. My advice would be to hire fewer people and make them full time so that they can be fully committed to the company. Several people that I work with only work one or two short shifts a week and, as a result, do not keep up with things going on within the store and company. Most people need to have other jobs to make ends meet and as a result are not available to help cover shifts when needed.

Hire fewer people and make them full time so that they can be fully committed to the company. Several people that I work with only work one or two short shifts a week and, as a result, do not keep up with things going on within the store and company. Most people need to have other jobs to make ends meet and as a result are not available to help cover shifts when needed.

Ups and downs but currently headed in the right direction

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Kent, WA

I have been working at REI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

* great work life balance
    * sweet discount (personally, I don't actually save money, I just buy way nicer stuff)
    * newer management is much better. Historically we've had pretty old school management in IT and it's still an issue on the infrastructure side of the house but the development side has gotten much much better.
    * rei.com side of things is pretty modern and big on Agile/Devops/continuous delivery.
    *standard Java shop (spring, hibernate/jpa, resteasy, maven)

Cons

* still have to fight some old school management, particularly in infrastructure.
    * still recovering from a really bad VP of IT that's no longer there, still many top down processes from that which are too slowly going away.

Trust your engineers, you have a very smart team that can get a lot done if given the freedom.

Top Notch Management and Staff

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at REI part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great discounts, most staff really enjoy being part of the team. Management goes out of their way to make you feel welcome and comfortable.

Cons

Requires commitment to work at least one weekend day. Like any retail position you are going to have some very hard to satisfy customers.

Great company, low hourly rate.

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at REI part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great staff and management. Great benefits for employees.

Cons

Low pay rate. Customers definitely take advantage of the return policies. The selling of memberships feels slightly gimmicky.

Look for ways to pay higher wages to staff.

Fantastic Co-Workers and Local Management; Gap between Corporate and Local Stores

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Madison, WI

I worked at REI part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Wonderful, capable co-workers and managers at my store. I was always learning, and felt very supported. Training was pretty minimal, but everyone was always happy to lend a hand when needed. Great employee perks and easy to get time off!

Cons

Retail environment was less than ideal, and we were often understaffed. Compensation is pretty minimal. Growing corporate culture being implemented from HQ with little regard for the actual workings of local stores. Very pushy about membership sales, which I think goes against the kind of company culture customers expect from REI.

Spend more time in local stores, get to know what works and what doesn't work. Trying to create cookie-cutter replications of the "ideal" REI isn't working so great, due to cultural differences and types of activities popular in different areas of the country. Work less on controlling employees, and more on fostering creative innovation. You've got one of the most educated and capable workforces around, tap into it instead of limiting it to your universal model.

Was good when the getting was good.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO

I worked at REI part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very relaxed schedule.

ProDeals....If you're a gear junkie this is the place to work.

Fun people to work with. I have made lifetime friends working at REI.

Cons

I am quite eccentric so it was hit or miss with management. They either praised me or condemned me.

Difficult to move around to different positions if you are not a model REI employee even if you're very knowledgeable, diligent, hardworking. You basically have to look the part..

Lack of personal development tracks.

Pay compensation. Better have a day job.

Benefits reduced as of recently

When someone is passionate about a particular sport/ culture etc. It may be an intelligent move to help someone move towards that position instead of filling it with new employees. And if you preach diversity maybe walk it too (Denver).

Great to average

I worked at REI full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good products. Decent benefits.

Cons

Does not pay well for retail positions. HQ jobs used to be fun and energizing - but have changed focus just to be another retailer. HR VP said employment is now plug an play - we will keep you as long as we need you and then we will let you go.

Values used to mean something at REI.....now they are just a piece of paper tucked away in a file drawer.