REI Reviews

Reset
3.9
REI President and CEO Jerry Stritzke
Jerry Stritzke

Pros
  • Had forgot what work-life balance was like until I came here (in 60 reviews)

• It is a good part-time (emphasis on (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • The pressure of having to sell memberships when most people are already members was too much for me (in 41 reviews)

• Hours are intentionally shy of full time for 80% of staff; maybe to cut costs for employee benefits (in 37 reviews)

1. Fantastic compay

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbia, MD

I have been working at REI part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible, great benefits even for part-time employees, amazing co-workers, pretty good starting pay, and yearly performance-based raises. The discounts are great, the work is interesting, they provide lots of training, and really try and place people where their interests and talents are. REI has great values, and encourages all the employees to live those values, and balance work and life. There are tons of classes you get discounts on to learn about new activities, and lots of employee only outings and opportunities to get more involved with the company and your coworkers.

Cons

The pay is not great. It's far above minimum wage, but at least where I live, it's still not enough to pay rent and I work close to 40 hours a week. The downside of having a work life balance is that there is no overtime. You will never be scheduled for more than 40 hours.

2. Sale Associate

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Southlake, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Southlake, TX

I have been working at REI (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome management, always looking to help you out and have your back. You really are engaged with the customer while you are there and you learn a lot of cool things.

Cons

It is a retail job, so working part time means that the hours fluctuate and it is annoying sometimes.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you guys are doing! The company is growing extremely fast and couldn't be done with out you guys.

3. Great place to work

Current Employee - Shipping and Receiving Specialist in Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Shipping and Receiving Specialist in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at REI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Inclusive, relaxed, supportive. I feel inspired working at REI and enjoy being part of the Co-Op. Also great benefits, discounts, and paid time off to play. Great culture and values!

Cons

In my role I sometimes feel like I have more responsibilities and stress than I currently get compensated for. It also seems like advancement opportunities are hard to come by without relocating.

Advice to Management

Keep inspiring employees to be great leaders. People love working for the company and I believe there would be even less turnover if the compensation were better. It is retail, but customers expect experts at REI, lets be there for them!

5. Sales Associate

I worked at REI part-time

Pros

Great Discounts, enjoyable out door minded co-workers. Got to get hands on training with new products from vendor brand reps

Cons

Normally you would only have a two-week outlook on your work schedule. Schedule fluctuated with the seasons as well. Had to work at least one weekend day.

6. Outdoor gear and shoe sales

I worked at REI part-time

Pros

great company! good perks with prodeals, and the REI discount.

Cons

the attitude in the store is dependant on what manager you have. I worked there through 3 different store managers. Two of the store managers reallly made a great environment, upbeat, happy, excited. One manager really brought allot of negativity....

Advice to Management

the small perks make this company a great place to work. Talk to Pete Citrano about how to make it great. He was amazing!

7. Great Community

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Denver, CO

I have been working at REI part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked both in a care store and a flagship store and have loved the community in both places. It's great when your coworkers have the same interests as you.

Cons

Communication between managers, sales leads, and other staff is not ideal. Often times people are left out of the loop.

Advice to Management

Communicate! Make everyone feel like they're part of a team. Not just the other managers.

8. Sales

I have been working at REI part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome gear deals. Flexible scheduling. Great environment.

Cons

Weak pay scale for advancement

9. Cashier

Current Employee - Cashier in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Roseville, CA

I have been working at REI part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome discounts, awesome coworkers, relaxed workplace, casual attire, longer than required breaks, awesome training, tons of after/off work clinics and activities, encourages travel

Cons

hard to transfer to other positions, tough to move up, not so great pay for my experience, discounts are getting more limited, hours are based off membership conversion

Advice to Management

Hire more from within in the store, its tough for long term(5+ years)employees to be loyal to a company if you dont hire from your store.

Great company overall

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA

I have been working at REI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work-life balance, active & outdoorsy culture, gear discounts. Company is growing and becoming more innovative and creative. Collaborative atmosphere and employees love the company. Authentic to its values.

Cons

Career development is not made a priority. Poor technology holds the company back. Kent is a depressing location and very long commute for most.

Advice to Management

Keep up the push for more speed, creativity, and innovation. Take career development seriously and focus on developing an internal talent pipeline.

11. Customer service specialist/ sales specialist

I worked at REI

Pros

Great place to work. Very flexible. Good work-life balance. For a retail job pay was not that bad.bstaff is great. They really care about you and their core values. Great great discounts!!!

Cons

Hard to get promoted. Not enough hours at times. Job advancement is difficult.

Advice to Management

Don't hire too many people. I say that because I have always wanted more hours but I rarely got the hours I needed. And with the discounts I wanted to work more to take advantage of that.

RSS Feed </> Embed