REI

www.rei.com

REI Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2011's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros
  • Possibility for work life balance, support and advancement in other divisions(in 52 reviews)

• If you're looking for a part time job that pays well this is a great place to start(in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • The pressure of having to sell memberships when most people are already members was too much for me(in 38 reviews)

• I regret ever getting involved with REI as a full-time gig(in 31 reviews)

Great for outdoorsy people!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Carlos, CA

ProsWonderful place to work and really fun

ConsSome people end up there as a career job and are a bit unmotivated to look for a new job

Advice to Senior ManagementMotivate and promote

Great Place to Work

Sales (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsI have worked for REI for 11 years and have never once dreaded going to work. The people are great, the discount is great, the salary is mediocre, and the benefits package is FANTASTIC.

ConsIf you are not somebody interested in retail management the opportunities for advancement are pretty minimal. It can get a little repetitive, but they do a good job of moving people around every six months or so so people don't burn out on one area.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing. Great communication about the direction of the company. I would consider paying your people a little better. One major pet peeve I have is that every time an across the board "salary realignment" happens it affects the people who were just hired and not so much your loyal people who have been around for a long time.

Great enviornnment!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sumner, WA

ProsGreat benifits packages, awesome discount and a very positive work environment. I do not work in a retail location so I cannot speak of those. However the Direct Sales call center is a great place to work and be!

ConsCan be very crowded on the inside. And I've encountered people who have had problems with promotions and supervisors. I am not one of those.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure to listen to what your employees are saying! Make yourself available. Respond to what they have to say

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best Place I have ever worked!

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsMembership is why everyone at REI is not working for a Big Company, it is why REI can take care of the staff and take it's time on making big changes." Like laying off staff, closing stores, cutting benefits" this is what other companies do because of business. Communication is high I was able to change company polices while being a part-sale staff. It is a company and being professional will pay off. I have also made friends for a life time and after 13 year of working for REI, I would go back in a minute if life allowed it!

ConsI think the cons for many maybe they forget it is a job, first! I think people build it into a family and forget they are there to sell stuff. It is a job and you do need to promote the Memberships and sell product to keep your job. I'm pretty sure most jobs work this way, you provide a service based on a job description and when you preform this service at the expected level you get payed.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt does take time, if your willing to put in the work and stay open for feedback, It will happen and you'll never be sorry!

A really good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Kent, WA

ProsTransparency is a big deal. REI even posts the results of the internal employee satisfaction survey with history going back 4 years on the public web site as part of their annual report http://www.rei.com/aboutrei/csr/2009/people.html . This report also details the employee demographics and even turnover %.

ConsA very strong culture with a lot of outdoor sports influence. If you didn’t do something “big” this weekend, you might not have much to talk about at coffee. On the other hand, you can be male, female or any other demographic, profile or sub-group – if you climbed, biked, hiked, camped or lost a finger to frostbite on the weekend, you’re in, just be humble, because someone else can top it.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe careful not to drink our own kool-aid. It’s a great place, but it’s not perfect and leadership has to be the reality check.

Middle management promotion/hiring decisions based on politics instead of moving the business forward

Staff (7 Years) (Current Employee) Kent, WA

ProsBenefits in general -- including health care, employee discounts, bonus, above average vacation accrual per years served, 15 year sabbatical, casual attire.

ConsSay you were the owner of a professional football team and had an opportunity to obtain the best quarterback in the league that gives you a better than 50% shot to win the Superbowl. Everything else being equal (e.g. salaries), would you (a) acquire/promote the super-star quarterback, or (b) make your buddy who once played pop-warner football as a kid, your franchise player in the key position as quarterback? Sadly, the answer is (b) in significant areas at corporate REI. Who, what suffers? The rest of the "team" who become demoralized and demotivated -- and more importantly, the business.

Advice to Senior ManagementBreak the middle-management (managers and directors) cliques/alliances of years-gone-by flushing them out and promoting competent, proven people from within or outside the company. Some current management "veterans" (who would never have been promoted or hired into their current positions now), are holding back REI's business growth, as they are more concerned with their own advancement and covering for, or promoting themselves/each-other, that there is no time left in the day for anything else. The result is that you have a steady trickle of your best "smartest, and most competent" staff people leaving the company (ebbing or flowing based on economy). On the up side, some recent promotions (to fill new mgt positions, and the all-too-seldom replacing of existing mgt positions), have been very good and encouraging. Not surprisingly though, these kind of promotions have come from the "straight-up" side of the house, i.e. managers who are either fairly new themselves (as managers promoted from within, or hired from the outside), or have rightly chosen not to participate in the politics because it violates their personal code of ethics. Please continue to encourage and promote these kind of folks who take the core values on the back of our badges seriously !!!

REI is great!!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sumner, WA

ProsThe company takes a very pro-active approach to supporting employees and making REI an employer of choice. I've worked here for a few years and I'm continually impressed with the senior leadership of the company. I feel so lucky to work for REI.

ConsREI is a retailer, we have ups and down in business volume. As long as you understand the season and what to expect, there isn't a problem.

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you for your guidance and leadership. Thank you for offering great benefits and maintaining a great work environment. I really enjoy coming to work.

OK to stay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Kent, WA

ProsStand by the employees and understand the true meaning of work life balance. REI wants everyone to succeed and is an easy company to work for.

ConsLike any and all other retail based compaines there is a large flux of growth and downtime based on the overall economy.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay focused and true to the company origin and don't sway too far into the high priced area of goods. Keep it simple

Big company still trying to be a small company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Kent, WA

ProsPro Deals rock! There are a lot of very good people their. The turn over is very low. People don't like to leave.

ConsTurnover is very low, there are folks in IT who have been there for 20 years. They still live in a mainframe world. Outsiders don't get let into the club easily.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou bring people in from the outside to help bring you new and fresh ways of doing things but then offer them no support and shut them down at every opportunity. If you don't want fresh ideas then why ask for them?

R.E.I. from a corporate level may look good but once you get down to the store level, that's a different story.

Sales Specialist (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThe pro-deals are great, and a few instore deals are good too. Being able to meet and hang out with like minded people.

ConsMEMBERSHIPS !!!! That is the only thing they are worried about, if you fall short of your goal you lost hours. Over the years product knowledge has slipped and seems to be a non concerned that employees have any. Weeding out employees with tenure to reduce payroll. Incompetent Managers and Supervisors. As employees we take a yearly survey and the Management portion of the review consistently and porgressively get worst but yet they suffer no consequences.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a good look at yourself and ask would I hire myself, NO you wouldn't.

Worked for REI? Contribute to the Community!