REI
www.rei.com Kent, WA 5000+ Employees

REI Reviews

Pros:
  • "Work life balance is really good and def helpful if you have a family"
    in 45 reviews
  • "If you are looking for part-time work to subsidize your income this is a great job"
    in 39 reviews
Cons:
  • "Selling memberships is their number one goal"
    in 33 reviews
  • "I regret ever getting involved with REI as a full-time gig"
    in 27 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Amazing!

Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee)
Lynnwood, WA

I worked at REI

ProsREI was an amazing place to work. I definitely felt at home there. I have a BS though and found a higher paying job or I would have loved to stay. Seriously best retail job you could ever find! Fun interview process and great people.

My interview was a group interview - don't worry about being a super outdoor enthusiast - just be yourself and appreciate the world we have around us. Warning - STRONG customer service skills are important!!

ConsCustomers return everything and sometimes you want to kill them :p

too much gossip, not sophiscated

Senior Markrting Analyst (Current Employee)
Kent, WA

I have been working at REI

Prosfriendly, relax, open, fun, fun

Consno career growth, manager is not competent, too much gossip, not sophiscated, technical support is weak

Great.

I have been working at REI

ProsFull medical benefits for part time, great discounts and pro deals and friendly work environment. Also great free food and informative vendor clinics.

ConsDifficult to move up in position.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork more diligently to develop employees.

Such a great place to work

Kent, WA

I have been working at REI

ProsThe atmosphere is great. Everyone is very supportive of your career goals and will go out of their way to help you along. That and the discount is a wonderful perk!

ConsOne of the biggest downsides to working here is that there are a lot of distractions. I don't know how other companies are, but it seems like there is a birthday or an anniversary, or a project conclusion party a few times per week.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. When the economy was down, we kept growing. I'm proud to work for this organization.

Great place to work, except for corporate management being out of touch with co-op member owners.

Part Time Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Boston, MA

I worked at REI

ProsEveryone working there is an outdoor enthusiast and conversation with co workers is usually about their past or upcoming outdoor activities. Offers higher pay, benefits and discounts than similar retailers such as L L Bean. Examples are free life insurance, basic low cost health insurance and dental insurance for part time help, pro deals usally providing 50% off big ticket items such as Bikes, Kyacks, etc. Free annual bike tune up, ski tuning, and use of rental equipment. Promotes from within.. but must be clearly a team player to get a promotion.

ConsBeen a REI CO OP member for 40 years before working there and current management while increasing sales and profits is taking the co-op away from it mission without any imput from the member owners who purportly run the show. Going from providing good quality outdoor equipement that members want at good prices to becoming with quick markdowns more like a Marshalls for mostly women causal clothing labels. Mangers are team players and do not tell headquarters anything negative, like we are not carrying the right product for our area or what product we should be carrying.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that you are the nations largest co-op not a coprporation and develop a system ( and highlight it on the REI web site and in the catalogue) for what co-op member owners want REI to carry and then listen to and respond to what they say. Encourage direct feed back, not through their manager as is not the case, from every employee on what members tell them they want to see the co-op carry or not carry. Many, many long term co-op members told me that they did not like the changes in the types of causual clothing products e.g. dresses, skirts, blouses, etc being carried which was crowding out a bigger/better selections in clothing for outdoor recreation purposes. The can almost always get better prices on the casual clothes items now being carried at the discount stores.

Loved the culture but was underappreciated.

Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Pineville, NC

I worked at REI

ProsThe benefits are awesome - even part-time benefits. The culture is very cool. The customers tend to be cool also.

ConsPressure to sell memberships - with no direct reward. I felt personally underappreciated because I wasn't invited to stay on as a regular employee after my second stint as a seasonal employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you like an employee enough to invite them back for a second round of seasonal work, invite them to stay even if you don't have many hours for them.

Great company, boring job.

Seasonal Contact Center Representative Skill II (Former Employee)
Sumner, WA

I worked at REI

ProsGreat company to work for. They care about their employees, give you lots of opportunities to give back to the community and have fun with fellow employees. They don't pretend like they aren't trying to make money as a company, but they still care about the customers and the environment.

ConsWorking in the contact center was dreadfully boring. You aren't allowed to do anything non-work related between calls and within two months I'd finished all the work-related things I could do between calls.

Great for those who do what we sell

Cranston, RI

I have been working at REI

ProsREI is a great place to work if you participate in the activities that we sell gear for. Discounts and pro deals are awesome, so it really helps if you're trying to gear up. The hours are really flexible and managers are accommodating if you are in school or have another job. The staff is friendly and its easy to make friends there. Everyone is willing to get you outside and do the activities they do even if you haven't done it before.

ConsIt's tough to move up if you start at the bottom. There are a lot of steps to complete to become a supervisor and so forth with each step you take. Also the pay isn't the best unless you are a store manager or higher. Its definitely not minimum wage but you can't survive on this job alone. Most of us have more than one job or are retired and just working for fun.

REI is one the best companies to work for!

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)
Fremont, CA

I have been working at REI

ProsBalance. Fun. Benefits. People. Gear. Teamwork. Discounts. Culture!

ConsAlways wanting to buy the latest and greatest gear!

Best thing that's ever happened to me so far.

Berkeley, CA

I have been working at REI

ProsFun, real, appreciative, respectful management and coworkers. Major focus on work/life balance. Cooperative, family-like staff. Transparent senior management and company policies. Same-sex partner benefits, part-timer insurance, life-partner benefits, focus on growth opportunities if you want them. Retirement contribution matching. Twice annual performance-based bonus- yes, that's a retail worker getting an extra check for doing well as an individual. Tremendous discounts. Lots of recognition for jobs well done. I can't say enough to put REI on a pedestal as an employer!

ConsLight staffing can sometimes amount to a thankless day of hard work and cranky customers- but at least your management won't accuse you of being the source of their distress. Also, its retail, so its not likely that you'll get a consistent schedule (which for some is a pro, for some is a con).

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you for moving ahead with recent tech improvements planned (you know what I mean), give stores an inventory specialist again (we need them), and some of your efficiency is resulting in a less-than-comforting automated feeling: bring public transportation reimbursement, referrals and other things closer to home again so we don't feel like cattle. I've never felt like that at REI up until recently.

Worked for REI? Contribute to the Community!

REI Videos

REI – Why Work for Us?

We Think It's Important to Feel Good About Where You Work People love working at REI because it's a place where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while enjoying a work-life balance. Another reason is that… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at REI reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for REI CEO Jerry Stritzke. All 32 reviews posted anonymously by REI employees.