REI

Updated December 18, 2014
3.7

REI President and CEO Jerry Stritzke
Jerry Stritzke

Pros
  • Had forgot what work-life balance was like until I came here (in 60 reviews)

• If you're looking for a part time job that pays well this is a great place to start (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • The pressure of having to sell memberships when most people are already members was too much for me (in 41 reviews)

• Hours are intentionally shy of full time for 80% of staff; maybe to cut costs for employee benefits (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

Great!

Current Employee - Retail Sales in Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales in Kent, WA

I have been working at REI

Pros

I absolutely loved working here!

Cons

Nothing come to mind at the time.

Keep it up!

Awesome

Current Employee - Frontline Cashier
    Current Employee - Frontline Cashier

I have been working at REI part-time (less than an year)

Pros

REI is a great place to work if you live the lifestyle. Working here allows you to get large discounts on the things you like to do. Many of your coworkers will have different hobbies, and most are willing to take you out and share that experience with you. So if you like to try new things and you are a gear junkie, then this is a great environment for you. And you are always recognized if you do a great job or go above and beyond.

Holiday party at a rock climbing gym...

Cons

Pay isn't that great for new employees, but still above minimum wage.

Cares for employees

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in East Hanover, NJ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in East Hanover, NJ

I have been working at REI part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome employee discounts
    The company listens to your needs
    Great starting pay for retail
    Benefits and paid time off
    Room for growth

Cons

Not a consistent schedule

Great job once you're full time!

Current Employee - Sales Lead
    Current Employee - Sales Lead

I have been working at REI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great customers and coworkers, relaxed environment. Great benifits package once it kicks in and amazing discounts on merchandise. Easy to transfer locations and relocate. 8 hour paid day off every 6 months is a nice perk.

Cons

Retail within a large company always has its challenges. Loss prevention, low hours for part time employees, limited space for stock, unclear visual standards. Overall REI does a great job at managing these issues, but there is always room for improvment. Managment team varies by store and can be hit or miss.

Consider consolidating your staff to increase retention. Lose the employees who are just there for a discount and retain those who want to truly invest in the company.

Best work atmosphere I've been apart of.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Englewood, CO

I have been working at REI part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly, passionate and integrity filled employees.

Cons

Finding more hours. Lots of employees and skilled co-workers.

Keep doing what you're doing.

REI is the best!

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at REI part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Absolutely the best retail job out there. They company has great values! They supports community by giving grants or sponsoring outreach programs. They also are supportive of operating green and conserving the environment! They give you a great discount on all store merchandise as well as comprehensive benefits. They have ample opportunity to advance and a great work environment. The customers are extremely nice to work with because they want your advice! The company takes great care of employees and ensures that everyone has a great work/life balance.

Cons

I have no problems at this moment with the current state of affairs at this place of employment. They seem to have their ducks in a row.

My management team has been extremely helpful, open, and have provided good advice and feedback. They are nailing it!

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Sales Specialist, Customer Service Representative in Greensboro, NC

I worked at REI part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Terrific life-work balance, great people to work with and awesome customers! I worked there for so many years because it was a terrific place to work!

Cons

It was sometimes very hard to get hours depending on the time of year. But that can be expected sometimes from a prt-time retail position.

lovely place to work

Current Employee - Retail Sales Specialist in Arcadia, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Specialist in Arcadia, CA

I have been working at REI part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

hourly pay is not bad, but when you add in the part time benefits, it is great....awesome second job.

Cons

difficult to get a lot of hours.....would be hard to live off of the hours you would get here. Full time positions are few and far between.

better listening skills....be honest and straight forward in working with your staff

Best place to work

I have been working at REI

Pros

The people are amazing. Our customers are amazing. Great benefits and vacation. I love what I do.

Cons

It's retail, so you work all shifts. Morning, weekends, nights.

Worked with REI for over 6 years

Former Employee - Sales Specialist - Soft Goods, Customer Service Representative in Greensboro, NC

I worked at REI part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I worked as a customer service representative and sales specialist for many years and loved every minute of it. REI stays true to their company values and treats their employees with respect as well as great benefits!

Cons

Of course it was a part-time job and one of the hardest parts was getting enough hours to sustain a solid income.