REI

REI Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

REI President and CEO Jerry Stritzke

Jerry Stritzke

Pros
  • Possibility for work life balance, support and advancement in other divisions(in 52 reviews)

• If you're looking for a part time job that pays well this is a great place to start(in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • The pressure of having to sell memberships when most people are already members was too much for me(in 38 reviews)

• I regret ever getting involved with REI as a full-time gig(in 31 reviews)

Customer service

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people, cool gear, fun outdoor atmosphere.

ConsNone I can think of.

A part-time holiday job that turned out to be a great pleasure

Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) Boulder, CO

Pros• The on-boarding and training process was impressive
    • For several days the managers presented every detail of what was expected of the staff
    • Formal training was delivered effectively and time give to practice and make errors
    • When new employees ask the “dumb” questions everyone is happy to help and did not judge
    • The processes and procedures are well defined and documented. They admit when a process need to be improved but have a reasonable answer to every situation for the present moment.
    • Positive attitudes! The only place I’ve ever worked where there wasn’t really a rumor mill that I could detect
    • When I messed up they handled it professionally and avoided making me feel bad about myself
    • From employee to store manager, the people were truly fantastic

Cons• The corporate IT staff is working on it, but the tools were aging and slowed the delivery of customer service
    • Hours are competitive and subject to the cycles of retail and the local store

Advice to Senior Management• Keep it up
    • Thank you for such a positive experience even if you did not pick me to stay.

Sales Associate

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Concord, CA

ProsPerfect School part time job. Work life balance cannot be beat, Benefits.... if don't already know look it up they're beyond your fantasies if you know what benefits are in relation to hours worked, (ratio= time worked:benefits paid), Minimum wage is respectable but not livable until you move up, but you can quickly if you actually make serious effort. Other jobs you make serious effort and may move up quicker, yet the benefits and work life balance can't be met, in most occupations.... if you can complain, you're right... a sole proprietorship can be a better work life balance with possible better pay if you're up for the initial start-up work and know what you're doing

ConsWhen you begin you cannot live off the wage. It's far better than your burger joint or average job, but still not sustainable until you move up. Advancement is difficult if you view it that way and have managers that don't see advancement as their agenda.. If you are willing to put up with 1 to 2 years of learning without getting the pay you need to live off of, (living with a gf or significant other or college) then you can and will advance if you have the drive. You Will not get the hours you need to live until you move up to sales lead or management, but you can and will if you have it and want it

Advice to Senior ManagementWe are a co-op and that is a philosophy we cannot live without, however to satisfy customer demand we need to act more capitalistic in some ways, not in nature and philosophy, but as a business model. I believe Jerry S. may do quite a bit of good creating our company into a larger brand name than it already is. I believe that strong membership growth is clearly positive, however accountability in other regions is important as well. We do not use commission which is good, having had those jobs before myself. It gives us credibility we couldn't have otherwise, however it creates a problem of accountability It's hard to judge numbers when the only clear numbers are memberships and in recent times, MSA transactions. All our staff need more accountability for what they do.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales Specialist

Sales Specialist (Current Employee) Tacoma, WA

ProsGreat benefits even with part time employment, flexible hours and incredible product discounts.

ConsDifficult to advance but possible.

Sales Specialist

Sales Specialist (Current Employee) Salem, OR

ProsProDeal, life/work balance. Great coworkers, great customers. I was trained very well as was everyone else on my team and it shows. Pay is a dollar more than minimum wage. If you can drink the Kool-Aid early and get excited about memberships and not get frustrated when people turn you down you'll do well.

ConsPay is a dollar more than minimum wage at starting. If you don't drink the Kool-Aid you will struggle. It's all about the memberships, if you don't sell those you don't get hours. Hours get cut pretty frequently when the store isn't selling because there is no budget for them. It's retail -THAT SHOULD BE EXPECTED! People get very cranky when their hours get cut, this is not a full time job, expect less than 20 hours a week unless you are in management. Have a another job and work here for the discount/ as a fun job.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy manager is doing excellent, he's open and communicative, he tells us exactly what he wants and what he expects. There are no surprises. Keep up the good work.

Great place to work

Sales Associate (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsLots of employee discounts, rewards for not driving, I really enjoyed working at REI, great people and great company

ConsThe only cons really are those customers that are a serious pain in the butt, that's retail though.

Great place to work with awesome people!

Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) Northridge, CA

Pros-Most the customers are extremely friendly
    -You get very good discounts on items around the store
    -You get good benefits
    -It's a good store to move up in if that's what you're interested in
    -If youre an outdoors person, you will be surrounded by awesome like minded people

Cons-You have to try and sell memberships to everyone, even if you know for a fact they don't want one

It's a family

Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) Berkeley, CA

ProsREI has taken excellent care of me over the years. They've paid me tuition reimbursement for school, given me a grant of gear to run a marathon, contributed largely to my retirement savings and just clearly have the best in mind for their employees. Schedules are flexible and the team works hard to make time-off requests work so you can have a full life. The company proudly supports gay marriage, and works hard to be a good employer for minorities including but not limited to racial and ethnic minorities and sexual and gender minorities (trans people). Oh, and your coworkers will become the shining light you look forward to daily. :)

ConsIt's still a co-op and a family, which is great, but the very fact that people are so valued and trusted means no micromanagement. Sounds awesome until you have to humor someone else's dumb idea. Keep this in mind when you pitch your own dumb ideas. Everybody's opinion counts.
    Also, staffing varies hugely throughout the year. It's a retail necessity. I advise anyone to have REI be a second job if they're not going into management.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood job, Jerry Stritzke! You rock and I appreciate what you do. Thanks for allowing us to host free classes for employees, thanks for lots of awesome things, like the gear bank and being open to hearing from all REI employees. Thanks for meeting us in person, too. I do request that you please re-vamp the review process so that most people don't have to be told they're average (sucks to hear that, no one likes to think of themselves that way), and also please keep up the hard work to promote women and minorities. The job is not done yet.

Fantastic outdoor company to work for.

Sales Specialist (Former Employee) Reading, MA

ProsThe management team is excellent. Great training, excellent benefits, the best products to sell. A pleasure to go to work. And decent pay for retail.

ConsCouldn't get enough hours, the most in the year I was there was 20. I wanted 32 or more but a lot of the workers are part time, 10-15 hours.

One of the best retailers to work for!

Sales Specialist (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsI love the gear, our customers and the team I work with. I never dread going to work and find myself putting in extra time. I love what REI stands for and find it easy to talk about the Co-Op. I really appreciate the direction that executive management is taking our company.

ConsPay is not the best, but fair considering comparable employers. Management above the store level seems to be more interested in their own career advancement. I think our marketing folks are too focused on the next trend and sometimes lose site of our core customer and our competencies.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep pushing us to exceed our customer's expectations. Keep pushing to improve the technical tools that help make our jobs effective and efficient. This is especially important relative to the selling process in the store (as opposed to the online experience).

Worked for REI? Contribute to the Community!