REI Reviews

Reset
3.9
REI President and CEO Jerry Stritzke
Jerry Stritzke

Pros
  • Had forgot what work-life balance was like until I came here (in 60 reviews)

• It is a good part-time (emphasis on (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • The pressure of having to sell memberships when most people are already members was too much for me (in 41 reviews)

• Hours are intentionally shy of full time for 80% of staff; maybe to cut costs for employee benefits (in 37 reviews)

REI - A Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Shipping Support Clerk in Sumner, WA
    Current Employee - Shipping Support Clerk in Sumner, WA

Pros

The people you work with are wonderful, like an extended family. REI is as concerned about the employees and the environment as it is about the profit margin. Since REI sells outdoor equipment, they encourage the employees to go out and use the equipment and clothing. They also offer "Employee Challenge Grants" to get the employees to go beyond their comfort level. The amount of product training they give the employees is amazing.

Cons

There are very few drawbacks, other than the regular ones of Retail. These "Drawbacks" can be used as assets; working weekends and evenings gives one the chance to enjoy off hours at popular places.

Advice to Management

Stay true to our Roots. Stay on the

Work where the customers and employees are all on the same page.

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in San Francisco, CA

Pros

It's a wonderful place to work, your co-workers share the same values and interests. Management goes out of the way to make sure you're satisfied, not only with your job but with your off time. It's the type of place that will always give you time off to explore your interests and even supply you with equipment for your adventure.

Cons

Nights and weekends are part of retail life.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing and make the same good decisions about new store locations. Never forget why we all work here.

REI is truly a special place to work

Current Employee - Specialist in Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Specialist in Kent, WA

Pros

The atmosphere is truly exceptional. They have really treat their people well. All of the exposure to the greatest gear is reason alone to work there. The people are caring and work towards enabling each other to do great things.

Cons

The pay is about medium rage... not low, but not exceptional. Some might find this a turnoff. The environment is so nice that people forget to be honest sometimes.

Advice to Management

Invest in the entry level management at all levels. There's a great program in place for entry-level retail... it may be time to look at investing in the other locations as this sets the stage for employee retention, advancement and succession planning.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

I love working for REI, the customers are great, as well as my co-workers/managers. Schedules are flexible and they do their best to give you any time off that you may request. The CO-OP is very community oriented, they do alot of great work in our area, as well as making awesome donations. Did I mention, they offer benefits to both part time and full time employees as well as additional discounts that are awesome!

Cons

The pay scale is a little on the low side. Also, they don't offer very many full time positions.

Advice to Management

Offer more full time positions and better pay rates.

6. I'm not exaggerating, this company really deserves all 5s!

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Boise, ID

Pros

The benefits package is top notch. Every time I see a new doctor they are suprised by how much my coverage pays for. Not to mention the retirement and profit sharing plan... You get great perks and discounts. It doesn't seem to matter which store you are in the people are friendly and knowledgeable. Everyone legitimatly enjoys working here. All this fun and I get paid too? I really appreciate how supportive my company and team members are. Whether its a new outdoor activity or a life change, they support you in any way possible. This creates a great sense of balance between work and personal life. The pay is quite good when compared to other retailers. Retail is retail and I probably won't get rich working here but I will have a fulfilling career and won't wake up every day not wanting to go to work.

Cons

Retail in general can be a stressful environment. Some people would not be able to cope with the fast paced, ever changing environment. The schedule is flexible but that can make it difficult to have a pattern. This is particularily difficult for some when their spouse does not have the same flexibility. Fortunatly for me these points are desireable so I have found the perfect fit.

Advice to Management

Be more active in the stores. There can sometimes be a disconnect between processes or procedures and how that translates to the store. More actively encourage HQ staff at all levels to spend a day in the stores every year.

Home sweet home!

Current Employee - Banker in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Banker in Redmond, WA

Pros

It's a complete package. Here's a little of my background to give you scope: I worked in retail many years ago and was quite happy to leave it behind. I had managed to land a nice cushy job working for county government making pretty tidy wages and had a great medical/dental package. Then I was introduced to REI as a customer and fell in love - so much so that I quickly found myself with mounting debt. I had already looked into REI as an employer and when the cashier that was ringing up yet another purchase suggested that I work there I thought, "Why not?" So with trepidation I re-entered the retail world. I was initially concerned that I would face all the issues with dealing with the public that I had grown to despise in my previous experiences, but the customers that shop there are a whole different breed of people than I had seen before. Long story short, I worked both jobs for about 3 1/2 years and finally left my full-time job making more than twice as much money to work solely for REI. I couldn't ask for better co-workers or management staff. I have only ever once been denied a request for time off (there were several requests ahead of mine for that same time). When my father fell ill and was in the hospital in another state I was told to take whatever time I needed. It's just the whole attitude of the company, they practice what they preach and most people are there because they want to be, not just because they need a job. The benefits package is very good for the private sector. They have generous packages for compensated time off. And then there's the perks, including employee discounts on merchandise and services. There is a reason that REI had been voted one of the 100 best companies to work for for 11 straight years!!!

Cons

Even though the wages are comptetive it is still retail wages. Also the schedules aren't always regular. But, this is sometimes a benefit becuase you can hit the trails when they're less crowded during the week when everyone else is at work. It is also sometimes difficult not to buy stuff all the time.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. This is more than just a job for me, it's a way of living.

A Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Kent, WA

Pros

The co-op spends a great deal of time and money working in community outreach and making our communities better places to live and do business. I am proud of the co-op and the direction that they are heading in. The company also stresses a good work life balnce encouraging employees to go out and enjoy the products that we sell.

Cons

The company culture can be a little too politically correct and confining. REI has a culture of collaboration that can, at times be frustrating. I also feel that the retail employees still need to be compensated better. There has been a lot of improvement in that area over the past few years but I still think the pay could be better.

Advice to Management

You're going in the direction.

Work at REI and have a rewarding job working with great people!

Current Employee - Outreach Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Outreach Specialist in Atlanta, GA

Pros

REI is a great place to work if you like people, if you like the outdoors, and if you appreciate a work environment where everyone is respected and given a chance. We go above and beyond consistently to offer great customer service which makes customers happy and which makes our job enjoyable. Employees are friends not just at work but outside of work as well. It's a great place to be! Work at REI and you'll have a fun job with opportunities for advancement and you'll meet a lot of great people who are active and who enjoy what they do.

Cons

Some of the downsides are that headquarters are based in Seattle and if you want to advance with the Co-op outside of the traditional management track, you have to live in Seattle. Otherwise retail management is your primary advancement option. As with any job, the quality of your experience with REI depends on your attitude and how much initiative you are willing to take. In my experience, taking initiative and seeking out advancement on your own is rewarded. In the end, REI is a retail company so if you don't like retail, this is probably not the job for you.

Advice to Management

The advice that I would give Senior Management is to strive to be more like my store manager. He is a great leader and he really promotes his staff. He doesn't micro-manage people which allows those who want to step up to do so and to feel encouraged. I know that management at other REI's is not like my management team and that really affects the experience that staff and customers have when they come to REI. So I would say that REI's leaders in Seattle need to go out into the stores more regularly and talk with staff as well as management to stay in touch. And they need to be more proactive at talking with and responding to store managers.

REI is leading the pack.

Current Employee - Supervisor in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Seattle, WA

Pros

REI's retirement compensation is met no where else. Work-life balance is encouraged. And REI's co-op model is a great business model and lesson for the industry and outside the industry. Also, REI is committed to promoting within, including development support and opportunities.

Cons

Timelines for promoting are much shorter if you are interested in relocating. But this is really because jobs are so competitive at REI.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. I think it is amazing that four of our senior leaders started out on the frontlines helping customers.

awesome company if you don't mind a slower pace

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA

Pros

great company with a mission, awesome senior management, people who care about customers, the prodeals!!!

Cons

little chance for promotions unless you want to stay for a long time, scrimps on stuff like technology & then wonders why its behind the times

Advice to Management

Think ahead, be willing to take more risks

RSS Feed </> Embed