REI Reviews

Updated September 20, 2014
3.6

REI President and CEO Jerry Stritzke
Jerry Stritzke

Pros
  • Possibility for work life balance, support and advancement in other divisions (in 52 reviews)

• If you're looking for a part time job that pays well this is a great place to start (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • The pressure of having to sell memberships when most people are already members was too much for me (in 38 reviews)

• I regret ever getting involved with REI as a full-time gig (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

They are the Walmart of the outdoors for a reason.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Northville, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Northville, MI

I have been working at REI part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You will get paid slightly more than most other retail positions. You will get good discounts on gear if you are into the outdoors.

Cons

There is a reason that REI has fallen from the top ten of best companies to work for and is now in the bottom. I predict they will no longer be on the list in the coming years. With the hiring of a new CEO from Coach REI has decided to forget everything that made them a store people want to shop at. They are slowly becoming just another retail outlet, at present they have dropped many of their ideas such as "balance" for their employees. There are new availability requirements that mean you must work 16 hours per weekend. Which essentially means you must work an 8 hour shift on Saturday and open to close on Sunday. So much for balance. If you are someone who enjoys the outdoors and wants to have time to do those things, look elsewhere. If you are someone looking for a second job that they can work, look elsewhere. REI was my second job for a long time but they have started pushing out people like me with their new availability requirements and their new found inflexibility. If you want just another retail job, go for it. If you want to work somewhere that only cares about metrics that have very little to do with your actual job performance, go for it. If you want to work for a great company that values balance and is ready to be a great place to work then you'll want to find a time machine and go back about 6 years.

REI has been a growing company that makes tons of money for a long time. Go back to the values that made you a company that people wanted to work for and shop at.

Best employer

Former Employee - Sales Specialist  in  Oxnard, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Oxnard, CA

I worked at REI part-time for more than a year

Pros

They hire and train the best people. I was always appreciated and listened to. Everyone works hard.

Cons

I needed full time employment. Moving up is very difficult although they do hire mainly from within.

Best company to work for!

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at REI part-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome Managers, great culture, and competitive pay for the industry

Cons

you want to spend your entire check on stuff in the store!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lots of recent change, still a great company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Kent, WA

I have been working at REI full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work/life balance
    Mission you can believe in
    Outdoor recreation encouraged
    Great people
    Great benefits
    Great discounts on outdoor gear and clothing

Cons

Distance from city
    Constant change
    Divisions working in silos
    Too many people on campus
    Slow, bureaucratic processes
    IT support lacking

A laid back place to work

I have been working at REI full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benifits, employee discount, and prodeals are all supurb. Environment is laid back no suit, no tie.

Cons

Hard to advance, internal structure prohibits rapid changes.

Restructure Departments and streamline processes for advancement.

pay is just OK but employee discount is HUGE

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist  in  Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Bloomington, MN

I worked at REI full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A healthy work environment, both physically and culturally. A lot depends on the individual manager you work under but there is a robust system in place to make sure managers are thoroughly trained and encourage to improve. Almost all of the work day is spent on your feet.

Cons

Pay is not great, not much room for moving up without relocating to another state.

Add more padding and mats to concrete floors at work stations.

The very best retailer to work for.

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Vail, CO
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Vail, CO

I have been working at REI full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

People matter. The Cooperative is working very hard to do right by the customers and employees. Business prospects are good with growing opportunity in the company. Great benefits, a sense of community. Small company feeling in a large company. Healthy lifestyle encouragement.

Cons

REI isn't the best at rolling out new technology but give employees what we need to get the job done. Some systems are not intuitive in the Apple operating system age.

Keep up the good work. Keep payroll sufficient to deliver strong training, service and visual upkeep in stores.

Great environment, pays peanuts

Current Employee - Sales Specialist  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at REI part-time for less than a year

Pros

Coworkers are friendly and helpful, which is great when you're still learning about the products. Managers are easy to talk to and are flexible with scheduling.

Cons

Even if you're there full time (35+ hours), they have to keep you at part time making $10/hour, which is not enough for spending that amount of time there each week. The only real solution here is to get a second job, which is tricky because REI schedules only go out two weeks before you need to work, and it's physically pretty draining. There is also a lot of pressure to sell memberships to customers, and this is how the managers track your quality of work. The membership really is a useful thing to have, but it's hard to tack on an extra $20 when someone is already spending $300 on a jacket they'll wear for two weeks.

REI is a CO-OP and is one of the best Retail Organizations to work for

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Kent, WA

I have been working at REI full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The ability to look out 10 years+. We need to make sure the CO-OP is around 100 years from now and we don't need to look at making a $1.00 for the street and we don't have to worry about the CO-OP being sold due to ownerships end of life.

Cons

Work life balance is unbalanced. REI growth and change is fast, quick and a struggle to keep up with.

Work life balance needs to be balanced. Technology needs to be re-invented.

Great company to work for, mgt. is professional, great atmosphere to work in.

Current Employee - Shipping & Receiving/Tech,  in  Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Shipping & Receiving/Tech, in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at REI full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits, friendly staff, motivated for the outdoors or just activity in general.

Cons

roles are not well defined, sometimes resources are lacking to do job effectively

Redefining job roles or duties and pay accordingly certain jobs should not start on the same level as others.

Worked for REI? Contribute to the Community!