REI

REI Reviews

4.0

REI President and CEO Jerry Stritzke
Jerry Stritzke

Pros
  • Possibility for work life balance, support and advancement in other divisions (in 52 reviews)

• If you're looking for a part time job that pays well this is a great place to start (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • The pressure of having to sell memberships when most people are already members was too much for me (in 38 reviews)

• I regret ever getting involved with REI as a full-time gig (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Enjoyed co-workers

Former Employee - Sales Specialist  in  Tualatin, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Tualatin, OR

Pros

Co-workers are nice
    Pro-deals are great
    health coverage for part-time workers
    discounts if you ride your bike or volunteer
    accepting environment

Cons

Don't receive much training or consistent training. Management has a huge push to sell Co-op memberships. Perks faded overtime.

Bring back the perks - contests and prizes

Laid off on 14 anniversery

Former Employee - IT Engineer  in  Kent, WA
    Former Employee - IT Engineer in Kent, WA

Pros

Prod Deals, flex Time, Sabitical after 15 years, hoping of course that they don't lay you off in your 14th

Cons

I didn't find management to be honest, Differing opinions are not tolerate well. I asked a VP "who is REI" his response listed everthing including the managment but not the rank and file. We eere replaceable

Every year benefits went down, yet they continue to rank in top 100 companies. This was supposed to based on feedback from employees, I never knew anyone that was asked???

Political correctness taken to extremes.

Admit that REI is just about the dollars and be honest.

REI was the best place I worked.

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist  in  Sumner, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Sumner, WA

Pros

Benefits for part time employees, encouraging environment, flexibililty with scheduling, opportunity to advance, great employee perks.

Cons

May not be great for someone looking for full time work. When I was there, the hours were good, but not really guaranteed.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Education, engaging, but overall it's still retail.

Current Employee - Sales Specialist  in  Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Lynnwood, WA

Pros

Benefits are fantastic. Both medically and through the ProDeal system. Also, time off is granted for almost any reason (again, due to retail).

Cons

During slow retail times of the year (January - March) it is extremely difficult to get the hours you need in order to pay rent.

Positive feedback on a regular basis is MANDATORY to maintain happy employees. My immediate supervisors were fantastic, but the Store Manager had much to be desired.

Great employer who cares about its employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA

Pros

Work life balance, growth oppotunity and a company that does the right thing are three of the main reasons to come to REI.

Cons

REI has some times when change is hard to make happen. This is changing, but it makes for interesting change management issues.

Keep doing the job that you are doing. Sally Jewell is extremely forward thinking and with her leadership, we are moving in the right direction and setting the CO-OP up for success.

Awesome experience!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Issaquah, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Issaquah, WA

Pros

Great company,benefits, great ambience!!! The staff is super openly friendly and profesional!!

Cons

Haven't found one that I can count as a con!

keep up the enthusiasm and encouraging your employees

A great part time job

Former Employee - Sales Specialist  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Full benefits to part time employees. Great discounts. Great environment.

Cons

Managements focus on membership sales goals. Managements actual knowledge of given departments.

Become more knowledgeable of departments you are overseeing.

Big Box Retailer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Pros

Great people on the floor, most of the time. Some of the old timers get away with murder and store manager are too ignorant or too much of a coward to deal with them. Great discounts and for the most time customers are really great people.

Cons

Don not let your self be fooled by their excellent marketing REI is only a COOP on paper, this COOP is run in the same manner Walt Mart is, just look at the rate it is growing and REI pays horrendous salaries. It could easily compensate its staff full time and part time much better and ensured a much lower turnover. As well store managers end of the year bonuses are calculated in such fashion that saving monies is only beaten by department sales, they will schedule new part times as often as possible until they become too expensive.
    I loved working for REI initially and was promoted rapidly, however the hunt for members and turning away from the COOP model really turned me off. As well the political correctness is overwhelming and if you’re not a liberal (hardcore) then this is not the place to work. Finally if the members actually where informed of employee salaries I am sure they as COOP “owners” would have a thing or two to say about the COOP leadership ways of treating the sales staff, take one look at store managers and the leaderships end of the year bonus and you know this is no longer a COOP.

REI is a Big Box Retailer
    Advice to senior leadership at HQ, wake up stop being fooled by retail directors find a new metrics to score for bonuses and for crying out loud. Either you are a COOP or come out and change your model or with that you must educate and train your retail managers.

Excellent Part-Time Job!

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist  in  Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Fairfax, VA

Pros

Fantastic discounts
    Wonderful diverse community of people
    Generous starting hourly pay
    Good health benefits for part time
    You will mostly work with liberal open minded ladies and gentlemen

Cons

At times I feel that the fact I was never a boyscout / girlscout counts against me in the social structure of the store.

Punishments and rewards should be more clearly defined.
    Training should be more extensive in all aspects.

Worked for REI? Contribute to the Community!