REI

Updated December 18, 2014
3.7

REI President and CEO Jerry Stritzke
Jerry Stritzke

Pros
  • Had forgot what work-life balance was like until I came here (in 60 reviews)

• If you're looking for a part time job that pays well this is a great place to start (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • The pressure of having to sell memberships when most people are already members was too much for me (in 41 reviews)

• Hours are intentionally shy of full time for 80% of staff; maybe to cut costs for employee benefits (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

Uplifting place to work

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at REI part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Going to work was enjoyable. I appreciated the fact that my coworkers were all interesting people from walks of all life an all ages.

Cons

Weekend commitments and retail holiday hours.

None. I appreciated my upper management.

A great part-time job with awesome benefits

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist, Sales Specialist in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at REI part-time (more than an year)

Pros

A fun place to meet interesting people and learn a lot about gear and the outdoors.

Cons

Not a career job. Slow days can be really dreadful.

Great company to work for

I worked at REI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Team members to work with.

Cons

Low wages, but it IS retail.

fun and cool

Current Employee - Cashier in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at REI part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Meet new people
    great pay
    great dicounts

Cons

time goes slow
    gets boring at times

make it more fun

Great balance, managers a bit pushy

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at REI part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The scheduling is very flexible, and they are understanding if you need to take off time as long as they know in advance. Employees are very knowledgeable and a great resource.

Cons

Mangers tend to push metrics substantially more than they probably need to. Membership sales are constantly harped on.

Listen more to employees. Many of their ideas to boost membership sales and overall store functionality are actually quite good.

Worked with REI for over 6 years

Former Employee - Sales Specialist - Soft Goods, Customer Service Representative in Greensboro, NC

I worked at REI part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I worked as a customer service representative and sales specialist for many years and loved every minute of it. REI stays true to their company values and treats their employees with respect as well as great benefits!

Cons

Of course it was a part-time job and one of the hardest parts was getting enough hours to sustain a solid income.

The Best Ever For Outdoor Crazies!

Current Employee - Clothing/Front Line in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Clothing/Front Line in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at REI part-time (less than an year)

Pros

friendly environment, great atmosphere, gives back to community, flexible scheduling, No sales goals = no competition with coworkers = everybody's willing to help everyone, extensive hands on training,

Cons

retail= working some holidays= not much opportunity to travel to family, have to work 1000 hours before benefits kick in, can get hectic (be ready for it), temptation to spend your whole paycheck at the store!

Love working with great people at REI!

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Asheville, NC

I have been working at REI part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love working with people that share my interest for the outdoors and interacting with customers who are excited to be headed to the trail or to the river. Pro deals and employee discounts are a big plus here. I love the culture and history of the Co-Op.

Cons

Pay is not the best and only provide part-time hours, but work environment and additional perks, such as employee discounts/pro deals, are a big plus. My advice would be to hire fewer people and make them full time so that they can be fully committed to the company. Several people that I work with only work one or two short shifts a week and, as a result, do not keep up with things going on within the store and company. Most people need to have other jobs to make ends meet and as a result are not available to help cover shifts when needed.

Hire fewer people and make them full time so that they can be fully committed to the company. Several people that I work with only work one or two short shifts a week and, as a result, do not keep up with things going on within the store and company. Most people need to have other jobs to make ends meet and as a result are not available to help cover shifts when needed.

Top Notch Management and Staff

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at REI part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great discounts, most staff really enjoy being part of the team. Management goes out of their way to make you feel welcome and comfortable.

Cons

Requires commitment to work at least one weekend day. Like any retail position you are going to have some very hard to satisfy customers.

Great company, low hourly rate.

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at REI part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great staff and management. Great benefits for employees.

Cons

Low pay rate. Customers definitely take advantage of the return policies. The selling of memberships feels slightly gimmicky.

Look for ways to pay higher wages to staff.