REI Reviews

Reset

1. Fun place to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tustin, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tustin, CA

I have been working at REI part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

REI is very accommodating with your schedule and allows you to change your availability at any time, as long as you meet the minimum requirements of one weekend day and two weekdays of availability. One major perk is obviously the ability to prodeal product. Prodeals are an industry privilege of ordering product from vendors at insane discounts, usually %50-%80 off retail. REI offers full time benefits to employees who work 20hrs or more a week. Benefits include health, dental, vision, profit sharing, and retirement plans.

Cons

You will not become wealthy working here and most likely will need to have a second job.

2. Need better decision making

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I worked at REI full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Discounts, especially Pro Deals! Great work-life balance. Great people to work with. Health and guaranteed 401k benefits are best I have ever had.

Cons

Failure (or indecisiveness) of management to move projects along. Too many meetings! Opportunities to advance were limited, partly due to long tenure of people in positions above.

Advice to Management

Less micro-management and more decision making!

3. Employee

Current Employee - Certified Master Technician
    Current Employee - Certified Master Technician

Pros

Strong core values, great climate.

Cons

Typical of large companies refining the Corporate Image

5. a great job if you accept retail hours

I have been working at REI full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and employee programs. Fast-paced, energetic, and co-workers are almost always stellar.

Cons

The promoted "work-life balance" is hard unless all your friends also work in retail. The hours are very taxing and can wreak havoc on relationships.

6. Customer Service, Sales Person, Shipping & Recieving

Current Employee - Field Agent in Kennesaw, GA
    Current Employee - Field Agent in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at REI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, the general mood is usually very high. There are continuous opportunities for advancement and training.

Cons

The Scheduling is not consistent, many shifts are only three hours long.

Fantastic compay

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbia, MD

I have been working at REI part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible, great benefits even for part-time employees, amazing co-workers, pretty good starting pay, and yearly performance-based raises. The discounts are great, the work is interesting, they provide lots of training, and really try and place people where their interests and talents are. REI has great values, and encourages all the employees to live those values, and balance work and life. There are tons of classes you get discounts on to learn about new activities, and lots of employee only outings and opportunities to get more involved with the company and your coworkers.

Cons

The pay is not great. It's far above minimum wage, but at least where I live, it's still not enough to pay rent and I work close to 40 hours a week. The downside of having a work life balance is that there is no overtime. You will never be scheduled for more than 40 hours.

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Great management. Clear job expectations and ample opportunity for training.

Cons

Corporate in that there is not a lot of opportunity for growth.

9. Good environment, low pay

Pros

Great company, benefits if you work over 24 hrs a week, great people, environment is fun and relaxed. Pretty easy to get time off. Awesome discount.

Cons

Pressure to sell memberships can be high, hours are really variable and change week to week, makes it hard to plan. Pay is low and typical for retail.

Advice to Management

Pay people more money!

10. Frontline Specialist- Customer Service

Current Employee - Frontline Specialist in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Frontline Specialist in Roseville, CA

I have been working at REI (More than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance AMAZING discounts not just on REI products either- lift tickets, free REI classes Amazing coworkers with a passion for the outdoors Flexible schedule- with exception of "black out dates" 401k matching

Cons

Though REI claims to treat worker "so fair", and while yes they do pay a little above minimum wage, it would be nice if they paid their workers more or offered more than a measly 1-5% yearly raise... It kind of becomes a slap in the face. Almost everyone has 2+ jobs that work at my store.. It would be nice if I could fully dedicate my time to REI, but the pay isn't there, and off-season is SLOW for hours. you can't clear out your work week and then only be scheduled 11hrs (despite being a top membership seller and overall great employee/hard worker [per my manager]) They have asked to cross train me multiple times but refuse to compensate me through my wage.. More responsibility and more work for the same pay.... No way!!

Advice to Management

Fire the people who clearly do not want to/cannot pull his/her own weight As a manager, find more ways to be productive as opposed to "hiding out" in the office

11. Loving the outdoors and sharing the love

Current Employee - Store Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at REI full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, great customers, strong company values, gear discounts, professional development and room to grow. REI is a co-op so we have a unique business model

Cons

Retail job (nights/weekends/holidays are go time), relocation often needed to advance career, limited resources to get job done in the standards we expect.

RSS Feed </> Embed