REI

Updated August 19, 2014

3.5

REI President and CEO Jerry Stritzke
Jerry Stritzke

Pros
  • Possibility for work life balance, support and advancement in other divisions (in 52 reviews)

• If you're looking for a part time job that pays well this is a great place to start (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • The pressure of having to sell memberships when most people are already members was too much for me (in 38 reviews)

• I regret ever getting involved with REI as a full-time gig (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Part-time job

Current Employee - Sales Specialist  in  Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Fairfax, VA

Pros

I have a great group of vibrant coworkers passionate about exploring the outdoors and inspiring customers in their own adventures. The discounts on gear and accessories are amazing, and even though I work part-time I have access to healthcare.

Cons

My work schedule is erratic. I work different hours and days every week. We are given our hours a week at a time, two weeks in advance. We are required to be available for one full shift every weekend, unless we have been approved for time off. Almost no one is full-time, and the number of hours I am given varies dramatically depending on the season.
    My biggest complaint is that to remain on the health insurance, I have to maintain at least 20 hours average per week, and REI cannot promise to give me at least 20 hours, as I am not fulltime. Averages are checked quarterly, and if I fall below, I loose my insurance. This happened once: I got a letter from corporate in my box, and 1 week later I was off. I got no warning. Scheduling is done per store, but averages are monitored at corporate so there is a disconnect. I was sooooo close to 20 hrs average, I could have contributed some of my vacation time to raise up my average if I had known. I went on COBRA, and the following quarter I again qualified for insurance.
    Also, any question about the health plan, and I am referred to a phone number. There is no in-house HR at all.

Provide some warning regarding when running averages are going to be checked for health insurance qualification. This is basic and means so much to those of us relying on insurance.
    Make work schedules more consistent.

Customer service

Pros

Great people, cool gear, fun outdoor atmosphere.

Cons

None I can think of.

Great experience

Pros

It's what you make of it.

Cons

too much empowerment, gives a sense of entitlement

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great benefits and flexibility.

Current Employee - Sales Specialist  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Atlanta, GA

Pros

REI consistently attracts quality employees and customers, making the retail business as pleasurable as retail can be. REI takes work-life balance seriously.

Cons

Many decisions for local stores are made on a national level, which can stifle store growth and development, and is a sense of frustration (and often amusement) for retail employees.

Great place to work

Pros

Working with like minded people who love being outdoors and are passionate about the products we sell, extremely respectful and helpful management and sales leads, competitive hourly pay especially for college students.

Cons

Pressure of meeting membership selling goals set by management

Keep doing what you're doing

Fun place to work, but terrible, horrible, no-good management.

Former Employee - Sales Specialist  in  Brookfield, WI
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Brookfield, WI

Pros

- If you're an outdoorsy person, you already know REI's your toy store. The employee discount was 10%-50%, so it was pretty easy to get whatever you wanted.
    - For retail, the training was significant. Vendors came in often and gave talks, and there was plenty of hands-on time. A minor downside is having to go all the way out to the store on a day off to attend a training.
    - There's a variety of things to do each day in the store, so it's pretty tough to get bored.

Cons

- Useless, utterly insulting store-level management. Apart from the day-to-day complete lack of leadership, there was all manner of corporate double-speak and bureacracies. The real kicker came when a co-worker was accused of stealing. Apparently management had, in their infinite wisdom, decided to put a hidden camera in the stock room(!) to combat huge shrink numbers. They used the footage to fire said co-worker for theft when they saw him "moving things around" in back. Needless to say, "moving things around" was part of the job, and the whole thing just came off as paranoid and nuts. I left soon after that. I heard later the manager got REI's version of 'employee of the year' a few months later.

- The pay is pretty terrible. Granted, I haven't worked there in a couple years, but I really doubt it's magically jumped up to the living-wage range. Benefits are available to part-time employees after a certain amount of time, but the health coverage was negligible and I don't think it even included dental.

- I had open availability, but had to pick up shifts my co-workers dumped because I only got scheduled for 25 hours a week. Somehow, people with other jobs/kids/school were still scheduled the same hours week after week when they dropped shifts.

- Not much room for upward mobility. There are a couple supervisors per store, a store manager and his/her asssitant. If you want decent hours and pay, you'll have to shoot for one of those spots, which will probably involve a transfer.

Misdirection

Former Employee - Sales Specialist  in  Arcadia, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Arcadia, CA

Pros

Great discounts. Camaraderie amongst the employees.

Cons

Managers that have no product knowledge. Managers that do not believe in the REI philosophy of work/play balance.

Gut your stores management team. It is top heavy. I could manager a medium size store with two assistants. Quit being a pseudo green company.

Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Concord, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Concord, CA

Pros

Perfect School part time job. Work life balance cannot be beat, Benefits.... if don't already know look it up they're beyond your fantasies if you know what benefits are in relation to hours worked, (ratio= time worked:benefits paid), Minimum wage is respectable but not livable until you move up, but you can quickly if you actually make serious effort. Other jobs you make serious effort and may move up quicker, yet the benefits and work life balance can't be met, in most occupations.... if you can complain, you're right... a sole proprietorship can be a better work life balance with possible better pay if you're up for the initial start-up work and know what you're doing

Cons

When you begin you cannot live off the wage. It's far better than your burger joint or average job, but still not sustainable until you move up. Advancement is difficult if you view it that way and have managers that don't see advancement as their agenda.. If you are willing to put up with 1 to 2 years of learning without getting the pay you need to live off of, (living with a gf or significant other or college) then you can and will advance if you have the drive. You Will not get the hours you need to live until you move up to sales lead or management, but you can and will if you have it and want it

We are a co-op and that is a philosophy we cannot live without, however to satisfy customer demand we need to act more capitalistic in some ways, not in nature and philosophy, but as a business model. I believe Jerry S. may do quite a bit of good creating our company into a larger brand name than it already is. I believe that strong membership growth is clearly positive, however accountability in other regions is important as well. We do not use commission which is good, having had those jobs before myself. It gives us credibility we couldn't have otherwise, however it creates a problem of accountability It's hard to judge numbers when the only clear numbers are memberships and in recent times, MSA transactions. All our staff need more accountability for what they do.

Excellent Job for Outdoor Nuts!

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist  in  Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Fairfax, VA

Pros

Wonderful place to work where both employees and customers are valued in a real way. Great starting pay and some really interesting, knowledgeable co-workers. The company is very responsible and it felt great to work for a company I could believe in.

Cons

I started working for REI because I wanted to get into camping and outdoor activities and would have appreciated more product knowledge and training in the different areas of the store. I felt like because I didn't come in with a background that I was relegated to customer service and found it difficult to integrate myself into the team.

Great people, great stuff

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Cashier in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

The customers and the co-workers were all passionate about the same things I was. Made it easy to come to work each day.

Cons

It seemed the ability to move up was very competitive, required relocation and didn't happen that often.

Remember who you are and where you came from. I got the feeling that the day to day leadership had taken a toll on management.

Worked for REI? Contribute to the Community!