REI Reviews

4.0

REI President and CEO Jerry Stritzke
Jerry Stritzke

Pros
  • Had forgot what work-life balance was like until I came here (in 58 reviews)

• If you're looking for a part time job that pays well this is a great place to start (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • The pressure of having to sell memberships when most people are already members was too much for me (in 41 reviews)

• Hours are intentionally shy of full time for 80% of staff; maybe to cut costs for employee benefits (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights

It's all about who you directly work with... & it's totally corporate.

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Falls Church, VA

I worked at REI

Pros

It's a relatively easy job, even in customer service with difficult customers that come there w/ problems.

Cons

The ideals/image of REI & the reality are not exactly the same. Very corporate
    The scheduling became increasingly difficult.
    Low compensation
    Having to push "memberships"
    Boredom factor... it is retail after all. Could be worse (as in sales associate)
    It's not as portable of a job as one would think... I know one person who moved cross country & was promised close to FT hours but kept getting less than 20h/wk.
    Evaluations are done thru some system that was clearly brought (bought) from some management consulting (software) company... not always reflective or considerate of all the factors.

Every company has to evolve but its a shame REI has evolved so far away from it's roots & values. Big fast growth isn't always best.

Best work experience of my life.

Former Employee - Analyst in Kent, WA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Kent, WA

I worked at REI

Pros

Great people - REI has an active, engaged workforce. Pleasant culture - the need to find balance between working hard and having fun is not only acknowledged but encouraged.

Cons

Some managers were reluctant to ask employees to be accountable - but I think that happens in any organization and is thankfully it is rare at REI.

Stay focused on high levels of job satisfaction. Remain committed to quality product that everyone in the organization can be proud of. Continue to give back by supporting great causes.

Awesome

Current Employee - Cashier in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Cashier in Durham, NC

I have been working at REI

Pros

Great Discounts. you get 50 or more percent off, its crazy who would want to pay regular price after that

Cons

They brainwash you with corporate bull, 20 hour miniumum work week, required meetings, unhappy customers, short lunches, no bathroom breaks

Its really a great place to work. you get awesome discounts, 50 percent or more off, its crazy. who would want to pay retail after that

Excellent Part-Time Job!

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at REI

Pros

Fantastic discounts
    Wonderful diverse community of people
    Generous starting hourly pay
    Good health benefits for part time
    You will mostly work with liberal open minded ladies and gentlemen

Cons

At times I feel that the fact I was never a boyscout / girlscout counts against me in the social structure of the store.

Punishments and rewards should be more clearly defined.
    Training should be more extensive in all aspects.

Big Box Retailer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I worked at REI

Pros

Great people on the floor, most of the time. Some of the old timers get away with murder and store manager are too ignorant or too much of a coward to deal with them. Great discounts and for the most time customers are really great people.

Cons

Don not let your self be fooled by their excellent marketing REI is only a COOP on paper, this COOP is run in the same manner Walt Mart is, just look at the rate it is growing and REI pays horrendous salaries. It could easily compensate its staff full time and part time much better and ensured a much lower turnover. As well store managers end of the year bonuses are calculated in such fashion that saving monies is only beaten by department sales, they will schedule new part times as often as possible until they become too expensive.
    I loved working for REI initially and was promoted rapidly, however the hunt for members and turning away from the COOP model really turned me off. As well the political correctness is overwhelming and if you’re not a liberal (hardcore) then this is not the place to work. Finally if the members actually where informed of employee salaries I am sure they as COOP “owners” would have a thing or two to say about the COOP leadership ways of treating the sales staff, take one look at store managers and the leaderships end of the year bonus and you know this is no longer a COOP.

REI is a Big Box Retailer
    Advice to senior leadership at HQ, wake up stop being fooled by retail directors find a new metrics to score for bonuses and for crying out loud. Either you are a COOP or come out and change your model or with that you must educate and train your retail managers.

A great part time job

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at REI

Pros

Full benefits to part time employees. Great discounts. Great environment.

Cons

Managements focus on membership sales goals. Managements actual knowledge of given departments.

Become more knowledgeable of departments you are overseeing.

Awesome experience!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Issaquah, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Issaquah, WA

I have been working at REI

Pros

Great company,benefits, great ambience!!! The staff is super openly friendly and profesional!!

Cons

Haven't found one that I can count as a con!

keep up the enthusiasm and encouraging your employees

Great employer who cares about its employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA

I have been working at REI

Pros

Work life balance, growth oppotunity and a company that does the right thing are three of the main reasons to come to REI.

Cons

REI has some times when change is hard to make happen. This is changing, but it makes for interesting change management issues.

Keep doing the job that you are doing. Sally Jewell is extremely forward thinking and with her leadership, we are moving in the right direction and setting the CO-OP up for success.

Education, engaging, but overall it's still retail.

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at REI

Pros

Benefits are fantastic. Both medically and through the ProDeal system. Also, time off is granted for almost any reason (again, due to retail).

Cons

During slow retail times of the year (January - March) it is extremely difficult to get the hours you need in order to pay rent.

Positive feedback on a regular basis is MANDATORY to maintain happy employees. My immediate supervisors were fantastic, but the Store Manager had much to be desired.

REI was the best place I worked.

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Sumner, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Sumner, WA

I worked at REI

Pros

Benefits for part time employees, encouraging environment, flexibililty with scheduling, opportunity to advance, great employee perks.

Cons

May not be great for someone looking for full time work. When I was there, the hours were good, but not really guaranteed.