REI

www.rei.com
Employer Engaged

Great company but poor middle management

Current Employee - Sales Specialist- Action Sports in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist- Action Sports in Chicago, IL

I have been working at REI part-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Amazing employee discount

-Fun working with coworkers who share the same interest

-Diverse employees

Cons

-Unfair distribution of hours. My manager unless I spoke with them several times would give employees who started at the same time in the company with the same availability different hours per a week. For example some weeks I received 4 and others 15 per a week. I rarely received 15 hours. The schedule is emailed with everybody's names. Very easy to see when others are receiving more hours than yourself. Felt like the middle mangers did not take time to make sure all employees were being treated equal.

-Everyone is hired as seasonal at first. Then after 90 days they review your performance to see if they want to keep you permanently on their team.

-Performance reviews are often months behind. For example I never received my 30 day check in until I worked for the company for 60 days. I'm still waiting for my 90 day review even though I started months before the holidays. I have yet to find out if I will be staying on the team as a part-time employee or asked to leave. This is EXTREMELY frustrating and takes the fun out of working for this company.

-People hardly leave REI, so openings for promotions are limited.

-Managers need to distribute hours equally especially to part-time employees.

-Follow through on performance reviews especially after 90 days.

As soon as the starting managers left for better jobs the place was a living nightmare and disordered.

Former Employee - Frontline, Banking, Outerwear in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Frontline, Banking, Outerwear in McLean, VA

I worked at REI part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun people to work with, interesting stories from customers wishing you were going on their trips

Cons

pay rate low not enough to live,
    no steady management,
    exploitation,
    No flexibility for students so you better find someone who could cover your shift or your terminated they don't want to train people in needed areas such as banking.. well guess what I was terminated and passed my college courses.

listen to your employees if you want to keep them

Great!

Current Employee - Retail Sales in Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales in Kent, WA

I have been working at REI

Pros

I absolutely loved working here!

Cons

Nothing come to mind at the time.

Keep it up!

Awesome

Current Employee - Frontline Cashier
    Current Employee - Frontline Cashier

I have been working at REI part-time (less than a year)

Pros

REI is a great place to work if you live the lifestyle. Working here allows you to get large discounts on the things you like to do. Many of your coworkers will have different hobbies, and most are willing to take you out and share that experience with you. So if you like to try new things and you are a gear junkie, then this is a great environment for you. And you are always recognized if you do a great job or go above and beyond.

Holiday party at a rock climbing gym...

Cons

Pay isn't that great for new employees, but still above minimum wage.

Cares for employees

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in East Hanover, NJ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in East Hanover, NJ

I have been working at REI part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome employee discounts
    The company listens to your needs
    Great starting pay for retail
    Benefits and paid time off
    Room for growth

Cons

Not a consistent schedule

Management not great. If they have a problem with you, they won't tell you and may just fire you.

I worked at REI

Pros

Co-workers are awesome. Except for managers not giving feedback and their firing policy, it it s great place.

Cons

Management has some issues. I was fired due to "issues" they had with me. I had been told by both of my managers that I was doing great/excellent, so I thought I was fine. They admitted that the managers had spoken and had written comments 3 times, though they didn't tell me. They also wanted me to come in on Black-Friday to work at 7am and probably fire me then. I knew another employee who was "fired" at her 3 month review, though she had never had negative feedback beforehand. Luckily (for her, a great person), the management messed up with that because the one who fired her left and the other manager was on sabbatical, so they just forgot about her and she kept her job. I heard from many employees that many managers didn't know what they were doing. A real bummer.

If you have an issue with your employee, just tell him/her, they may improve greatly once they even know if there is a problem. You can't give positive feedback and then expect them to know there was a problem.

Strong company with unique assets, trying to find its way in a more competitive landscape

Former Employee - Senior Professional At HQ in Kent, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Professional At HQ in Kent, WA

I worked at REI full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

REI does a great job recruiting employees who share company values, which creates a strong sense of community where most really care about doing a good job. It is a fun workplace where many employees form tight friendships, making it a hard place to leave. The coop model is a real plus because leaders can make decisions with the long-term health of the company in mind. Most benefits programs are strong.

Cons

At times it can take forever to get a change off the ground, even if many people believe it needs to happen. The company lacks the appropriate level of planning and project management functions, which means large projects can experience many stops and starts and often not cross the finish line. Too many individual heroics are required to get things done.

With many recent leadership changes at the top, too many lower level leaders are scrambling to please those above at the expense of thinking for themselves, which is increasing the political environment and having a negative impact on employees reporting to them. You will encounter fabulous leaders in some areas and mediocre ones in others, and there is not a strong enough focus on training and evaluating leaders to ensure consistency.

Don't forget the company values in the name of "business." The people and the values are what differentiates REI and will continue to be a key element of success if you hold onto them. Please set the example for this and require it of those below. REI cannot thrive as a company full of "yes" people.

REI is still a good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at REI

Pros

Great co-workers. Interesting products that you can get seriously excited about selling

Cons

Times are changing. Employees are expected to work more and make more profit for REI. The fun aspects are going away. This is OK is you know up front.

Be honest about how much is expected from employees. Stop telling people about a great work/life balance. Those ideas are gone.

The Walmart of the Outdoor Industry

Current Employee - Retail Sales Specialist in Lakewood, CO
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Specialist in Lakewood, CO

I have been working at REI part-time (less than a year)

Pros

First, let me say I've worked for REI twice; once back in 2011, now in 2014. The first time I worked for REI it was everything I'd heard it was. The managers were exceptional, the staff were all very cool and outgoing, and there was a sense that the place we were working at was something special. It seemed like the company truly cared for it's workers. That is about the only positive thing I have to say about this company.

Cons

Now in 2014, this company has changed so much for the worse it isn't even funny. Fair treatment from the bosses? Ha, not even likely. Blatant favoritism runs rampant at this company, at least at the retail level. If you aren't an absolute suck-up, you will NOT get hours like the employees who do.

Watch as your schedule gets adjusted before your very eyes to ensure you are kept under the 20-hour-per-week minimum to qualify for benefits.

Watch as REI brags about their wonderful gear and clothing discounts but don't count on ever being able to afford anything this store sells as your paycheck won't ever cover it.

There are no opportunities to advance in this company, unless you want to be a retail manager (and when a spot opens in retail management, count on having to compete against several HUNDRED other applicants).

I really hate to sound so down on REI but they really are going down the drain. The corporate mentality is rampant here, the only emphasis is on selling memberships, the pay is terrible, the hours are terrible, the opportunity for advancement is non-existent, and the company will constantly rub in your face how profitable they are while finding reasons for not scheduling you the hours you requested.

You guys killed the golden goose. At one point in time, this place was awesome. Decent pay, benefits, compassionate management. Now, this place is like Walmart. I wish word would get out to everyone that REI is not what it used to be. The only thing I can say is try to bring this place back to the level it was. Other than that, I have nothing else to say.

Amazing place to work

Former Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at REI full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great structure, competitive wages, appropriate work/life balance for retail. Solid employee environment. Great benefits.

Cons

None. For retail, by far the best organization in which to work.

Continue to grow from within and identify talent