REI

REI Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

REI President and CEO Jerry Stritzke

Jerry Stritzke

Pros
  • Possibility for work life balance, support and advancement in other divisions (in 52 reviews)

• If you're looking for a part time job that pays well this is a great place to start (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • The pressure of having to sell memberships when most people are already members was too much for me (in 38 reviews)

• I regret ever getting involved with REI as a full-time gig (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Upbeat Company

Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) Hingham, MA

ProsA fun place to work.

ConsPay could be a lot better.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more sales incentives

Merchandise Assistant

Merchandising Assistant (Current Employee) Kent, WA

ProsGreat coworkers, teleworking, ability to wear casual clothing.

ConsCareer path takes a long time. Hard to get managers support for growth opportunies.

Fun for a part-time job but some big downsides

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFun environment, usually a good customer base/like values, great discounts on clothing and gear, pretty easy work, room to grow if you're willing to go through REI's intense endorsement process.

ConsWhen the economy is bad, shifts get cut and employees scramble to compete for hours/work; benefits not that great for part-timers/non-management (at least prior to ACA); some immature people not taking this job seriously and contributing enough; co-op nature pits managers against employees instills a bit of fear in management to make tough decisions/toughen up on those not carrying their load; pay scale not great; REI's lax return policy poses problems and is demoralizing if you work customer service

Advice to Senior ManagementIn my store at least, some managers were ineffective in getting employees on board and fairly/effectively leading the team. I would like to have seen more effective leadership and less power in employee hands. Also, reward those people working really hard!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Still the best job environment in retail

Retail Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat co-workers, employee discounts, relatively flexible work schedule, fantastic health/vision/dental benefits for 20 plus hours/week employees, generally the best customers in retail too. Generally good work/life balance, even managers aren't supposed to work more than 40 hours per week.

ConsBesides the obvious- retail work hours= most weekends and holidays you are working, and many evenings as well.

Great atmosphere

Sales Specialist (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsAmazing coworkers, laid back, room for growth, when compared to other retail jobs REI is clearly a better company, very clear path to management roles if desired but no other career paths

ConsNo hours during slow seasons

If the pay was better and you could move up more easily, it would be a 5 star job for outdoor types.

Sales Lead (Current Employee) Tustin, CA

ProsEasy to get time off. Flexible schedule. Fun place to work. Mostly good coworkers. Good employee discount.

ConsPay is just ok. Moving up is very difficult and frustrating since there are no real opportunities outside of retail management. Blackout days on time off around Christmas time so you will definitely miss out on family get-togethers.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a southern United States product mix. Realize that there are a ton of overqualified people working for you and take them seriously when they want to pursue a career at REI.

Great benefits and cool gear!

ProsGreat benefits and very flexible with scheduling. Opportunities to transfer at stores around the nation. Overall a great company to work for.

ConsBecoming more "mainstream" and run more like a business opposed to a true co-op. Getting full-time status is hard- seems like they hire more seasonal/part-time help opposed to bumping an existing employee to full time.

Great Place to Work

Cashier (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsI loved everything about this place. If you are into the outdoors and love working with people who are too, then this job is for you. The competition of selling memberships makes it fun.

ConsThe pay could have been a little better

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Great company, lots of changes in flight

ProsGREAT people, great industry, beautiful campus, lots of perks, support for new ideas, latitude to do many new things, work at home options, stewardship,

ConsLower than normal salaries for comparable positions, questionable mid mgmnt leadership decisions at critical points

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember what the company is here for - stay true to that foundation and build competitiveness and value from that point.

Times Are Changing

Employee Looking for A Way Out (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsNon management employees genuinely care about each other and the company but this is rapidly dissipating.

The gear discounts are good at first but there is a point in time where you have all the gear one could possibly ever need not to mention that it is hard to afford the gear even at the discounted price.

Remains a co-op...for now.

ConsThe Fairfax store, for many years, has been a home away from home and a place that you looked forward to the interactions of both employees and customers alike. Now, it takes every ounce of my being just to get out of the car and walk across the parking lot to work a dead end job where store moral has fallen off the table. Hours are cut during the slow periods to "meet business needs" all the while treated like a second class employee. Once business picks up, you are scheduled to the max of your availability and expected to care about a company that only a few short moths ago, cast you aside. Often times during this busy time you are scheduled six, seven, sometimes nine days in a row and if you speak up about it you are reminded how you wanted more hours. Employee turn-over is on the rise and there is nothing being done to retain the employees because management views you as expendable. The compensation and wage increases are a joke and are at the point of being just a notch above a slap in the face with no solid reason or goals of how you could do better and when asked how to make more money you are told to move up in the company but there is a lack of upward mobility and the "endorsement process" is a mythical process that has no guidelines. The endorsement process has lead to more departures of many, many high quality employees than is has seen promoted to the ranks of management. My advice to you is to seek employment with any other company but this one, if you are going to be treated like a second class employee, you might as well get paid more for it. There is a reason why this company dropped from a top 10 on Fortunes Top Companies To Work For list all the way down to 69th. The staff are crying out, lets not hope it falls on deaf ears.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart caring about you employees and treat them the way you expect them to treat your customers. This includes better wages and a welcoming environment.

Worked for REI? Contribute to the Community!