REI

Updated December 18, 2014
3.7

REI President and CEO Jerry Stritzke
Jerry Stritzke

Pros
  • Had forgot what work-life balance was like until I came here (in 60 reviews)

• If you're looking for a part time job that pays well this is a great place to start (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • The pressure of having to sell memberships when most people are already members was too much for me (in 41 reviews)

• Hours are intentionally shy of full time for 80% of staff; maybe to cut costs for employee benefits (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Retail Sales Specialist in Concord, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Specialist in Concord, CA

I have been working at REI part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, nice environment and awesome perks!

Cons

The only bad thing about working at REI was the limited opportunity for promotion.

Sales Specialist

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at REI part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people, amazing discounts and pretty decent benefits.

Cons

Not to much fun if your working at a very slow store, but thats any retail really

Keep it up

In school job

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Cary, NC

I worked at REI part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits for even part time employees. I had a 401k with match while working part time and opportunities for benefits. The employee discounts and pro-deals were amazing and a great group of people to work for.

Cons

Being a student I had trouble getting time off that I needed at times. Huge push to always sell memberships, this was sometimes pushed more than providing quality service. I always sold plenty but never felt that it was enough. Luckily my management did not push us to sign users up for credit cards.

Frontline, CS

I worked at REI

Pros

A great opportunity who wants a laid back, inclusive work experience with people who actually care about what they are selling.

Cons

Still a corporate structure and sometimes can be frustrating with new procedures or tests that they decide to implement. Still a small complaint

Keep it up

Very disillusioned about eroding company values.

Former Employee - Frontline Cashier in Arcadia, CA
    Former Employee - Frontline Cashier in Arcadia, CA

I worked at REI part-time (less than an year)

Pros

All the Medical Benefits good

Cons

Think twice before working at REI. Long timers are sad to see REI becoming so corporate that it cares nothing for the well being of its employees. REI has lost sight of the important values that it claims to hold. It is sad to see a a company's values erode in its greedy clutch for money. The compensation is poor. There are really no perks.

The management is completely out of touch with staff at the Arcadia Ca. store. It is a shame. I worked at the Arcadia store as a seasonal employee. It became very clear that the only objective is to sell "memberships" and credit cards. My fiance stayed on to work part time. We have recently gotten married and the manager at the Arcadia store declined him 4 days off for a honeymoon. My husband has been consistently a top membership producer. Company life-work balance value is non existent.

Good company but pay needs to be more competitive

Former Employee - Shop Technician in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Former Employee - Shop Technician in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I worked at REI part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good employees
    good customers
    fun atmosphere

Cons

management is increasingly too sales oriented

ease off the hardball selling you asking employees to do constantly

Not what it used to be?

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Salem, OR

I have been working at REI part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working with a lot of like-minded outdoorsy people is a lot of fun, and learning all about the different products has been great. Training is very good, they make sure you have at least a decent knowledge of what you're selling. The connection to the Outdoor School is AWESOME.

Cons

Management is extremely pushy/aggressive about selling memberships. Many of my fellow coworkers lie to customers just so they can sell more memberships, and I constantly have customers ask me if we are on a commission-based salary because they are harassed so often (we are not). Maybe just a unique aspect to the store I work at? Also keep in mind that although REI offers great benefits, that only applies to full-time employees, and getting a full-time position is extremely competitive (you have to sell a ton of memberships regularly). You are also only given hours based on the memberships you sell, so if you don't sell many memberships, expect a 4 hour work week (I am only disgruntled about this because I had been promised 25+ hours when I was hired).

great coworkers and products, but too much emphasis on selling memberships

Current Employee - Hardgoods Associate in Fairbanks, AK
    Current Employee - Hardgoods Associate in Fairbanks, AK

I have been working at REI part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-I've met some great people who share my hobbies and interests
    -I love the gear I get to sell and I like when I can interact with customers and talk about products trips, etc.
    -Schedule is very flexible and all of my time off requests have been approved. My managers are willing to work around my schedule and other things I have going on.
    -I think the company has good values and standards.
    -the prodeals are amazing.
    Overall I am satisfied but there are several things that frustrate me...

Cons

-The schedule is completely different from week to week. This makes it really hard to plan anything else in my life in advance. I guess that's the price we pay for time off flexibility though.
    -There is so much emphasis on selling memberships. That's the biggest thing the managers judge our performance by. However, this is difficult because I'm pressured to continually harass people who clearly just want to go about their shopping. We're trained in ways to respond and rebut any reason why people DON'T want a membership.
    -Memberships aside, we're supposed to engage in conversation with every single customer, even when they clearly do not want help. Last week I was rudely told "you're the 4th person to try to help me in the last 2 minutes in this store." Several customers get annoyed and/or become rude before we back off. However, if I don't approach customers and talk about membership, I'm not doing my job.
    -Hours are largely based on membership sales, since that's the only thing they really have to judge us by.
    -This may just be my store, but the management is inconsistent - one manager will have us do things one way, and then the next day the other manager will get upset at us for doing it the "wrong" way and tell us to do something different. It's very frustrating.

Change is good?

Current Employee - Leader in Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Leader in Kent, WA

I have been working at REI full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

REI is unique in that is is a mission centered retailer. It is a co-op and therefore can take a longer view than most corporations focused on Wall Street and quarterly earnings. It has a strong and mission and values. The people are one of a kind. Work-life balance is not a four letter word. The outdoors and Prodeals :-)

Cons

The board of directors is relatively new and leadership is in transition. Change is underway, people are fatigued but the results have not been fully realized yet. Good people are being swept aside. The luster is fading.

Keep the lines of communication open. Don't lose what made us great and special. Don't forget about commitments in the quest for profits and to quote Mary Anderson, don't forget to ask if it's still fun here.

Lost it's luster.

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Sumner, WA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Sumner, WA

I worked at REI full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great if part time, benefits

Cons

Senior management, compensation, employee recognition, hours..

Return to your roots, remember that your customers are #1 and treating your employees like they are all dispensable will make your employees dispense themselves. Great employees come from great leadership. Lose some of the chiefs... Find the family that rei used to be 5 years ago.