REI Reviews

Reset

1. REI Still Growing

Current Employee - Operations Managet in Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Operations Managet in Kent, WA

Pros

REI is a fun and fast pace place to work. It has great benefits and we are really getting back to what we should be about a great place to get outdoor gear. The new CEO has renewed the great culture that has always been here

Cons

It would always be nice to make more money with a higher base rate, but the trade off for 15% retirement and the summit bonus makes up for it

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on the customer and employees so we can continue to grow like we've been growing this year

Balanced and live their values

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Kent, WA

I have been working at REI full-time

Pros

balanced, great products and discounts, able to have an impact to your work area. management is aware of resource limits. can usually work only 40 hours

Cons

chaotic. lots of turnover, limited accountability, hq is isolated. turnover and very lean environment makes it difficult to deliver

3. Good Company

Pros

Good work environment, people you get to work with are very knowledgeable and kind

Cons

The company does not promote their own employees easily. If you have worked here for more than three months you have to go through a process of endorsement in order to move up in the company. However if you have not worked at REI or have been there less than three months than you may apply to higher positions. I find it to be an unfair process

5. Great for part-time work while in college

Pros

Great team of people, empowering work environment, amazing discounts.

Cons

Low upward mobility, you need to give a lot of availability, but often receive low hours.

6. All About the Coop

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist

I worked at REI part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at REI was the best opportunity I was afforded during my Senior year of high school. As the youngest staff member at the time, I was treated as an equal and expected to perform at the same level as my peers.

Cons

Because most people had worked retail before, I was not as prepared to work the register and spent a lot of time learning on-the-go. The return policy can be frustrating, but this was the best opportunity I could have had to learn customer service skills. Absolutely loved my job.

IT Director

Current Employee - IT Director in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - IT Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at REI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Top notch culture, diverse, good work life balance

Cons

location makes commute tough for folks from North and east. No share options as it is a co-op

8. Sales Specialist

Current Employee - Sales Specialist

I have been working at REI part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, positive people, happy customers who come looking for advice on their adventures.

Cons

At retail level the communication between HQ and store is broken. You just deal with what they say, fit or not. Leadership seems a bit lost on strategic direction. Internal communications non existent.

Advice to Management

Establish better communication channel throughout the company. Listen to what the stores tell you is important to their customers and let them differentiate a bit. It won't kill the business but help customers understand not all stores are exactly the same due to location and market.

9. Great Work Environment

Pros

Great place to work, the people are awesome and the management really has your back and is there for you both on and off the job

Cons

hourly wage isn't great but it is a retail job so can't expect that much

10. Sales

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Seattle, WA

Pros

Flexible hours, gear discounts, friendly people

Cons

Low pay, always on your feet

11. Great company

Current Employee - Sales Specialist

I have been working at REI (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, great environment, great perks. The discount opportunities alone make it worth looking into...

Cons

They like to start people off with few hours. May take time to get enough hours to make it your only job. The pay is also a little on the lower side at first. Lastly, it takes a full year to get health benefits.

RSS Feed </> Embed