REI Systems

REI Systems Reviews

Updated Jun 30, 2014

REI Systems President & CEO Veer Bhartiya

Veer Bhartiya

Pros
  • Flexible hours, nice working environment(in 6 reviews)

• Very friendly work environment, which also includes top management(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • After all this hard work also, do not expect recognition unless you have out of office friendship with managers(in 3 reviews)

• When deadlines come up people are working late nights and weekend hours for 1-2 months before releases, which can happen every 4-6 months(in 3 reviews)

It's a much better place in last 2 years!

Principal Engineer (Current Employee) Sterling, VA

ProsProfessional Development Program
    Better Leave Benefits
    Better Medical Benefits
    Stock Options
    Great Place to learn new technology
    I would say it's an amazing place to work and learn new skills. Lot of brilliant people.
    Great Upper management
    Cool People
    An Employee Driven Health Club and Electronics Club is a great idea

ConsPerception is some are managers because they are close to upper management not because they have skills. They lack soft and technical skills and also not good communicators. And that reflects clearly and poorly on REI. It's time they understand these project managers(98% of them) are not only bad influence on people but on company's reputation.
    These project managers make people slog , deliver the project and get good business for you. But in the process you loose 3 good people and a bad bad reputation!

But upper management is doing a much better job which negates some of the harm done by others.
    People are generally good in the company.
    Overall it's a very positive company and is open to new ideas.
    Lot of changes are beginning to happen and that is bringing some confidence on the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean up your project managers.
    Hire people who have good soft skills or find people who are good in people management skills inside company.
    You guys have amazing technical brains. You can use them better.

Company that cares

Pros1. Executive team always willing to listen and learn

2. The company is willing to make changes based on market needs

3. Focused career tracks for technology and management cadres

4. Great benefits package. (They just made great changes to the professional development hours, health and annual leave benefits package)

5. World class facility with great amenities

Cons1. Lack of core working hours, so that folks can plan their daily activities better

2. Staggered vesting of 401K benefits. It would be nice to have benefits 100% vested in capital markets from day one of enrollment

Advice to Senior ManagementMore focus on increasing REI's brand awareness in the Federal government sector

Love the positive changes + professional development

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sterling, VA

ProsFocus on employee development and communication is very good. Based on employee feedback in executive town-hall meets, they brought many good changes. Benefits are better, vacation days are added, professional development hours. Very positive changes.

ConsNeed more focus on latest technology and innovation. Work from home priveleges difficult to get. I wish there was public transport and better food choices closeby

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the focus on employees. More Happy Hours?

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company

ProsVery intelligent people, excellent career growth

ConsNeeds more understanding of how business work. Sr. Management lacks industry experience

Program Manager

Program Manager (Current Employee) Sterling, VA

ProsThe company treats employees like family! Employee development focused! Flat organization structure lends to easy access to Senior Management.

ConsThe company needs to diversify its business more! The budget constraint in the federal government is impacting the growth of this mid sized company!

A great company to work with which has been growing the right way!

Project Manager (Current Employee) Sterling, VA

ProsContinuous growth, competitive salaries and benefits, great work culture, and positive work environment.

ConsNone that I can truly think of.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not compromise on basic principles while growing and be open to changes.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great work, very flexible, Fun People

Applications Programmer (Current Employee) Sterling, VA

ProsREI is a gem along the beltway. I have worked at a number of different tech companies in the area and few can match this place. The grants work we do is incredibly impactful and it's typical to work very flexible hours - which is great for me and my family. I also enjoy the team I work - very friendly and reliable - along with the benefits of bagels, ping pong and Xboxes in the game room.

ConsThe company is growing pretty fast and it is hard to know folks outside of your team. More should be done at the company or project team level.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more company events. Get more employees involved in corporate initiatives and not rely on a handful of people to lead every club and program.

Great Company to work

Senior Development Database Engineer (Current Employee) Chantilly, VA

ProsFlexible Timings – which is very important from a work-life balance perspective.
    Senior management is always open to inputs / suggestions from employees, and actually listen to us.
    Opportunity to learn and grow along with the company.
    Management cares about the employees careers and employees are encouraged to pursue their career-path.
    Nice benefits - good healthcare , 401k Plan

ConsUn-even task assignments which could be handled better

Advice to Senior ManagementWork could be assigned even better across all the staff members

Like the Projects here - they really make a difference!

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee) Sterling, VA

Pros• My experience with REI has been very rewarding. Being an open source guy I was looking for a company where can I really help make an impact. I definitely think I have joined the right place.
    • They are the pioneers in introducing open source technology in federal government. The work we did on many high traffic, high visibility Government websites have been replicated across the globe and in state government sites as well.
    • I get a lot of job satisfaction here - when millions of users access web sites you built, and when you can see you are making a real impact on how the government runs, it gives a very creative satisfaction to me as a developer and forces me to develop even more great products!
    • Proud to say that my team in REI developed and operates 3 of the top 10 Open Government Web Sites. These are Data.gov, IT Dashboard and USAspending.gov (Per Information week, 2012 Jan - http://www.informationweek.com/government/information-management/top-10-open-government-websites/232500442)
    • My team has many highly energetic and enthusiastic folks who have real out of box thinking and innovation in their blood. Some of the team-members are fantastic and I have so much fun working with them.

Cons• Due to Customer budgets, constraints, timelines etc. our designs, recommendations, ideas that leverage the latest tools sometimes cannot become a reality – and that constricts leveraging all potential…
    • I think better streamlining and structuring of priorities will definitely help.
    • REI needs to be more media savvy because I don’t see any news article about the great projects they have done.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeverage our strengths to target state and local government too!

A company on the rise where you are challenged constantly

ProsReally talented co-workers, interesting cutting-edge projects where innovation is prized, very collegial working environment, flexible hours, really nice office space. I think this is one of the better places to work along the Dulles corridor in terms of life-style and mission-driven work.

ConsPerhaps overly focused on technology-development and technical skills. Sometimes the forest is hard to tell from the trees. All levels of the organization should be better in-tune with the objectives of the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementPush your employees to think outside of the box; to be creative, not just heads-down problem solvers. Move beyond rigid processes to empower colleagues to build, not just follow orders.

Worked for REI Systems? Contribute to the Community!