REI Systems

Updated December 20, 2014
2.8

REI Systems President & CEO Veer Bhartiya
Veer Bhartiya

Pros
  • Flexible hours, nice working environment (in 7 reviews)

• If u stay a long time and if they like you the benefits are good (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of core working hours, so that folks can plan their daily activities better (in 6 reviews)

• After all this hard work also, do not expect recognition unless you have out of office friendship with managers (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Very disappointing place to work for

I worked at REI Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pros are stable (so I thought) employment and steady work. Very smart CEO and technology is very advanced.

Cons

Lack of even a single African American in Management since company inception, if I say more it will be easy to know who I am so suffice it to say I am very unhappy .No promotion to good loyal employees, only friends and family get promoted. I was never promoted my entire time there, suffered discriminatory actions against me many times and even though it was brought to HR three times nothing was ever done, believe it or not. I was lied to repeatedly and generally treated very poorly by people there for far less time than I was, the manager of my team spent more time home than in the office and played favorites and ignored my hard work. I gave my best effort which never seemed to be enough until I discovered I was born with the wrong color skin and then I was able to see clearly. I was lied to repeatedly both in front of my face and behind my back and suffice it to say, I am unhappy about my time there and would not recommend this as a place to work unless you are able to have a thick skin, the managers are very hard driving and low complementing. I am glad I am elsewhere now because discrimination is real there. Those from the Northern part of India have it best there.

New managers who actually care about their employees.

Think twice before joining this company

I worked at REI Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good location and THAT'S IT.

Cons

If you have some self-esteem you should think ten times before joining this company. Bad management (from top to bottom) to the core. Most of the managers you will get chance to work with don't care about you spending some quality time with your family. This company preaches work life balance but don't follow it. Not to mention all the favoritism that is shown by these managers to the people who loves to say 'YES' to their every demand. If you go against their will then only god can save you. If you survive working in this company under their evil management, you can survive anywhere in this universe.

Open up your eyes and mind and seriously start looking after the well being of your (non-managerial level) employees. They deserve better for all the hard work they are putting in on day to day basis.

Keep away

I worked at REI Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Cannot find any. Even required 5 words. I didn't meet before such lack of respect to employees.

Cons

Not american company. Ugly work ethic, poor management, working overtime is a must. I wonder why people still stay there?

None. Disrespect.

REI systems

I have been working at REI Systems full-time

Pros

Great co workers
    Flexible hours
    Low morale

Cons

No Promotion
    Promotes only friends and family

REI invests in employees

Current Employee - Associate Software Architect in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Associate Software Architect in Sterling, VA

I have been working at REI Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I was so excited when I got the MS COE pioneer plaque and dell tablet. I was already happy and satisfied with all the opportunities that REI provides for us to improve our technical skills - MSDN accounts, powerful laptops, plural sight account, trainings and 1 week of professional development hours.

I wanted to personally thank you senior mgmt for making all this happen. I get to work with other govt contracting companies as a sub contract. From what I have seen, REI is an amazing place to work.

Cons

Need to win more projects to sustain

bid and win more projects

Stay Away

I have been working at REI Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

location is good for my commute and the health benefits are nice

Cons

The management is not knowledgeable in the areas of the employees that they supervise. They under utilize then complain you are not productive. Not allowed to take initiative to find work to fill your time either because they see this as going over your manager's head and involving yourself in things you have no business being involved in. Task directions are vague and use a lot of fluff. When you try to cut through the BS to figure out what you are really being asked to do they act like you are incompetent. They say they are diverse but they are not. You better be from India to be successful and given a chance here. I have been a senior leadership position in my past positions but was criticized for making recommendations here after two months because I am too new. Anything that you point out that they could do better just makes them defensive and you get criticized for not appreciating the REI Way and organization and culture (which they think is so unique and wonderful). Do not dare bring past experiences or lessons learned or best practices here. They don't want to hear it because they think they are unique. They rather rebuild the wheel. The President is wonderful but about to retire. Unfortunately, his VP do not display his values and walk all over him. I tried escalating an issue with my supervisor and failed horribly. I talked directly to my manager and then tried going to the next level manager. He didn't even listen to me and then told my manager I complained so I got screamed at the next day. So I went to HR. They supposedly did an "official investigation" but despite all the written documentation I provided through emails and lync conversations, nothing came from it. They left it to the higher manager to determine what to do and he decided to change nothing. They would not allow me to work with anyone instead of or in addition to who I already work with therefore giving me no chance to get feedback from anyone else. The manager and HR met with me and only provided a written list of personal character attacks on me. When I begged to please read my documentation the only response I received was a criticism of my meeting note format (which by the way was the company template). I was told that taking meeting notes makes it appear as if I am trying to prepare a case against them....maybe I should. So be productive but don't ask for work, repeat tasking to ensure you are on the same page with your manager but don't take notes. And do not dare report anything to anyone about one of the loyal employees in the click. Everyone I know working on this contract has left the office at least twice in tears. I attempted to just clarify a company policy that was told to us by HR during orientation which my supervisor stated differently when I attempted to use the policy and was criticized for not respecting my supervisor and trusting their instruction. However, turns out my supervisor was wrong and my clarification allowed me to be able to take leave I otherwise would not have been able to. But I have been directed that going forward I am expected to blindly follow my supervisors instruction ... no thinking for yourself or discussion allowed here. This click runs the show and no one dares to question them or go against them ... not any employee, not HR, not even the President.

I was told that I did not quality for a position and therefore accepted a lower salary for supposedly a lower position. However, when I got here I was given the position that I did not quality for and more to do. When I questioned this being a lower position, I was told that it was never intended to be a lower position. I am supposedly in this position temporarily because of an audit in my permanent department but when the audit was over and there was an opening I requested to move into the position and was told how dare you ask to be moved into another position when you haven't even succeeded in the one you have.

Company profit is on a steady decline for the last two years and they are finding it difficult to win new work.

Get rid of your VP because being a good manager and financially beneficial for the company does not make you a good leader. The entire team is unhappy, frustrated, and ready to leave. Morale will increase, employees will stay, and costs will decrease.

A Relatives Company - No scope to grow

I have been working at REI Systems full-time

Pros

Bagel Friday
    Technical Folks who are great.

Cons

Most of the positions are for relatives who know each other. After office activity is a must to be in the good books of the manager. You need not be talented to be promoted to a manger level. Just be a relative and you are automatically promoted. Most of them are highly undesirable. They make you sweat for all wrong reasons. There is no proper communication and clarity in any role. Everyday you need to compete with others (with mangers) to prove you are worth of something. There is most of the times a hostile environment that drives everyone nuts.

There is no appreciation of work. No chance to grow and there is absolutely no way to suggest something that everyone agrees. Multiple line of managers who are fit for nothing. Save yourself from working here.

There is no point to write anything about management. They listen to only relatives.

Flexible timings and friendly people

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sterling, VA

I have been working at REI Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Timings are flexible and nice place to work

Cons

Work is not balanced well. Some times work gets too hectic and some times too less.

Please have more meetings with team member if not one on one to clearly state the future.

Try hard to be a place people want to work

Current Employee - Program Manager
    Current Employee - Program Manager

I have been working at REI Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun activities from ping pong championships, to biking clubs, toastmasters and PMI meetings, robot group, and the company gives back by honoring charities embraced by employees. Such a variety. Lots of brown bags and internal training too.

Cons

Struggle with being responsive internally. Really depends on your project and supervisor if work is chaotic or not. Lots of decisions are made based on relationships and not solving the real issue.

Be personable. Reach out to people. Answer e-mails...be the manager that you want your managers to be.

Best Job I've Ever Had

I have been working at REI Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My manager and even upper management have made me feel that my work is appreciated, that I have contributed to the well-being of the company and the various projects I've worked on. Sr. management even seems to listen to employee feedback and then do something about it, like overhauling our benefits package this year. People ask me if I'm doing the kind of work I want to do. I've never experienced that before.

Cons

Too many people who struggle with the English language. While they are more than competent technically, they very often have a difficult time making themselves understood by the customer or even teammates. Too many managers have a "never-say-no-to-the-customer" approach that makes for outrageous requirements and not enough time or money to meet them.

Encourage project managers to manage their customers' expectations and stay on top of scope creep.