REI Systems Reviews

Reset
4.0
REI Systems President & CEO Veer Bhartiya
Veer Bhartiya

Pros
  • Flexible hours, nice working environment (in 7 reviews)

• If u stay a long time and if they like you the benefits are good (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of core working hours, so that folks can plan their daily activities better (in 6 reviews)

• After all this hard work also, do not expect recognition unless you have out of office friendship with managers (in 4 reviews)

Proud to Work at REI Systems!

I have been working at REI Systems

Pros

I've been an employee at REI for 8 years and I'm very proud to say this. No company is perfect but REI really goes the distance to make employees happy. Winning one of the Top Workplaces award really exemplifies this. It was the employees who provided the nominations so that tells you that the majority of the staff enjoy working here. My assumption is that many of the negative remarks posted here are by employees who were asked to leave REI because they were poor performers and also it looks like a small number of these employees are putting up multiple posts to drive REI's rating down.

Cons

Some managers could benefit from soft skills training so they can better relate to their employees. The 360 review process and the hiring of a professional/personal coach is helping to address this need.

Advice to Management

Continue to make investments in our employees. We have come a long way in the last 2 years and it really shows. Please keep this positive momentum going!

My positon at REI keeps Beautifully Unfolding

I have been working at REI Systems

Pros

nice offices, open mindset of my boss, willingness to experiment and try new things, earnest co-workers

Cons

Sometimes the owners/leaders of the company are only 90% willing to walk the walk

Advice to Management

Enforce accountability in small ways. Yes, modeling it is important, yet there are times when some small unilateral rules are needed

Amazing Workplace (so happy that we finally got the recognition in top work places)

Current Employee - Manager in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Sterling, VA

I have been working at REI Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hard working people, great benefits, awesome teams/culture The founder of the company has hired a fulltime people coach to give support to the employees...seriously who does that? This is how much the management cares about their employees Well deserved recognition for being ranked number 11!!!

Cons

Some managers are micro managers - but last year has been all about improvement in this area

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing - listening to all your emlpoyees

5. REI Systems needs work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA

I have been working at REI Systems (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong organization and well qualified workers.

Cons

No African American promotions, poor work culture and work hours too long and with little reward

Advice to Management

Find qualified African Americans....they can do the job just as well.

program manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA

I have been working at REI Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1) talented, gracious, hard-working people who are collaborative, helpful, committed, and smart 2) committed, carling leaders who listen and take action to address feedback 3) competitive pay and benefits (pay equal or more than similar firms in this market) 4) 40 hours of professional development (lots of onsite training, opportunities to get MANY tech and business certifications -- such as Agile and PMP 5) full-time professional development coach (offers 1-1 coaching and group coaching programs) 6) good work / life balance and employee trust -- employees arrive when we want and go home when we're done. the building empties out (except for a small handful) after 6 pm). 6) lots of extras (nice offices! -- lots of windows & skylights and nice seating areas, active clubs, onsite sports and games, fun tech team competitions, social & cultural activities, spring egg hunt, Halloween party, winter holiday party, opportunities to thank each other with valentines, candy-grams, employee appreciations and awards, and more)

Cons

I've worked at a lot of really tough places -- big consulting firms -- with 14-hour days as a norm and expectations that I would work every night after dinner, so I can't think of any cons here, other than what I mentioned in advice to management.

Advice to Management

1) Tech professionals must continue to focus more on social / soft skills 3) Consider acquisition strategies (to buy into certain domains, client agencies, and capabilities / technologies)

REI Systems, Inc. - Not perfect, but always working on getting better.

I have been working at REI Systems

Pros

Most days, I love working at REI. Co-workers are very friendly and eager to help. My two bosses have been very supportive and easy to talk to. They are interested in giving me work that I enjoy, not just whatever is in the top of their inboxes. They are very accommodating when I have personal issues that affect my work schedule. The pay is good and the benefits are generous by today's "lean and mean" standards.

Cons

Most of the people who work at REI come from places where English is not the first language, or where the English they speak is not standard British or American English. This causes communication problems, not just with customers, but with co-workers. It can be very frustrating. In addition, some - but not all - of the foreign-born supervisors have a very different attitude toward the supervisor/staff relationship than what I am used to. This can also be a source of frustration.

Advice to Management

Do more to ensure that project managers aren't shooting themselves in the foot by burning out their "star players." I think the change in approach discussed in the Town Halls and All-Hands meeting is great. Everyone was happy to hear that REI will be building a little more cushion into contracts and developing a talent "bench" so that the best people aren't overworked right out the door. Ask your managers how they plan to comply with these new requirements.

Great people, great intentions.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA

I have been working at REI Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

REI Systems is dedicated to providing the best customer experience above all else. We are passionate about the work we do and want to do it the best way we know how. The people are amazing. I have not experienced malicious office politics here like I have at other companies and in other work environments. Senior Management is committed to improving employee morale - employee surveys, manager 360 reviews, lunch with executives, town hall meetings, anonymous texts for collecting feedback are all tools that have been implemented to measure satisfaction and make changes.

Cons

There is often last minute scrambling to get work done on time. Due to our desire to meet customer expectations, we often fail to nail down requirements until right before deployment. Sometimes this causes lots of re-work and frustrations. The quality of the product often suffers due to constant changes.

Advice to Management

Hold managers accountable for last minute work overload or failure to maintain standards. Communication of big picture plans and discussions with team members needs to happen daily. People should not feel left in the dark about why decisions are made and how they will be affected.

All-American sweatshop! Minus the Americans.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I worked at REI Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good digs, good work computer. I had enough time to pick up lunch at the gas station nearby and eat at my desk.

Cons

Above is the best I could do on good things. The employees are seen as tools, not people. I know this because I climbed the ladder quickly and got to hear the management discussions about their underlings. It's not good. I would never treat people the way they do by default. I was working 13 hour days minimum, and I only tolerated it because I don't have dependents of my own. Please, do me a favor and don't ever entertain the idea of working at REI. You can thank me over a beer sometime.

Advice to Management

No advice, you're the problem. Just sell the company and move on.

An IT sweatshop

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Herndon, VA

I worked at REI Systems

Pros

There were a few people with really good technical talent that I had a pleasure of working with.

Cons

Incompetent and abusive managers. Very poor work life balance. Managers set a very high standard for their employees which is in a way kind of good. The problem is they don't set the same level of standard for themselves. They blame their subordinates for their own abysmal project plan and execution.

Advice to Management

Be careful whom you choose for management roles. Just having a good personal relationship with a person should not be the reason to promote him or her to management position. If you genuinely care about the long term good of your company, make a little more effort in finding the right talent instead of settling for a mediocre person that you are comfortable working with.

You work really hard and don't get much in terms of pay

Former Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in Herndon, VA
    Former Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in Herndon, VA

I worked at REI Systems as a contractor

Pros

The community was awesome. You are working long hours with people and really getting to know them. Most people are really nice, but some times there are blow ups due to the stress. The work was really interesting and challenging though.

Cons

They work you round the clock. My phone never stopped ringing. I would be at work till 2am in the morning then have a manager call me at 10am asking me why I am not at work. They have completely unrealistic expectations of their employees in terms of hours. I couldn't even imagine being a salary employee there.

Advice to Management

Bump up the pay and bump down the hours.

RSS Feed </> Embed