REI Systems

Updated December 17, 2014
2.8

REI Systems President & CEO Veer Bhartiya
Veer Bhartiya

Pros
  • Flexible hours, nice working environment (in 7 reviews)

• If u stay a long time and if they like you the benefits are good (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of core working hours, so that folks can plan their daily activities better (in 6 reviews)

• After all this hard work also, do not expect recognition unless you have out of office friendship with managers (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

46 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

You work really hard and don't get much in terms of pay

I worked at REI Systems as a contractor

Pros

The community was awesome. You are working long hours with people and really getting to know them. Most people are really nice, but some times there are blow ups due to the stress. The work was really interesting and challenging though.

Cons

They work you round the clock. My phone never stopped ringing. I would be at work till 2am in the morning then have a manager call me at 10am asking me why I am not at work. They have completely unrealistic expectations of their employees in terms of hours. I couldn't even imagine being a salary employee there.

Bump up the pay and bump down the hours.

An IT sweatshop

I worked at REI Systems

Pros

There were a few people with really good technical talent that I had a pleasure of working with.

Cons

Incompetent and abusive managers. Very poor work life balance. Managers set a very high standard for their employees which is in a way kind of good. The problem is they don't set the same level of standard for themselves. They blame their subordinates for their own abysmal project plan and execution.

Be careful whom you choose for management roles. Just having a good personal relationship with a person should not be the reason to promote him or her to management position. If you genuinely care about the long term good of your company, make a little more effort in finding the right talent instead of settling for a mediocre person that you are comfortable working with.

Software Engineer

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Sterling, VA

I worked at REI Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some people are good to work with. If u stay a long time and if they like you the benefits are good. Office place is good. Gives 40 hours yearly for professional development. Ping pong tables and bagel fridays

Cons

Long working hours, harsh deadlines, dependent on federal contracts(End of contract means end of the department and so the job). Limited options to grow. Base salary is very low compared to industry standard in the area. Need to become a favorite of some manager to grow else will be pushed around. Good work is done in only in one or two teams. Other teams are forced to use the company's version of tools which leads to very limited technological growth for most employees. Repetitive work.

Treat employees better. Should start hiring american managers to improve work culture. Stop attrition.

Great Place to work !!!!

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sterling, VA

I worked at REI Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Open door policy for every one.
    Free friday bagel

Cons

Same type of work.

No work from home policy.

Need to adapt new technology.

I have seen some manager, who takes thing personally and rather than be professional they taking personally.

I actually like working here!

Current Employee - Business Project Coordinator in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Business Project Coordinator in Sterling, VA

I have been working at REI Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

REI systems actually listens to employees (Has multiple meetings per year with all employees like the recent Town hall, all hands meeting, and encourages feedback thru Yaller - a social collaboration tool). Based on past feedback, many positive changes have taken place.
    People here actually do care. Yes there are a couple of odd ones, but which company does not?? Last year;s 360 reviews and a 'management development program' were good steps. I am seeing a positive trend.
    Don't go by every feedback you read here. This company has a strong and good culture.

Cons

Yes - there are some bad apples. which place doesn't? Yes -the business development has slowed down, but that is this whole area (remember sequestration and its effects?) Calm down folks - the economy is reviving.

Look at those bad apples and take action. Good job so far..

Love my new job at REI!!!

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Sterling, VA

I have been working at REI Systems full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Talented, creative and smart folks
    - My earlier company did not have a "professional development" plan; so I am getting used to the 40 hours of professional development offered to by REI to all of their employees; kind of like what Google does for its employees
    - The company has a heritage ..This was evident during the week long activities planned for celebrating REI's 25th anniversary
    - There are some really good ping pong players...We recently concluded a ping pong tournament
    and Friday bagels :-)

Cons

- I know projects are doing this in their own environment, but it would be nice to have a research lab, where latest technologies can be tried out...

thanks and please keep up the good work!!!

Stay away !!!

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Herndon, VA

I worked at REI Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friends , Happy feet club, Toast masters club, benefits

Cons

Resource managers here donot know how to manage people.
    You will never be treated with respect. You will be yelling, name calling, politics .

Long work hours due to poor planning .

You need to train your Resource managers with basic 101 on people management and resource planning.

REI invests in employees

Current Employee - Associate Software Architect in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Associate Software Architect in Sterling, VA

I have been working at REI Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I was so excited when I got the MS COE pioneer plaque and dell tablet. I was already happy and satisfied with all the opportunities that REI provides for us to improve our technical skills - MSDN accounts, powerful laptops, plural sight account, trainings and 1 week of professional development hours.

I wanted to personally thank you senior mgmt for making all this happen. I get to work with other govt contracting companies as a sub contract. From what I have seen, REI is an amazing place to work.

Cons

Need to win more projects to sustain

bid and win more projects

Flexible timings and friendly people

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sterling, VA

I have been working at REI Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Timings are flexible and nice place to work

Cons

Work is not balanced well. Some times work gets too hectic and some times too less.

Please have more meetings with team member if not one on one to clearly state the future.

BEWARE!!!! Frustratingly indecisive and incapable senior and mid-level leadership - Their words don't mean anything

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Sterling, VA

I have been working at REI Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great place for incapable people dumped in the market by Booz Allen and ICF. The club of losers has survived under the leadership of COO while the capable hires remain in flux. The COO tries very hard to retain people who believe the COO is always right. That's because he himself has survived that way under the CIO who is another leader whose words of commitment don't mean much. They are just bunch of workers who accidentally fell into leadership position. They admit it themselves in their leadership meetings that they never expected to grow to 300+ employee company. People who believe that the senior leadership cares for them are either naive or not exposed to the discussions at the leadership level, or probably have not worked for better American corporations ever. Senior leadership is busy warming up their chairs in their respective offices while rest of the staff suffers while awaiting their permanent residency (Green Card). Retained employees who are in desperate need for Green Card are mistaken for staff retention. This is how the senior leadership is good at spinning facts based on their own convenience. They are yet to figure out if they are fooling the employees or fooling themselves.

Cons

1. Absolutely incapable crass leadership from CEO to Project Managers
    2. Rest of the employees are equally bad (birds of same feather flocked together); They cannot hire any better. If accidentally they do, they either cannot retain those employees or harass the employee to death. So they leave
    3. Don't get bought into their sales pitch about them being innovators; their innovation trails behind by 20 years
    4. They do not appreciate the skills and experience of new hires until you prove your "loyalty" to them by either falling on their feet (Indian tradition) during company events or by being a "Yes" man
    5. Account Managers and Program Managers are worse than the project managers in terms of skills; so please do not expect the Project Managers to perform any better
    6. Don't make a mistake of, or rather dare to, escalate performance issues of employees who have been in the company for long and belong to the "LOYAL" class. You will be lynched and abandoned as outcast
    7. The senior leadership believes they are good at technology. Their self image smacks of arrogance and ignorance at the same time
    8. They survive on cheap commodity work - nothing wrong with that. There's work for all kinds of companies in Federal Government. But don't claim what you are not a.k.a. a large company bringing innovation to the Government
    9. Senior management makes false commitments to new hires during the time of interview and conveniently forgets later
    10. Human Resource Team is absolutely inept and incapable. They have no spine to stand up against abuses and unethical practices in this company. Human Resources get overridden by all powerful slaves of the COO and the CIO.

1. It's high time the CIO shed his artificial skin and stop pretending; his true colors are very different than what he appears to be in public
    2. The COO has to stop pretending as a leader -- all his dog and pony show of "Built to Last" and "Good to Great" are just a foolish attempt; stop overselling and lying about your accomplishments; some of your employees and people outside are not fools. They can see the truth.
    3. If you really care about employee retention and hiring good employees to do better as a respectable organization, ask your absolutely crass breed of home grown Account Managers, Program Managers, and other leaders/managers to just sit aside and learn from fresh breed of leaders from outside. The home grown breed just do not have the skills to match up to the competition. Buying books from Amazon and preaching from few pages of the book will not turn them around as leaders. All they have is arrogance and ability to make a fool of themselves
    4. Else just admit that you want to continue with your incapable team and continue to exist the way you are; don't spin the facts to yourself that you get published in magazine and accept it as rosy reality. Everyone knows how the published facts are derived.
    4. Turn around your discriminatory environment to treat people who don't worship the CIO/COO or act like their slave or spook, with some respect. They have better talent in them than your slaves or "LOYAL" employees. The employees are submissive as slaves for a reason -- they cannot survive any other way
    5. WATCH OUT!!!! All your young talent is about to leave in hoards if you continue with your crass leadership team