REI Systems

Updated February 26, 2015
3.5

REI Systems President & CEO Veer Bhartiya
Veer Bhartiya

Pros
  • Flexible hours, nice working environment (in 7 reviews)

• If u stay a long time and if they like you the benefits are good (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of core working hours, so that folks can plan their daily activities better (in 6 reviews)

• After all this hard work also, do not expect recognition unless you have out of office friendship with managers (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

48 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Great people, great intentions.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA

I have been working at REI Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

REI Systems is dedicated to providing the best customer experience above all else. We are passionate about the work we do and want to do it the best way we know how.

The people are amazing. I have not experienced malicious office politics here like I have at other companies and in other work environments.

Senior Management is committed to improving employee morale - employee surveys, manager 360 reviews, lunch with executives, town hall meetings, anonymous texts for collecting feedback are all tools that have been implemented to measure satisfaction and make changes.

Cons

There is often last minute scrambling to get work done on time. Due to our desire to meet customer expectations, we often fail to nail down requirements until right before deployment. Sometimes this causes lots of re-work and frustrations.

The quality of the product often suffers due to constant changes.

Hold managers accountable for last minute work overload or failure to maintain standards.

Communication of big picture plans and discussions with team members needs to happen daily. People should not feel left in the dark about why decisions are made and how they will be affected.

All-American sweatshop! Minus the Americans.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I worked at REI Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good digs, good work computer. I had enough time to pick up lunch at the gas station nearby and eat at my desk.

Cons

Above is the best I could do on good things. The employees are seen as tools, not people. I know this because I climbed the ladder quickly and got to hear the management discussions about their underlings. It's not good. I would never treat people the way they do by default.

I was working 13 hour days minimum, and I only tolerated it because I don't have dependents of my own. Please, do me a favor and don't ever entertain the idea of working at REI. You can thank me over a beer sometime.

No advice, you're the problem. Just sell the company and move on.

An IT sweatshop

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Herndon, VA

I worked at REI Systems

Pros

There were a few people with really good technical talent that I had a pleasure of working with.

Cons

Incompetent and abusive managers. Very poor work life balance. Managers set a very high standard for their employees which is in a way kind of good. The problem is they don't set the same level of standard for themselves. They blame their subordinates for their own abysmal project plan and execution.

Be careful whom you choose for management roles. Just having a good personal relationship with a person should not be the reason to promote him or her to management position. If you genuinely care about the long term good of your company, make a little more effort in finding the right talent instead of settling for a mediocre person that you are comfortable working with.

You work really hard and don't get much in terms of pay

Former Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in Herndon, VA
    Former Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in Herndon, VA

I worked at REI Systems as a contractor

Pros

The community was awesome. You are working long hours with people and really getting to know them. Most people are really nice, but some times there are blow ups due to the stress. The work was really interesting and challenging though.

Cons

They work you round the clock. My phone never stopped ringing. I would be at work till 2am in the morning then have a manager call me at 10am asking me why I am not at work. They have completely unrealistic expectations of their employees in terms of hours. I couldn't even imagine being a salary employee there.

Bump up the pay and bump down the hours.

Great Place to work !!!!

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sterling, VA

I worked at REI Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Open door policy for every one.
    Free friday bagel

Cons

Same type of work.

No work from home policy.

Need to adapt new technology.

I have seen some manager, who takes thing personally and rather than be professional they taking personally.

Software Engineer

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Sterling, VA

I worked at REI Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some people are good to work with. If u stay a long time and if they like you the benefits are good. Office place is good. Gives 40 hours yearly for professional development. Ping pong tables and bagel fridays

Cons

Long working hours, harsh deadlines, dependent on federal contracts(End of contract means end of the department and so the job). Limited options to grow. Base salary is very low compared to industry standard in the area. Need to become a favorite of some manager to grow else will be pushed around. Good work is done in only in one or two teams. Other teams are forced to use the company's version of tools which leads to very limited technological growth for most employees. Repetitive work.

Treat employees better. Should start hiring american managers to improve work culture. Stop attrition.

I actually like working here!

Current Employee - Business Project Coordinator in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Business Project Coordinator in Sterling, VA

I have been working at REI Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

REI systems actually listens to employees (Has multiple meetings per year with all employees like the recent Town hall, all hands meeting, and encourages feedback thru Yaller - a social collaboration tool). Based on past feedback, many positive changes have taken place.
    People here actually do care. Yes there are a couple of odd ones, but which company does not?? Last year;s 360 reviews and a 'management development program' were good steps. I am seeing a positive trend.
    Don't go by every feedback you read here. This company has a strong and good culture.

Cons

Yes - there are some bad apples. which place doesn't? Yes -the business development has slowed down, but that is this whole area (remember sequestration and its effects?) Calm down folks - the economy is reviving.

Look at those bad apples and take action. Good job so far..

Stay away !!!

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Herndon, VA

I worked at REI Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friends , Happy feet club, Toast masters club, benefits

Cons

Resource managers here donot know how to manage people.
    You will never be treated with respect. You will be yelling, name calling, politics .

Long work hours due to poor planning .

You need to train your Resource managers with basic 101 on people management and resource planning.

Love my new job at REI!!!

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Sterling, VA

I have been working at REI Systems full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Talented, creative and smart folks
    - My earlier company did not have a "professional development" plan; so I am getting used to the 40 hours of professional development offered to by REI to all of their employees; kind of like what Google does for its employees
    - The company has a heritage ..This was evident during the week long activities planned for celebrating REI's 25th anniversary
    - There are some really good ping pong players...We recently concluded a ping pong tournament
    and Friday bagels :-)

Cons

- I know projects are doing this in their own environment, but it would be nice to have a research lab, where latest technologies can be tried out...

thanks and please keep up the good work!!!

REI invests in employees

Current Employee - Associate Software Architect in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Associate Software Architect in Sterling, VA

I have been working at REI Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I was so excited when I got the MS COE pioneer plaque and dell tablet. I was already happy and satisfied with all the opportunities that REI provides for us to improve our technical skills - MSDN accounts, powerful laptops, plural sight account, trainings and 1 week of professional development hours.

I wanted to personally thank you senior mgmt for making all this happen. I get to work with other govt contracting companies as a sub contract. From what I have seen, REI is an amazing place to work.

Cons

Need to win more projects to sustain

bid and win more projects