REIT Management and Research

2.3

Adam D. Portnoy

Great company!!

I have been working at REIT Management and Research

Pros

A pleasant, supportive work environment with realistic expectations of productivity. Competitive benefits.

Cons

No cons experienced to date.

Keep supporting and encouraging your staff.

Company is down sizing significantly.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at REIT Management and Research full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

RMR has good benefits, and good pay scale. Corporate giving policy is nice. Consistent salary increases and annual bonus.

Cons

San Diego office has horrible corporate culture. No team building or employee functions. Tense environment. Have had serious turn over in the last 2 years. Last person hired said she wished someone had warned her.

Lay off on the insurance certificate procedures - way beyond what anyone else in the industry is doing and unnecessary. You do exit interviews for a reason, consider action (training, reprimands) when they consistently indicate employee unhappiness and other serious issues that are occuring.

Big opportunity, no confidence they will do what it takes to realize it

Current Employee - Director  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at REIT Management and Research full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits. Some recent hires seem good, but I doubt they will last. Trying to pick themselves back up.

Cons

No culture. Poor leadership. Reactionary on just about everything. No trust in employees to do the job they were hired to do. No accountability for results or behavior.

Start planning for the future and hold leadership accountable for the plan. Too much focus on the day to day.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Promising start, dreadful end...

Former Employee - Accountant  in  Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Accountant in Newton, MA

I worked at REIT Management and Research full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Compensation and benefits were great, most of my colleagues (especially those out in the field) were excellent people who were willing to help and work hard. My first direct supervisor, who later moved on to a new position in the company, was a great guy who was always encouraging and willing to help.

Cons

Management can be very "clique-y" and cold, absolutely no culture to speak of, lots of unrest over the board being replaced (due to borderline unethical structure of management fee calculation and collection), which then cascaded downward. Things really started going down hill for me when my first direct supervisor had been promoted to a new position and my second direct supervisor took over...

This was a man who was simply not management material in the least (had been promoted after working the same job for 15 years, guess they kind of had to at that point), an odd guy who would pretty much just grunt at you if you said "Hi" and took no responsibility for helping me through a rough patch that in a small way, he helped create.

Felt as if myself and others were run out of the company with constant negativity, over-exaggeration and outright lies regarding whatever faults we had as an employee in reviews. After the first few panic attacks I suffered while pulling into the garage, knowing that I'd have to deal with that BS all day, I had finally had it. I later came to find out that many others had left too in the next few months. After moving on, I can say that we all made the right decision.

A little positivity never killed anyone, have some respect for your employees and what they may be going through, don't promote your buddies or those that have been there forever without exhibiting any management skills, provide the field with more support and less red tape to cut through. Best of luck to the new board, hopefully they can weed out the BS at REIT.

IT

I have been working at REIT Management and Research full-time

Pros

The compensation and benefits are at par with market but not so much so that they are worth it. I really don't have anything else positive to say about this company

Cons

IT senior management that is only focused on themselves. The IT department is not aligned with the companies it supports. Departments are very siloed with little to no communication from senior leadership on the long-term strategy or direction of the company making for a very disjointed organization. Within IT individual contributors are stretched way too thin! There is also very little room for growth and very little time/effort put towards that in general.

They got too greedy

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

Pros

Good compensation; good benefits; enjoyed working with 95% of my colleagues...

Cons

No appreciation for employees. Regardless of the compensation, it would be nice to hear that you're doing a good job once in a while.

Because of the flawed/unethical and greedy business plan, the company hides under the radar and doesn't encourage participation in industry events. When you're ready to leave your job you find out that no one else has heard of the company even though it has billions of assets under management.

No respect for the field offices, which are treated as chattel.

Incompetent accounting department that is always in crisis mode.

The legal department is always on the rampage looking for heads to roll.

Stop being intoxicated by what the investment bankers spew to you. Manage your real estate assets like you actually own them.

Management Machine burns through staff

Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator Lvl II  in  Watertown, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator Lvl II in Watertown, MA

I worked at REIT Management and Research full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's pretty sad that everyone agrees that the bagels were the only good thing... should be a advert for Panera. The base pay was fairly competitive.

Cons

Work life balance was the worst. 80 hour work weeks are the norm.
    No room for promotion unless you are current management.

I watched some of the most talented people I know get churned and burned by the Portnoy machine. Management always stressed how much they care, but hosnestly, talk is cheap. Stop taking shortcuts to show employee appreciation. If you focus on your people more, you might free up time, workload, and of course revenue that you are wasting on searching for new hires. P.S. Job fairs aren't going to bring in the caliber of talent that the company is hemorrhaging.

One of the best ways to show appreciation is to hire from within. Management pigeonholes you and never moves people up. I never once saw a promotion from within that wasn't a management move. (I.E. management only takes care of itself!)

Horrible, horrible company

I worked at REIT Management and Research full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Bagel day each Friday for the staff . Newer offices with locker room/showers if you want to exercise before or after work. Garage parking. Their checks cleared each payday.

Cons

Miserable work environment. Overworked middle level employees and support staff. Unreasonable amount of work, and senior management takes all the credit, glory and the bonuses for it and also play the blame game incessantly. Seemingly underhanded & shady dealings with employee relations. Many staff members were sabotaged, driven out or fired because management just doesn't want them there. The culture is like everything you hated in middle school. What a pit of despair.

What goes around comes around. And it looks like from recent news stories in the press, it's coming around...

Chaotic, Disorganized Workplace with Little Employee Appreciation

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I have been working at REIT Management and Research full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Health Plan coverage
    - Annual bonuses are respectable
    - Free bagels on Fridays

Cons

Departmental and senior management invest little time/effort in developing and teaching employees. Management at all levels thinks very highly of themselves and only delegates tasks providing little direction on what is required. Management does not see the value in listening to employee feedback about process and quality improvement resulting in poor operational and reporting performance. Employees are expected to think inside-the-box and be "yes men". Communication between departments and from the top down is infrequent at best, and each department operates independent of each other, finger pointing is rampant. There are almost no formal policies in place, which is surprising for a large, national company and scheduling day to day and week to week is unpredictable. Projects are assigned from multiple superiors without thought or planning and are expected to be completed simultaneously and immediately. Appreciation is non-existent and morale only declines. There is zero workplace culture or social cohesiveness.

- Listen to employee feedback
    - Demonstrate appreciation for employees
    - Invest in infrastructure: internal and external employees, processes and systems, technology.

Gained a lot of experience but no opportunity to move up

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Watertown, MA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Watertown, MA

I worked at REIT Management and Research full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits and opportunity for overtime

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity for career advancement

Promote within

Worked for REIT Management and Research? Contribute to the Community!