REIT Management and Research

Updated Apr 17, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Adam D. Portnoy

Gained a lot of experience but no opportunity to move up

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at REIT Management and Research full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat benefits and opportunity for overtime

ConsNot a lot of opportunity for career advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote within

Chaotic, Disorganized Workplace with Little Employee Appreciation

Newton, MA

I have been working at REIT Management and Research full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- Health Plan coverage
- Annual bonuses are respectable
- Free bagels on Fridays

ConsDepartmental and senior management invest little time/effort in developing and teaching employees. Management at all levels thinks very highly of themselves and only delegates tasks providing little direction on what is required. Management does not see the value in listening to employee feedback about process and quality improvement resulting in poor operational and reporting performance. Employees are expected to think inside-the-box and be "yes men". Communication between departments and from the top down is infrequent at best, and each department operates independent of each other, finger pointing is rampant. There are almost no formal policies in place, which is surprising for a large, national company and scheduling day to day and week to week is unpredictable. Projects are assigned from multiple superiors without thought or planning and are expected to be completed simultaneously and immediately. Appreciation is non-existent and morale only declines. There is zero workplace culture or social cohesiveness.

Advice to Senior Management- Listen to employee feedback
- Demonstrate appreciation for employees
- Invest in infrastructure: internal and external employees, processes and systems, technology.

Very small IT group

Network Operations (Former Employee)

I worked at REIT Management and Research as an intern for less than a year

ProsSome very good good people to work with. All the staff was knowledgeable and helpful.

ConsNot the best way to develop your skill set as they do not indulge in the latest technologies.

Trying to do things right

Shared Services Group (Current Employee)
Newton, MA

ProsEntrepreneurial, growth oriented, opportunities abound. Employees just need to tap into this and try not to be overwhelmed by volume.

Consdecision making can be slow

Advice to Senior Managementallow and encourage managers to make decisions within their areas of expertise

AWFUL!!! DO NOT WORK AT REIT MGMT & RESEARCH!!!

Help Desk Technician (Former Employee)

I worked at REIT Management and Research full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThere really isn't any other than Bagels on Fridays....

ConsRMR doesn't care about their employees. If you take one day of LTD, its their company policy to let people go.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to clean shop and start with new staff. You need to work on the morale of your employees.

Have no sympathy for their employees

I have been working at REIT Management and Research full-time

ProsFree bagel Friday, good bonuses

ConsNo recognition, no culture, they only want the work done

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your employees' needs and concerns

Company does not value its employees

I worked at REIT Management and Research full-time

ProsI cant think of any at the moment. There has been a shift in their mind set on the value of their employees

ConsLong hours with no recognition. If you do put in 110 percent or more into your job its just expected that that is part of your job. They will expect it all the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to start seriously looking at the talent they have lost and are going to lose because they do not value them. When you feel there is no room for advancement its time to move on and they very rarely promote from within

Good experience but you are on your own

I worked at REIT Management and Research full-time for more than 3 years

Prosdecent salary, growing portfolio of businesses to get involved in, stable company.

Consdoes not invest in employees, poor work/life balance, and no culture.

Poor Management Leadership

I have been working at REIT Management and Research full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat benefit package; health care and time off. Majority of the team are players and want to exceed, into other positions.

ConsUpper management in corporate office does not want to be bothered with complaints, they pass the buck to others. On site management is lacking leadership skills, with absolutely no direction to the employees duties. The employees are frustrated to due to no support and miss communication. The saying of CYA is known throughout all departments. Promotions from within are few and far between. Management would rather look outside to fill positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate management must give support to all employees, especially the little people. It will not hurt you to listen and take immediate action now. All rules and protocols should be for all employees, including management. Shame on you for allowing this to happen. If you had more consistency throughout, constant turnovers would be far and few between.

Disappointing Experience

I worked at REIT Management and Research full-time

ProsDecent salary.

Smart coworkers.

Immediate manager was decent, but hands were tied by upper management.

Learned a lot of “what not to do”.

ConsIT Culture is one of an operational nature (keep the lights on) and not one of strategic nature. The future plans are to maintain the status quo.

There are no career paths defined and little to no growth. If you are hired in as one position, plan to stay in that job without the opportunity for advancement.

If you complain, plan to be singled out. Managers are just that, managers, managing to get by. They are not leaders and have no plans to help employees improve themselves.

There tends to be a lot of blame-storming and finger-pointing, with a strong sense of passive aggressive behavior from the senior development staff, which makes for a hostile work environment.

They will work you until you are burnt out if you let them, and if you don’t let them, you will not be considered a team player.

There is no resource planning or formal project prioritization. It’s not unusual for Project Managers to have upwards of 8 projects at once, and resources to be spread across many projects making it impossible to have any solid quality in the outcome.

I had such high hopes for this place when I accepted the job. Hindsight being 20-20, I would have stayed with my previous employer.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees.

Plan out strategic goals, employ realistic resource management, and prioritize projects.

Have career paths for those that wish to advance.

Treat employees with respect and show some appreciation for hard work.

Worked for REIT Management and Research? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at REIT Management and Research reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for REIT Management and Research CEO Adam D. Portnoy . All 23 reviews posted anonymously by REIT Management and Research employees.