REMEC Defense and Space

Great high-tech employer.

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer II in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer II in San Diego, CA

I have been working at REMEC Defense and Space

Pros

Excellent level of job security. Satisfaction of working on defense-related projects. Senior engineering staff is extremely knowledgeable and approachable. Electrical engineers are considered "responsible engineers" and are ultimately in charge of all aspects of the project - this has its drawbacks but I like the level of personal responsibility and the amount of ownership you have for your projects. Also, the stuff we do is pretty cutting-edge as far as design complexity and performance.

Cons

Benefits package is okay, but not excellent as compared to similar high-tech companies in the industry. Total compensation package is a little bit lower than similar companies when you include lack of bonuses and stock options. Projects are cyclical and at times you can end up working up to 60 hours a week. Average is probably around 50 hours a week. Also, many companies in the industry have adopted a 9/80 work week (every other Friday off) but we don't have that.

Implement a system of bonuses.

good

Former Employee - Electronic Technician in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Electronic Technician in San Diego, CA

I worked at REMEC Defense and Space full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Performed the set-up, calibration, testing, troubleshooting, and repair of circuits, components,
    and instruments. Determined and developed test specification, methods and procedures from blueprints, drawings and diagrams. Experience testing I

Cons

sorry I do not know this side of company remed defence. even work more than seven years.that I do not how to say.

keep do good job

A rollercoaster with good and bad at each turn.

Current Employee - RF Technician II in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - RF Technician II in San Diego, CA

I have been working at REMEC Defense and Space

Pros

Government work that seems stable at times but can change with legislation.

Cons

Very political. Difficult to move up if you don't rub shoulders with the right people.

Probably not the best idea to keep hacking away at employee benefits and perks.

Current Employee - Program Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at REMEC Defense and Space

Pros

Easy place to hide and do nothing and still get paid. This seems to work for most people here. Management is unaware of the stuff that "doesn't" go on here. More time is spent taking smoking breaks than actually working programs

Cons

Sweat shop! All they care about is production profits and getting product out the door. PM'S are scape goats for all problems. Serious issue of lack of resources and prioritizing effort. They do little to no resoure planning. Would not recommend this place to any PM looking for a job.

Wake up and smell the coffee. The old "pound the fist on the table" management style is out dated. You ahve good people. Get some good management and focus on doing the job right. This company needs a shack up!

Challenging daily work

Current Employee - MMIC Design Engineer
    Current Employee - MMIC Design Engineer

I have been working at REMEC Defense and Space

Pros

Interesting Microwave design challenging on LNAs and GPS systems

Cons

Not enought job opportunities to retain employees