REVOLUTION FOODS Reviews

3.2
CEO

1. Start up with an amazing mission that works really hard to accomplish

I have been working at REVOLUTION FOODS full-time

Pros

Great staff that our mission driven who go above and beyond for their customers
    A chance to serve students who have little to no access to fresh healthy meals
    Customer service focused
    Opportunity to cross train in other departments
    Stock Options for full time employees
    Fast growing company

Cons

Start up so there is a lot of learning as we go which means long hours and trial by error.
    Rapidly growing company so there is a lot of pressure to make things happen with little time. Shoe string budget so working with the basics.

Advice to Management

Really live the values each and every day that means using them in daily conversation, hold everyone accountable for knowing them and make it a part of everyday life.

2. Customer Success Coordinator

I worked at REVOLUTION FOODS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, great mission! You really do make a difference to people.

Cons

Poorly compensated, not a strong HR dept. Slow career development

3. Mission-driven company that invests in kids in under-served schools, but not so much in its managerial employees.

I worked at REVOLUTION FOODS full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Revolution Foods is a leader in changing school food for the better. Passionate, mission-driven founders. High standards for supply chain/procurement, ingredients, food preparation, packaging. Commitment to job creation in urban/inner city communities.

Cons

Was an exempt, management employee. Job required travel throughout the region, as far as 175 miles from office. No support for overnight hotel stays meant many hours driving solo. 50 hour work week was the minimum expected, though salary based on 40 hours a week. "Base" salary was below Bay Area norms, and terms for calculating bonuses and commissions changed so wasn't paid. Little consideration for work/life balance. Offices were dirty, too cold or too hot.

Advice to Management

Likely much has changed since I worked at Rev Foods because Steve Case invested $30M in the company in June 2014. Hopeful that some of this capital was used to improve support for mid-level managers

5. Two Stints with Company

Current Employee - Human Resources Administrative in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Administrative in Oakland, CA

I have been working at REVOLUTION FOODS full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly management, mission driven organization that strives to make a difference in the lives of our youth and their health

Cons

LOW LOW LOW pay, over worked, under paid staff, non-union, top heavy salary

Advice to Management

Pay your workers and there won't be such high turnover.

6. Very Good Experience didnt have any problems

Former Employee - Dishwasher Server in Commerce City, CO
    Former Employee - Dishwasher Server in Commerce City, CO

I worked at REVOLUTION FOODS full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible with schedule and family oriented.

Cons

Not always enough hours but other than that no problems

7. Production Manager

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at REVOLUTION FOODS as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Mission! Health Benefits, employees people of the community.

Cons

Core Values not followed at all levels of management.

Advice to Management

Get more structure in place to better reward out standing employees.

8. Able to gain good work experience but it was stressful and not fairly paid

I worked at REVOLUTION FOODS full-time

Pros

You can get great work experience. It was still growing, so there was always a new skill you can learn. Environment was casual, everyone hired was generally hard-working and had open-door policy. Management was open to using your ideas in helping the company.

Cons

Depending on the position, the salary may be very under market rate especially for non-management positions. The nature of the business can become a stressful environment. it is a food service business with extreme deadlines

Advice to Management

being able to pick up new responsibilities and skills were great, but if you are not going to compensate them for it, you cant expect them to be happy about it in the long run

9. Overworked and underpaid

Current Employee - Assembly in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Assembly in Oakland, CA

I have been working at REVOLUTION FOODS part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good mission statement made by people with high regarded degrees and often related to each other. Free meals are certainly a plus.

Cons

No one really lives the mission. Those in operations are like most people state- "overworked and underpaid" I have been with the company for 5 years and have seen it grow from a small operations to a large machine. Although the executive team receives large bonuses for our work we do no see any financial benefits of our work. The conditions have been so bad in operations that most workers have threatened to go union. It was then that they only decided to give us a raise. The VP of Operation has even referred to us as "replaceable minimum wage workers." ....OUCH!

Advice to Management

A little humility from senior management goes a long way.

10. Fast growth company with a social mission

I have been working at REVOLUTION FOODS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Strong team - fantastic to work with such leadership and colleagues. Commitment to the mission of serving kids. Opportunity to get your hands dirty and hard direct impact/results. Great chance to work across the education spectrum from rural charter schools to after school programs to large urban school districts.

Cons

Constantly growing and changes with multiple reorganizations while we try to get it right. Disconnect between central home office and market teams. Too rigid for a small company. Limited investment into support structures - rely too much on individuals.

11. Growing company with a great mission that challenges talent top talent every week.

Current Employee - Department Manager
    Current Employee - Department Manager

I have been working at REVOLUTION FOODS full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fantastic mission - access to healthy food for the unhealthiest generation is greatly needed.
    Challenging business - school lunch is much more complicated than anyone would believe - the company has to constantly pivot and innovate which provides opportunity for forward thinking team members to shine.
    Advancement opportunities - the company is growing which allows for talented team members to grow their career.
    Great work/life balance. Saturdays are pretty much a never-ever for work, which is great.

Cons

Constant change - growing companies change game plans on a frequent basis / the mission and founding principles remain, but how we get there changes often. Only listed as a con because many people are afraid of change.
    Communication can sometimes be late to the field.

Advice to Management

Over-employment in the office team leads to frustration in the operations centers.