RF Binder Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
Amy Binder

1. Challenging, long hours but fun.

I have been working at RF Binder full-time

Pros

I find the people and environment to have a collaborative and fun feel. The CEO expects hard work from all employees and shows this by example. Good benefit plan.

Cons

The entry level staff have to do the grunt work with low pay and long hours. Some management staff takes advantage of this and should be call out.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to upper management that treat their subordinate unfairly. Better salary.

Run and don't look back

Pros

Generally nice people and perks, which include occasional happy hours and Bagel Fridays...but that's about it (which, as another commenter noted, most agencies have anyway)

Cons

Favoritism, lack of communication, structure, and organization, LONG HOURS, no accountability. Culture is lacking.

Advice to Management

Be more engaging with all employees and find a more effective way to work and not overservice clients, which leads to long nights.

Serious Changes Needed - Never Going To Happen

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at RF Binder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are more than a few good people that work here. Bagel Friday's are nice, but many agencies have this. Social activities are fun, but they usually make you jump through hoops or do something before they have one. Place has changed drastically since first started, especially in the past 2 years. CEO says at meetings she wants to change agency for better, but nothing ever changes.

Cons

CEO favors a few people and the rest are disposable. Doesn't even realize her own assistant practically has one foot out the door (shame the assistant is one of the good ones who would actually be worth keeping). Rules are not across the board and the HR department is non-existent. If you have an issue good luck because there is no confidentiality whatsoever when it comes to employees. CFO is a bully who likes to be involved in every aspect of the business whether it is appropriate or not. Salaries are not terrible to start, but increases are pitiful and you are made to feel as if they are doing you a favor by actually giving you an increase that is insultingly low. No work life balance at all unless you are one of the "favored" ones, even then it is minimal. And if you are not one of the favored ones it doesn't matter how much you work, it is only when you aren't there that they notice. They make you feel guilty when you take your vacation. Extremely high turnover!!

Advice to Management

Start enforcing rules across the board, not just to some people while others get away with whatever they want. Put together a real HR department so that employees are comfortable bringing any issues they have to someone in the agency without worrying it will be spread all over. Gossip runs rampant at this agency, especially among the senior staff, just because you pretend it isn't happening doesn't make it so. Make everyone feel appreciated, not just the same people over and over, especially when everyone is working just as hard.

Be Prepared to Sink or Swim

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at RF Binder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of responsibility, which can make for good experience (assuming you swim rather than sink) A few big name clients Occassional work happy hours There are a few extremely bright minds and new employees trying to turn things around If you are a favorite, it works out well for you

Cons

The agency is very stuck in old ways. Those at the top, regardless of how much they say they want change, have trouble opening up to new ideas. If you try to push back or propose an alternative way of thinking to those at the top, be prepared to be shunned or shown the door. Favoritism is apparent throughout all levels. They are losing clients rapidly. Some of the biggest happened within the last year. And unfortunately, very little new business is coming up. So much time and effort is spent on new, unbearably lengthy, business pitches, yet nothing of value arises. Those clients that do stick around know that the employees will over service them, leading employees to stay at the office late almost every night of the week. If you choose not to stay late, you may not be working hard enough according to some. The gossip-y nature of the agency and overall unwillingness to embrace a new era of public relations is truly making employees unhappy, and also resulting in less valuable business.

Advice to Management

Get with the times and make a more creative work environment (everyone has a casual dress code these days...except here) and expand the creative departments. There's more to PR than just pitching. Foster new talent and let employees know they are valued. It would be great if the CEO made more of an effort to show face and talk to her employees from time to time. Be more flexible with hours. Let people actually work 9-6. Maybe let them stroll in at 9:30. Maybe let them work from home once in a while. If you are good to your employees, it will pay off. Be transparent! No employee can be productive if they are worried they are walking on eggshells with their managers or think that they are being talked about by upper management constantly. Be real with everyone. It would be appreciated.

Horrible agency

I have been working at RF Binder full-time

Pros

A paycheck and free breakfast.

Cons

The most backwards company I could imagine. Terrible people run the agency. Management does not support staff. They use you up and spit you out. One move they don't like (attempting to improve their processes, recommending a better approach) and you are toast. 90 percent of people working here hate their job. The other 10 are favorites and could are so brainwashed that I worry they will flail if they go anywhere else.

Advice to Management

Stop being evil and selfish. Stop the pettiness. You are perpetuating the catty female business leader stereotype. It is quite sad.

Some bright spots but stuck in their ways, losing talent

Former Employee - Associate
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at RF Binder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A few big name clients Fun happy hours and social events Some smart people

Cons

Management is out of touch and too top-heavy Favoritism and political games run rampant Thankless long hours and hard work, CEO claims to want work/life balance but clearly favors those who stay late, even if just to keep up appearance) If the CEO doesn't like your manager, you by default become invisible Too much time spent on new business pitches that are usually lost, new business teams are always the same people some who don't do any client work, and shut out new ideas Pretends to be open and have an "open door policy" but it is very secretive Promotions and raises are arbitrary, really have to fight for any recognition whatsoever

Advice to Management

Better employee and manager review system to gain a true understanding of people's work load and performance Create more objective ways to advance Pay more competitively, give better raises when deserved, give performance bonuses, the CFO (who out of everyone, has absolutely no idea what people's annual performance as been) should not be there to negotiate people down as low as possible

Friendly and great sized agency with lots of upward mobility

Pros

To address some of the comments out there, there has been some recent turnover and the culture of the agency is changing – in a good way. The CEO is extremely open and willing to hear concerns of those who wish to voice them. She takes ideas and feedback to heart and works to implement change within the organization. She works hard and often gets her hands dirty, which, having been at large and small agencies myself, I’ve never seen anything quite like it. Her involvement and love for the company is palpable – and there’s proof: the agency has won a good amount of new business recently and I expect we’ll see growth within the next few quarters. To address some of the political/”favorite” comments: The way to become a “favorite” is to simply work hard, offer good ideas and take initiative. The CEO appreciates proactivity and values those who want to be working at RF|Binder. The culture is fun and casual and many employees are friends – treating each other with kindness (with the exception of a few bad eggs that surface at every company). I’ve been at some truly great and also terrible agencies, and I feel completely at home here. There is also a lot of opportunity for growth and upward mobility. Like anywhere, there is negativity, but as long as you continue to work hard and serve your clients, you are rewarded.

Cons

Like the PR industry and agency world in general, there are very tight turnaround times which can stifle creativity. However, this is to be expected at any agency, and can also be part of the fun.

Advice to Management

Please consider NOT making a distinction between personal and vacation days. These should be synonymous and employees deserve and should have the right to use paid time off however they please. Also, push back on clients more – we need to stop over-servicing small accounts.

9. Endless Growth Opportunities For Hard-Working PR Professionals

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at RF Binder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As an employee at RF|Binder for some time now, I have grown exponentially over the years, resulting from extremely hard work and dedication, as well as through an innate understanding of what it takes to succeed in this fast paced atmosphere. Many people gripe about unrealistic expectations or a difficult supervisor. While client expectations are very high, any PR practitioner who has a proactive attitude strives to succeed and do great work for clients can do amazingly well at RF|Binder. In terms of the CEO, I share the sentiments of one of my colleagues down below---- she treats all her employees like family. She is always available to her staff with an open door policy for counsel and assistance, and isn't afraid to stay late with the rest of the team to get a last minute RFP out the door.

Cons

RF|Binder is very results driven, so individuals who cannot quickly adapt and produce great results (whether it be in media relations, client communications, strategy development, etc.) need not apply. On the client side, RF|Binder does need to set better expectations with clients about deliverables and what a realistic budget needs to be to achieve that.

Advice to Management

Continue offering training programs to all levels. Manage client expectations throughout the new business process, so realistic results are vocalized up front.

RF Binder is a great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at RF Binder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Every single day is something different and it is truly a place where I can say management cares about their employees and client’s day in day out. I love the place and really can’t say enough good things.

Cons

Sometimes wish we had more professional training and organized management feedback at the agency. That would make it better.

Advice to Management

I would like to engage and work on more projects with senior management.

Great place to work and grow, I would recommend RF|Binder to anyone looking to start and nurture their career in PR

Current Employee - Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Employee in New York, NY

Pros

I’m a current employee and my experience at RFB has been wonderful. Having accumulated some experience at other agencies prior to joining RFB, I can confidently state that our senior leaders are a cut above the rest. We’ve had some key new hires over the past several months and they’re already fueling passion and creativity across all levels. A few other pros: Our CEO and our CFO have open door policies; our HR manager is attentive, supportive and is committed to finding solutions to keep employees happy and engaged; and our managing directors are true team players who will get their hands dirty to help our account teams succeed. Regular Happy Hours, wedding/baby showers, seasonal company outings and a committee dedicated to volunteerism are just a few of the activities that keep us engaged and make us feel appreciated. We also have weekly lunch & learns where we bring in vendors, members of the media and other industry professionals to talk to us about their respective businesses. There are ongoing learning opportunities and the agency is very supportive in this regard. Not to mention, when employees leave RFB, they stay in touch, refer us to new clients and always show up at our many events. We’re a family.

Cons

Managing expectations of our clients and extremely tight deadlines – but this is an industry-wide challenge and to be expected no matter where you work

Advice to Management

continue to increase frequency of important agency or industry-related news

RSS Feed </> Embed