RFMD

Updated January 12, 2015
3.3

RFMD President and CEO Bob Bruggeworth
Bob Bruggeworth

Pros
  • good work/life balance, great bunch of people (in 7 reviews)

• Work environment is comfortable and not overtaxing physically (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management does not communicate clearly (or at all) to those further down the chain (in 8 reviews)

• Stability is going down hill with senior management (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Merger spells end of culture for RFMD ??? It will be up to Bob Bruggeworth. The jury is out.

Current Employee - Administration in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Administration in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at RFMD

Pros

Technical talented people, benefits, competitive salary,

Cons

RFMD culture doesn't seem likely to survive in the more political, aggressive, bureaucracy of Triquint. The merger of equals has one side imposing their will, and power. It remains to be seen what will end up being the new normal. With more Triquint employees, even with the RFMD CEO at the helm, RFMD values of respect, inclusion and individuality seem to be lost in a power struggle to make Qorvo the new and improved Triquint.

Take care to shape the culture that will ultimately bring about the most success for the organization. Don't let behaviors that don't support the brand that you are creating to establish a hold in these early days. Then people will have to decide what they can and cannot live with in the company.
    To Triquint: Don't mistake our civility and kindness for weakness. Lots of talented people will be lost and you will be left trying to pick up the pieces. Turnover costs money.

Work Environment

I have been working at RFMD

Pros

Good place to work, good people

Cons

Uncertainty with merger; Hard to find good talent due to location

More perks to employees

A dysfunctional work environment.

Former Employee - Corporate
    Former Employee - Corporate

I worked at RFMD full-time (more than a year)

Pros

RF's core business is inventing and creating really cool communication technologies. It was exciting to be around that.

Cons

At all the other companies I've worked for, my managers ranged from "pretty decent" to "pretty great". They cared about empowering their staff to do great things. At RF, my line organization up to the senior management level was petty, dishonest, and didn't understand the work their organization was supposed to be doing. I saw managers berate staff in front of large groups over absurd accusations made-up on the spot, or yell personal insults. (Some that come to mind - "you're incomptent", "you are trying to sabotage this project"). Numerous, coordinated visits to HR asking for help did nothing. More than half the people on my team quit in the span of a few months, all citing the same problems. Sadly, I would never recommend RF to anyone as an employer.

Have external HR consultancies come in and look at the effectiveness of IT's org structure and its leadership.

Good company

I worked at RFMD

Pros

Good people, good work, good pay, good culture

Cons

this company has lost really competent engineers

Good company to start career

I have been working at RFMD

Pros

Good company to start career

Cons

A little bit slow

Great place to work!

I have been working at RFMD

Pros

Family atmosphere. Direct access to management.

Cons

Merger could mean some layoffs.

The last sane company in an insane industry?

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at RFMD full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great place to work with lots of great people. I feel that my contributions are genuinely appreciated and that I'm actually being allowed to make a real difference.

Cons

Salaries are not particularly good but OK. Health care plan is somewhat underwhelming. The bureaucracy can be a bit of a pain but overall there's really not very much to complain about.

There are some people in administrative positions who should not be trusted with the power that comes with their positions. Get rid of these people before the cause the company some real damage...

Two Different Companies In One

Current Employee - Manufacturing in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Manufacturing in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at RFMD (more than 10 years)

Pros

RFMD has decent benefits for a company its size. There are some dedicated, hardworking people who want to see the company continue to be successful. The cafeteria in the corporate building is ok.

Cons

It feels like there are two different companies....Corporate and everybody else. The culture that Corporate talks about is NOT the culture that exists in the rest of the company. There are no opportunities to move into other roles unless you are "connected" with the right people. It seems like the same people get promoted. Several managers in the Manufacturing area are terrible leaders, and only hear their own voices. This continues to kill morale, and causes employees not to do their best work. The multiple layoffs over the years has created a level of distrust.

Promote employees based on talent, skill, and contribution, and not on friendship, or if the person "looks like you".

Mostly positives, everyone is trying to do the right thing. But its often chaotic and lacking good communication.

Current Employee - Engineer in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Engineer in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at RFMD full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

NC has good weather, RFMD is a growing company with opportunity

Cons

Poor comunication from mid managers and below. Priorities are not well documented (written goals) and shift frequently. Little face time with your manager. Communication tends to be email centric. Reviews are not based on goals and results but your managers opinion. Decisions rarely have significant input from the people who have to implement the decision and tends to be made by managers who are without expertise for that area.

Focus and prioritize on the truly important. Written goals that connect all the way up from individual to group to department to business group to corporate would help as would more hands on communication with direct reports. Management spends way too much time in meetings.

Low moral

Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Greensboro, NC

I worked at RFMD full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Less pressure and loose deadlines

Cons

No rewarding for hardworking, lack of innovation

RFMD Photos