RGB Networks

Updated February 12, 2015
Updated February 12, 2015
2.5

Jef Graham

Best things come in small packages

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at RGB Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company, excellent product, fantastic team, experienced and forthright management team. What else could one ask for?

Cons

I wish I was taller...

Be more audacious, think like a startup, not enterprise, take a chance to change the playbook.

Its been a fun, tough, challenging, hilarious, and rewarding ride

Current Employee - Individual Contributor in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Individual Contributor in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at RGB Networks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Probably one of the best things about RGB is the people. While there will always be troublemakers and incompetent people in surprisingly influential roles, I have found this to be far less the case at RGB than at other companies. I currently work with the best team of engineers (both in Austin and Sunnyvale), support people, and QA engineers I've ever known. My own immediate team is of a caliber I doubt I'll find again. They take pride in their work and a personal responsibility to deliver better than their best with limited resources. I've worked closely with everyone in Austin (and those remote to it) and I can honestly say there's not one person there who isn't devoted, smart, creative, and just generally enjoyable to know.

Our CS group in Sunnyvale consistently gets the highest rated customer satisfaction ratings in the industry--that doesn't happen if the workplace sucks. That happens when you have good people being empowered to do good things by good managers. The executive VP team works their butts off. There is little doubt that they are just as devoted as the employees, in addition to the extra motivation of taking care of the people who work for them. The office admin staff are tireless contributors toward making the workplace fun, enjoyable, convenient, and rewarding. And I see good things on the horizon for the direction our Sunnyvale engineering team is headed, all of whom I personally know to be devoted to their work.

Cons

RGB is certainly not all wine and roses. We suffer from a lack of resources and a lack of consistent and quickly responsive leadership. We get stuck on an idea sometimes that isn't good business and we don't respond to it as quickly as this industry requires. The frustrating thing for me has always been how great all the people here are, how fantastic the teams work, but also how the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing at some very critical times. It is true we have gone through several layoffs. None of them have been willy nilly, and the last one in particular was very difficult. Some incredibly talented people got let go who wouldn't have had to go had the company responded earlier to some important business direction signs.

Unfortunately, when resources are limited, those who remain have to work even harder, and the harder you focus on one thing, the less you are able to focus on others (thus, the left/right hand thing). I think this is some of the frustration expressed in some of the more negative reviews here. You will find this at any company, though. The mark of a good one is how well they can respond to the change that's required. While the CEO and EVP team are ultimately responsible for leading good changes, employees are just as necessary to driving them. Marketing could use more resources and a brighter spark, as could IT.

(As an aside, in response to a previous review: "Athiestism" is not preached here since you can't preach something that isn't a word. Even as I type it, the red spell check tells me it's not a word. Finally, I've personally never been verbally harassed, nor seen it done to others, by anyone in Austin.)

There needs to be more internal excitement and messaging about where we are headed, more internal (and external) advertising. More product training knowledge for employees, better understanding of competition. Salaries are OK, but bonuses should be better (i.e., they should exist). Austin does need another engineering manager so the VP can focus on VP stuff. Marketing needs more resources.

Company in transition

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at RGB Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A friendly and family oriented organization doing leading edge things in an interesting industry.

Cons

A bit of a boom or bust mentality. A history of changing product directions and priorities has made communication and focus difficult.

Focus, focus, focus

Good company, in transition

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at RGB Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

RGB Networks has great people, good video products and a decent customer base. The compensation and benefits are OK but not spectacular.

Cons

RGB has good people but they are stretched a little thin. With many products the result is that they aren't able to innovate on all of them as much as customers would like.

Annual layoffs and a lack of management in Austin

Former Employee - Staff QA Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Staff QA Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at RGB Networks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Satisfactory health benefits with low premiums

Cons

1. There were layoffs almost each of the 5 years that I worked for this employer. Most layoffs were in the Sunnyvale CA office, with only a spackling of layoffs in the Austin office. The layoffs came swiftly and without notice, and continue to happen.

2. The Austin office literally has no 1st level management anymore. The software development management quit, and a replacement was never hired. Executive management has delegated some product decision making authority to non-management underlings, and code changes are now being made "willy nilly" as a result. The QA management is physically present but not mentally present, and fails to keep QA staff in check. Certain QA staff are agressive and verbally harass others without consequence, and preach Athiestism.

Any offer of employment received to work at this company regardless of the position, whether in Austin or Sunnyvale, should be considered with utmost care. It may beneficial to accept new employment here as a last alternative to make ends meet, and once accepted, make a dilligent effort to find a different opportunity elsewhere.

My advice to upper management is to hire new management to work at the Austin office, and provide some proper Agile training so the staff trying to use it know what they are using, and why.

Frequent layoffs, short sighted management

I worked at RGB Networks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You will for sure get to experience the thrill of getting laid off if you haven't been laid off before.

Cons

I can write a book on this. As previous reviews have mentioned, incompetent and short sighted management and probably won't see any worse than this. Frequent layoffs, high turnover and lack of leadership is what has made RGB a "Lonesome Dud" as previous reviewer has mentioned. There were layoffs in 2009, 2011, 2013 and in July 2014. When company makes profit, they spend it like there is no tomorrow. Took entire team to Cabo San Lucas on a company sponsored trip and within months after that there were layoffs. Layoffs are followed by high employee turnover. When I joined RGB there were close to 20 people in my team and meeting room used to be full but when I left there were 5 people left.

Lack of leadership, product direction, inflated titles and salaries, incompetent engineers

Current Employee - Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at RGB Networks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

High salary, very little work to do, so if you want to get paid to do very little, this is a place for you. While I was there, there was a all-paid trip to Cabo for the entire company.

Cons

Bad leadership due to inexperience in directors. Directors and above were engineers (not good ones at that) at previous companies before joining RGB.

Hire competent leaders who can infuse new life into very stale organization to turn the company around.

Lonsome Dud

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at RGB Networks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

End of the month lunches, company parties, subsidized drinks/snacks.

Cons

Most of the company was laid off in July, just after the long weekend. Now just a skeleton crew working long hours towards inflated goals to sell off the company.

Management does not take advise, that why they are where they are...

Company needs a clear direction

I have been working at RGB Networks

Pros

Work load is fairly manageable. Friendly work environment and diverse culture.

Cons

Had some innovative products before but needs more clear direction for new products.

Still not focused on its direction

Current Employee - Senior Staff in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Staff in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at RGB Networks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good engineering team and exciting work

Cons

Some times I feel like the company has lost its direction, but you never know.

RGB Networks Photos