RGIS
www.rgisinv.com Auburn Hills, MI 5000+ Employees

RGIS Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

John Ling

Pros:
  • "If all you are looking for is part time second job then this is great"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Flexible hours, part-time, easy to understand procedures"
    in 20 reviews
Cons:
  • "Management plays favorites, long hours, no respect, people they hire are lowest of the low"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Twice we stood around for 2 hours with nothing to do and this was at 2am on the weekend"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Overlooked potential; hired as Inventory Auditor, rather than skilled Inventory Manager.

Inventory Auditor (Former Employee)
East Providence, RI

I worked at RGIS part-time for less than a year

ProsEasy to learn, easy work, some other employees are fun to be around. New stores to inventory. They hire anyone off the street, as it were, to be Inventory Auditors, though they choose inexperienced people to be managers. VERY varied schedule, but I was used to that kind of thing.

ConsI worked previously for WIS International, a competing company, for 8 years, working my way up to an Inventory Manager. When I left WIS, and applied for RGIS, I applied as an Inventory Manager, since I was qualified, considering the skills and experience required. I was hired, however, as an entry-level Inventory Auditor. The hiring manager knew of my previous experience, but ignored it. When I tried to give advice, I was looked down on by people who had only worked in the business for a year or two.

A district manager questioned why I was in the entry-level position, and the manager who happened to hire me (who was on the sales floor next to me) lied to the manager, and said that I never told her about my previous experience. Really?! Okay. She then told him that she had no idea who I was, so she couldn't really talk about it.

The job, considering there are no work vehicles (vans, etc.) can be hard on personal vehicles, since you need to drive yourself to and from each store. I quit a few months after working there, still as an Inventory Auditor - even AFTER the district manager suggested I be promoted, since we spoke for some time, and I gave a variety of suggestions that he told the other managers to put to use. The money wasn't worth it, since I was barely getting scheduled any hours, and I was paying more in gas than I was actually getting paid.

The favoritism was incredible. The "Top Guns" got to cherry pick whatever areas they wanted, and god forbid you try to scan the area!! Even certain shelves; for example, shelves 1-4 are fine for anyone, but 5-7 are for Top Guns ONLY.! Yet they wouldn't give other people the ability to become Top Guns. Only the people that they liked had that ability. The levels of "employment" - "auditor", "expert", "top gun", etc., are all useless. Everyone does the same job.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually check your managers in each office. Many of them don't know what they're doing. Even when I just started at this job, and had to learn a new machine, etc., I was STILL training other new people how to do the job. If someone says that they have the experience to do the job, test them, and if they pass, promote them.
The Top Gun, etc., "positions" need to be checked out, as well. Either give that ability to anyone who can obtain it, or get rid of it completely.
Company vans would be great for some people, especially in the "slow months" when it costs more to drive to the store than you'd receive working there.

bad hours low pay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at RGIS

ProsWill hire easily. You have a choice to when you want to work.

ConsThe hours available usually aren't hours you would normally want to work. Pay is very low.

No Way

Auditor (Former Employee)

I worked at RGIS part-time for more than a year

Proseasy to be hired hred

Conslow pay; sporadic schedule; not nice

Advice to Senior Managementno sporadic schedule

Worst job I ever had bar none!

Inventory Taker (Former Employee)
Birmingham, AL

I worked at RGIS part-time for less than a year

ProsThere are no good reasons whatsoever!

ConsI was lied to about the distances I would have to drive. They were all well over what I told then I could accept. Even though I wasn't paid for such, they claimed they paid me for 2 extra days after the date of my orientation/training. I had already told them right after orientation/training that I did not want the job so I didn't even show up the next 2 days. Because of their duplicity I was disqualified for unemployment compensation which I appealed. When the telephone hearing date came up they never even called the UC people as required. But instead of my winning my appeal by default, the UC people sided with them anyway. So much for justice for working people! Money talks and bs walks.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop licking your ice cream cone with a dagger behind your ack.

One of many who were tossed out with the trash

Former and Forgotten District Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at RGIS full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWow I will have to think about that one.

ConsAfter many years in a management career with them they fired me, like so many without as much as a thank you. They threw customers under the bus also so at least they were equal opportunity morons.

Advice to Senior ManagementPull your head out of your........

Managers who don't know how to manage. Rigged APH system

Former Manager (Former Employee)
Overland Park, KS

I worked at RGIS full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIf all you are looking for is part time second job then this is great.

ConsManagement plays favorites, long hours, no respect, people they hire are lowest of the low.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt the District level at least you need to screen the Area Manager position better. I left RGIS for a client that was willing to give me respect and pay me what I was worth. Get rid of APH system, it does nothing but lets Managers play favorites and makes everyone else mad that they are being snubbed. If RGIS new how to treat their quality people I would still be working there and i would probably be an Area Manager or District Manager given my experience and skills.

RGIS

Inventory Taker (Current Employee)
Cypress Creek, FL

I have been working at RGIS part-time for less than a year

ProsYou get a lot of hours. There work around your schedule.

ConsYou can work really late.

False advertising

Inventory Taker (Former Employee)
South Pasadena, CA

I worked at RGIS part-time for less than a year

ProsThe pay wasn't too bad.

ConsThey work you to the max with barely any breaks. My first day, I worked about six hours and we had 1 ten minute break.

auditor

Inventory Auditor (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at RGIS part-time for less than a year

Prospart time job, flexible hours

Consno steady hours, no training for new recruits

Advice to Senior Managementworkers need steady hours

Steer clear of this one

Auditor-level Inventory Specialist (Former Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I worked at RGIS part-time for more than a year

ProsFew, if any.

I will agree, perhaps, that $8.00 per hour MAY be good pay for the job at the level that I was at, but not after you have been on your feet, with all that entails, for 12-14 hours straight, which was NOT an uncommon situation.

ConsWhere to begin...all the cons left previously in other reviews are spot on. In addition, they do NOT offer any chance for advancement because all the good positions in a count or inventory are left to the more skilled counters. They do NOT offer the requisite lunch and break schedules, at least by my experience, because they want to get things done as quickly as possible. They WILL work you until you drop, with no concern for your health or well-being...as I said, I had numerous experiences where I was on my feet anywhere from 6-14 hours. That gets particularly painful. And there was a wall in our regional office (Indianapolis north) that was covered with photos of previous employees that had died while working for RGIS. What does that say? Also, they do not know how to keep districts separated. Our district, the north district, was constantly running to the aid of the south district, as well as numerous out-of-state clients, instead of insisting that those districts provide enough workers for their own areas. On top of it all, work/life balance issues for the middle management folks, the people that supervised any particular count, were horrendous. I continue to be amazed that those folks even stayed with RGIS as long as any of them did. RGIS senior management apparently always misinformed these mid-management folks, telling them that x number of people would be on a count or inventory, and then sending a number less than x. I can understand some of the inventory crew just not showing of their own accord, but I remember several inventory leads complaining of NOT having enough crew to perform the inventory well. Finally, I parted company with them when there just got to be so little work they could or would send me on that I had to find something else. And then they blamed me for not accepting work assignments they allegedly offered me.

Advice to Senior ManagementPull your heads out!

You need to make this job really worth doing, for ALL involved. Scheduled breaks to ease foot/leg fatigue, scheduled lunches after 5-6 hour counts (no I did NOT see any of that), a better way for people to advance in your company that incorporates time on the job AND counting speeds, and stop lying to your mid-management folks...if x number of people are going to go to an inventory, make absolutely sure that x number are there.

Worked for RGIS? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at RGIS reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for RGIS CEO John Ling. All 309 reviews posted anonymously by RGIS employees.