RGM Advisors, LLC Reviews

Reset
4.7
Richard Gorelick

1. RGM takes great care of its employees and is a fun place to work at

I worked at RGM Advisors, LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, management that cares about employees, good pay

Cons

It is a small company and personal growth potential may be limited

2. Ideal company for techies with interests in finance.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at RGM Advisors, LLC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The firm went the extra mile to make the office a place employees WANT to go to every workday. -At the same time, the firm is very supportive of flexible working arrangements (some people work primarily from home). -At the end of the day, it is really a technology company (that makes money using its own financial trading systems). -No customers and/or investors. The company is completely self-funded and funds operations through returns on its own investment activity. -Due to the various smart policies and unique characteristics, including those listed above, everyone at the company seems “happier” than at any other companies I have worked for.

Cons

There is not a ladder of arbitrarily made up titles to climb and turnover seems very low for a financially related company (these are actually pros to me, but may be cons to individuals acclimated to the finance industry).

Advice to Management

You have put together an awesome company by maintaining a very free and creative environment. At this point, introducing a higher level of standardization could help scalability (thinking more along the lines of operational/coding standardization than “dress code”).

3. Great Experience So Far!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at RGM Advisors, LLC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It seems like there is a great work-life balance here at RGM, which was a huge factor for myself when looking for careers. The benefits they provide really are very competitive for the Austin area and make it an overall very attractive package. I love the laid back environment and like knowing if I want or need to speak with upper management for anything, they are right down the hall (which isn't very common in companies anymore!) Overall I am very pleased with RGM thus far and look forward to growing my career with them!

Cons

No cons that I have experienced since starting

5. Great company for those with families and who want to stay firmly in your comfort zone.

Former Employee - Trader in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Trader in Austin, TX

I worked at RGM Advisors, LLC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Comfortable offices, and constantly changing difficult problem to solve. Very sharp colleagues.

Cons

Horizontal management structure limits any growth. Compensation is driven by random assignment of strategy allocation, and well below industry standards. One of my colleagues referred to the system of resource allocation as a high school popularity contest.

A fantastic place to work in a field I didn't expect to enjoy.

Current Employee - Database Developer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Database Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at RGM Advisors, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work environment is located in Downtown Austin, with views of the surround hills and lake, a modern design aesthetic, and any equipment you can desire. Despite being a financial firm, we operate as a technology firm first and foremost. Getting to actual work involves by and large hands-off management, which works great for the right kind of personnel. High expectations are placed on everyone, from estimating effort through to project completion. Projects are varied and interesting, since we deal with huge amounts of data, tons of computing power, and what sound like far-fetched ideas. When it all comes together, the things that our technology is capable of can be downright staggering, from the research to the trading through to the back office systems. The level of talent is unmatched in my experience, which is a keeps me both motivated and on my toes. The conversations, whether work related or just geeking out over whatever it is we're into, are always fun.. We are treated well in all regards - from the simple things like food and drink to management understanding that working more hours doesn't make us more productive or valuable, it all adds up to a great work life, but more importantly, one that treads lightly on the life outside of work. Also, meetings are used as a tool, not as the solution to every problem. Between this and the quality of life, that's what I have enjoyed the most as improvements over previous work environments.

Cons

To keep from sounding too positive to be believed, there are a few. The work environment can be challenging if you are not self-motivated and disciplined, and those are things that cannot be gleaned from a resume or judged in an interview, so candidates should be very honest with themselves and RGM regarding those aspects of their personality, or expect to really focus on that as part of your personal development. Getting new candidates has been challenging, which is unfortunate. We do have a very rigorous process, but I wouldn't make it easier just to get more bodies in the building. Working from home isn't necessarily the best idea, as you can miss out on valuable context through conversations that really help build the picture and inform your decision making. Company performance is very highly correlated with factors outside of our control, which can be very frustrating to see in contrast with the continued improvement of our technology and personnel.

Advice to Management

The steady handed approach is something I'm very pleased to see, through ups and downs, and I believe that needs to stay a core piece of the enterprise to keep us in the hunt as one of the best places to work, and keep our performance at a high level. Things must change over time, but management builds trust at ever major decision point which makes the change more acceptable - just don't abuse that trust.

7. Great company! Exciting and interesting work!

I have been working at RGM Advisors, LLC

Pros

I have been at RGM for almost 4 years now and this has been hands down the best job of my 16 year career. The company treats their employees very well. There is definitely a feeling of trust, that we are all adults and working for the good of the company. No micro managing at all. The work is fast paced and very interesting. The company rewards innovation and improvement. You are working with motivated and sharp people.

Cons

RGM is a relatively flat company, so there is not much of a “corporate ladder” to climb. For some that will be a plus and for other that may be a con.

8. Collaboratively working with smart, driven coworkers on interesting quantitative problems in global financial markets.

Current Employee - Quantitative Researcher in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Quantitative Researcher in Austin, TX

I have been working at RGM Advisors, LLC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The work itself is interesting. We work on challenging quantitative problems like creating robust, predictive models using large data sets of financial time series. The culture is collaborative, encouraging and flexible. Employees here maintain a healthy sustainable work-life balance. Compensation is great and uses a communal structure to promote collaboration which is valued here.

Cons

Our structure is very flat, so employees don't frequently have title changes as responsibility, productivity and compensation increase.

9. Great atmosphere and smart people!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at RGM Advisors, LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

RGM Advisors provides a friendly and casual work environment and employs very bright individuals from all walks of life. The company structure is very flat which allows people across the organization to impact the business in various ways. I have worked for many companies in Austin over the last 15 years and think the company provides a great atmosphere and great compensation and benefits and is one of the beter employers in Austin, Texas.

Cons

The flat structure may not be for everyone

10. A wonderful group of smart, ambitious individuals

I have been working at RGM Advisors, LLC full-time

Pros

You will have the chance to work with incredibly talented people. It is a friendly and collaborative environment. Every employee is treated as a valued contributing member of the team and management is very approachable. The pay and benefits are superb - particularly for Austin. It is a wonderful place to work if you are looking for a healthy work-life balance. Everyone here is expected to work incredibly hard but the company respects the fact that people have lives outside of the office. In fact, they encourage it.

Cons

Management has an aversion for implementing strict employee and HR related policies. RGM does not wish to be "corporate" but sometimes having such relaxed policies leads to frustration.

RSS Feed </> Embed