RGP

Updated February 25, 2015
3.4

RGP CEO and President Tony Cherbak
Tony Cherbak

Pros
  • As a company they do seem to recognize a work life balance (in 24 reviews)

• Good benefits and the company pays for your benefits if you are between contracts (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Too much bench time and lack of consistent communication from client service team (in 16 reviews)

• There has been a lot of turnover in sales/ client service teams over the last few years (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

good

I worked at RGP

Pros

good bench time for life

Cons

bad bench time for not paid

Consulting at RGP

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at RGP full-time

Pros

Consultants can accept or reject project assignments

Cons

Consultants only get paid for bench time by using vacation pay if available

Other alternatives

I worked at RGP full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great consultants who go above and beyond

Cons

Too much bench time. Recent pronouncement about bench time "Hard to compute" Pure BS!!
    No communication
    Short-sighted CSD's who play it safe
    33% of assignments are beginner type; 33% are intermediate and 33 % are expert-much like rating of ski slopes. God help you if you are assigned to the beginner type assignment. Horrible.

My advice is not to Senior Management but to anyone who wants to work here. Use it as a stepping stone. No consistent work year over year. I have had year after year of unemployment(downtime) and no raises. They review and pay at the market. God help you if you are at the market. No raises going on 8 years. Hard to stay motivated with this place. No serious reviews since the CSD's pick up information during infrequent conversations. More interested in who to contact to drum up business. All dictated from California. Most of the leadership has been out in the California sun too long and only cares about 40% margin drummed into the local staff as outlined in the first one or two slides from the last conference call.

RGP Response

Feb 25, 2015Account Director

Thank you for your candid post. RGP strives to be transparent and welcomes all feedback from our Consultants. We would be happy to discuss this further with you and can arrange a direct conversation ... More

Accountant Consulting

Current Employee - Consultant in A T Martinez Colonia, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in A T Martinez Colonia, TX

I have been working at RGP

Pros

RGP is a good place to work

Cons

Limited number of holidays need to find work when client taking holiday.

Stay engaged with cosultants

They are like any other contracting company. They place you and then reap profit off of your placement.

Current Contractor - Analyst in Portland, OR
    Current Contractor - Analyst in Portland, OR

I have been working at RGP as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Training stipend of $250/year plus a lot of great training materials online and available for contractors.

Cons

Hourly placements.
    From my perspective they don't really try to network and place you at companies that you want to work for.

Move back to the salary system. Your retention will be higher.

Excellent work todate.

Current Contractor - Information Technology Business Consultant in Irvine, CA
    Current Contractor - Information Technology Business Consultant in Irvine, CA

I have been working at RGP as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Professional and well-respective client base.

Cons

Only paid when you work; no pay when on the bench between client engagements

Great Pay and Benefits

Former Contractor - Senior Paralegal in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Contractor - Senior Paralegal in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at RGP as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

They offer very competitive rates for experienced legal and accounting professionals along with great benefits.

Cons

On the legal side, assignments were few and far between. They also expect you to spend a lot of time interviewing for positions which is not paid.

Worst Case Scenario

Current Contractor - Financial Services Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Contractor - Financial Services Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at RGP as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The client service people know how to woo you. They know how to whisper sweet nothings into your ear and tell you exactly what you want to hear. Worried about having consistent work? Don't worry. The client service directors will tell you good lies that put your concerns about not working at ease. I believe one told me "someone with your background will never be on the bench. You have such an excellent background and the Houston market is short of consultants! We need more people like you!"

Cons

Here's my experience. RGP failed to do their due diligence because a pion from a Fortune 500 company called them (RGP) and asked for resources (a consultant). Rather than ensure the person contacting RGP had the authority to make such a request, the client service directors (at RGP) reacted like they saw a celebrity and did anything they could to get me to work at that client site. I was even called "flakey", and that was because I said "no" to RGP 3 times. Why? Sure I was offered a high rate. Yes, I hated my job prior to that of RGP. But the task explained by RGP was beneath my skills, and, frankly, not at all interesting. However, that was not my issue with RGP. What I don't respect are the lies. Don't tell me my background is amazing when the reality is, I was only suited for that one client and ill suited for everyone else. Don't tell me that there are more jobs than there are consultants to solidify the fact that I am needed as a resource. Don't tell me that the Houston job market is amazing and that downtime has been nonexistent for 3 years. Don't lie! Because when things did not work out, all I got from those within RGP was an "I'm sorry. Hang in there." The real story: The person that requested the resource from RGP did not have the authority to do so. Her boss told her to fix her mistake. Rather than give me 2 weeks notice (per the agreement between RGP and that client) I was only given 1 week. Really, I was shoved out the door. My project that was to last for 6 months terminated in 5 weeks. Now I am looking at being terminated as an employee at RGP because I have been on the bench for 3 months. Worse, this situation has drained my bank accounts and I need to move out of my home because I can no longer afford to live in it. Again, this has been my experience, but I feel taken advantage of and lied to. I cannot support a company that will willingly lie and manipulate just to get what they want. And really, RGP is not a company. It is a placement agency. RGP advertises itself as a spin-off from Deloitte, however, I highly doubt a Big 4 will behave as sloppily with its clients as what I have personally experience. Trust me, I am currently a consultant for one of them (and am thankful for the opportunity to pay my bills as well as enhance my resume). When one works, it is to support themselves, not to lose things they have worked hard for, especially their home.

Ensure your client service people do their due diligence when communicating with those making requests for consultants. Make sure those that are making the requests have the authority to do so. Simple background checks can prevent a lot of problems in the future. Only 5 weeks out of a 6 month contract...that is a lot of money lost to RGP. Whomever set up that deal with the client should be fired.

RGP Response

Feb 11, 2015VP of Client Strategy

Think again!!!

I have been working at RGP

Pros

They take you out lunch every so often.

Cons

Company is not for someone who needs a paycheck. Poor communication after telling them this needs to improve over and over. Lazy CSD's. I would never recommend this company to someone who is starting out. Use it as a transition step only!!!!!!

Remember TIEL. Find out what it really means. You have forgotten.

Good Oportunity

I have been working at RGP

Pros

Work you own hours
    Happy Hour
    Great communication and team work

Cons

Tends to micromanage a little to much