RGS Associates Reviews

Respectful

Former Employee - Consultant  in  Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Arlington, VA

I worked at RGS Associates full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have worked for RGS twice, and although both were short lived careers, I would highly recommend this company. The people are great, the management staff is very supportive and they make all of their employees feel important and needed. I would work for them again if called back.

Cons

I cannot think of anything bad to say about RGS.

Ok but management needs to be more aggressive

I worked at RGS Associates full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Good benefits
    - Open to suggestion
    - Fairly stable business
    - Trying to promote good company culture

Cons

- Management doesn't challenge itself to grow
    - Mobility when a consultant but not if your corporate staff (because of the above)
    - A bit of the good-old-boy politics for promotions on the consulting side
    - While trying to actively promote good company culture, there seems to be a bit of an identity crisis at the same time. End of the day - culture is hard to change unless upper management lives, eats, breaths, and demonstrates the culture it is trying to embody and impresses it upon middle management.

Be more aggressive towards company growth and really embody the corporate culture you're trying to convey. Define promotion paths for both direct and indirect personnel.

Overall good experience. Small company looking to grow...but similar to many other govt. contractors

I worked at RGS Associates

Pros

Small company feel, good employees, stable pipeline given size of firm

Cons

Company sometimes tries to be 'Bigger' than they are. Used to have great benefits...now many of the perks have gone

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Advice to Management

I have been working at RGS Associates as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people to work with and good networking opportunities, nice happy hour events

Cons

Misleading during interview process, strives to underpay, allows client to lead and push, does not stand behind written culture and core values, promotions are not granted evenly across the board, management keeps ROI at the top

Lead by example - Honor the culture and core values that you present. Halt the superficial communication - Promote deserving associates - Remove egotistical standards - A good company is effective and grows when dollars (although important) are not the prime focus. It's the talent that you hire that play an integral role in the success of RGS. Nurture the talent (fairly across the board) and you won't have to watch the numbers so closely - Approach the issue of retention and lay offs with consideration (you do need referrals to help to keep RGS in the competition

RGS Disconnect between Middle Mgmt and Client

Former Employee - Trainer  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Trainer in Washington, DC

I worked at RGS Associates full-time for less than a year

Pros

Competitive salary; Gave opportunities to shine; Performed the on-site mission

Cons

Immediate supervisor gave the impression that she felt threatened by my skills; Chose to capitalize on a misunderstanding that ultimately led to my dismissal despite the fact that the on-site director was more than pleased with my performance and contribution (2004-5)

Company growth and market potential shouldn't be sacrificed by the narrow-mindedness of some in lower management.

Great potential, great intent, so-so execution

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at RGS Associates

Pros

Family atmosphere, open-door policy actually works, great community contributor. Challenging, meaningful work usually available to junior people. Aggressive promotion opportunities at lower ranks. L&D opportunities and encouragement are plentiful. Great communications up and down hierarchy.

Cons

Small company in tough economic environment, not much cushion. Does a lot of staff augmentation work but bills self as management consultants. Bold in ideas but timid in execution--very slow to bring about important, needed changes.

Execute, execute, execute. Many promises about changes in core company processes are made by management, but most fizzle out or wither on the vine. Need to see upper managers more often to make me feel like part of the company and not part of the customer.

Room for Improvement, but overall a good place to be

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at RGS Associates

Pros

RGS is extremely supportive and good to their employees with regard to balancing work-life and family issues. I have never had a hard time taking personal time or managing my schedule in a manner that suited me. Management really cares about the employees and tries hard to make a personal connection with each employee -- and maintain that connection. The company has grown a lot in the last several years and transformed itself from a very technical firm to an IT firm to a true consultancy.

Cons

Middle management, ie the project/account managers are often undertrained and undermentored and do not do a good enough job providing meaningful feedback and challenging work to their teams. Many PMs "hog" tasks that could easily be distributed to other team members and do not do a good enough job giving their team members opportunities to shine.

Promotions, done on an individual basis, can often seem to favor certain people or certain managers over others. There is little to no transparency in the process and it can be hard to know where one stands.

Train and mentor your middle management/PMs better and hold them accountable for results.

Great Place To Work!!

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at RGS Associates

Pros

- MGMT really CARES about the employees
    - MGMTreally LISTENS to employees!!
    - lots of training and mentoring
    - Opportunities to get involved in projects outside of client work
    - Entrepreneual atmosphere
    - Great work life balance
    - Great flexibility
    - Great place for working moms!!

Cons

pay isn't as high as other companies, but still competitive

Increase salaries and RGS will have no problem being rated a "best place to work"
    Leadership training is needed accross the board

They Think Too Highly of Themselves

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lancaster, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, PA

I have been working at RGS Associates

Pros

Some nice people
    Team work space
    Social events

Cons

Below Average Pay
    Too Focused on Subdivision work
    Inexperience Senior Management

Diversify your client base

RGS is a great place to work as a government consultant

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at RGS Associates

Pros

Opportunities to share my ideas are great at a small company like RGS. The company is large enough to have a solid infrastructure and small enough for employees to have a direct audience with executive management. Management respects and values the associates. Communication from management/executive leadership is frequent and open. In general, benefits are generous and comparable to other firms in the industry.

Cons

The internal training and certification program is a good idea, but needs to be restructured to account for associates following different career paths. I believe this is currently being addressed, so improvements are forthcoming. The incentive program was discontinued.

Reinstate an incentive program that rewards employees for their accomplishments.

Worked for RGS Associates? Contribute to the Community!