RGS Energy

Updated December 18, 2014
Updated December 18, 2014
2.2

Dennis Lacey

Pros
  • Some very good people work here that seem to care and want you to succeed (in 4 reviews)

• Great work environment, nice bonus system, (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Complete lack of communication from upper management (in 8 reviews)

• Lots of pointing fingers and no one take accountability (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Installer 2

I have been working at RGS Energy

Pros

Cool people. yRelaxed Installs. Good Begginer Pay

Cons

Little Work during most a winter.

Pay workers more.

In a competitive commericial market there are mandatory edges to stay ahead.

Former Employee - Design Engineer in Louisville, CO
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in Louisville, CO

I worked at RGS Energy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people who I worked with truly dedicated themselves to excellence in engineering for solar installations. It was the best team I have experienced under heavy stress and with minimal support outside engineering.

Cons

A complete lack of transparency and communication among the segments of the company. No stated goals, no performance based incentives and sub par site information and feedback during all phases of solar construction.

Increase the emphasis on doing things right the first time by learning from mistakes and give everyone the info and training to do so. Make goals know, build a culture and rep of doing things right and thoroughly rather then bare minimum to get something done.

Unfulfilled promises

Current Employee - Energy Broker
    Current Employee - Energy Broker

I have been working at RGS Energy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some very good people work here that seem to care and want you to succeed

Cons

They don't give you enough leads, they expect you to know more than you know. Their training is marginal at best.

New employees are put in a very tough spot. Yes, they receive a bit of a salary, but commissions are ridiculously low. The new people should be given more commission on closed deals and perhaps a little better starting salary. There is tremendous turnover because it is incredibly difficult to survive in this model.

Assistant Project Manager

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at RGS Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule and friendly work environment. The only perk for me was the relationships and friendships that I established with the people that I worked with at my office.

Cons

Complete lack of communication from upper management. I worked in an office on the East Coast and I felt that there was a really big disconnect from the corporate office in Louisville. Went through three CEO's and not once was the company culture ever clear. I always feared for my job as everyone that I worked with over many years were being let go. High turnover rate. No career or training opportunities. I just become really miserable working for RGS Energy over the years.

Get it together.

Foreman

I have been working at RGS Energy full-time

Pros

Great people, good learning experience, opportunity for growth.

Cons

Lack of growth, revolving door management positions at the local level, lack of organization company wide.

Making a turnaround

Current Employee - Operations Specialist in Louisville, CO
    Current Employee - Operations Specialist in Louisville, CO

I have been working at RGS Energy full-time

Pros

My hours are flexible and my benefits are an improvement over what I had at my last job. My coworkers and manager are very friendly and easy to work with. I'm part of the team that's really working well in the company. Management has recently changed and the new guard has a direction and good ideas.

Cons

My prospects for advancement are slim unless serious growth occurs soon. Which it might.
    I hate commuting on Highway 36 under construction.

Focus more on training at hire and throughout an employee's tenure.

I worked at RGS Energy

Pros

I really couldn't think of one thing. I thought for sometime and noghing.

Cons

This company merged with syndicated solar and there sales took over management. If rgs goes down I wouldn't be surprised if it is because of that merger.

Quit and find another profession.

The Good, Bad, & Ugly

I have been working at RGS Energy full-time

Pros

Great legacy and brand name in the industry, loyal and professional staff, delivers a fantastic product and thus has a good reputation among customers and peers.

Cons

Inter-departmental communication, agility and capacity to handle bandwidth of pipeline and backlog, disconnected internally with estimating, no organized financing methodology.

Goals should be transparent and supported by a structure, process, and people.

Sinking Ship

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Louisville, CO
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Louisville, CO

I have been working at RGS Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Gaiam cafeteria is awesome, workout facility on site, not in denver so easy to commute to work, coworkers are easy to work with inside engineering department and old Real Goods folk on PAT team.

Cons

No growth path, management has no clue how to be successful or cares about their employees, no raises, company is managed by sales people from acquired company who promote themselves to vp and director positions that know a fraction of what the people who have been with RGS for the long haul know about the industry. Operations and purchasing is useless at providing reliable info. Management thinks it's reasonable to make engineering work till 7 pm at night. Company is dissolving it's commercial division and has lay-offs monthly (new CEO's specialty, literally). Company has also stopped paying it's vendors because they are so far in debt..I would be surprised if they are around in 6 months. Would give 0 stars if that were possible...

Listen to your employees and people that have been in the industry. Focus on long term objectives to save overall costs.

It's amateur hour

Former Employee - Sales in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Jose, CA

I worked at RGS Energy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, and lots of potential. The company has a great story. It's funny that they have been in business this long!!

Cons

This company is a joke. They want to compete with the big boys, but they don't want to apply the resources that you need to succeed. Marketing is a joke, IT is a joke, the operations team makes rookie mistakes on almost every job, which makes is almost impossible to have happy referring customers.

You need to go all in, find out what your good at, and build on it.