RGS Energy Reviews

Updated July 22, 2014
Updated July 22, 2014

2.2

Dennis Lacey

Good experience with company supporting the team even through economic downturn.

Former Employee - Systems Designer  in  Larkspur, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Designer in Larkspur, CA

I worked at RGS Energy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company has been in business for over two decades. That equals deep experience in the field which helps win customer deals and customer confidence.

Cons

Depending on job daily travel distance can be extensive and days can be long. Job may require you to work long hours and nights.

Keep up the good work. Continue to add work automation that creates work efficiency in the office and in the field.

The mission of this company is to make money - customers and employees are NOT priorities.

I worked at RGS Energy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome location, beautiful little town outside of Boulder. All the people not in management are fun and easy going. Nice building, great food in the cafe.

Cons

Management is terrible. The company has gone through a complete culture change and the goal of the company now is to make money, that's it.

Talk to other people in the office, get to know your employees, develop trust.

Outside

I have been working at RGS Energy

Pros

You get to work outside in vermont

Cons

it gets cold in the winter.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A longstanding, once honorable competitor, in M&A chaos/disfunction - complete reboot.

Current Employee - Energy Broker
    Current Employee - Energy Broker

I have been working at RGS Energy full-time for less than a year

Pros

Have a fair amount of freedom working from home mostly and on the road. Sales people have a great story to tell about the tenure and history of the company in the market. They do carry good products usually. The installation teams do really good work. My boss is cool. They are learning to use some pretty cool technology tools. Have a huge range of financial strategic partners.

Cons

Pretty much nothing was like what I was told coming in to this company. Failed delivery of many components for success. Training was pretty inadequate, but they are trying. Very little support. The work tool technology was not supported - no IT dept. or at least one that will talk to you apparently. So had to spend a lot of time troubleshooting those issues on my own. Policy and strategy is a moving target. Damn near impossible to get a straight answer on anything. upper management very disconnected from the troops on the ground (typical) but are starting to figure out what works in one region does not necessarily work in another. Bottom Line: we are told that this is a pioneer company in the solar industry with long stable history - but everyone is new - so how does that work? Where is the "institutional knowledge?" Floundering.

Get more consistent on policy and strategy. understand regions have different needs and customer bases are different. focus more on how to support the revenue generators for the company and less on (failed) branding, mergers and acquisition, adding yet another in a host of financial partners - get control of - or have some marketing - know one knows who the hell we are. And get control of Lead Generation - you need to bring that in house and not rely on third rate, third party companies for Leads.

Executive management does not care about its employees at all.

I have been working at RGS Energy full-time

Pros

Smart, fun people in certain places.

Cons

Many different cultures mashed into one place because of continuous M & A. High turnover rate.

Listen to your employees, and stop acting like we are the problem.

Didn't come through on what was promised

I worked at RGS Energy full-time

Pros

Great work environment, nice bonus system,

Cons

They state they want employee input, but really they don't, was promised more $ on
    Hiring call, ended up that individual wasn't authorized to promise any of the such. Growing
    Faster than the equipment can handle, very little training.

Listen to the ideas we have. You never know....

Do NOT work here

Former Employee - Admin  in  Louisville, CO
    Former Employee - Admin in Louisville, CO

I worked at RGS Energy full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Co-workers are awesome for the most part, not that it matters because everyone leaves or gets laid off in 1 year
    -Great cafeteria, but that doesn't really count considering the company next door, Gaiam, actually owns it and just lets RGS employees use it
    - Private gym, but again, the company next door just lets RGS use it, so I guess 66% of the cons are actually part of working at Gaiam..... so ya, just work at Gaiam

Cons

- Lots of office politics, the only people who get promoted are the slimy type of people who are too busy brown nosing their manager's and throwing co-workers under the bus to actually get work done
    - A major lay off every 6-8 months where the company just cleans house... yet somehow the people who should get let go stay...probably a direct result of becoming best buddies with their managers while everyone else is busy getting work done.
    - Lots of pointing fingers and no one take accountability. Unless you are management, you will work long hours and get blamed for everything
    - You can't believe anything any kind of manager on any level says. Just don't believe anything because it's all B.S., and that includes anything you hear from the HR department (and don't expect HR to take anything you say seriously, if you express any kind of concern to them, you basically will have a target on your back)
    - No training. You are basically just put in a position blindly, yet somehow expected to know everything ( not that it matters because your job description isn't accurate for any position, assuming you have the same position in a couple of months. Everyone gets moved around all the time. I really can't tell you what my job title is right now because I don't know)
    - Pay raises and/or bonuses are a myth here, the only people to ever get a raise is the upper management. That includes holiday bonus, won't happen. Company holiday party consist of a lunch from subway during office hours ( literally).
    - The 'open door policy' that the management prides themselves on is also not true. Same as HR, you will have a target on your back.

Just admit that you are in the company for your own benefit and save everyone else from going to your monthly meetings full of nonsense. Everyone sees through you, do us a favor and just save us the time. Instead of the meetings, let us stay at our desk to get our work done so we don't have to stay late.

Par for the course, I think

I worked at RGS Energy

Pros

The industry (solar PV installation) is solid and growing and there are many, many good people working at the company.

Cons

I have seen a lot of turnover. Communication and strategy from higher up are not solid and committed to. However, I have experienced this with other big companies as well.

Very Poorly Managed

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at RGS Energy full-time for less than a year

Pros

The sales manager is a heck of a guy and very helpful.

Cons

The owner of the company spent far too much money on things that had nothing to do with the business which ultimately led to the company being sold to another solar company who laid off most of the sales force.

Spend your money more wisely and don't just assume that all of your employees are alpha, type-A.

DONT WASTE YOUR TIME AND PASSION INTO THIS COMPANY----DUD!!!!!!

Current Employee - Energy Broker  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Energy Broker in San Diego, CA

I have been working at RGS Energy full-time for less than a year

Pros

Laptop, expenses and a salary for 4 months . But in many cases its 2 months and your gone.

Cons

Management has no glue. From a young rich CEO with no education to the all white upper management. They promise the world from the recruiter to the management and its all about sign as many deals as you can and then when you do the commission is so low its less then they pay Joe blow off the street which is $500.00... Everyone is acting and being quite and taking as much money as they can. Dead end that comes up fast... They sent out 3 Top people Senior Sales Director and back up and CEO residential non of them closed one deal while here. They went on over 10 ride alongs. Including a 70K deal I had in Desert... NO CLOSINGS!!!!!!

My advise is to stock holders to be ware... You have a 30 year old company with stock under $5.00 and then you have a company like Solar City only 8 years old stock at $65.00 Plus per share. They ship panels from east to west and west to east and everyone acts busy but there is no business????????????????????
    SMOKE AND MIRRORS....

Worked for RGS Energy? Contribute to the Community!