RGS Energy Reviews

Making a turnaround

Current Employee - Operations Specialist in Louisville, CO
    Current Employee - Operations Specialist in Louisville, CO

I have been working at RGS Energy full-time

Pros

My hours are flexible and my benefits are an improvement over what I had at my last job. My coworkers and manager are very friendly and easy to work with. I'm part of the team that's really working well in the company. Management has recently changed and the new guard has a direction and good ideas.

Cons

My prospects for advancement are slim unless serious growth occurs soon. Which it might.
    I hate commuting on Highway 36 under construction.

Focus more on training at hire and throughout an employee's tenure.

The Good, Bad, & Ugly

I have been working at RGS Energy full-time

Pros

Great legacy and brand name in the industry, loyal and professional staff, delivers a fantastic product and thus has a good reputation among customers and peers.

Cons

Inter-departmental communication, agility and capacity to handle bandwidth of pipeline and backlog, disconnected internally with estimating, no organized financing methodology.

Goals should be transparent and supported by a structure, process, and people.

Managing residential solar construction teams and projects

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at RGS Energy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

socially important and growing industry

Cons

tight budgets and timeframes, long work days

Good people, horrible C suite

Former Employee - Project Manager in San Rafael, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in San Rafael, CA

I worked at RGS Energy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A lot of great people work here. With all the turnover it's easy to get a foot into the solar biz here.

Cons

Clueless, secretive management. Constant turnover, new initiatives that don't work and massive losses.
    Just look up RGSE and look at the financials. Train wreck.

No hope for these guys. The board needs to wake up and hire managers with construction and solar experience so they can make the company vaguely efficient again.

RGS Energy is a Sinking Ship

Former Employee - Inside Sales/ECommerce Energy Broker in Louisville, CO
    Former Employee - Inside Sales/ECommerce Energy Broker in Louisville, CO

I worked at RGS Energy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- company history, but that doesn't mean much today
    - new CEO seems competent, but saving this company will be a tremendous task
    - the corporate office has a nice cafeteria thanks to Gaim, who they lease office space from

Cons

please accept my brevity
    where to begin!! there are countless issues internally..
    - they cannot compete on price with SolarCity and several other competitors and therefore are not competitive in the residential market, which is their main focus now.. you can only sell the value statement so much
    - dysfunctional/ unqualified management, especially in sales.. don’t believe their lies about how much you can sell.. no one consistently achieves sales goals and earns bonuses, which is the only way to earn a livable wage there
    - bad company culture.. the new CEO had everyone complete a survey.. results were abysmal.. the large majority of people said they would not recommend working at this company to others
    - horrible IT department, phone issues constantly in the corporate office and cell phones don’t work in the building and they’ve been trying to fix this for practically a year
    - incompetent marketing department and very little budget spent on marketing.. you wouldn’t believe some of the materials they came up with
    - very bad trainings.. unorganized and throw ‘em to the wolves mentality, which is very damaging to company reputation and consistency is horrible.. everyone just does their own thing
    - horrible work environment in short walled cubicles.. you can hear 10+ people at any given time on the sales floor
    - embarrassing proposal format... multiple issues with it from layout to a highly pixilated logo
    - pass the ball mentality in many departments or “we’re working on it”
    - weak HR department.. I had to guide the team through the on boarding process, as they failed to deliver many documents, etc.
    - information silos.. bad communication from department to department
    - almost everyone is underpaid and disgruntled
    - the company is not profitable
    - their recent SEC filings show a huge cash flow problem
    - stock value has plummeted drastically
    - overall this company was a nightmare to work for and I’m so glad to be off this sinking ship. As many analysts predict, I predict bankruptcy and liquidation of assets or acquisition in the near future, but I can’t imagine any competent company wanting to acquire RGS Energy
    - human to human.. I recommend you stay away from this company!

- read what I have written here and react (I know you won't)

Energy Broker

Former Employee - Energy Broer
    Former Employee - Energy Broer

I worked at RGS Energy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Company was a hold over from the old days of solar, so they pitched themselves as having a soul and caring about solar, when in actuality they were run by an extremely short sighted narcissist and guys who had had some success in a region where there had been no competition.

Cons

upper management is a disaster on an epic scale. Left because company was clearly rudderless and very difficult to work for. Executive management who didnt know the industry was based out of the bay area (CA), corporate HQ was in Colorado, and the company was being run by guys from Missouri.

Know anything about your industry.

This place is a complete joke!

I have been working at RGS Energy

Pros

Great industry, unfortunately these people will never get the pieces put together and will be flushed out by the competition.

Cons

Lazy staff, clickish, unwillingness to work together for anything, continually make extreme changes without proper training for sales team, and most execs on nothing more than a power trip. The company has done nothing but loose money since going public while all the other larger companies are flourishing. Huh, I wonder why. As a top salesman in every industry I have been in never have I been treated so poorly and just hated my job more than this toxic waste land.

Sell your stock and get out while you can!

Good experience with company supporting the team even through economic downturn.

Former Employee - Systems Designer in Larkspur, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Designer in Larkspur, CA

I worked at RGS Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company has been in business for over two decades. That equals deep experience in the field which helps win customer deals and customer confidence.

Cons

Depending on job daily travel distance can be extensive and days can be long. Job may require you to work long hours and nights.

Keep up the good work. Continue to add work automation that creates work efficiency in the office and in the field.

The mission of this company is to make money - customers and employees are NOT priorities.

I worked at RGS Energy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Awesome location, beautiful little town outside of Boulder. All the people not in management are fun and easy going. Nice building, great food in the cafe.

Cons

Management is terrible. The company has gone through a complete culture change and the goal of the company now is to make money, that's it.

Talk to other people in the office, get to know your employees, develop trust.

Outside

I have been working at RGS Energy

Pros

You get to work outside in vermont

Cons

it gets cold in the winter.