RGS Energy Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.3
Dennis Lacey

Pros
  • Some very good people work here that seem to care and want you to succeed (in 4 reviews)

• Great work environment, nice bonus system, (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management is a disaster on an epic scale (in 8 reviews)

• Lots of pointing fingers and no one take accountability (in 3 reviews)

1. Decent Solar Company

Former Employee - Design Engineer in Louisville, CO
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in Louisville, CO

I worked at RGS Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great engineering team. Flexible work schedule.

Cons

Limited flexibility in work location for engineering positions.

2. Senior Energy Broker

Former Employee - Senior Energy Broker in Louisville, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Energy Broker in Louisville, CO

I worked at RGS Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great lunchroom experience, decent benefits, met a lot of great people working there....most all of whom have moved on and learned from their mistake of not leaving sooner.

Cons

Our smaller solar company was bought out by RGS. This transition ultimately led to RGS's demise and loss of millions of dollars due a few employees who had no business being in their operations role. Client's solar rebate applications were never filed for 100's of systems, leaving the sales teams to resign contracts multiple times over the course of many months. Red flags were showing daily but management (CEO) refused to listen to the warning signs coming from below. After merging the two companies, the "new" RGS Management made unreasonable demands regarding time spent in the office (moving to Boulder became necessary) vs. our prior policy before acquisition, which was: go out and sell things and come in when you need to.

Advice to Management

I learned a lot about selling "remotely" (over the phone) and that it can actually work...but don't forget that most people find comfort in the good old fashioned human experience. Sales teams should be out selling things, not stuck in an office making 100's of calls a day to people in California who are sick of being solicited by "solar guys". Fire people that aren't doing their jobs instead of brushing it under the rug.

3. Abundant Opportunities

I have been working at RGS Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company is at the tail end of a major turnaround effort and there are a lot of opportunities to move up quickly, fill in the gaps and make an impact. Challenges are abundant which makes this a great location to grow one's abilities. Management listens to those who have proven they are knowledgeable in a given area. Exciting industry to work in and enables you to have a positive impact on society. Restructuring atmosphere certainly isn't for everyone so it's understandable why there would be some bad reviews over the last year

Cons

Reputation is in recovery mode Communication from the top down was lacking, but improving Continually changing environment can wear on you, but that's the general nature of the solar industry

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees and continue to promote from within to those who deserve it. Continually update SOP catalog and training materials

Hater's gonna Hate

Current Employee - Energy Advisor in Louisville, CO
    Current Employee - Energy Advisor in Louisville, CO

I have been working at RGS Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Incredible opportunity in the solar industry in a company with a long history going through a tough time, but turning things around a little bit each day.

Cons

Tough overcoming negative perceptions of the company based on poor decisions by past management that is no longer here, but we're cleaning up their mess. Its pretty easy to figure out who the negative posts on here came from, and much of what they say is grossly overstated or just wrong. The company is better off without them, they will be just as unhappy at their next job, since they were haters, and haters gonna hate.

Advice to Management

Invest more in ongoing training, and building and maintaining a SOP library

6. Senior Sales

Current Employee - Senior Sales in East Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Senior Sales in East Providence, RI

I have been working at RGS Energy full-time

Pros

Core Strengths: Experienced, knowledgeable installation Teams; Code compliant Engineering Depts.; Helped save several US Photovoltaic (PV) manufacturer's existence with procurement commitments; Financially savvy senior management; Experience as a pioneer in the industry since the late 70's

Cons

Must work for your money- no freeloaders here.

Advice to Management

Communicate with field personnel- Customers are priority #1. The Solar experience is win-win- creates jobs, saves money, also reduces national dependency on foreign imported sources of energy

Trending up

Current Employee - Energy Broker in Louisville, CO
    Current Employee - Energy Broker in Louisville, CO

I have been working at RGS Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast growing industry with an awesome product to sell. Good opportunity to make money if you put the work in. Company has made a lot of changes in the last year, which has caused some growing pains, but things are trending in the right direction. Good people at the office in Colorado. You can bring your dog to work.

Cons

Training and communication between sales and operations could be improved.

Advice to Management

Continue to empower your employees and promote from within.

Supervising Lead Generator

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I worked at RGS Energy (More than a year)

Pros

Loved my supervisor who trusted me to go the next level even without experience. Traveled to events.

Cons

Not enough training. Wish they taught more on sales.

Advice to Management

Go through a step-by-step process of how staffing an event should look.

Good people not in high places

Former Employee - Solar Power Consultant in Louisville, CO
    Former Employee - Solar Power Consultant in Louisville, CO

I worked at RGS Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the eco side of things is a mess and they need lower management to guide them correctly.

Cons

almost complete deletion of company

Advice to Management

listen to sales and people on the ground floor

Energy Advisor

Former Employee - Senior Team Lead, Energy Advisor in Louisville, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Team Lead, Energy Advisor in Louisville, CO

I worked at RGS Energy (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast growing, dynamic company in growing solar industry.

Cons

Poorly managed, strategic direction of company unclear. Volatile and unpredictable.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect and become profitable.

Sad to leave, but completely necessary

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, CO

I worked at RGS Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had an awesome relationship with my fellow employees. We all supported each other through the extreme lack of communication from upper management.

Cons

We never knew who was going to be the next to go. It was like an episode of Survivor, where everyone worked their butt's off, but in the end, someone was going home no matter the effort involved. The layoffs made no sense. They let go so many amazing and knowledgeable employees and left the subpar ones who eventually quit anyway. I left of my own accord in April, which turned out to be a good decision because it's about 95% likely that I would have been laid off as well. Working in a culture like that is just not conducive to happy, loyal employees. It just makes me sad that so many great people are still working in that environment and being treated poorly.

Advice to Management

I know it's difficult since you are a public company, but just be open and honest with your employees. People don't understand where your decisions are coming from and therefore don't trust you.

RSS Feed </> Embed