RGS Energy

RGS Energy Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

RGS Energy CEO Kam Mofid

Kam Mofid

Good experience with company supporting the team even through economic downturn.

Systems Designer (Former Employee) Larkspur, CA

ProsCompany has been in business for over two decades. That equals deep experience in the field which helps win customer deals and customer confidence.

ConsDepending on job daily travel distance can be extensive and days can be long. Job may require you to work long hours and nights.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. Continue to add work automation that creates work efficiency in the office and in the field.

The mission of this company is to make money - customers and employees are NOT priorities.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAwesome location, beautiful little town outside of Boulder. All the people not in management are fun and easy going. Nice building, great food in the cafe.

ConsManagement is terrible. The company has gone through a complete culture change and the goal of the company now is to make money, that's it.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to other people in the office, get to know your employees, develop trust.

Outside

ProsYou get to work outside in vermont

Consit gets cold in the winter.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A longstanding, once honorable competitor, in M&A chaos/disfunction - complete reboot.

Energy Broker (Current Employee)

ProsHave a fair amount of freedom working from home mostly and on the road. Sales people have a great story to tell about the tenure and history of the company in the market. They do carry good products usually. The installation teams do really good work. My boss is cool. They are learning to use some pretty cool technology tools. Have a huge range of financial strategic partners.

ConsPretty much nothing was like what I was told coming in to this company. Failed delivery of many components for success. Training was pretty inadequate, but they are trying. Very little support. The work tool technology was not supported - no IT dept. or at least one that will talk to you apparently. So had to spend a lot of time troubleshooting those issues on my own. Policy and strategy is a moving target. Damn near impossible to get a straight answer on anything. upper management very disconnected from the troops on the ground (typical) but are starting to figure out what works in one region does not necessarily work in another. Bottom Line: we are told that this is a pioneer company in the solar industry with long stable history - but everyone is new - so how does that work? Where is the "institutional knowledge?" Floundering.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more consistent on policy and strategy. understand regions have different needs and customer bases are different. focus more on how to support the revenue generators for the company and less on (failed) branding, mergers and acquisition, adding yet another in a host of financial partners - get control of - or have some marketing - know one knows who the hell we are. And get control of Lead Generation - you need to bring that in house and not rely on third rate, third party companies for Leads.

Executive management does not care about its employees at all.

ProsSmart, fun people in certain places.

ConsMany different cultures mashed into one place because of continuous M & A. High turnover rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees, and stop acting like we are the problem.

Didn't come through on what was promised

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat work environment, nice bonus system,

ConsThey state they want employee input, but really they don't, was promised more $ on
    Hiring call, ended up that individual wasn't authorized to promise any of the such. Growing
    Faster than the equipment can handle, very little training.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the ideas we have. You never know....

Par for the course, I think

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe industry (solar PV installation) is solid and growing and there are many, many good people working at the company.

ConsI have seen a lot of turnover. Communication and strategy from higher up are not solid and committed to. However, I have experienced this with other big companies as well.

Do NOT work here

Admin (Former Employee) Louisville, CO

Pros-Co-workers are awesome for the most part, not that it matters because everyone leaves or gets laid off in 1 year
    -Great cafeteria, but that doesn't really count considering the company next door, Gaiam, actually owns it and just lets RGS employees use it
    - Private gym, but again, the company next door just lets RGS use it, so I guess 66% of the cons are actually part of working at Gaiam..... so ya, just work at Gaiam

Cons- Lots of office politics, the only people who get promoted are the slimy type of people who are too busy brown nosing their manager's and throwing co-workers under the bus to actually get work done
    - A major lay off every 6-8 months where the company just cleans house... yet somehow the people who should get let go stay...probably a direct result of becoming best buddies with their managers while everyone else is busy getting work done.
    - Lots of pointing fingers and no one take accountability. Unless you are management, you will work long hours and get blamed for everything
    - You can't believe anything any kind of manager on any level says. Just don't believe anything because it's all B.S., and that includes anything you hear from the HR department (and don't expect HR to take anything you say seriously, if you express any kind of concern to them, you basically will have a target on your back)
    - No training. You are basically just put in a position blindly, yet somehow expected to know everything ( not that it matters because your job description isn't accurate for any position, assuming you have the same position in a couple of months. Everyone gets moved around all the time. I really can't tell you what my job title is right now because I don't know)
    - Pay raises and/or bonuses are a myth here, the only people to ever get a raise is the upper management. That includes holiday bonus, won't happen. Company holiday party consist of a lunch from subway during office hours ( literally).
    - The 'open door policy' that the management prides themselves on is also not true. Same as HR, you will have a target on your back.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust admit that you are in the company for your own benefit and save everyone else from going to your monthly meetings full of nonsense. Everyone sees through you, do us a favor and just save us the time. Instead of the meetings, let us stay at our desk to get our work done so we don't have to stay late.

Very Poorly Managed

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsThe sales manager is a heck of a guy and very helpful.

ConsThe owner of the company spent far too much money on things that had nothing to do with the business which ultimately led to the company being sold to another solar company who laid off most of the sales force.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend your money more wisely and don't just assume that all of your employees are alpha, type-A.

Ton of opportunity, great new management with visionary abilities

ProsBig goals, dedicated team, and an overall ability to accomplish

ConsInfrastructure seems to be being redesigned, creating a difficult work environment. Lack of systems and support from most departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementPrioritize responsibilities and needs

Worked for RGS Energy? Contribute to the Community!