RHA Behavioral Health Reviews

Gordon Simmons

1. RHA COUNSELORS

Current Employee - Counselor in Fayetteville, NC
    Current Employee - Counselor in Fayetteville, NC

I have been working at RHA Behavioral Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits (insurance offered is BCBS of GA--a bit of a problem due to being in NC).

Cons

Rediculous amount of paperwork. Communication is terrible. Non Licensed personnel seem to be extremely insecure.

Advice to Management

Say what you mean and mean what you say! Trust that you hired the right employee for the job and then give him as much information as you can so that he can do his job well.

2. Disorganized

I have been working at RHA Behavioral Health full-time

Pros

Served a huge need in area located. Peers worked tirelessly to do all they could for clients given work environment restrictions. Good PDO rate earned each pay period

Cons

Management unsupportive, unrealistic in demands, Highly disorganized. Reputation in community extremely poor with clients and others. Little room for growth internally due to mgmt issues.

Advice to Management

Person centered treatment and a review of procedures in place. Restore reputation in communities and provide quality services clients deserve and need desperately

Culture of fear and intimidation!

Former Employee - Management, Residential Services in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Management, Residential Services in Raleigh, NC

I worked at RHA Behavioral Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Corporate expense account, free alcohol at company sponsored events, learning the hard way what to avoid in your next job search.

Cons

Ridiculous policies, middle management who know just enough to be dangerous, and a have/have not culture between management and line staff.

Advice to Management

You are not better than your front line staff. Really.

A job of last resort. Stay Away!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at RHA Behavioral Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The clients, and some of the house managers and staff that you will work with on shift. I'm at a loss for any other positive thing to note.

Cons

Literally anything pertaining to the corporate office, or the local administration office. The corporate office is greed driven, and the local administration positions are filled with people who are completely out of their depth. There isn't an effective chain of command in place at the local level and as a result issues, especially employee related issues are never resolved. The lower level positions are 90% filled with African Immigrants which also causes a problem in that it keeps the wages down. They are for the most part wonderful people, but they lack the understanding of what it means to be an American Worker. They settle for 1990 wages in a 2014 world. As a result they often work multiple jobs, with multiple agencies, working 80 plus hours a week, and producing substandard work. You will find a great majority of these workers having to sleep on the job. But be that as it may, it aides corporate in their mission to keep overhead at a minimum. In turn RHA and just about all of these agencies will blame state cut backs for the flat wages and other issues a worker might face in this industry. I find it amusing though that upper level administrators and those at the corporate office have no problem giving themselves ridiculous bonuses, take notice that you will not receive regular raises while in RHA's employ. There have been no raises since 2008. There was a rather lack luster bonus in 2010 but it was almost a slap in the face, an insult. There hasn't been a raise for lower level workers since 2008. As of 2014 the corporate office is supposedly looking to correct this but nothing has happened to date. When the economy and jobs return in this area I'll drop RHA like a bad habit.

Advice to Management

What would it even matter? At this rate one can only warn people who are seeking viable job opportunities... Try paying a living wage.

6. Asheville office is Rockin

Current Employee - Qualified Professional in Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - Qualified Professional in Asheville, NC

I have been working at RHA Behavioral Health full-time

Pros

My manager is laid back and helpful. Upper management isn't micromanagers. Regional manager, Jay, is super cool and invests in his employees. I feel like when I graduate with my master's there will be so much opportunity for me and they will be willing to invest in my future. Clients I have are super cool and I am SO glad I landed with RHA.

Cons

Changes coming from the MCO have made the entire organization chaotic.

Advice to Management

Consider merit based raises.

7. Caring Teammates

I have been working at RHA Behavioral Health full-time

Pros

Within my regional unit there is support and backup. The unit works as a team. Immediate supervisors/management are caring and supportive. They are approachable. They understand when life stressors occur.
    Good insurance program with wellness incentives. Agency promotes employee health and wellness.

Cons

Management above our unit are micromanagers over our regional management.
    I have never seen a written policy and procedure manual. .
    Staff are expected to meet productivity quota but there is no consideration or compensatory time allowed for hours worked in excess of 40 hours to meet expectations. 8 hours earned each paycheck for paid time off to use for sick leave and vacation; must also use for paid holidays. No designated Easter holiday.

Advice to Management

Appreciate and trust your regional supervisors and managers. Compile a concise and complete policy and procedure manual.

Jun 17, 2014HR Director

Thank you for your review. It is good to see you are finding your employment at RHA rewarding and you value the benefits program. We pay for all time worked if you are being encouraged to not ... More

8. Making a difference in the community

I have been working at RHA Behavioral Health full-time

Pros

RHA Behavioral Health does a lot of good with very little resources. I have seen dedicated professionals change peoples lives for the better.

Cons

The services we provide don't get enough funding from the state to pay employees what they deserve.

Advice to Management

Explore pay for performance and use modern communication tools.

9. Laid Off Everybody!

Former Employee - Qualified Professional in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Qualified Professional in Charlotte, NC

I worked at RHA Behavioral Health full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The Pay was Good! The facility is nice.

Cons

They only had Written Paper Checks. Not knowing if you were going to get paid and employees and having to wait for hours to receive a check was scary. Last year they laid off over 50 people. People were mothers, fathers, newly hired, pregnant, and a few just relocated for the position. They offered no consideration and basically lied to everyone. I was laid off 2 months after being hired. It was a disgrace. It's even sad they are still posting new jobs. Reconsider this company.

Advice to Management

Either stop hiring or shut the company down. You are turning employees into clients because you cause financial and mental stress!

10. Have your own agenda for professionalism

Former Employee - Team Leader in Concord, NC
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Concord, NC

I worked at RHA Behavioral Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work from home. Good people to work with who care for clients.

Cons

work-life balance, benefits, salary, competion from nonlicensed employees for postitions.

Advice to Management

Pay your people their worth and they will stay to work for you. You are not competing in the marketplace.

Jun 17, 2014HR Director

Employee compensation is a priority for RHA. We are constantly looking at ways to decrease unnecessary expenses and more efficient to be able to give employees pay increases. With state funding of ... More

11. Clients First

Former Employee - Direct Support Associate in Statesville, NC
    Former Employee - Direct Support Associate in Statesville, NC

I worked at RHA Behavioral Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

As a not-for-profit organization, the clients always come first. Excess budget money was always spent on them for new furniture and always met their needs.

Cons

Overtime can generally burn you out quickly. Home Managers have limited skills, and can ride you!

Jun 17, 2014HR Director

Thank you for your response. I agree with you, the people we support always come first. I see it everyday working in the corporate office. Every decision that is made has the people we support at ... More

RHA Behavioral Health Photos