RISI Reviews

1. Great company to work for

Current Employee - Director, Macroeconomics in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Director, Macroeconomics in Bedford, MA

I have been working at RISI

Pros

My experience at RISI has been very positive. I have learned a great deal from my colleagues, many of whom are economists with decades of experience. People are very open to helping and very collaborative. Good mix of older and young gives the company a very interesting vibe. Interesting travel

Cons

Salaries are not the best. Initially, i was somewhat thrown into the deep end of the pool without much support, although that changed fairly quickly.

Advice to Management

New management has done a good job of ramping up the company, and coming up with new products and offerings. My one piece of advice would be to revise the salary structure to retain key people

Really an amazing company, great brand, high level of integrity and fun!

Current Employee - Management in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Management in Boston, MA

I have been working at RISI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Customers NEED our products - we are the dominant player in the forest products market research industry. High level of Integrity - the economists are really good at forecasting and our journalists great at breaking news & price reporting, and we never compromise on questions of integrity. Sales team structure is improving and we are getting more focused on getting the value we deserve from customers. Opportunities abound - we are working through some difficult challenges and seeing some aggressive growth as a result which is really intense and exciting at the same time! New Customer Packages - we've recently redesigned our products suite to make it easier for clients to buy and for sales reps to sell, and this seems to be working extremely well.

Cons

Our customer data [CRM] is a bit discombobulated. We have too many customer databases and as a result it can be hard for our sales reps to sell to the right companies, and for our customers to get to the right sales rep in an orderly fashion. Once we fix this challenge, we can grow even faster!

Advice to Management

Keep charging forward, and continue to invest in our great products, and more sales people to sell them.

Nice place to work

I have been working at RISI

Pros

- flexible hours - very good sick leave - decent vacation - lots of challenging work

Cons

- not a lot of opportunities for advancement (small company) - salaries a little low compared to market - technology a bit dated (but they are working to improve)

5. Great place for recent graduate

Current Employee - Associate Economist in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Associate Economist in Bedford, MA

I have been working at RISI

Pros

Great work/life balance. Flexible working hours. Great company culture. A lot of challenging projects.

Cons

Communication between departments. Need to raise salary.

6. Great company, Love the work atmosphere (work with smart, down-to-earth and fun people).

I have been working at RISI full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Great co-workers, strong team spirit and positive energy. - HR did a great job helping their employees. - Open communication from Higher level management. - Excellent Work-life balance. - Growing company - I have been work at RISI for more than 4 years and I have confidence in the current top management structure. They are showing a strong leadership and bring the company to successful level.

Cons

- Need to raise the salary. - Need a room for job growth.

7. Fine place to work.

I have been working at RISI

Pros

- Excellent in terms of work/life balance: flexible hours, ample vacation time, and the option to work from home. - A fun environment: multiple social events each month. - Friendly coworkers.

Cons

- Career development path is unclear. - Technology is dated.

8. Overall positive work environment with great employees, but with continuous change throughout.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA

I have been working at RISI full-time

Pros

Leading company in the forestry products information industry Flexible work scheduling and casual dress code Adequate benefits/time off provided Overall positive work environment

Cons

Vast amount of job turnover the past few years (within management and lower level employees) Very limited room for job growth Raises never more than cost of living increase Not enough training provided for employees Some processes still way behind the curve technologically

9. In general, a positive, rewarding experience, working with quality co-workers and for a reputable firm.

Current Employee - Editor
    Current Employee - Editor

I have been working at RISI

Pros

I enjoy independence and flexibility in my work area; feel I'm valued and respected by the company. We do appreciate the big-picture perspective provided regularly by the last two CEOs. A great place to work, all things considered.

Cons

Sometimes, the autonomy (we appreciate) leaves us disconnected from others in the company: We seldom bring together Indices and EA staff. Too much silo-effect. And we are insufficiently connected with our department managers. Example: we may not hear if our specific products are underperforming - or outperforming. More importantly, we lack clear leadership in some areas. Wish we had a 'champion' to grow our products and also deal with competitors...Often feel the NL content teams are under-staffed - while sales and marketing enjoys several new hires.

Advice to Management

Content is king - yet we are under-staffed in some areas. Let's provide staff resources (and leadership) to make this a reality.

10. A lot people changes at the company and will continue; could be tough if join the wrong team

I have been working at RISI full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A leader in the information business for the industry it covers; Travel globally if on sales team or content team; Work style are flexible, dress code are casual, and for some offices and positions (it is a global company, albeit small), compensation and other benefits may be also good; Still some smart people and hard worker

Cons

Wrong team means 'the service you joined are not on the new management team's favor'; Have changed management team for 3 times in 4 years, and for the initiatives laid out by new management some units are bearing cost burden owing to some low-performing units as cut is one-size-fits-all; Given that it is small but a global company, lack of leadership and sense of direction in some regional offices, and business; Lack of formal training due to its company size, and very complicated company structure (each unit is like running its own business, so a lot internal fights and politics) No formal evaluation on the content team side, nor any measurements relating to the assessment of capability and achievements; that means most promotions are due to structure changes, or win favors by personally close to the management team; Work/life balances are also bad for some work functions, and resource supports are limited as the company's allocation on resource is sort biased or put in the wrong direction;

Advice to Management

Listen to the manager level people who have potential or manage implementations or changes for the company initiatives (but first, identify and exclude managers who are only caretakers or just do 9-5am work; At least set up a system that fairly evaluates resource allocation and employee's achievements (no clear growth path, and lack of benefits for talented people, you will lose all of them); If you are not familiar with a particular business or region, then think twice and wisely, don't just throw in resource on one particular unit/person, and expect miracle to happen, this was proved wrong....then why continue trying the same way?

Flexible workplace with great work/life balance

I have been working at RISI

Pros

- Benefits are fantastic - Flexible workplace- Casual dress and flex time available - Innovative - Great work/life balance - Compensation is competitive - Room for growth - Growing company

Cons

- Sometimes the technology has a tough time keeping up with all the changes - Internal communication could be improved between departments

RSS Feed </> Embed