RISI

Updated December 25, 2014
Updated December 25, 2014
3.7

Charles Rutstein

Flexible workplace with great work/life balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA

I have been working at RISI

Pros

- Benefits are fantastic
    - Flexible workplace- Casual dress and flex time available
    - Innovative
    - Great work/life balance
    - Compensation is competitive
    - Room for growth
    - Growing company

Cons

- Sometimes the technology has a tough time keeping up with all the changes
    - Internal communication could be improved between departments

A lot people changes at the company and will continue; could be tough if join the wrong team

I have been working at RISI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A leader in the information business for the industry it covers;
    Travel globally if on sales team or content team;
    Work style are flexible, dress code are casual, and for some offices and positions (it is a global company, albeit small), compensation and other benefits may be also good;
    Still some smart people and hard worker

Cons

Wrong team means 'the service you joined are not on the new management team's favor';
    Have changed management team for 3 times in 4 years, and for the initiatives laid out by new management some units are bearing cost burden owing to some low-performing units as cut is one-size-fits-all;
    Given that it is small but a global company, lack of leadership and sense of direction in some regional offices, and business;
    Lack of formal training due to its company size, and very complicated company structure (each unit is like running its own business, so a lot internal fights and politics)
    No formal evaluation on the content team side, nor any measurements relating to the assessment of capability and achievements; that means most promotions are due to structure changes, or win favors by personally close to the management team;
    Work/life balances are also bad for some work functions, and resource supports are limited as the company's allocation on resource is sort biased or put in the wrong direction;

Listen to the manager level people who have potential or manage implementations or changes for the company initiatives (but first, identify and exclude managers who are only caretakers or just do 9-5am work;
    At least set up a system that fairly evaluates resource allocation and employee's achievements (no clear growth path, and lack of benefits for talented people, you will lose all of them);
    If you are not familiar with a particular business or region, then think twice and wisely, don't just throw in resource on one particular unit/person, and expect miracle to happen, this was proved wrong....then why continue trying the same way?

Company is improving but still has a ways to go

I worked at RISI full-time

Pros

- Health and time off benefits are great
    - Global company
    - Work/life balance
    - Ability to travel if in sales or parts of content team
    - Recent changes to management seem positive

Cons

- Systems are archaic making simple reporting/tracking difficult
    - Very egocentric culture
    - Extremely political environment
    - Salaries are below average
    - Limited resources - it can be hard to do your job effectively with what's been given to you
    - Mature industry so not a ton of growth
    - Risk adverse management
    - Cheap, cheap, cheap

Don't just say you appreciate people who are smart and work hard. Do something to keep them. INVEST in your people, both financially and professionally. You're not going to keep ambitious people if you don't offer them opportunities to grow professionally and achieve more. Also, if you want to gain huge reward, you've got to be willing to take some risk. Doing the same thing and having the same perspective year after year is not going to get you somewhere new. The company is stuck because the culture is stagnant. There's no creativity, nor is that a valued characteristic.

Fantastic Culture, Work-Life Balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA

I have been working at RISI full-time

Pros

- The culture is fantastic. People are supportive, helpful and friendly, and there are a lot of efforts put forth to keep employees happy and involved. Employees don't act like you're putting them out when you ask for help or to assist with something that doesn't necessarily fall within their job description.
    - Work-Life Balance. There's a clear understanding that unexpected things happen, or that we all have personal things to attend to, and taking that time is acceptable. There is ample vacation time and sick time, and flexibility in scheduling.
    - Casual dress
    - Recent changes in upper-management seem to have made many hopeful, and the company is taking a needed change in growth and decisiveness.
    - Benefits are above average in both coverage and employee cost.
    - Transparency. Numbers, goals and plans are shared during monthly meetings.

Cons

- Salary seems to be more fair than competitive. Even though work-life balance and benefits are very important, salary also plays a big role in making people feel valued and happy.
    - There needs to be a heavy focus on updated and relevant technology. The company will need to invest in more updated and modern software to make things easier and more efficient for employees (though it seems that upper management changes are now putting effort into this), as well as to attract and retain employees.
    - Industry/departmental training and processes need work. There seems to be a lapse in continuity of training across departments. More processes need to be recorded, too, so as to promote ease for new hires or those moving into a position.

Continue to invest in moving the company forward on the technology and dev side to keep RISI at the top. Also, invest more in recognition programs and come up with more ways to celebrate achievements (even thing without/with little cost) - don't discount how much the little things make a big impact.

Small legacy company with a renewed focus on growth.

Current Employee - Economist in Bedford, MA

I have been working at RISI full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent work-life balance with many perks. Flexible work environment with a work hard play hard feel. Opportunities to work directly with industry experts, interact closely with clients and hone analysis skills. Senior management keeps lines of communication open and is very good about sharing progress along the way as we work toward annual targets.

Cons

On the job training is minimal and many on the management team are involved in the day to day so personal/career growth is really on your own shoulders (no one is going to hold your hand along the way), but I do not think this uncommon among other companies.

Good work-life balance, though a very steep learning curve for newcomers to the industry

Current Employee - Economist in Bedford, MA

I have been working at RISI full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent opportunities to travel
    Learn applied economic analysis from leading experts in forest products
    Contribute to a variety of projects from day one
    Strong emphasis on work-life balance
    Above average vacation/holiday's compared to other companies
    Excellent staff and positive office environment

Cons

Pay and benefits could use a lift for new analysts/economists
    Some senior content producers difficult to work with
    Location outside Boston, hard to access via public transit
    Data systems archaic for an information management company
    Steep learning curve for new employees given the industry and data systems...sink or swim situation in some cases

Don't undervalue your young employees, they are the future of the company. Focus on new employee training to prevent high turnover as well

This is the seventh company I have worked for and by far the best.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA

I have been working at RISI (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent company to work for. Everyone is dedicated and hardworking, but understand there is life outside of work. Risi is an international company, but still small enough to know everyone and work with other departments to efficiently complete tasks. Benefits are good and getting better. Just this summer a grill was bought and we have cookouts weekly. Also, the Friday before long summer weekends are now 1/2 days.

Cons

Some turnover in 2013, but has been stabilized since. I have been here over a year, the newness has worn off and I have no complaints.

Strive to keep the current culture in place.

Many cracks behind the facade

Former Employee - Economist
    Former Employee - Economist

I worked at RISI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

casual work environment, travel to major international cities, opportunity for exposure to forest products industry

Cons

While some economists praise the work life balance at RISI this is just a reflection of the overall lack of drive the company and employees have. In general this is an ok place to gain experience but not the right choice for any truly ambitious economists.

A complete restructuring of upper management is needed to achieve any future business success

Awesome!!! I loved working at RISI and I miss everyone there!!

Former Employee - Senior Production Specialist in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Production Specialist in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at RISI full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, great benefits, great job. I would go back right away if they called me.

Cons

None.........I loved working at RISI!! RISI is a great place to be employed and I was there over 17 years, the only bad experience was my lay off, a manager called me on my cell phone on my day off to tell me I was being laid off. That is an experience I don't want to go through again.

More notice when a lay off is about to happen. Don't treat employees (after 17 years there) as if they weren't important to the company.

Thought the grass was greener elsewhere, so I looked, but it's not.

Current Employee - A Content Producer in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - A Content Producer in Bedford, MA

I have been working at RISI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Goal oriented group, work habits are about delivering things, not about 9-5. Good flexibility. I learn a lot, which are all reasons I am still here. Can be a global perspective depending on what you do.

Cons

Some hard personalities to deal with. Everyone is nice and very respectful, but some older employees are inflexible and because it's a mid sized business it is hard to deal with.`

Trust employees more. Something feels slow right now -- what aren't you telling us???