RIT (Rochester Institute of Technology)

www.rit.edu
  www.rit.edu

RIT (Rochester Institute of Technology) Reviews

Updated December 22, 2014
Updated December 22, 2014
4.1

RIT (Rochester Institute of Technology) President William W. Destler
William W. Destler

Pros
  • You learn a lot from group members and from the supervisor in my case the director (in 4 reviews)

• great place to work for 10 years (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work that makes a good environment for students and fellow faculty and staff does not count (nor does teaching) (in 3 reviews)

• I did not have a chance to receive any benefits due to not being full time employee, but I heard the other employees and the benefits were very good (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

in general, RIT is a good technology school and is trying to become an research based univerity

I have been working at RIT (Rochester Institute of Technology)

Pros

everyone is very nice, the gym is great

Cons

tow much snow, the campus is not very beautiful

Pays you to take your classes

Former Employee - Notetaker in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Notetaker in Rochester, NY

I worked at RIT (Rochester Institute of Technology) part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Loved being able to get paid for doing what I had to do anyway: go to my classes and be attentive. Being a notetaker actually helped me focus better and made me more accountable to myself. Make sure you take notes on your laptop if you can, otherwise you may not get to keep your notes at the end of the semester.

Cons

The pay isn't worth it if you're looking for something to significantly supplement your income, but it's easy money (get paid to go to class). You don't get to clock in if there's an exam and you aren't guaranteed to have a notetaking job each semester.

Food Service employees are dedicated to their jobs

Current Employee - Food Service Employee/Student
    Current Employee - Food Service Employee/Student

I have been working at RIT (Rochester Institute of Technology) part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Everyone enjoys where they are working.

Cons

Sometimes rules must be bent.

Great place to work as a student

I worked at RIT (Rochester Institute of Technology)

Pros

Flexible around a student's classes. Full-time staff are great and easy to work with. They are willing to train you to do more if you are willing to learn.

Cons

Limited hours. As a student they have a limit on the number of hours you can work in a given week.

Salary

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Rochester, NY

I have been working at RIT (Rochester Institute of Technology) part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The Salary you get here is good when compared to other universities. The work culture is also very good.

Cons

You will not be waived to in-state tuition fee if you are an international student. YOu will not get any special scholarships.

It was okay, but bureaucratic

Former Employee - Saunders Technical Support
    Former Employee - Saunders Technical Support

I worked at RIT (Rochester Institute of Technology)

Pros

They treat their employees well, they pay decently, and they do all the usual employee beneficial events.

Cons

There is a lot of bureaucracy and nothing really ever changes.

Listen to your employees more

Great Benefits but Staff is Undervalued

Current Employee - Technician
    Current Employee - Technician

I have been working at RIT (Rochester Institute of Technology) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits are awesome, tuition/insurance/retirement/time off, better than any other place I have heard about in the area. The atmosphere is very relaxed and employees have a good deal of freedom which is really nice. It is easy to balance work stress and personal life as long as you have your email turned off when you are off the clock (otherwise faculty and students will email you all hours of the night and weekend). Working with the students is very rewarding and with so many from different cultural backgrounds, it is probably the best part.

Cons

The support staff is very undervalued by the faculty. Some of the faculty are great to work with but several of them are very demanding and/or helpless. It is very discouraging. There is also no real room for growth for technical staff. I have been here for a year and a half and don't see myself making any progress in my career within the university. There just isn't anywhere to go if you work in technical support. Hourly pay is not terrible but with an MS I am being paid similar to those here with a BS only which does not seem fair. Most departments are a disorganized mess and basically get by by doing what they can to please everyone, and that is not the way to build a solid foundation.

Get more organized. Enforce processes so that staff doesn't get taken advantage of by faculty. I understand there may not be room for growth simply because the opportunities aren't there within certain areas, but it would be nice to have more to look forward to than simply the 30 cent raise we get every year. Show more genuine appreciation toward the staff.

I have been working at RIT (Rochester Institute of Technology)

Pros

All work is On-campus work.

Cons

The time limitation is short, limited work actually.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Lab Assistant in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Lab Assistant in Rochester, NY

I worked at RIT (Rochester Institute of Technology) part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work at. Nice environment and great diversity with both deaf and hearing students. You have plenty of time to finish your work. Nice co-workers and great team players. Always there to help you and guide you. IT is a great place to work.

Cons

The pay was not the best but manageable. I did not have a chance to receive any benefits due to not being full time employee, but I heard the other employees and the benefits were very good.

Lab assistant

Current Employee - Computer Lab Assistant in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Computer Lab Assistant in Rochester, NY

Pros

relax. good pay. easy to do. there are not many trouble. you can do your own stuff.

Cons

low experience. Do not help you find other jobs.

none

RIT (Rochester Institute of Technology) Photos

Institute Hall
When RIT prepares for visitors, Destler personally decorates.
The winters are legendary.

+ Add Photo