RJ Reynolds Tobacco Holdings Reviews

CEO

1. Division Director of Planning

Former Employee - Division Director of Planning in Edison, NJ
    Former Employee - Division Director of Planning in Edison, NJ

I worked at RJ Reynolds Tobacco Holdings (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good planning and competent staff and good financing

Cons

Promotional favoritism and Resistance to innovation and change

Advice to Management

Be open to innovation Ensure fair promotions

2. Territory Manager

Former Employee - Territory Manager
    Former Employee - Territory Manager

I worked at RJ Reynolds Tobacco Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You work alone and are given the freedom to make decisions regarding your territory. I liked working out of my home, but some of my assigned outlets were far away. I loved that they provided a new vehicle that I was able to use for personal use.

Cons

You are there to drive share and nothing more. Not a very good culture and as a salaried employee, you will definitely be working more than 40 hours per week. I've heard this varies greatly depending on your manager. I was expected to be in my store before 8 and until 5, regardless of whether that outlet was an hour or two away. When I got home, there was still paperwork to be done. Each call is logged and time stamped and they expect you to be in and out of an outlet in a timely manner. Depending on your territory, you will spend a lot of your day alone on the road. There is an opportunity to advance, but it was more of a popularity contest. If your boss liked you, than there were more opportunities outside the territory manager I, II, III role. When hired you have to agree to be moved ANYWHERE and most of the positions are in smaller towns.

Advice to Management

By creating a better culture and work/life balance, people will be happier and stay longer with less turnover.

3. Scientist

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at RJ Reynolds Tobacco Holdings

Pros

Many capable and hard-working employees. More than adequate resources to accomplish corporate goals.

Cons

A managerial culture that does not value employees and is overly based on internal politicking.

Advice to Management

Look for ways to rationally evaluate and promote employees.

5. Great Pay - No Work/Life Balance

Former Employee - Trade Marketing Manager in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Trade Marketing Manager in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at RJ Reynolds Tobacco Holdings (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pros include great pay and benefits with lots of opportunity for advancement. Lots of opportunities for women, in particular.

Cons

You will have zero work life balance, senior management is extremely demanding and you will smell like a dirty ashtray every day after work as they still allow smoking throughout the building.

Advice to Management

Understand that people do not want to be married to their jobs and they have a family and life outside of RJR --- it is possible to be a successful and dedicated employee without having to answer and respond to emails, demands from unreasonable bosses at all hours of the nights, weekends and even while on vacation.

6. Great company, Poorly managed

Former Employee - Territory Manager III
    Former Employee - Territory Manager III

I worked at RJ Reynolds Tobacco Holdings

Pros

Fantastic opportunity to learn about the CPG industry

Cons

management is extremely unprofessional; gave company a bad name.

Advice to Management

the TSMs are learning; they are the front line- look at management to weed out the bad, which is dragging down the company's reputation

7. Territory Manager

Former Employee - Territory Manager III in Coppell, TX
    Former Employee - Territory Manager III in Coppell, TX

I worked at RJ Reynolds Tobacco Holdings (More than 5 years)

Pros

1) Peer relationship 2) customer relationship 3) selling products and customer engagement

Cons

1) Exclusive negative culture 2) Failure to show appreciation 3) Discrimination and racism 4) Abuse of managerial authority

Advice to Management

1) Implement a two way manager work with report to HR- DM report and TM report 2) Annual rating evaluation needs to be reviewed by HR and so is the TM remarks

8. Territory Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at RJ Reynolds Tobacco Holdings full-time

Pros

Excellent work life balance, Independence from the corp grind and freedom to execute in your territory based on needs of the business. Exciting time to be a part of RJRT.

Cons

To much freedom. Is that a con? No cons other than it is big tobacco you are working for be prepared to defend yourself or keep quiet about your career.

Advice to Management

Clear the pipeline so talented younger career oriented team members can move up within the organization.

Exciting sales, marketing, and branding jobs

Former Employee - Trade Marketing Territory Manager
    Former Employee - Trade Marketing Territory Manager

I worked at RJ Reynolds Tobacco Holdings full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great training programs. Awesome management that truly teach you to become better. Travel to some awesome places throughout the country. Good exposure to many business segments including- sales, marketing, legal, branding, account management, finance, etc. Excellent company strategy for the future. Great pay and benefits, plus company car, cell phone, etc.

Cons

Relocation is a must for advancement. Too many responsibilities added without increasing pay or benefits. I.E.- American snuff and vuse in addition to RJRT. Way too much merchandising materials needed to do a good job.

Advice to Management

Keep marketing plans simple, too many POS material changes that are unnecessary.

Great first job out of college

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Kansas City, MO

I worked at RJ Reynolds Tobacco Holdings

Pros

If you really enjoy doing remedial work that is not challenging you will love this job. Free car, cell phone allowance, internet allowance. Health care benefits are fair, but they have progressively become worse over time. Tuition reimbursement only requiring two year commitment.

Cons

The possibility for upward mobility is almost zero as the industry is declining every year. The metrics for which you are rated every year are completely subjective vs objective, meaning politics are far more important than performance. The job does not reward individual performance as the annual "bonus" is arbitrary and out of your control.

Advice to Management

Only promoting internally is causing the erosion of innovation and the eventual demise of the company. Stop promoting yes men. Today's most innovative companies are looking at leaders to question the status quo, not reinforce the old tired ways of doing business.

11. Great Company

I worked at RJ Reynolds Tobacco Holdings

Pros

Great benefits, salary, and retirement

Cons

Change did not come easy

RSS Feed </> Embed