RJLG Reviews

Reset
2.3
Richard J. Lee, Ph.D.

Great place to learn

I have been working at RJLG

Pros

- Friendly coworkers - Very knowledgeable - Great place to learn more about your industry

Cons

- Not enough raises or incentives to work harder

2. Great group of people, but I wouldn't want to work there.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at RJLG full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly "Family" environment with many interesting assignments and a divested domain. CEO will take any opportunity that is scientific in nature and that he can see a profit in.

Cons

Poor organizational structure and lack of leadership and ability to execute on the direction of the CEO. Capital management and finance are not disciplined and not every domain represents the company's best interests.

Nepotism reigns supreme

Former Employee - Manager in Monroeville, PA
    Former Employee - Manager in Monroeville, PA

I worked at RJLG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are related to the owner, or one of his cronies - then things will be great. There are some nice people working there. Interesting technologies and projects, when the right contracts are won.

Cons

Low wages, and you will be "low-balled" and taken advantage of even more if you are out of work/laid off when you apply. Personnel are not reviewed annually or on any regular basis at all. Some people have gone over 10 years making the same rate. People are working with toxic substances, sometimes without adequate training and knowledge of their rights. Friends and relatives are promoted to positions of authority, but may not be qualified. Many workers are generally disrespected; and there is little chance of growth. People driven to do better, improve or change things are pushed out.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect. Promote a safer workplace. Reorganize, and bring in some people with real management experience. Provide regular performance reviews and feedback.

5. Laboratory Technician I

Former Employee - Laboratory Technician I in Monroeville, PA
    Former Employee - Laboratory Technician I in Monroeville, PA

I worked at RJLG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It gets you some experience with feeling comfortable working in the laboratory environment although you use very little actual chemistry knowledge

Cons

No advancement or pay increases due to the financial instability of a sinking company that promotes guesswork as actual scientific data

Advice to Management

Take better care of the people who are rowing the boat or your boat will sink in less than 5 years

6. DEAD END JOB

Former Employee - Lab Technician in Monroeville, PA
    Former Employee - Lab Technician in Monroeville, PA

I worked at RJLG

Pros

As a second income of if your spouse has a good job

Cons

No raises ever, supervisors with less education than the people under them, a good way to enter seems to be through maintenance

Advice to Management

Grow a pair. Learn to respect the "second class citizen" We make your check clear, you dont work for it!!!

7. Learned a Lot!

Former Employee - Scientist I in Monroeville, PA
    Former Employee - Scientist I in Monroeville, PA

I worked at RJLG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a very academic environment and the people I worked with were good teachers, for lack of a better work. They provided and encouraged continuing education as I worked there. It also looks great on a resume.

Cons

Some times you get thrown into crazy hours because of deadlines and the compensation was low. They word their job requirements such that a high school education is the pay grade, but prefer college or graduate school. Basically if you don't have a PhD, its hard to support yourself.

8. Flexibility, great benefits and a company that performs some very interesting work!

Current Employee - Manager in Monroeville, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Monroeville, PA

I have been working at RJLG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At this point in the health care arena - how many companies still offer a plan with no deductible, 100% coverage and only copays for dr. visits and prescriptions? RJLG does! The company gives you 1x annual salary in life insurance coverage and 60% long term disability coverage for free! On top of vacation, you get 5 sick days and 3 personal days per year - the benefits are really good! It is a family run business and family oriented - flexibility in schedule is a plus!!!! Some brilliant minds here - great/interesting project work! Quite a few employees with long tenure, too! Promotes from within! Lots of charity/community service work!

Cons

Not that these are cons - but some of the sensitive areas: I get that we don't get regular raises - the owner is very into research and development. I can't help but wonder out loud with some of the reviews that list these things as negatives why the employees stay then? As with any company/job, If the positives don't outbalance the negatives, then find another job!

Advice to Management

A balance of R&D work and everything else

9. Great work environment but not great pay.

Current Employee - Lab Technician in Monroeville, PA
    Current Employee - Lab Technician in Monroeville, PA

I have been working at RJLG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Schedules are flexible! I love my coworkers. Very much a family atmosphere within the company. Work can be very engaging. Project based work meaning that there are a lot of different things going on at once.

Cons

Pay is not high enough for work being done. Can be working with hazardous materials. When projects aren't coming in work can be slow.

Advice to Management

Recognize employees that are trained in multiple departments and thank them for it.

It all depends on who your manager is.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monroeville, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monroeville, PA

I worked at RJLG full-time

Pros

- Work schedule flexibility - Extremely interesting projects - Day-to-day variety in work - Generally friendly co-workers - Extremely intelligent employees

Cons

- Ongoing financial instability - Lack of executive vision -- either short-term or long-term - Executives view most employees solely in the context of how much money they make - Senior employees are often content with things "as is," not particularly passionate nor willing to embrace any change - Highly siloed infrastructure and a lack of intra-department cooperation

Advice to Management

Many scientists serving as managers are not effective managers, which hurts morale.

DEAD END !!!!

Current Employee - Lab Tech in Monroeville, PA
    Current Employee - Lab Tech in Monroeville, PA

I have been working at RJLG full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, location, free parking.

Cons

Pay, Must be family friend or relative to advance, Mostly unqualified people with meaningless titles and no chance to work in a real lab, Some employees analyze and sign off on reports with inferior education and managements approval. All employees credentials should be reviewed.

Advice to Management

Set clear chains of commands and follow them. Make and enforce rules.

RSS Feed </> Embed