RK Mechanical

Updated May 28, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Rick Kinning

Great education, if you can hang in there.

Denver, CO

ProsThey recruit good employees and have lots of work. The provide a great education to new hires out of college. Benefits are good, wellness program is top notch.

ConsLong hours for low pay and lack of appreciation. Employees dont feel as if they are needed. High turnover makes people feel unstable. Extremely competitive environment to work in between employees. Owner is not someone you want to help "get rich."

Overall pretty good, some things could be better.

Fort Collins, CO

ProsGreat company with outstanding goals. Great people to work with in a fast paced environment.

ConsCompensation is subpar, base pay and benefits aren't very competitive.

Project Engineer

Denver, CO

ProsAlways room to move around and advance.

ConsCut-throat environment, low pay and very little upper management support.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees and do not just blow off their opinions or concerns.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Challenging but satisfying

Project Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsI am given plenty of opportunity to work on different project, and different responsibilities.

ConsLittle training. It is more of a sink or swim philosophy. I have been given tasks with little direction. If I succeed, I am praised; if I don't do so well, I am given instruction on how to do better.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more training.

Project Manager

ProsThe company has potential to become great.

ConsCan be complicated as times with directives from top management.

They have a lot of potential to be a good company but poor organization and communication hamper operations.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsThey have good intentions for wellness and work/life balance. Pay isn't bad.

ConsPoor follow through, planning, organization and communication within the company. Everything is held together with band-aids that do not address the real problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry planning a meeting with an agenda. Encourage and communicate positive affirmation to your employees. Don't tear them down constantly.

Amazing Place To Work!!!!!

Estimator (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsVery friendly working environment. Personally feedback and communication with upper management. Learning Opportunities. Free Apprenticeship Program. Amazing place to work.

ConsSome tech issues, but getting solved. Very busy environment. New hires thrown into the fire quickly.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe work environment can get very busy and some new employees, especially the one right out college, can get thrown into the fire very quickly. Sort of a sink or swim tactic. Granted, this worked for me and it opens up so many possibilities for an employee to learn and grow, but some can find themselves overwhelmed in how fast paced the company can get. I would advise the application of a mentorship program on the office side of the company so new employees don’t find themselves drowning and lost in this busy environment. I have been given so many opportunities to grow in the company and I have been there for less than a year. If you do not find yourself advancing it is because you as an employee are not asking to advance. The management here at RK look for those that are dedicated and eager to learn, grow, advance, be inventive, and explore new ways the company grow. Without this drive, like many other large companies, the standard 8am-5pm employee will find themselves stuck in a loop and never get out of the rut they have created. Finally, management has always noticed the extra hours you put, and will even commented and take notice of this. You get noticed for the work you put in. It is that simple.

Bring Back Ron.

Pipefitting Project Foreman (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsThe paychecks never bounced and they almost always had work and OK equipment.

ConsThey always made promises they had no intention of keeping. I worked as a foreman for 3 years and made the company money only to see people promoted around me simply because of who they new or who their dad was.

I was not the only one doing the work and getting no credit for it, the seem to have a problem noticing with who put the hours in and who just talked the talk.

I think Rick really wished his dad had started something other than a construction company. He was always more in to investing in appearances than the people or equipment to do the job right. Case in point they spent thousands to redecorate the CAD department, but refused to replace the outdated broken down computers and network that the department ran on. He was also more concerned about forming alliances with general contractors than enforcing the safety culture he gave so much lip service to.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop with the promises and the two minutes hate, and actually take care of your people instead of just telling them how well you are taking care of them.

Ask your Dad to come back and help out for the third time, you may be good at building a business, but you should leave the operation to him.

Frustrating!! It"s a battle with poor Management

Level II HVAC Service Tech (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsThere is some very professional,True Tradesmen in the service department. The company has been around so long that for the most part work is steady and the vehicles and equipment are new and for the most part in great shape

ConsThe biggest downside is very poor leadership. The managers have no training or skills in people communications and way to often close their ears and open their mouths when the opposite is what is needed. They fail to understand that respect is earned.

Advice to Senior ManagementClose your mouths long enough to listen to what your people have to say!!. Exchange is the building blocks of growth!!. Install people that realize that we are there to perform services for our customer base and that your inability to separate your personal egos from that of your responsibility's of the well being of the companys ability to grow and prosper. Install a leader that can build a emploee base from the bottom up!!. That means recruit and train from the level 4 to the level 1. Loyalty is grown, not plugged in!!. You can not point to any current person because we do not have at this time a skilled leader in place capable of fostering such a program. The ten years gone by prove that !!. The lack of true tenured techs prove that!!. Let those that are good at policing if our vans are dirty or shirts tucked in do just that !!. Is it time for a change!. One would have to say yes when we look back on all the years gone by , and we can not show one tenured tech that came up from a 4 to a 1??. The unreal amount of turn over of techs!! Is it that they were all bad, That many bad ,Common sense would say no.If you would really look close i think you might find it is the fault of the those incharge. Those ivested with the responsibility to implement a program to grow a top notch, loyal work force!. Simple,Has the management done that?. If you look close and are honest,Leave your egos at the door!! What did you come up with for a answer?. In ten years you have developed how many top level techs. Was this really what you had for a answer when you put in place the current management team ten years ago??. Hope you answered no!!. Listen you too can learn.

not the place you would want to work

Denver, CO

Prosiits a job,you normally get paid on time and some of the people there are great to wok with.

ConsTHE PAY IS NOT GOOD!!! some of middle management has no business in that position. You are threatend with layoff if you dont work all of the overtime thay want you too. Thay talk about respect but show the people getting the work done very little Thay talk about qaulity then turn around and tell you to hury up and get it done. I think to move up in the company its more whay you say you can do and not what you can really do.

Advice to Senior ManagementREAD THE CONS I realize this is construction there are deadlines,busy times and slow times. You need to listen to the people getting the work done a little more and middle management a little less i tink some of them are just telling you what thay think you want to hear and sometimes thay get in the way of getting things done instead of helping. I have noticed some people truout managment talk the talk but dont walk the walk and that makes other people feel that it is JUST TALK.

Worked for RK Mechanical? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at RK Mechanical reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for RK Mechanical CEO Rick Kinning. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by RK Mechanical employees.