RL Canning

Updated October 22, 2014
Updated October 22, 2014
3.2

CEO

Great Company - Family Oriented - But a holding pattern for employment for some -

Former Employee - Risk Remediation Analyst in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Risk Remediation Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at RL Canning full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Worked for RL canning for 2 years -
    Great opportunity to learn if your just getting your foot in the door -
    Amazing team - Was sorry to leave them behind
    Owners/Upper mgt really do seem to care about there employees

Cons

Advanced limited if not in Chicago area,
    Competitive pay
    Benefits are costly for family
    Experienced employees are not challenged enough so it becomes a holding pattern on growth

Too keep top talent you have to listen to your employees - Salary is comparable but if benefits reduce the competitiveness people will need to move elsewhere not because they want too but financially they have too.

Great experience and opportunity

Former Employee - Desktop Support in Norcross, GA
    Former Employee - Desktop Support in Norcross, GA

I worked at RL Canning as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I Had a 6 week contract that got extended another 6 weeks. It was good pay and a great group of people to work with.

Cons

After the contract was up, I never heard back on any other possible work. I'm not sure if they never had any more in the area or not.

Company does not appreciate hard working employees

I have been working at RL Canning full-time

Pros

Great goals. Fair benefits. Positive outlook.

Cons

Horrible execution of goals by management. The only way to be successful is to be fake? I disagree with this attitude and refuse to act this way. Almost all management have little to no IT experience and yet they are selling IT professionals to the client.

Practice what you preach. Learn to see through the smoke screens that your chosen management put up. Hire some intelligent people to lead your teams. And pay your employees what they should be paid in this field. Only then will you be successful. Otherwise, the turnover rate will continue to increase and you will lose all of the honest hard working people.

These 5 star reviews are a JOKE!

I worked at RL Canning full-time (less than a year)

Pros

None, Plus the 5 star reviews are obviously planted.

Cons

OK so if you look at the other reviews, they are all very bad reviews. Obviously RL Canning noticed this website and the bad reviews. So over a 5-6 week time frame (notice all the others are very spread out) suddenly they get a spat of 5 star reviews. Obviously these are planted by RL Canning management. They are very general about how "wonderful" this company is. This company is one of the worst I have every worked for. This company really doesn't want any professionals who really know their stuff, because then you have a brain. They just want young people, with minimal experience and no certifications, who will do want exactly what they say with no questions. Even if what they say isn't best practice and they end up being trained incorrectly. Or worse they just let them out on their own to try and do their best. They love firing people and turn over is horrendous.

Nothing because they don't care about their employees as people.

Great owners but poor management at Springfield, IL location

Former Employee - Entry Level in Springfield, IL
    Former Employee - Entry Level in Springfield, IL

I worked at RL Canning full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Owners know everyone's name and are very friendly. Good benefits. Great co-workers. Recruiters did a good job of staying in touch after being hired on.

Cons

I was there 5 months. In this timeframe, 4 people quit and an additional 4 were let go, with a staff of under 50 employees. This shows poor management at a local level. The manager is a micro-manager but very hands off. She spends very little time with managers under her as well. There is no way to know the expectations because she never takes the time to explain it to you.

Instead of allowing management in Springfield, IL location to let people go so quickly and quit so frequently, look at having a talk with the manager. One person cannot solely run an organization. It requires a good manager and teamwork.

Excellent employer - cares about their employees.

I worked at RL Canning full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Supports professional development goals
    - Listens to employee concerns and takes action where necessary
    - Offers competitive salary and benefits
    - Supports work / family balance
    - Encourages idea sharing; each employee can make a difference
    - Genuine attempts to ensure employees were connected to one another

Cons

- Employees are distributed; less of a connection to company colleagues
    - Key individuals hired into mgmt positions did not possess the skills to execute the role successfully (can attribute to employee attrition)
    - Career path opportunities are minimal (depends upon role)

- Continue on the path of excellence; your organization is world-class
    - Never lose focus of the most important aspect of the business: the people (employees)

So Far So Good....

Current Employee - Engineer in Des Plaines, IL
    Current Employee - Engineer in Des Plaines, IL

I have been working at RL Canning full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Anytime i need anything - my team mates are there to help - only a phone call away. I think I'll be able to stick around a while (feels good) - have not had any issues.

Cons

So far so good - hoping it stays this way. I've worked for a couple of consulting companys in my past and things appear to be better here.

Please don't try and grow too fast - been there done that - it does not always turn out like planned (getting bigger as a company too fast).

A great, family oriented employer to work for and with.

Current Employee - Site Support
    Current Employee - Site Support

I have been working at RL Canning full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with RL Canning for over three years and can say that they are a great family oriented employer. You feel like part of a team and not just a number. Your input and opinions are valued and I have always felt as though I can speak my mind. There are many opportunities to grow.

Cons

I would like more interaction with leadership. However, I understand that we are all busy.

Maintain the family oriented environment.

Very opportunistic and supportive company

I have been working at RL Canning full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity for growth. Ideas are validated with opportunity to put into action. Leadership is supportive, but honest helping in quicker learning and personal growth.

Cons

No cons in my experience working here.

Keep doing what you are doing. You are making a difference in providing service to your customers.

Great Company

I have been working at RL Canning full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Solid company which is growing fast, family environment, everyone treats each other with respect regardless of their title.
    Career growth opportunities, as long as, you are motivated and willing to earn it.
    Management always seems to do what is in the best interest of their employees, and the appreciation shown to employees is amazing.

I have been with this company for 4 year and couldn't be happier, it's nice to be able to wake up and look forward to going to work in the morning. We work hard, no doubt, but it is worth it and very rewarding.

Cons

I really don't have any "Cons" in regards to this company, I have seen them grow my last 4 years of employment and it is extremely impressive.

Just keep doing what your doing, you are respected and appreciated.