RLG International

Be The First To
Add Photos

Keith Cross

Great work, interesting company

ProsThere are some amazing people at the front-line.
    The work is very rewarding.
    Outstanding benefits package.

ConsBig disconnect between workers and senior leadership team. In the years I've been here, the senior team has only visited our team once.

Employee ownership plan is pitched as an amazing deal and has been in the past but something feels very wrong with it.

Advice to Senior ManagementVisit your employees. Listen to them.

It's not 1985 anymore. It's great that the old strategy has worked for so long but refusing to modernize is a recipe for disaster.

Effective business model with Great Client results

Project Manager (Current Employee)

ProsAutonomy to do the right things for the client

ConsMove to new client site every 18 months - moving expenses not fully covered. ROTA challenging.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsistency of policy application goes a long way.

Not all is positive under the hood.

ProsOpportunity to learn and hone your skills in project management.

ConsProject-based so lots of doubt and uncertainty where you will go next or if you will continue working. Little respect for your off-time.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for

ProsGood work-life balance. Company promotes learning and personal growth. Flat organization without layers of management. Employee-owned company and it is the employees option to purchase shares.

ConsEmployees must be willing to relocate every 12-24 months or work projects involving a Mon-Fri commute from home or rotation projects with 1/2 the time away from home

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more details on strategies to reach the company's goals rather than just telling us that the goal is to grow the business

Machiavellian Management, Absentee Leadership

Performance Coach (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsBecause a big chunk of the performance coaches come from a particular religious and/or military background, the lowest level (PMs) is made up of a friendly, polite, and altogether well-meaning bunch.

ConsRLG's managerial style reminds me of a quote from the series "House of Cards" that goes: The road to power is paved with hypocrisy and casualties but never regret.
    Unlike the show's antihero however, when one gets thrown under the bus at this company, there is neither fair warning nor an explanation afterwards. So while the cultish rhetoric suggests that this is one type of company, the business practices indicate something altogether opposite.

Advice to Senior ManagementHow is it that with very few exceptions, the cream doesn't manage to rise to the top in this organization?

Self-described masters of smoke & mirrors

Performance Coach (Current Employee)

ProsGreat opportunity to gain experience for those lacking in this area
    You might get hired today and be flown out to coach a client tomorrow
    Lots of travel (mileage accumulation)
    Generally nice co-workers

ConsPay is paltry compared to the competition
    Many of the best coaches and Team Leads have left or are in the process of leaving *wink-wink*
    12+ hour days, 7 days a week are standard on rotational assignments
    Only two project options exist: Uproot your family for every new assignment, or leave them for 3-4 weeks at a time
    Project set-up and project quality come second to selling projects
    Company "retreats" are used to push company stock on employees and their spouses
    Some spouses have refused to ever attend one again because of the high pressure sales
    Clients are not always willing to work with Oil & Gas outsiders, and no one in management cares as long as you can sweep this minor detail under the rug, and make sure that the check-signer only hears peachy stories of "drastic progress"
    Team leads are oftentimes those who've failed to secure higher paying jobs with the competition and can be fairly jaded
    There is a fair bit of religious integration in this organization

Advice to Senior ManagementThere happens to be an inverse relationship between the leadership ability of Business Unit Leaders and their height. Look into this phenomenon closely - it's not just your imagination - ask your employees.

Thoughtful company that offers great benefits, reasonable pay, but tiresome rotational/relocation based work.

Performance Coach (Current Employee)

ProsUltimately the Benefits are great, and you get the opportunity to work with great people deploying a good service/product.

ConsRotational work that often lands you in less than satisfactory living conditions, or Relocation based work that requires constant relocations to remote locations.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeek to understand and fully utilize the skill sets of the amazing people that you hire. This often gets missed as people are all utilized in the same manner, and talent is often lost as a result. Increase the pay, and 401(k) match to be more competitive with other consulting firms.

It is a pleasure working for a company that lives what it teaches.

Performance Coach (Current Employee)

ProsIf you like variety, challenge and adventures RLG provides is a great company to work for. Compensation is mid-range to start with good progression with good performance. Working with a network of like minded peers who like to work hard to influence organizational performance and have fun, was a real attraction for me.

ConsYou need to be open to relocation and/or being away for rotational work.

Interesting work experience with some unpleasant sectarian touch

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood to gain experience in performance management.
    Comparable with competitors salary.
    Some good colleagues to work with.

ConsAt least 60/40 out-of-home time schedule.
    12+ hrs/day, 7/7 work week on project side is almost a must.
    Only rotation or relocation option for family. Often to very back-country.
    Company shares do not make difference in your salaries until you are BU, or team lead. But promoted and appreciated as "company loyal".
    Limited growth opportunity in company.
    "Religious" approach to inner company team building.
    Vast difference in PMs and team leads skills. From very experienced ones to frankly unprofessional ones.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

RLG is a fabulous company with a positive culture that values employees.

Project Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGood work/life balance. Competitive pay. Solid benefits. Stock ownership. Flat organisation with advancement opportunities. Culture of learning and continuous improvement.

ConsLimited geographic opportunities due to heavy concentration in certain industries. One typically must relocate every 2-4 yrs or work on a fly in - fly out basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be good to have more transparency about international relocation packages.

Worked for RLG International? Contribute to the Community!