RLI

RLI President, CEO, and Director Jonathan E. Michael

Jonathan E. Michael

growing company

Misc (Former Employee) Peoria, IL

ProsGreat culture, benefits, growth environment.

ConsThere are really no cons to working at RLI.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Misled when "hired" for a temp-to-hire position.

Remittance Processing Clerk (Former Employee) Peoria, IL

ProsBetter than no job at all.

ConsI left a part-time job that I loved, because I was led to believe that RLI was going to hire me on a temp-to-hire basis. I was to work full 40 hour, 9-5 work-weeks as a temporary employee until then. On my first day there, the other employees told me that they were all part-time employees, some of them temps, and that the company did not like to hire their "temps". There was even one girl that had been "temping" for 1 1/2 years, and they still had not hired her as a regular employee! During my time there, I NEVER had a 40 hour work week. It was always closer to 30 hours, and not even close to the 9-5 hours I was told it would be. Nobody wanted to train me, and when I would ask a question about the work, the lady whom I was supposed to ask would always get mad and sometimes tell me she didn't have time to train me. I finally left after I found another job, but I have always been bitter about RLI for misleading me the way they did. If I had known that was going to happen, I would have stayed at the part time job that I loved!

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more careful when you mess with people's lives. I was led to believe this would be a full time job with benefits, but because it was not, my family had to go without health insurance, until I found employment elsewhere.

Good solid company

Underwriter (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGreat company to work for. Strong leadership and overall well management company. Good pay, good benefits and a fair bonus program. Good work/life balance with flexible hours and being able to do work at home with a remote desktop. Had to leave the company due to spouse's job opportunity being out of state.

ConsSome systems and process are a bit antiquated. Investing in building new systems could increase efficiency drastically.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great financial rating at the cost of employees.

(Current Employee)

Pros- Decent bonuses
    - Flexible hours
    - Home Office support staff

Cons- Cutting small costs at the lower levels such as no printers and spending millions updating Home Office with state of the art electronics, work spaces and executives with large TV Monitors in their offices.
    -Rarely promoting from within at the field level then only based on personality/friendship not knowledge and experience.
    -Communication within each office. (Employee's disappear and then days to weeks later you realize that employee was fired)

Advice to Senior ManagementPrior to Mr. Stephens retiring all employee's were treated with respect and were considered valuable resources and moral shined. Moral is at an all time low due to multiple reasons but mostly due to the attitude of field management/underwriters that have been hired that do not have the social skills, morals or ethics to lead an office let alone a company.

A great place to work if you are one of the in crowd

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome very bright people work here however they are too fixated on this. Head office has a very small town feel. A very good bonus pool

ConsHave bought into the idea that they are very bright. Poor corporate communications. Ideas from outside the core are generally ignored.

Backwoods old boys club with poor management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-Set hours, no need for overtime
    -Stock options, 401K match

Cons-Management does not treat each worker as an individual, more like cogs in a machine, and do not provide guidance or encouragement
    -No room for advancement
    -Office interaction is limited and discouraged
    -Lack of understanding new technology; most of the people here are older and do not know how to do things online, use Excel correctly. This includes people in charge.
    -Managers frequently gossip about other employee's personal matters.
    -Pay here is, on average, less than industry standard
    -Benefits are not as good as they want you to believe
    -Operations department is understaffed and unappreciated
    -Underwriting staff is treated like upper class; operations staff (who does most of the work) is treated like they are idiots when that is just not true
    -Lack of religious tolerance. One employee was told they could not take "Jew" holidays off.

Advice to Senior Management-Training for all employees even management to keep them up to date on new technology (or old, HELLO everybody should know how to do an Excel spreadsheet correctly)
    -Encourage departments to communicate openly and suggest ideas for streamlining; let them tell you how things can be improved and how to help each other. You work at the same company- act like it.
    -Give managers some training on how to actually manage

Good

ProsYour co-workers are helpful and supportive.

ConsManagement does not provide advancement from within.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport and encourage the development of workers with a good track record.

Worked for RLI? Contribute to the Community!