RM Education

www.rm.com

RM Education Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014
RM Education – Abingdon – “RM Real Centre”

Not yet rated.

David Brooks

not much to say

Prosnot much to say about it

Consnot much growth opportunity in it

Contract at RM Education

Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee) Stoke-on-Trent, England (UK)

ProsVery good support from management and colleagues
    Good career progressions

ConsProcedures and paperwork are too lengthy

Advice to Senior ManagementWe all need procedures, but I heard far to many grumbles from customers regarding the steps required to make changes to systems/applications/hardware, and I have to agree.

Poor salary, grads with no experience given jobs over experienced staff. no loyalty and poor leadership.

Team Leader (Former Employee) Didcot, England (UK)

Prosbenefits, training, colleagues, supportive if you have children

ConsSalary, poor leadership. no customer or staff loyalty. Too many silos of information poor mid management. holidays expected to be taken during school holidays even if you don't have children.

Advice to Senior Managementscrap your grad program and hire people with the right experience. and remember no matter how you try to avoid it you are a m4 corridor company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Such a shame

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMost of the people there are fairly friendly.

ConsLots of management cliques. Progression is based on who you are mates with in the office and not ability. Senior management make a pretence of listening to customer facing staff but in reality it makes no difference.
    It's hard to see how they will still be in business in 5 years

Advice to Senior Management1. Listen to staff
    2. Sack whoever suggested you should stop selling computers to schools.

Unpredictable

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt's a job at the end of the day!

ConsYou are expected to go out your way to do things for people/company and it never gets recognized.
    Expected to work long hours
    Rumors going round in Nov 13' that the RM Shop was going to close and redundancy's.
    My friend was told her job was safe by management and her contract was extended, as she was going to accept another job - the next week she was made redundant.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have worked in three different areas of the Company and all management are the same: don't want to hear negativity or problems only successes and ways to show how great they are as managers!

Not employee focused with no products to sell

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNone. Leadership is full of cliques and progression is not based on ability. No products to sell to schools and arrogant when dealing with customers

ConsManagement, cliques. Communication is poor. Services have been outsourced, views not listened to by management. Expect lots for little retueb

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't allow people to be promoted because they know somebody

Bloated company with out-of-touch senior management

ProsThere is some interesting technology dotted around, although the opportunity to use it doesn't simply come to you, you have to find out yourself through gossip and then fight your way to get to it.

I work in the 'ISP' section of the company. Unlike other small-medium ISPs, there is the opportunity here to get your hands on practically every aspect of the entire network - although that's probably partially due to over-trusting engineers that the company won't even bother to train. It's good because you can see some in-depth tech that you wouldn't normally be able to, but it's mostly outdated and undocumented.

There are some good people at RM, but most of them are in the process of leaving in one way or another and I can see many more following suit shortly.

ConsSenior management seem completely out of touch with the people on the ground. 80% of an engineers day is spent fighting a losing battle against an over-utilised and under-powered infrastructure that is desperate for investment and care. Nothing proactive ever happens for most of the department, it's nearly all just reactive to all of the issues that crop up every hour. No matter how much you explain that a particular environment needs investment and resource immediately, it falls on deaf ears and they simply continue ploughing in with the latest 'cool' trend (RM Neon, RM Unify, etc.) and anything over a year old is forgotten about until it completely fails - at which point they claim to be furious about the fact thousands of customers have no access to something they deem crucial and demand that it be fixed. Sigh.

One rule for one, one for another. It's quite a 'loose' place to work. Some people seem to follow all of the processes, others make a big deal about all the processes that are in place, and then just do their own thing and accidentally knock out a service that 5000 or so customers were using and then accept no responsibility. It's quite a lawless environment which is infuriating when you're in the team that are dealing with the upkeep of the estate.

Don't expect training. I don't know anyone at the company that ever had training. You basically join to X team and then you're expected to just figure out how it all works using your own investigation skills and the ageing and outdated internal knowledge library. Once you've been in a particular position for so long, huge projects will be dumped on you regardless of your skills, yet training still won't appear - hope you didn't need your lunch or evenings.

Overall, not a great place to work. The pay is 'ok', the people are hit and miss, senior management only listen to the 'cool' stuff and don't care (maybe don't understand?) about older infrastructure, documentation is non-existent (engineers are very 'fad' at RM, develop something they're really excited about, then as soon as they're done - move on to the next, no documentation, clean up etc), hours are long, on-call is a joke as the entire infrastructure is falling to pieces and generally morale is low. Many great engineers have disbanded in the last 6 months and many more will soon follow.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart listening to your engineers. You may not think X system is important because it's being decommissioned within a year, but the lights need to stay on. The only place the lights ever stay fully on is on an engineers bedside table as they're up all night on their laptop on-call, trying to fix whichever antiquated system has chosen to commit suicide on any given particular night/weekend.

Badly managed, supplying expensive units of behind the times technology

Sales Executive (Current Employee)

ProsThey have a graduate scheme.

ConsVery poorly managed, push RM values to the end users as being a wholesome company however this is not the case internally. The equipment they sold was behind the times in terms of technology but priced as a premium product. They have some good external staff who keep them on vendor lists in each area, this just means schools are forced to spend with RM where they could get double their IT footprint from an up to date IT company (Dell, HP).

Managed services engineering a mixed bag.

Customer Support Engineer (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsSome opportunity for progression, where working for schools directly can be pretty dead end.

If you're lucky, you work in a decent team and get good social events, however in my experience these have become less and less common.

If you're doing a good job they will make some effort to retain you, but their offers aren't usually very competitive.

Reasonable opportunity to work with a range of technologies and locations.

If you like working in a school environment, but don't like having to go to staff meetings, or having a line manager on your back, then you are usually fairly free to work essentially under your own initiative (although there are set 'RM' ways to do things).

ConsPay/Progression usually means having to work in a different location to where you were previously.

Doing a good job at a particular site appears to be unrecognised - despite the money you may be saving the company by avoiding penalties, or money made by selling new equipment you will not see any commission, reward or pay advancement - the only way seems to be to move to another location or harder job.

Depending on management you often get change for the sake of change - engineers doing a good job and well settled at particular schools get moved to a different one - perception of management seems to be that if they keep reshuffling the pieces they'll eventually find a perfect fit, ignorant of the fact that this is needlessly stressing good engineers, and the 'difficult sites' usually just have poor engineers. In my experience there was no pay increment despite moving to considerably larger site, and getting a longer commute - vague promises of future advancement to a more inconvenient mobile role instead...

The Apprentice scheme is a complete joke in terms of actual opportunities for them post scheme - not one ex apprentice is still with the company. It's essentially a scheme for cheap labour, although RM aren't the only company to use it in this way. As an engineer this means that as soon as you've got one apprentice up to a reasonable standard, you get to look forward to saying goodbye to them and training up another clueless beginner.

I was enrolled in a company share scheme and really they shouldn't have bothered - dividend cheques tended to be in the range of £0.10, and having left the company my £50 of shares has been scalped for £30 by Capita share services (whether I sold or retained them) and £10 for the taxman - a complete waste of time for something that has left me not even £10 richer - felt more like an insult than a perk.

More broadly, pay has failed to remain competitive now that the economy has picked up a bit - new engineers hired have been of a low standard, RM are happy to spend a fortune on contractors (often themselves incompetent) to plug gaps while good engineers, unrewarded, move onto greener pastures.

Don't expect much in the way of training- you tend to have to learn things for yourself.

Advice to Senior ManagementScrap the share scheme or make it worthwhile.

Have more transparent and flexible pay policies - too many good employees are being lost as managers are unable to pay what it takes to keep them, or reward good/long service. Start engineers on trial wages, and if they are good, give them an increment. Engineers with knowledge of RM processes and software are simply more valuable than those with none.

Set up proper teleconferencing - right now you're spending a fortune on mobile calls to powwownow.

Spend a bit more money on training - employees are struggling with things because they simply don't have the knowledge they ought. Induction for new employees in managed services is poor. Demoralising for more senior engineers as they are having to continually assist or repair damage done by others.

A good employer for whom I would not hesitate to work for again

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Abingdon, England (UK)

ProsIt was a very friendly environment with many RMrs having been there for many years. Despite this it was very outward looking and was small enough to make changes in reaction to their environment

ConsThere was some disconnect with systems used by different departments which caused a lack of understanding as to what each department did. This may have improved since I left however

Worked for RM Education? Contribute to the Community!