RM Education Reviews

2.3

David Brooks

not much to say

I have been working at RM Education full-time

Pros

not much to say about it

Cons

not much growth opportunity in it

Great

Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at RM Education as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

It was a good place to work

Cons

I do not have any cons

Stay good.

A once delightful place to work that has lost it's sense of direction, integrity and ethical honesty.

I worked at RM Education full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible career opportunities. Small company feel.

Cons

Company lacks direction. The values that the company once stood for are now lost in a 'do as you're told' environment. Poor support, poor communications. Constant change without giving each new method long enough to work

Start listening to your tenured employees and stop believing that the directors have all the answers. Your front line employees are way more valuable than you give them credit for. Listen to them and stop over working them.

A hitherto great company to work for struggling to define what it stands for...with employee satisfaction suffering

Former Employee - Team Leader in Abingdon, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Abingdon, England (UK)

I worked at RM Education full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Colleagues have always been great at RM - during my 8+ years I was always readily helped by other teams and individuals. High level of engagement by the workforce - the people in this company do actually care about the end users and ultimately RMs ability to assist in enhancing customer's ability to teach and learning to be better.

Cons

High level of 'Silo-ing' and too much concern over internal cost centres and wooden dollar accounting; top down MGMT control rigorous, low level of employee contribution to ideas and enhancements. Pay average for sector, possibly below average for senior techs and PMs. Benefits package has taken a beating over the years, company car choice is Henry Ford esque. Generally a baseline of high concern on future redundancies and a growing cynicism that RM is any different from a run of the mill medium sized corp. Often serious issues are visible ahead of time but processes aren't nimble enough to avoid. As the company struggles to model itself on previous transitors from HW makers to Software and Services (citing IBM as an model (!)) goodwill has been lost with customers who also are struggling to understand what RM stand for and why they can't use RM as a 'one stop shop' like they used to.

Lack of focus on what customers want - high spend on dev of products that have scant take up (RM Neon).

Assessment and Data Services (RM Assessment, RM Data) - very much the high flying part of the operation, a lot of the perceived talent is drained to this wing. A feeling exists within the business that this part of RM will be retained as (1) its scalable internationally in a way no other RM products were and (2) despite high risks high rewards are being made...with a fear the rest of the company may be broken up and sold off in the near future.

Invest in a network product - ideally shared public/private cloud based.

Make some acquisitions of brighter, more nimble operators in areas where RM is weak eg onsite support services.

Stop insisting RM are whatever customers want them to be - true for some but other, smaller customers are screaming out to be guided more authoritatively.

Unless you are a permanent employee, they will drop you and pick you up when they feel like it.

Former Employee - First Line Support in Bellshill, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - First Line Support in Bellshill, Scotland (UK)

I worked at RM Education as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The best part of working for RM was the team I worked in. We had a small team who all got on well. We got rewards every once in a while in the form of pizza Friday's etc.

Cons

I was on a contract. Always unsure of wether the contract would be extended. Permenant employee's had holiday and sick pay etc which we werent entitled to. They also were invited to big events that contractors could not attend

If contractors are hard working team members then offer them a permanent job and maybe there wont be so many people leaving.

Disgraceful use of Temporary Employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Abingdon, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Abingdon, England (UK)

I worked at RM Education full-time (more than an year)

Pros

the people, a place to get very comfortable, great friendly atmosphere.

Cons

Promises broken,wages lower than permenant staff members with same or more workload and responsabilities. Contracts ended without a job secured elsewhere, taking each day as it comes with no future plans or improvement, constant dissapointment with role oppurtunities, working harder then some temps for a fifth less wage, and no security for the future. I have been incredibally let down.

Keep your temps before knowledge is lost, dont keep temporary staff for more than 6 months, without agreeing a more secure position.

Review:

Former Employee - Sales in Abingdon, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales in Abingdon, England (UK)

I worked at RM Education full-time

Pros

Great training opportunities, with certain heads of department being fantastic. Company culture is good however you have to conform to the RM type...
    Strong support from other departments but this can often be slow and delayed and cause problems if what you want needs to be done hastily.
    Some real jems that work in the company if most definitely its saving grace.

Cons

Terrible back end processes, inflated prices, mixed with bad reputation in the market certainly makes life at RM more challenging then it should. Support can be poor from management but equally it can be very good dependant on the manager. Corporate giant and very corporate environment which can directly be seen by the customer with little room for flexibility.
    Large losses in staff recently that weren't made redundant speaks for itself

Contract at RM Education

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Stoke-on-Trent, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Stoke-on-Trent, England (UK)

I worked at RM Education as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Very good support from management and colleagues
    Good career progressions

Cons

Procedures and paperwork are too lengthy

We all need procedures, but I heard far to many grumbles from customers regarding the steps required to make changes to systems/applications/hardware, and I have to agree.

Some good ideas but poor equipment and poor management

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at RM Education full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The building is quite nice in oxfordshire, have some good ideas for assisted education.

Cons

Redundancies are common, their own products are old technology, the management and implementation of things is very poor. Yes men are sought after internally.

Poor salary, grads with no experience given jobs over experienced staff. no loyalty and poor leadership.

Former Employee - Team Leader in Didcot, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Didcot, England (UK)

I worked at RM Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

benefits, training, colleagues, supportive if you have children

Cons

Salary, poor leadership. no customer or staff loyalty. Too many silos of information poor mid management. holidays expected to be taken during school holidays even if you don't have children.

scrap your grad program and hire people with the right experience. and remember no matter how you try to avoid it you are a m4 corridor company.

RM Education Photos