RM Education

2.4

David Brooks

not much to say

I have been working at RM Education full-time

Pros

not much to say about it

Cons

not much growth opportunity in it

Great people, poor management

Former Employee - Web Editor in Abingdon, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Web Editor in Abingdon, England (UK)

I worked at RM Education

Pros

There was a good team atmosphere
    A place you could stay at for years

Cons

Little opportunity for advancement
    Appalling management
    Embarrassing brand image with customers

OK so you did badly this year. And the last year. The answer clearly is to keep yourself in jobs, and keep following the strategy. Oh, and sack about 100 useful people Maybe even award yourself a pay rise at the same time.

Prior to being made redundant, despite not being even in Sales, I had made over £300k in the last 6 months just from tracked email marketing. I mentioned this in my redundancy hearing. They were just looking to sack people. I was just a number. Someone above, not even aware of my role just sacked me. THANKS A LOT RM!

Unfair dismissal

Former Employee - Field Account Manager in Abingdon, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Field Account Manager in Abingdon, England (UK)

I worked at RM Education full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent pay
    Work life balance
    Time off policies

Cons

Leadership is shocking and constantly changing and being restructured
    I was unfairly dismissed without any previous informal or formal warnings based on the new manager not liking me
    In a team full of men, I am sure he was sexist and racist.

Need further training and proper disciplinary procedures in place.
    Just because you have been at the company for many years, does not mean you are fit to manage people.

RMs Get up and go got up and went. A once inspiring and energised company is now lost and hanging on by a thread

I worked at RM Education full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great people
    The benefits package is OK, but getting worse
    Newly refurbished office

Cons

Do as you're told culture
    'Boys club' - you'll only progress if you're in the gang or a real 'yes man'
    Once lively and friendly company that's lost its direction and asks too much from its employees with little reward or recognition

Listen to your front line employees, they know your customers better than you do. Stop changing every 3 months and give a change a chance to work - you're moving too many goal posts and confusing customers and employees alike. Put customer sat back at the heart of what you do and stop trying to treat Education like a business to business transactional world.

Not what it was

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Abingdon, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Abingdon, England (UK)

I have been working at RM Education (more than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of the people beneath heads of dept level are very committed and professional. Reasonable range of benefits. My particular department has an emphasis on improvement.

Cons

If something goes wrong then wait for the blame game and backstabbing to start (it will); poor processes lead to a lot of unnecessary work. Line management very variable. Communication generally poor.

More open and honest feedback, and 360s about management performance.

Good company to work for

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Thiruvananthapuram (India)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Thiruvananthapuram (India)

I worked at RM Education full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good office culture and training

Cons

Not satisfied in salary increments.

Salary increments can be made to make employees more happy and which will help to make them stay back for long.

RM give their employees a great level of development, training and cross sector experience, but tend to fail customers.

Current Employee - Field Account Manager in Leicester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Field Account Manager in Leicester, England (UK)

I have been working at RM Education full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The work life balance at RM is generally very good, and the management are keen to ensure sufficient staffing and policies are in place to ensure workloads are reasonable.
    The training for graduates at RM is exceptional, and they invest heavily in the programme to continue your professional development.
    Rm pay very well to entry level graduates, and will instantly treat you with respect, and a huge level of responsibility from the word go.

Cons

Internally RM staff are almost so self absorbed into the company that they are unaware of the real situation in the market - the company has consistently delivered bad service to schools and has built a terrible reputation over the years, yet there seems to be minimal effort on behalf of the product and internal staff to rectify this problem.
    The office culture is very cliquey, and you have to be a certain type of person to fit in well at RM, generally soft, willing to do anything they say, and also adept at believing the companies own hype despite the market trends and sliding profits suggesting otherwise.

Upper management need to completely overhaul how the company works and they need to make staff aware of the urgency of the weak situation they are in. They need to make everyone know that competitors are faster, more agile, deliver better service, and better value than they do.

Great

Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at RM Education as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

It was a good place to work

Cons

I do not have any cons

Stay good.

A hitherto great company to work for struggling to define what it stands for...with employee satisfaction suffering

Former Employee - Team Leader in Abingdon, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Abingdon, England (UK)

I worked at RM Education full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Colleagues have always been great at RM - during my 8+ years I was always readily helped by other teams and individuals. High level of engagement by the workforce - the people in this company do actually care about the end users and ultimately RMs ability to assist in enhancing customer's ability to teach and learning to be better.

Cons

High level of 'Silo-ing' and too much concern over internal cost centres and wooden dollar accounting; top down MGMT control rigorous, low level of employee contribution to ideas and enhancements. Pay average for sector, possibly below average for senior techs and PMs. Benefits package has taken a beating over the years, company car choice is Henry Ford esque. Generally a baseline of high concern on future redundancies and a growing cynicism that RM is any different from a run of the mill medium sized corp. Often serious issues are visible ahead of time but processes aren't nimble enough to avoid. As the company struggles to model itself on previous transitors from HW makers to Software and Services (citing IBM as an model (!)) goodwill has been lost with customers who also are struggling to understand what RM stand for and why they can't use RM as a 'one stop shop' like they used to.

Lack of focus on what customers want - high spend on dev of products that have scant take up (RM Neon).

Assessment and Data Services (RM Assessment, RM Data) - very much the high flying part of the operation, a lot of the perceived talent is drained to this wing. A feeling exists within the business that this part of RM will be retained as (1) its scalable internationally in a way no other RM products were and (2) despite high risks high rewards are being made...with a fear the rest of the company may be broken up and sold off in the near future.

Invest in a network product - ideally shared public/private cloud based.

Make some acquisitions of brighter, more nimble operators in areas where RM is weak eg onsite support services.

Stop insisting RM are whatever customers want them to be - true for some but other, smaller customers are screaming out to be guided more authoritatively.

Unless you are a permanent employee, they will drop you and pick you up when they feel like it.

Former Employee - First Line Support in Bellshill, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - First Line Support in Bellshill, Scotland (UK)

I worked at RM Education as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The best part of working for RM was the team I worked in. We had a small team who all got on well. We got rewards every once in a while in the form of pizza Friday's etc.

Cons

I was on a contract. Always unsure of wether the contract would be extended. Permenant employee's had holiday and sick pay etc which we werent entitled to. They also were invited to big events that contractors could not attend

If contractors are hard working team members then offer them a permanent job and maybe there wont be so many people leaving.

RM Education Photos