RPA Reviews

Reset
3.9
RPA President & CEO Bill Hagelstein
Bill Hagelstein

Pros
  • There can also be a good work-life balance, depending on what stage of a project you are in (in 16 reviews)

• It's hard to knock the paid happy hours as one of the better things about this agency (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • However, upper management does not expect you to work long hours as is common in the industry (in 6 reviews)

• Upper Management need to change (in 5 reviews)

1. Great agency!

Former Employee - Strategic Planner in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Strategic Planner in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at RPA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Underneath the "laid back" vibe at RPA there are some very smart, very nice and very supportive people. This is not a traditional 9-5, clock in, clock out agency: It is all about getting the work done. To say they are an "integrated" agency doesn't do justice to the huge amount of TV advertising they do. And because their business model is one overall cost center (as opposed to a collection of profit centers), they are truly media neutral.

Cons

They are still overly dependent on Honda, but the non-automotive side of their business is growing (e.g. Farmers Insurance). While they have great creative talent there, the real power seems to reside with account managers.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you are doing, and keep the collaborative culture going. Your philosophy of "doing the right thing" is spot on.

2. Production/Creative

Current Employee - Production/Creative in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Production/Creative in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at RPA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Over the past year this agency has changed for the better. The work is now world class across all clients. I'm truly proud of the work that is coming out of here. Some great new hire's have transformed this agency. I feel really valued here and feel excited to be a part of this fabulous team. This is not the RPA of old, no more resort vibe! Definitely giving Team One or Saatchi a run for their money as the quality Ad agency in LA.

Cons

Longer hours and added pressure to meet tight deadlines. The expectations are greater to excel ALL the time. Weekends are very common work days now.

Advice to Management

Keep going in this direction your employees thrive on great work and can do attitude. Don't forget that we don't appreciate a sweatshop environment, so at least ask if can work late rather than demand it. We know we have to meet a deadline we are professionals but a request is always better than a demand.

3. Great agency to start off at...and apparently return to later

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Los Angeles, CA

I worked at RPA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Diversity of clients -newly remodeled office space -plenty of holidays -Happy hours every other thursday (during summer)

Cons

-clique-y -not very many opportunities to grow -low compensation

Advice to Management

Being busy is good, but not to the point where you neglect your own team.

5. Great agency

Former Employee - Senior Art Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Art Director in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at RPA (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the best people I've ever worked with; Very intelligent and fun to work with. Honda was a great client. While you definitely work typical overtime agency hours, it's definitely not like that all of the time. It's an amazing place to start your career and grow quickly. As a jr, you're given a lot of opportunity to actually contribute to big projects.

Cons

Digital/Interactive design department was lacking. There was a lot of reorganization going on in the past couple of years.

6. Decent company

I worked at RPA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

friendly people, great office space.

Cons

Leadership is not the best. Accounts are mismanaged.

Advice to Management

Review processes in place. Most of them are old and stale and not up to par with competition.

Mediocrity City

I worked at RPA full-time

Pros

There is a better work life balance than at other agencies which is one of the few things I enjoyed here.

Cons

The work that gets approved tends to be conservative, straight, and non conceptual. Largely this is because of the client and even the account team, which holds all the cards and is generally afraid of the clients. This is not Goodby Silverstein, W&K, or CP&B. This is not a place where people put their neck on the line to fight for great work. I didn't have a review, promotion, or feedback on how I was doing the entire time I worked here. I worked with Creative Directors who had NO ideas for projects. None. Power hungry hacks were hired, promoted, and drove creativity and culture into the ground. If you do great work here it will be despite all of these obstacles. You will most likely quit for greener pastures, like so many before you.

Advice to Management

Promote those who truly do great work, not uncreative politicians.

8. Great Culture, Little Mobility

Former Employee - Integrated Media Planner in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Integrated Media Planner in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at RPA

Pros

Great place to work: Great people, hours, and attitude. Definitely deserves the "country club" moniker. Always striving to stay on trend.

Cons

I was in media planning, and there was just little opportunity for growth or even lateral movement. Some aspects of company culture felt forced or myopic.

A great place to get comfortable

Current Employee - Associate Creative Director in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Creative Director in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at RPA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work is pretty great. CDs are committed. The vibe is fun and you don't kill yourself working here. A great place for juniors to get experience, too.

Cons

People can get complacent. The pay isn't great. Many people here have never worked anywhere else and whine too much.

10. Good Place to Work

Former Employee - Project Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at RPA

Pros

It's not really a country club, but the people are great and the work is challenging.

Cons

The pay isn't as competitive as other agencies, but you do have a better work/life balance.

11. Amazing culture and great place to learn/grow

Current Employee - Account Executive in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at RPA

Pros

The people at RPA are amazing and it is a fun place to work, learn, and grow. Very supportive mentorship and lots of opportunities for growth. Great set of clients and great teams make for great work.

Cons

Really not many cons. Big agency sometimes mean there are a lot of people to pass work through, but it's for good reason.

RSS Feed </> Embed